Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I think Cassandra is just not ready yet to be release. I don't know if you guys heard about NRS situations where some of their employers were complaining about overworks and all, and then WB decide to give them some rest and vacancy, so it ended Shang Tsung MK11 1st DLC being reveal later than usual/expected, and he (surprisingly) seems to be even a bit buggy which is quite unusual for a NRS character. (like his outfit screen doesn't save, and sometime taking soul of the opponent Shang Tsung won't transform into that guy/girl like he is supposed to)

So imagine if with WB budget that couldn't release at schedule a 2D character that has less moves than 3D character. I think Cassandra is just not ready to be release, of course they can reveal her while she isn't finish like they did before but i guess they didn't want to put more pressure on themselves this time around maybe?

Last edited:
Tbh, I was also wondering the same; maybe she possibly isn't close enough to done yet due to some kind of setback.

dont be surprised if there is no season 2 thats all im gona say.

Not actually trying to be hopeful or bright in particular, we could very well get no season 2.

But they're really not giving us much anyway, its an easy win for them to just do it anyway.
Recycled cas content, old music (not new at all) and the characters where a lot of basic things have already been established anyway.
They don't have that much work really, so I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't be getting Season 2.
The exception I see is that they began work very early on for for the next game and cut Season 2 to put it as a new game. (Also finally having faith in giving the game decent budget)
That being said, season 2 being cut regardless is not in the slightest a good sign we'd be lucky if it meant SC7.
I guess my point is that at the very least it would be a bit pointless to cancel season 2 which should probably be a profit no matter what.
This game has had enough done to it to leave it at a very obvious disadvantage so I don't think the shortcomings of this entry should apply to killing off the series either, at the very least I do hope the we got some very honest communication regarding the future of the series right after Cassandra's release.

I do think this Cassandra has been delayed due to something, honestly I imagine a big thing was actually because of Amy. Had Amy been rushed out very quickly then everyone taking Cassandra slower isn't a big surprise. We all know that in initial plans Amy was meant to be last, so its a possibility.

So...we're all making Cassandra's for the competition, right?
This is a painfully good idea, I believe I'll follow.

You know what fuck it, i'm gonna put it all and i'll say that Season 2 for SC6 is truly a thing and will happen

^ I'll be agreeing on this.
I think expecting the worst on this game wont save it, we should try be as positive as we can be. To the developers it will also just mean a "positive player base". even if hope does bring disappointment, I would say hope.

At least if Season 2 arrives we can all give Amy a good slap on the face for lying to us.

^ I'll be agreeing on this.
I think expecting the worst on this game wont save it, we should try be as positive as we can be. To the developers it will also just mean a "positive player base". even if hope does bring disappointment, I would say hope.

At least if Season 2 arrives we can all give Amy a good slap on the face for lying to us.

I mean i just don't see a reason for them to just abandon the game like that, while there are a lot of reasons they may not. The only way i can see them drop the game after season 1 is that they plan to release SC7 very soon after, like fall 2021 or something, but this scenario seems unlikely and i don't think it will be good idea for the game and them to do it so in this day of age.

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...tBL2GFEGTFBkNTg8vPjiHvjLHMtYmjfcqdiMynLAsNLns

if you dont speak Japanese you can read here what was said on yesterday's stream.

One of the summary notes for that stream was the following:
  • "Adding more stages to the game costs a lot of money but they're doing their best in making that happen."
I'm hoping that's not lip service, because the way that's worded does sound like it's a possibility...

Spanky used Wishful Thinking!
It's not very effective...

