Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

It was easier than i expected. I didn't really like LoS in the beginning, but now i think it's alright and i especially appreciate all the work & effort put into it.
Personally, I think Libra is the biggest, most embarrassing waste of resources imaginable. Imagine how much more content in the form of characters, stages, and custom assets was sacrificed from the already threadbare basic experience of the game in order to produce those unending hours of uninspired interactions featuring boring, ham-fisted dialogue with meaningless NPCs, supported by mediocre voice acting and static visual novel quasi-animations. I have never before had to press the skip button so many thousands of times in a row as I did with that single-player "experience": absolutely zero narrative/dramatic/entertainment value. All coupled to a psuedo-RPG system that was incredibly half-baked, if I stretch myself to put it kindly. I was incensed when I realized I would have to play through that experience twice in order to get all the trophies (which is something I normally don't give a flying f--- about, but this being the return of Soulcalibur, I thought it would be nice, and did manage it within the first couple of months--though as with just about everyone, I am guessing, the second run on Libra was the one that held everything up and I put it off for a while). Ugh--ugh, ugh, ugh. What a waste of our time and that of the developers (even if this portion was clearly the part that was outsourced in its entirety).

I have mixed feelings about the whole Cassandra reveal at E3. It does seem like the most realistic option, but using the biggest gaming event of the year to announce a single character seems like a waste. Especially when you compare it to announcing a second season on the main stage. Now that would be bloody fantastic.
Well, I mean its not like Namco will have nothing else to announce: if they have stage presentation and showcase, they will mention Cassie there among various other announcements; if not, they will make an online announcement contemporaneous with the event and promote her in the booths. I mean, it's not like all of their franchises can be hitting on all cylinders for major announcements at E3, and because of the timing and their current approach to viral marketing, EVO really does suit as a good platform for announcing Season 2. And I wouldn't rule out E3 as a platform for announcing Season 2 altogether, but I think we would have heard about Cassandra already if that were the case. My money is on Cassie at E3 and S2 at EVO.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, in the midst of waiting for Cassandra, I decided to make a video that could possibly help some people out. It's a guide for breaking all ring out throws so that you don't die prematurely lol check it out!

Very thoughtful of you, Guy--and it's a very well edited and presented video, incidentally.

EDIT: @Ninjaguy446: Btw, what's the music?

Last edited:
Decided to get the platinum trophy!

It was easier than i expected. I didn't really like LoS in the beginning, but now i think it's alright and i especially appreciate all the work & effort put into it.

I have mixed feelings about the whole Cassandra reveal at E3. It does seem like the most realistic option, but using the biggest gaming event of the year to announce a single character seems like a waste. Especially when you compare it to announcing a second season on the main stage. Now that would be bloody fantastic.

I guess they'll save up the second season announcement for EVO in August. I wouldn't mind as long as we get the first character, preferably Setsuka, released in the same day.

The only really annoying thing I found when I was getting my 100% was the 30 astral fissures, mainly because it was so tedious and you sometimes had to wait for it to refresh. Otherwise, yeah I was kind of disappointed by how it was a little too easy. LOS kind of grew on me, still a bit gimmicky and it doesn't really replace Chronicles but it was still fun to play even if it was a bit tedious.

Not me, but it’s Nameless Ordeal.
Ah, thanks--is this the music that plays when you fight Groh in Libra then? I don't remember that music being so dynamic--this almost sounds like something Sam Hulick would have done for Mass Effect--but then the speakers on my gaming screen are a little flat.

The only really annoying thing I found when I was getting my 100% was the 30 astral fissures, mainly because it was so tedious and you sometimes had to wait for it to refresh. Otherwise, yeah I was kind of disappointed by how it was a little too easy. LOS kind of grew on me, still a bit gimmicky and it doesn't really replace Chronicles but it was still fun to play even if it was a bit tedious.
I think sometimes less is more. I didn't so much mind the old map-trodding modes, but this one had all of these enconomy and RPG features that were struggling towards being menaingful but were so ham-fistedly implemented that they mostly ended up being nothing more than a distraction. The vast majority of the weapons you get are useless and yet cannot be converted for any value, and the resources needed to augment them are not earned in proportions/at times that make them useful in the natural progression of the mode. Similarly you can buy but not sell buffs and most of it goes completely unused. Those are just two of dozens of bizarre design features in that mode that show how little thought had gone into how the mechanics would work together. And the gold/SP exchange tool doesn't help to alleviate any of it because the ludicrous exchange rate makes it effectively useless.

I mean, it's not a problem insofar as most of the fights are not super difficult, aside from a handful of over-level scenarios where the deck is severely stacked against a low-level player, and grinding and/or mere perseverance will get you through even those. It's just that it's an embarrassment to have all of this stuff that just doesn't function at even a basic level because of lack of forethought.To me though, the tedious, unending, uninspired chatter of the generic NPCs and the pointless dead-end interactions and tasks they present you with is the blubber that most needed to be cut. Again, I never needed this sad excuse for context in order to move me from node to node in the older SC games: I was perfectly happy with the half-paragraph explanations ("Before Sophitia could respond, the mysterious man blah blah, Soul Edge fragment...blah blah...city of Venice?") as all the explanation needed. Now I have to hear all of the (incredibly unstructured, uninteresting, and un-genuine-sounding) banter between Maxi and his six NPC pirate goons? Yeah...less is definitely more sometimes!

