Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The pieces are not so bad, but lack creativity. Generic items okay, but what about giving something that has the essence of Soulcalibur, as in III, there were enough items that together formed very cool clothes.
Just to state my goal is not to be negative as the pieces, only to expose what I feel in relation to what I expected. Soulcakibur V gave quite a few cool items like DLC, even some from IV would be welcome.
I will continue to support the game and maybe in future we receive more creative and elegant pieces.
~hello to everyone. ^^

If my math is correct, then CaS in SCIV had 508 parts total and SCV had 564 parts in the base game alone. Even with the DLC, CaS in SCVI is roughly 450 parts. The disparity is even larger once you take into account the number of shared parts between them.

--Forgon

Would have been nice to have the 150 pieces before we found out it was a typo, oh well, beggars can't be choosers, it does have decent parts if you play around with them. I whipped this up in about 10 minutes and found a use for the shoulder kitty, it now wants to devour your soul lol. The extra stage music is nice though and I can now take epic screenshots and such with Nvidia Ansel.

Soul Calibur VI Screenshot 2019.05.15 - 22.44.49.35.png

Soul Calibur VI Screenshot 2019.05.15 - 22.45.17.18.png
Soul Calibur VI Screenshot 2019.05.15 - 22.46.19.30.png
Soul Calibur VI Screenshot 2019.05.15 - 22.51.21.51.png
Soul Calibur VI Screenshot 2019.05.15 - 22.51.29.99.png
Soul Calibur VI Screenshot 2019.05.15 - 22.51.44.81.png

Going to spend the rest of the night playing around to see what new monstrosity I can come up with, lol.

Anybody know if we can choose the dlc bgms in creation now? It's a major oversight only having the sc6 tracks there, gets repetitive.

Anybody know if we can choose the dlc bgms in creation now? It's a major oversight only having the sc6 tracks there, gets repetitive.
If you put it on random, it should cycle through all the songs. I haven't tested it since they updated with the SoulCalibur II-III tracks, so unless they broke it... yeah, it should work. Putting the background music on random definitely cycled through the SoulBlade and SoulCalibur I tracks before the update.

Is there some kind of indication of a Switch version that I missed or did this discussion begin on account of speculation in your video? Personally, unless there's some indication otherwise from Namco, I think this is an extreme longshot. As I'm sure you know, the Switch runs on architecture that is far more different from the XBOX One and PS4 than either of those systems are from one-another, when it comes to programming and debugging games. Additionally, the Switch has markedly less processing power in both its CPU and GPU than even the earlier versions of the XBO and PS4, and SCVI already struggles with performance issues on those systems. In other words, it wouldn't be a simple port and getting the game to run reliably without a significant dip in visual fidelity would not be a simple task.

Of course, I know you know you have some understanding of programming yourself and maybe you address some of these factors in the video (I'll have to watch as soon as I have time), but that still leaves the number one reason which such a port is unlikely to happen: I'm pretty sure that Namco's market research will have told them by this point that the install base for people likely to buy their fighters is tiny on the Switch, and that there isn't enough profit to justify a port even if they had staff free to pull for it. After all, Nintendo hasn't gone out of their way to court third-party support for the Switch with sweetheart deals to take some of the sting of those upfront costs off at the marketplace level; indeed, it's quite the contrary this gen. This just isn't the Gamecube years: there's a reason you can't find the most recent entries of serious fighters on the Switch.
Yeah, this speculation started in my video. For the record, I personally don't think a Switch port of SC6 is happening. I think the development team is being kept busy right now working on the second season pass. It's one of my friends in the podcast who thinks we could see an SC6 Switch port announced at E3.

I think they would be able to create a Switch version of the game if they wanted to. There are multiple UE4 60fps games on the Switch and Namco themselves have experience making multiple fighting games on the Switch (though I don't know if the team working on SC6 has had much experience with the Switch).

@FluffyQuack do you think them removing Season 2 names means Season 2 is cancelled?
Nope, I think they're just cleaning up files which aren't meant to be in a public build of the game. Besides, the same characters are still referenced in other places (in the game's memory and in some config files).