• When it comes to making balance changes, the dev team likes to 'monitor the situation' for a little bit instead of hastily get changes out there, they note that most of the balance complaints they've received are from overseas (outside Japan) players commenting after tournament wins.
    [*]Reversal Edge may be getting further tweaks but overall, they're happy with the current function of the mechanic.
    [*]No intention on giving Nightmare a 12 frame startup move because it's not part of the character's design.
    [*]Azwel is considered fine and 'sufficiently strong enough' from the dev team. (I wouldn't expect many if not any changes towards that character in the future.)
    [*]Updates to the online features and character creation are coming, they've already done work in improving those areas as they have different people working hard on different parts of the game.
    [*]For improving the Network Online Lag, there's not much they can do here. (Speaking in terms of just making the 'netcode' better or designing the game around being played in laggy conditions. Most online lag related issues are client side with how the players have their console and internet connection set-up.)
    [*]On adding Crossplay to SoulCalibur VI, it is not possible for them to implement it. It takes a lot of money to get that working and a lot of time from both Microsoft and PlayStation.
    [*]On letting players use either Male or Female customizations on any character creations, it's still up for consideration. The dev team noted the difficulty of implementing this broadly due to the differences of the base models and having to adjust the positions of a lot of parts.
    [*]Adding more stages to the game costs a lot of money but they're doing their best in making that happen.
    [*]

* Yes good thing they don't listen much on those "hey can you nerf that character that just won a tournament"

* Good but the special effect may need some tweaking?

* Cf. We're trying to make each character having its own playstyle.

* I think the thing with Azwel is that his style is so unusual for SC so he feels (too) strong to many players. While he isn't' really that much... broken.

* Good

* I think SC6 netcode is fine as it is, the best netcodes i experience personally are KI, MK11 and Injustice 2, SC6 may come right after. I also heard that T7 online is very good on PC but didn't test it myself. (but i know T7 netcode is really not good on PS4 lol)

* Crossplay seems complicated between PS and Xbox whatever the game, so... nothing new here tbh.

* Only reason i want and this was since Raphael reveal is to put his outfit (at least the top) on Ivy, i think would go just too well on her.

* Yes yes yes, Valentine's mansion first, then Money Pit (and please make the money flies around instead of only floor break, you know like T5 Gold Rush aka one of the most beautiful stage ever made), and then OF course Jyurakudai Villa for Setsuka reveal (like Yoda says, hope always there is), and some kind of ancient China theme stage like Hubris SC2 or the ultra gorgeous SC3 X stage. Those 3 are my favorites but there are many others that looks quite sick.

• "Adding more stages to the game costs a lot of money but they're doing their best in making that happen."
I'm hoping that's not lip service, because the way that's worded does sound like it's a possibility...

indeed even if its juts 1 or 2 stages, we have to keep in mind that SC6 did not got that big of a budget this time around so if this happens we should at least be grateful for their efforts.

* Yes yes yes, Valentine's mansion first, then Money Pit (and please make the money flies around instead of only floor break, you know like T5 Gold Rush aka one of the most beautiful stage ever made), and then OF course Jyurakudai Villa for Setsuka reveal (like Yoda says, hope always there is), and some kind of ancient China theme stage like Hubris SC2 or the ultra gorgeous SC3 X stage. Those 3 are my favorites but there are many others that looks quite sick.
I remember watching a tournament, I do not know if I've heard wrong, but I'm sure the commentators mentioned that Seong Mi-na was in the game since Soul Edge, but she does not have a own stage in VI.

On a personal note, I hope these Amy changes adjust some things with her inputs to make her more consistent with her stances.
"Making Amy easier to use" though does leave me wondering if it will actually be for the better.
I hope its just some additional polish at least.

I wish they'd bluntly just recycle all the SC4/5 stages and just make them vibrant for the sake of this game having lots of variety. Even if we get like 2 genuinely new stages then a ton of ports it would be the cheapest solution for them and the best for us to get a lot easily. (Though they may need to do some work on the stage sizes). Hopefully the best is coming!

They mentioned work on online features, maybe they will actually try to fix the problems on Xbox. That should of course have been done right after release, but if they choose to do it now I'll take it.
Wait what's up on the Xbox? I've been playing on there problem free so far?
The current issues I keep witness is crashes when using the characters main colours (1P 2P 3P 4P)

there's been plenty of remasters that don't actually enhance the product at hand and just do a few minor things. Textures aren't always even enhanced in some cases. So long as they have the actual files and haven't lost anything crucial then its really not a huge undertaking.
I think probably they do have the files for SCII and forward, but I doubt they do for SCI and SE, so the best they can do for those is a straight port (which with regard to SCI, they did previously, on XBOX 360), unless they want to just outright remake them. Assets from games in those eras were very rarely preserved as individual asset files; indeed, if not for the fact that Project Soul were in a habit of re-using their assets for later games, it's probable that they wouldn't even have the assets for SCII (and thus would not have gotten SCII:HDO) since by that point in time, most companies were not in the habit of archiving their assets.

