Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Ugh, let's change the subject.

Any event before E3 Cass could be announced at?
I think they’d have to announce the next set of CaS pieces before getting to Cassandra. If that’s the case, then E3 would probably be our best bet for her.

Unless they want to hold things off and announce the CaS pieces there instead. Kappa

Africa is a cradle of humanity in a sense that apes evolved into humans in Africa, then those first humans stayed exclusively in Africa for some time, then some of them moved to other places and evolved in different ways there according to different environments (like lots of melanin is beneficial in hot sunny environment but is bad in colder places with less sunlight etc.). You can read more here.

They are citing University of Pennsylvania genetic scientists which are the source. Also if Africa is where first humans came from, it just makes logical sense for Africans to have the most genetic variety among everyone.

MKX to MK11 Kano is actually a good transition for a change. MKX to MK11 Cassie is ok, which is a rare exception for an MK11 female character.
Kotal is probably the best transition they did, Jacqui is hands down the worst of the worst. In general female characters got it much worse, also some males were definitely butchered as well, such as Johnny Cage.

Okay understood, I thought you were referring to the cradle of humanity as the cradle of civilisation, rather than the origins of humans.

The WaPo is also the same org. that shamed the man who discovered the human genome and posts filth such as 'can my [black] children be friends with whites', but w/e we are getting derailed...

Dunno if you saw my edit but I liked transitions in soulcal like astarath, raph, cervy, what do you make of those?

Dunno if you saw my edit but I liked transitions in soulcal like astarath, raph, cervy, what do you make of those?
As a general rule I'm completely ok with design changes that make logical sense. Like someone getting an eye patch is ok with me, because it is possible in real life to get an eye patch if you lose an eye, which can realistically happen. I'm ok with characters getting more or less tan because that is possible in real life. I'm ok with more wrinkles on characters that are getting older in-lore. I'm ok with characters getting more buff or growing some extra fat, those are all things that make sense.
I'm only not ok with changes that make no sense whatsoever like people's eyes/noses/lips/chins/etc changing shapes randomly for no in-lore reason, character's height fluctuating all over the place, characters switching ethnicities on a whim, boobs shrinking with no in-lore explanations and so on.

Raphael becoming a vampire is perfectly fine with me since it makes sense in a world of magic that is SoulCalibur, it's consistent with the lore. Cervantes going from a zombie to human again can be easily explained with more magic, so in theory it's fine, also SC5 could have used a better story mode to properly explain things. Astaroth is a magical golem monster who gets himself killed and rebuilt/reconstructed/resurrected multiple times, so he gets a pass for design changes.
The one SC character whose constant redesigns are the most questionable is really Lizardman, those redesigns make no logical sense, but nobody cares too much, because nobody is too attached to someone so inhuman and monsterous to begin with.

As a general rule I'm completely ok with design changes that make logical sense. Like someone getting an eye patch is ok with me, because it is possible in real life to get an eye patch if you lose an eye, which can realistically happen. I'm ok with characters getting more or less tan because that is possible in real life. I'm ok with more wrinkles on characters that are getting older in-lore. I'm ok with characters getting more buff or growing some extra fat, those are all things that make sense.
I'm only not ok with changes that make no sense whatsoever like people's eyes/noses/lips/chins/etc changing shapes randomly for no in-lore reason, character's height fluctuating all over the place, characters switching ethnicities on a whim, boobs shrinking with no in-lore explanations and so on.

Raphael becoming a vampire is perfectly fine with me since it makes sense in a world of magic that is SoulCalibur, it's consistent with the lore. Cervantes going from a zombie to human again can be easily explained with more magic, so in theory it's fine, also SC5 could have used a better story mode to properly explain things. Astaroth is a magical golem monster who gets himself killed and rebuilt/reconstructed/resurrected multiple times, so he gets a pass for design changes.
The one SC character whose constant redesigns are the most questionable is really Lizardman, those redesigns make no logical sense, but nobody cares too much, because nobody is too attached to someone so inhuman and monsterous to begin with.
This is probably the reason...

46D83774-43F2-447C-B65A-6846D191FE87.jpeg
Either way, I’d say Aeon/Lizardman is badass no matter what he looks like.

In regards to the release schedule, it seems like Namco has done at least one thing per month for SC6 since launch, not just for this year. This is what it's been so far, if my memory isn't failing me:
  • October: 2B announcement
  • November*: Bugfix patch
  • December: 2B is released
  • January: Balance patch
  • February: CaS Pack 1 is announced and released; Amy announcement
  • March: Amy is released; balance patch
*November seems like a sort of "gray area" in regards to the release schedule since it was just a bugfix patch. Otherwise, we might not have gotten anything that month.

As for what's to come, here's my probably-too-hopeful guess:
  • April: CaS Pack 2 announcement
  • May: CaS pack 2 is released
  • June: Cassandra announcement at E3
  • July: Cassandra is released
And there's always the possibility that we might get a patch or two somewhere within that time frame. I just hope we won't be waiting until August for the final DLC...

I don’t give a damn about MK11 I’m here for SC6, have been lingering around for about 5 years for this game to drop.

And for a game with a lower budget than MK11 I’m starting to see a lot of ungratefulness considering the amount of hoops this game had to jump through in order for it to get made in the first place.

With that said SC6 does warrant some criticism in certain aspects.
Ranked is an absolute fuckin mess and their is no point in dumb nerf and frame adjustments like Sophie’s 1AA if the net code is bollocks to begin with.

But comparing it to MK is tacky (lol) in my honest opinion.

Soul Calibur has come a long way, offered new experiences and has an IP that is very much unique down to the bare basics of the games concept.

NRS be damned

I like my females to be interesting
I like recognising types of martial arts through expressive animation.
And I like my characters to not have janky chain combos (fluidity is something I cherish).

boobs shrinking with no in-lore explanations and so on.
But do you have a problem with boobs inexplicably getting bigger with each game, like Project Soul has been doing with most of the SC ladies throughout the whole series?

Overall, I think what matters most is if the character is recognizable enough, despite changes in art style, like Kitana or Noob. Both look quite different from their previous iterations, but it's fairly obvious who they are. Meanwhile, even though I like their new designs, Cassie and Jacqui do lose some points in the recognizability department. But I feel like these incarnations of the characters may last quite a while, since I think NRS may have finally settled on an art style, given the visual similarities between Injustice 2 and MK11.

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to a change in art style for Soulcalibur. Maybe towards something that resembles Kawano's art style, as many agree that a number of characters look better in their art than in-game.

But do you have a problem with boobs inexplicably getting bigger with each game, like Project Soul has been doing with most of the SC ladies throughout the whole series?
I give a free pass to pre and into PS2-era games where graphical limitations were so that many features were hard/impossible to implement or hard to properly distinguish for users after being implemented due to poor graphics. It's not a perfect justification, but it makes some sense.
In 2019 such excuse is of cause not applicable to new games anymore.

Back