Last edited:
I think they would be able to create a Switch version of the game if they wanted to. There are multiple UE4 60fps games on the Switch and Namco themselves have experience making multiple fighting games on the Switch (though I don't know if the team working on SC6 has had much experience with the Switch).
But those fighters were all 2D games, unless I am mistaken, and Xenoverse just isn't going to have the same rendering requirements as any half-way involved 3D fighter (nor indeed will all UE4 games); if a game's performance is jittery as shit on a PS4, I think it's probably a poor candidate for a port to Switch. Could they make it work as a strict technical matter? Maybe? But I guarantee the results would be shoddy--extremely muddied image when compared against all other versions and probably insane frame dips even so.

But ultimately I think those aren't even nearly the biggest reasons why I doubt your buddy's speculation will be born out: rather, I just don't see how it makes good business sense for Namco, especially with resources stretched thin in their ongoing support for this and other games right now. And even if they had the manpower and weren't producing this game on a budget, I doubt it makes much sense to port this game to the Switch; I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the number of people who really want SCVI but only own a Switch and so have not bought it yet is exceptionally small when compared against the figure needed to give such a port even a remote chance of recouping its costs--let alone of being profitable enough to be a particularly good use of their resources right now when compared against the hundred or so other things already on their agenda.

The notion just doesn't seem to make any kind of pragmatic sense from a business or technical perspective, though I do wish the situation wasn't so: I'd love to see an updated version of Link, given a mix of classic moveset abilities from throughout the Zelda franchise, and four quasi-distinct looks (Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild). Alas, I fear that's likely to remain fantasy, more's the pity.

Last edited:
A small little thing I noticed which I think proves even more that we'll be getting more music DLC.

I mentioned last year I found textures for every mainline SC game for use in the game's music browser in the museum mode, and just now I noticed another little thing.

The IDs for the music tracks follow a certain pattern:
  • SC6's music tracks start with ID 41
  • SE: 301 to 311
  • SC1: 351 to 367
  • SC2: 401 to 418
  • SC3: 451 to 476

There is one SC5 music track in the game with the Amy DLC, and its ID is 628. That's a surprisingly large jump in IDs (it would mean 501 and 551 are reserved. Maybe for SC4 and SC4: Broken Destiny?), and also, 628 would mean 28 SC5 tracks, which matches up exactly with the number of stage tracks in the SC5 soundtrack (if you exclude Ezio's theme).

I'm thinking they've already done the work with implementing all of this music in their development builds, and now they're deciding the best time to release it. I'm starting to think chances are good we'll see Creation Set C (maybe as part of season pass 2?). That, or they'll release the remaining music alongside character DLC.

But those fighters were all 2D fighters, unless I am mistaken, and Xenoverse just isn't going to have the same rendering requirements as any half-way involved 3D fighter (nor indeed will all UE4 games); if a game's performance is jittery as shit on a PS4, I think it's probably a poor candidate for a port to Switch. Could they make it work as a strict technical matter? Maybe? But I guarantee the results would be shoddy--extremely muddied image when compared against all other versions and probably insane frame dips even so.

But ultimately I think those aren't even nearly the biggest reasons why I doubt your friend's speculation will be worn out: rather, I just don't see how it makes good business sense for them, especially with resources stretched thin in their ongoing support for this and other games right now. And even if they had the manpower and weren't producing this game on a budget, I doubt it makes much sense to port this game to the Switch; I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the number of people who really want SCVI but only own a Switch and so have not bought it yet is exceptionally small when compared against the figure needed to give such a port even a remote chance of recouping its costs--let alone of being profitable enough to be a particularly good use of their resources right now.