But you're still massively under-appreciating how much work this would be, if we're talking about a true remaster and not a port. Because no, SCII:HDO is not just a straight port of SCII vanilla running on better hardware than was available a the time. If an HD remaster were as simple as that, the remaster market would be fifty times larger than it is. I reiterate: remastering 5-9 games would be massive undertaking that they could not have any realistic hope of recouping their costs on. It's a fantastic daydream: I've indulged in it myself far more times than any adult can reasonably justify. But I can recognize it for being just that: a daydream.
Besides, just having the games preserved on a current day PC port at the very least would be worth it to enough fans. In general its a pretty good collection.
Now that I can certainly agree with: I'd happily buy any re-release of any mainline game in the series, even if the port had no graphics upgrade or online capability: I'd buy each for twenty to thirty dollars (or pounds) apiece just for the convenience of having them all on one current generation machine. But I'm not the average consumer. If they re-released 5-9 games in one compendium, they couldn't charge much more than $60, just because of how the market for digital re-releases works. That's just not remotely enough for them to turn a profit, even without a graphical upgrade or online capability (and having those features absent would drastically reduce the number of people willing to buy the product at any given pricepoint).

Even getting a game to emulate and run bug free on contemporary systems is a cost in itself, nevermind mixing in netcode and matchmaking for online play, graphical updates and all the other bells and whistles expected of a compilation. Now, don't get me wrong, if they did make a nine game compilation complete with online functionality and upgraded visuals for each entry, I'd pay $300 for it. They couldn't beat me off with a stick as I tried to stuff the cash into their pockets, tears of joy streaming down my face. But again, I don't think there's enough people like me to even begin justifying such an effort.
indeed even if its juts 1 or 2 stages, we have to keep in mind that SC6 did not got that big of a budget this time around so if this happens we should at least be grateful for their efforts.
You know, usually I'm pretty critical of people being too entitled in what they expect out of a given entry in the franchise, because obviously they have to strike a balance of competing elements--especially today, when production costs are up so high, their market share is down, and they can't possibly accommodate everyone's priorities for a $60 pricetag, and the serialized content model is not yet established enough for them to parse a game out in pieces. But honestly, the showing for the stages here is so incredibly pathetic (and I honestly don't think that the word is hyperbolic or that there's a more reasonable description) that it really does feel like this is something that some more effort is due on. There has literally, in more than twenty years, never been a game with fewer stages than this one: SCI (released in 1998) had more stages... What's more, the stages we do have in VI are bland, stylistically uninspired, lacking in dynamic features, mostly lacking in detail, and general all-around generic in feel. Further, not a single one has interactive features (aside from the Astral Chaos barrier on the inner ring, which I guess barely qualifies) and none have visual or platform variants. It is just so much less than we have traditionally gotten with a Soulcalibur game, that I think we can legitimately feel a little robbed in this aspect.