Last edited:
Ah, thanks--is this the music that plays when you fight Groh in Libra then? I don't remember that music being so dynamic--this almost sounds like something Sam Hulick would have done for Mass Effect--but then the speakers on my gaming screen are a little flat.
Yeah, it’s when you fight Grøh in the final battle. And I’m not completely sure, it might be one of those times where the story version is more intense than the one that you can use, like Sacred Dawn had the unique lead-in for story mode in SoulCalibur V.

I would have to check in-game to be sure, but if the version you can use as stage music isn’t exactly this, then it may be unique to the Grøh encounter. I’ll admit it’s been too long since I’ve played to know for certain. But I can’t find any different versions online.

Yeah, it’s when you fight Grøh in the final battle. And I’m not completely sure, it might be one of those times where the story version is more intense than the one that you can use, like Sacred Dawn had the unique lead-in for story mode in SoulCalibur V.

I would have to check in-game to be sure, but if the version you can use as stage music isn’t exactly this, then it may be unique to the Grøh encounter. I’ll admit it’s been too long since I’ve played to know for certain. But I can’t find any different versions online.
Interesting--I'll have to check it out myself, next time I load the game.

Hey everyone, in the midst of waiting for Cassandra, I decided to make a video that could possibly help some people out. It's a guide for breaking all ring out throws so that you don't die prematurely lol check it out!

Good stuff. Though technically speaking, the back throws can be broken out of if these occur on Voldo and Astaroth.

you guys are getting your hopes up for a potential Cass reveal at E3 and Idk I feel like you're walking into the land of disappointment. Why would they use E3 to reveal cassandra?

you guys are getting your hopes up for a potential Cass reveal at E3 and Idk I feel like you're walking into the land of disappointment. Why would they use E3 to reveal cassandra?
I think the inverse inquiry is the more obvious one: why would they not? The timing is right--while it's difficult to estimate specifics, we've had indications that Cassie is in development for a very long while now, and the Season 1 releases to date have all been getting marginally closer and closer together as the drops have gone on--everything that has launched this year was within two months of the previous release. That timing in mind, third party software companies have a habit at E3 of using their floor show to push just about every product that is in a decent state to advertise, with small announcements often being stacked in with the big reveals, with online marketing timed to push around the same time.

What's more, Namco has, with all of the DLC characters to date announced them at an event (Tira included, I think, though I forget the event) . There's nothing stopping them from just announcing via social media and marketplaces, around the same time as E3, but I think their approach these days is to try to generate viral marketing via the hardcore players simultaneous with their mass consumer announcements, so it just seems like the most likely bet. And let me be clear that my confidence level isn't super high on E3, but I'm pretty sure they won't wait as late as EVO, so if they stay true to form regard to having a live platform announcement, E3 just seems like the only option for a high profile event. So yeah, basically the safest bet--or more-likely-than-not at a minimum.

I think the inverse inquiry is the more obvious one: why would they not? The timing is right--while it's difficult to estimate specifics, we've had indications that Cassie is in development for a very long while now, and the Season 1 releases to date have all been getting marginally closer and closer together as the drops have gone on--everything that has launched this year was within two months of the previous release. That timing in mind, third party software companies have a habit at E3 of using their floor show to push just about every product that is in a decent state to advertise, with small announcements often being stacked in with the big reveals, with online marketing timed to push around the same time.

What's more, Namco has, with all of the DLC characters to date announced them at an event (Tira included, I think, though I forget the event) . There's nothing stopping them from just announcing via social media and marketplaces, around the same time as E3, but I think their approach these days is to try to generate viral marketing via the hardcore players simultaneous with their mass consumer announcements, so it just seems like the most likely bet. And let me be clear that my confidence level isn't super high on E3, but I'm pretty sure they won't wait as late as EVO, so if they stay true to form regard to having a live platform announcement, E3 just seems like the only option for a high profile event. So yeah, basically the safest bet--or more-likely-than-not at a minimum.
I do agree on this i think we will get a reveal but Cass will be released around EVO, if they keep up the pattern like they have with 2B and Amy. if not at least we know for sure that Cass will be released b4 the end of summer as Okubo said the DLC content was planned.

I do agree on this i think we will get a reveal but Cass will be released around EVO, if they keep up the pattern like they have with 2B and Amy. if not at least we know for sure that Cass will be released b4 the end of summer as Okubo said the DLC content was planned.
Well, I think you're right insofar as its virtually certain that the actual release date of Cassie will be between E3 and EVO, but I think the smart money is going to be on the drop being close after E3 more so than close before EVO; there's really no reason not to get her to market once she is finished, while having Season One finished and available to consumers ahead of the projected "end of summer" deadline promised will generate goodwill and consumer confidence if they want to announce Season 2 at EVO. Players knowing that they can invest in a season pass and expect all of their content in roughly nine months is a pretty big feather in Namco's cap if they want to make this continuing support model the new default for their fighters. That said, I'll reiterate that I wouldn't say my confidence level is through the roof, but I do think those are safest dates to presume (Cassandra announced at E3 and S2 at EVO) unless/until we get evidence that suggests otherwise.

Last edited:
I believe that nobody is interested in this news, but The 'Soul Calibur VI' soundtrack is released on July 27.
6VePUyVYHuI3TRE6DDT29RmeICaKb3B9xewC5lrtgJrFs7C2Tdi7vKWNZGjggnZ7tqnEBaI5KE7zAQC2.jpg

This CD will be pre-sold on July 6 at the SweepRecord dealership.

Back