The notion just doesn't seem to make any kind of pragmatic sense from a business or technical perspective, though I do wish the situation wasn't so: I'd love to see an updated version of Link, given a mix of classic Zelda moveset abilities, and four quasi-distinct looks (Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild). Alas, I fear that's likely to remain fantasy, more's the pity.
There are several 3D fighters on Switch which are both 60fps and UE4:
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Mortal Kombat 11

And Namco themselves have developed a couple of 60fps 3D fighters on Switch:
  • Pokken
  • Smash Bros

Several of these games have very stylized art styles which are probably easier to present on Switch's hardware without making big compromises to the graphics, but I think that counts for SC6 as well considering the quality of character assets are very similar to SC4 and SC5. The biggest downgrade we'd see would probably be in lighting/shading, overall environmental quality, and rendering resolution. Of course, as you said, it's not a great sign that SC6 already struggles performance-wise with their current releases. I dunno if that's due to poor optimizing, or if there's something which is more demanding than we think (maybe it's the environments?).

Even though I don't think we'll see SC6 any time soon on the Switch, I think I'll be surprised to see no SC on the Switch at all. The Switch is performing really well and Namco is supporting the platform with a lot of games. So I think chances are good they'll either port SC6 in the long run or some other SC title (like SC2 HD).

Oh, I don't know, I think you have to look to the subtext of what the character design and behaviour suggests: in this light, I personally think ZWEI's motivations couldn't be more obvious: he's on a quest to pick up a bottle of Axe body spray, figure out what he did with the Ed Hardy shirt that is obviously meant to go with that outfit of his, and make it in time to the gig for his screamo band at a local dive bar, so he can hopefully score later on that night--if he can find a girl naive enough to not realize on first sight that he is just dripping with STDs. I think all of that should be pretty obvious just from looking him over for fifteen seconds. Mind you, he was going to spend the day attending a course in basic sword combat for the clinically retarded (Day One: which part of the sword you hold), but then looked around at the rest of the SCV cast and realized that it wasn't really vital information.
I mean, when you put it like that it makes so much sense now. Thank you for this ;)

There is one SC5 music track in the game with the Amy DLC, and its ID is 628. That's a surprisingly large jump in IDs (it would mean 501 and 551 are reserved. Maybe for SC4 and SC4: Broken Destiny?), and also, 628 would mean 28 SC5 tracks, which matches up exactly with the number of stage tracks in the SC5 soundtrack (if you exclude Ezio's theme).
I suppose this is a hopeful prayer that we really will be able to use "Dance of the Oracle" as stage music? Since we couldn't in SoulCalibur V... and is your count of 28 also including "Through the Jaws of Death"? Because that one was also unusable in normal play.

I suppose this is a hopeful prayer that we really will be able to use "Dance of the Oracle" as stage music? Since we couldn't in SoulCalibur V... and is your count of 28 also including "Through the Jaws of Death"? Because that one was also unusable in normal play.
Hmm, yeah, my count is including that one. Maybe they'll make both of those selectable once we get the SC5 music DLC?

@FluffyQuack That's right, I forgot that they did a lot of development for Smash. Well who knows with SCVI--I still tend to doubt it, but if it did happen, I agree with your assessment here:

The biggest downgrade we'd see would probably be in lighting/shading, overall environmental quality, and rendering resolution.

But mind you, those last two in particular would be real problems: regarding environment, those background (and even foreground) textures are already pretty blurry in terms of present-generation fidelity, and I'd hate to see what the downgraded versions look like. Likewise, because SCVI is such a busy game, I don't see how you render all of these characters and all of their effects and keep it from becoming a muddled mess.

All of that said, there is something you mentioned there that at least leaves the door open some: like you, I've been wondering for a long time how much the performance issues for this game are the cause of running up against the capabilities of the current gen and how much is poor optimization. I do believe it's more the former than the latter, but given all of the other issues/cracks in the polish we see with this game and what we know about its production, I think we can safely say there are at least some optimization issues that provide some wiggle room in the assessment of the viability of a Switch version under ideal circumstances.

I mean, when you put it like that it makes so much sense now. Thank you for this ;)
I'm glad I could be of some assistance--some other time I'll tell you about the battle I see coming between ZWEI and Groh in SCVII's 'Clash of Emo Souls' mode. Basically it concerns a battle for control of the Indus Valley and its priceless supply of lapis lazuli, the only means by which either can produce enough blue hairdye in that era to meet the needs of their feathered bangs. ;)

I have a question forum :) What are those white signs, marks, star costellations which appears when you make moves playing Maxi?

Back