I'm sympathetic insofar as this content (along with roster size and CaS elements) was obviously given short-shrift to accommodate the expanded story content (underwhelming as it it is in every possible way) which they new they had to hit hard this time around because of complaints arising out of SCIV and SV's story modes. So I get why they arrived at their priorities (much as I disagree with them). But too much was taken out of the stage selection, and it very, very seriously hampers the replayability/general enjoyability of this game. I don't mind paying for it in a season pass, but they really need to address this if they want the game to have any significant amount of longevity. People are very divided on how good this game is and where it sits in the SC hierarchy, but pretty much everybody agrees the stage selection, and let's not mix words, sucks the big one. We faithful fans definitely deserve better in this respect. So will I be grateful if they put in the effort? I mean, yeah, technically yes. But I'll be more than disappointed if they don't: I'll feel they really dropped the ball here on a core aspect of the game.
I remember watching a tournament, I do not know if I've heard wrong, but I'm sure the commentators mentioned that Seong Mi-na was in the game since Soul Edge, but she does not have a own stage in VI.
View attachment 63218
Yes, Seong-mina definetly goes back to Soul Edge: she was the first character I ever mained, to the extent I mained anybody back then. But no one has gotten their "own" stage in SCVI (aside from Inferno clearly belonging in the Astral Chaos and Geralt and 2B to their respective stages). Some games in the franchise have made an explicit link between particular characters and particular stages (through the Exhbition Theatre or other supplemental/library content or just very strong and clear thematic links). But, other than guests characters and maybe a few returning characters, that's just clearly not the case here. The stages are pretty generic in tone and ambiguous as to location. There's a handful characters who arguably have a stage they fit best with--for example, I suppose we can assume that Maxi is at home in Indian Port, given he is pirate?; Sophitia surely belongs in the Shrine of Eurydice; Kilik has always been at home home at the Proving Grounds; and Nightmare seems appropriately situated in the new ambigously nefarious-looking location in Ostrheinsburg Castle--but most characters don't seem to fit anywhere in particular, even if certain stages suit better than others.
I wish they'd bluntly just recycle all the SC4/5 stages and just make them vibrant for the sake of this game having lots of variety. Even if we get like 2 genuinely new stages then a ton of ports it would be the cheapest solution for them and the best for us to get a lot easily. (Though they may need to do some work on the stage sizes).
Well, importing new stages across different engines and platforms would not really save them as much time as you may be thinking. Some assets can be re-used, but rendering them such that they look tonally consistent with the rest of the game as constructed in the present engine would actually arguably end up being more work than starting from scratch, particularly as they would have to upres everything without making it look like crap. Beyond that, fully half or more of the locations in SCIV and SCV would just not make sense for SCVI's narrative. I think it could all just come off as ill-fitting to SCVI. But that said, I really do think stage design for the franchise hit it's zenith in SCIII and SCIV, so I'd be thrilled to see some of those stages return. Thesmophoros' Imperial Garden? You bet. Phantom Pavillion? Hell yeah. Sailor's Rest? Oh baby!

Last edited:
I think probably they do have the files for SCII and forward, but I doubt they do for SCI and SE, so the best they can do for those is a straight port (which with regard to SCI, they did previously, on XBOX 360), unless they want to just outright remake them. Assets from games in those eras were very rarely preserved as individual asset files; indeed, if not for the fact that Project Soul were in a habit of re-using their assets for later games, it's probable that they wouldn't even have the assets for SCII (and thus would not have gotten SCII:HDO) since by that point in time, most companies were not in the habit of archiving their assets.

But you're still massively under-appreciating how much work this would be, if we're talking about a true remaster and not a port. Because no, SCII:HDO is not just a straight port of SCII vanilla running on better hardware than was available a the time. If an HD remaster were as simple as that, the remaster market would be fifty times larger than it is. I reiterate: remastering 5-9 games would be massive undertaking that they could not have any realistic hope of recouping their costs on. It's a fantastic daydream: I've indulged in it myself far more times than any adult can reasonably justify. But I can recognize it for being just that: a daydream.

Now that I can certainly agree with: I'd happily buy any re-release of any mainline game in the series, even if the port had no graphics upgrade or online capability: I'd buy each for twenty to thirty dollars (or pounds) apiece just for the convenience of having them all on one current generation machine. But I'm not the average consumer. If they re-released 5-9 games in one compendium, they couldn't charge much more than $60, just because of how the market for digital re-releases works. That's just not remotely enough for them to turn a profit, even without a graphical upgrade or online capability (and having those features absent would drastically reduce the number of people willing to buy the product at any given pricepoint).

Even getting a game to emulate and run bug free on contemporary systems is a cost in itself, nevermind mixing in netcode and matchmaking for online play, graphical updates and all the other bells and whistles expected of a compilation. Now, don't get me wrong, if they did make a nine game compilation complete with online capacity and upgraded visuals for each entry, I'd pay $300 for it. They couldn't beat me off with a stick as I tried to stuff the cash into their pockets, tears of joy streaming down my face. But again, I don't there's enough people like me to even begin justifying such an effort.

You know, usually I'm pretty critical of people being too entitled in what they expect out of a given entry in the franchise, because obviously they have to strike a balance of competing elements--especially today, when production costs are up so high, their market share is down, and they can't possibly accommodate everyone's priorities for a $60 pricetag, and the serialized content model is not yet established enough for them to parse a game out in pieces. But honestly, the showing for the stages here is so incredibly pathetic (and I honestly don't think that the word is hyperbolic or that there's a more reasonable description) that it really does feel like this is something that some more effort is due on. There has literally, in more than twenty years, never been a game with fewer stages than this one: SCI (released in 1998) had more stages... What's more, the stages we do have in VI are bland, stylistically uninspired, lacking in dynamic features, mostly lacking in detail, and general all-around generic in feel. Further, not a single one has interactive features (aside from the Astral Chaos barrier on the inner ring, which I guess barely qualifies) and none have visual or platform variants. It is just so much less than we have traditionally gotten with a Soulcalibur game, that I think we can legitimately feel a little robbed in this aspect.

I'm sympathetic insofar as this content (along with roster size and CaS elements) was obviously given short-shrift to accommodate the expanded story content (underwhelming as it it is in every possible way) which they new they had to hit hard this time around because of complaints arising out of SCIV and SV's story modes. So I get why they arrived at their priorities (much as I disagree with them). But too much was taken out of the stage selection, and it very, very seriously hampers the replayability/general enjoyability of this game. I don't mind paying for it in a season pass, but they really need to address this if they want the game to have any significant amount of longevity. People are very divided on how good this game is and where it sits in the SC hierarchy, but pretty much everybody agrees the stage selection, and let's not mix words, sucks the big one. We faithful fans definitely deserve better in this respect. So will I be grateful if they put in the effort? I mean, yeah, technically yes. But I'll be more than disappointed if they don't: I'll feel they really dropped the ball here on a core aspect of the game.

Yes, Seong-mina definetly goes back to Soul Edge: she was the first character I ever mained, to the extent I mained anybody back then. But no one has gotten their "own" stage in SCVI (aside from Inferno clearly belonging in the Astral Chaos). Some games in the franchise have made an explicit link between particular character and particular stages (through the Exhbition Theatre or other supplemental/library content or just very strong and clear thematic links). But, other than guests characters and maybe a few returning characters, that's just clearly not the case here. The stages are pretty generic in tone and ambiguous as to location. There's a handful characters who arguably have a stage they fit best with--for example, I suppose we can assume that Maxi is at home in Indian Port, given he is pirate?; Sophitia surely belongs in the Shrine of Eurydice; Kilik has always been at home home at the Proving Grounds; and Nightmare seems appropriately situated in the new ambigously nefarious-looking location in Ostrheinsburg Castle--but most characters don't seem to fit anywhere in particular, even if certain stages suite better than others.

Well, importing new stages across different engines and platforms would not really save them as much time as you may be thinking. Some assets can be re-used, but rendering them such that they look tonally consistent with the rest of the game as constructed in the present engine would actually arguably end up being more work than starting from scratch, particularly as they would have to upres everything without making it look like crap. Beyond that, fully half or more of the locations in SCIV and SCV would just not make sense for SCVI's narrative. I think it could all just come off as ill-fitting to SCVI. But that said, I really do think stage design for the franchise hit it's zenith in SCIII and SCIV, so I'd be thrilled to see some of those stages return. Thesmophoros' Imperial Garden? You bet. Phantom Pavillion? Hell yeah. Sailor's Rest? Oh baby!

Not necessarily true at least in terms of upresing, sc6 stages are largely lower res than they were on sc4/5 engine. If you look closely there are a lot of poorly done textures on sc6 stages which is made up for with better lighting.

Back