Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I wouldn't mind them announcing/releasing her before evo even if it meant she couldn't be played there. Not sure how the deadline will affect SDCC and Asia League though, if at all.

I wouldn't mind them announcing/releasing her before evo even if it meant she couldn't be played there. Not sure how the deadline will affect SDCC and Asia League though, if at all.
It's not just a character not being playable, any balance patches after that date aren't usable either. So if they put out a patch between the deadline and evo they'd have to have a lot of unpatched consoles to play on. But the bigger issue is the competitors will have to either not play the new patch or transition back to the old patch before the tournament.

But I wouldn't worry about it effecting announcement timings cause companies probably knew about this deadline a while ago. Might also be based on when companies are working to get their final pre-evo patches in.

Also, SDCC is just a Tekken panel. Okubo isn't even there, that was an old listing for last year.

It's not just a character not being playable, any balance patches after that date aren't usable either. So if they put out a patch between the deadline and evo they'd have to have a lot of unpatched consoles laying around to run the tournament. But I wouldn't worry about it effecting announcement timings cause companies probably knew about this deadline a while ago. Might also be based on when companies are working to get their final pre-evo patches in.

Also, SDCC is just a Tekken panel. Okubo isn't even there, that was an old listing for last year.
Is it? That's disappointing...
It all rides on the 21st, then..

We are very happy to announce Cassandra will be coming soon!
A preview for character DLC Cassandra will arrive soon!
How soon are the chances?

Oh and also

During an interview with the team we were given some information as to how Cassandra will function, throughout the match she will build butt lust against the opponent and when at max charge can unleash a devastating guard crush attack that functions as a face sit, a brand new type of attack in Soulcalibur! It has Lethal hit properties and can help her build combo's and perform new moves such as "Heaven's rider".
We hope throughout the patches to add face sit type moves to the rest of the cast, please look forward to it!

At this point I'm bored and desperate for an official update, cmon bamco. Cassandra needs investigating.

In all honesty though being serious, I really hope they haven't dragged out her announcement this long for it only to be her. They had better be adding something else along side her that is worthwhile. I've lost hope on this for Season 1 pretty much, but I really hope a stage comes with, or in the future every character adds at least one new stage, Or everyone gets their own including the ones that don't have their own specific ones already.

I'm just going to sit back and expect some poorly ported CAS pieces along side Cassandra though. Or something else like Shoulder dogs.
I guess that works actually.

I've lost hope on this for Season 1 pretty much, but I really hope a stage comes with, or in the future every character adds at least one new stage, Or everyone gets their own including the ones that don't have their own specific ones already.
I wouldn't hold your breath. Best case scenario, they hear enough frustration with the stage selection in the feedback to add one, maaaaaybe two stages, and only then if a second season is go and they feel they can get away with increasing the pricepoint to offset the stages. A stage for every character added in season two (with six being forecast at present), is just outright pie-in-the-sky fantasy, and one for every character in the game even more unrealistic.

I wish that weren't the case (I've been a pretty vocal and blunt critic of the stage selection in this game from day one and continue to feel it is the aspect of the game that most hinders SCVI from feeling like a legitimate successor to the strengths of the franchise). But realistically, a stage takes virtually as much prep time and resources as a new character. They're not just going to throw them out as free, unexpected bonuses. With six characters projected for season two (if there even is a season two) and the fact that they have to work within a pricepoint for any season pass that their average consumer is willing to pay, I wouldn't expect a bevy of stages as well. Maybe they'll bow to complaints and include one or two, but that's an outside possibility at best. 6-15 extra stages? Not in a million years. Mind you, I'd pay five dollars per extra stage myself, even if they added 20. But I doubt they are counting on the average fan being willing to.

I'm just going to sit back and expect some poorly ported CAS pieces along side Cassandra though. Or something else like Shoulder dogs.
I guess that works actually.
That's probably more realistic, although bear in mind you aren't getting any more CaS with your first season pass: they already released what they're going to in that regard. I expect we'll continue to see small handfuls of CaS items added for free with further updates, but I bet those taper off fast as well, aside from what gets included with future characters, unless they are planning on adding additional CaS packs, which runs up against the same point relevant to the stages above: they aren't going to be looking to create more content than they can get some profit on in a season pass, and they can only sell a season pass for so much. Ergo, they will only wast so much money and manpower create content beyond the expected six characters.

I bet we'll probably get Cassandra's SoulCalibur IV 2p outfit as CaS items, so maybe not completely through with those, if you're counting that.

But I'm also still possibly holding out on some hope of some kind of end of season pass bonus, be it some more CaS parts, a stage, or Edge Master.

I bet we'll probably get Cassandra's SoulCalibur IV 2p outfit as CaS items, so maybe not completely through with those, if you're counting that.

But I'm also still possibly holding out on some hope of some kind of end of season pass bonus, be it some more CaS parts, a stage, or Edge Master.
Right, and of course at the very least we'll get her default SCVI outfit in CaS items with her release. Beyond that, I'm really uncertain of where CaS goes from here. As I said before, I expect we'll get a few freebies with major update for a while, but will they be offering any more major packs? It kind of seems doubtful from where we're standing now. In a more perfect world, we'd get at least a few dozen extra items with regular updates from herein, maybe see edge master added in as a mimic, and maybe see some day and condition variants of the map added in to multiplayer, maybe even see a team battle mode--these are all things they could do on the cheap that fans would adore--but I'm not holding my breath on any of them.

But if we continue this idealized fantasy, then season two would retail for a little more than season one and thus would present not just the six remaining classic era characters, but also, let's say a pair of stages (more than two is too much to hope for even in a daydream scenario). And of course the rest of the soundtrack selection. Then, to stretch credulity to its absolute maximum, let's say they do a season three: let's imagine it retails closer to season one and has a similar composition: three SC characters (let's say Hilde, Algol, and a new original) and a guest character, plus two CaS packs of about 150 items each, plus a new stage for the third guest.

That's an extreme fantasy and it'll never happen, but that content would amount to +10 characters, +1 mimic, +approx. 350 CaS items, + 3 stages, +1 mode, +3 games worth of OST, +a few stage variants being made accessible to multiplayer. Now if we got all of that...then I'd be able to get on board with the general perspective that SCVI is one of the better SC games, rather than just a middle-tier one. But it would need at least that much (or the rough equivalent) for me to feel it was a complete game by the time ongoing support concludes--and honestly, I'll be gobsmacked if, in the final analysis, we get even 40% of the content on that list.

Last edited:
This might have already been answered but is there a reason why all this shit from 5 wasnt ported over? Like stages, cas, and hell even weapons?
Would porting those things really be that difficult? If anyone knows pls educate me

This might have already been answered but is there a reason why all this shit from 5 wasnt ported over? Like stages, cas, and hell even weapons?
Would porting those things really be that difficult? If anyone knows pls educate me
Porting items between engines and console generations does require some degree of labour; it is often times faster than starting an equivalent number of items from scratch, but its not free and this game has been constructed on a extreme budget. Long story short, as CaS and weapons go, they weren't interested in giving more out with the season pass than they were already obligated to. Stages, on the other hand, were never going to be just straight up copied. They are not simple object files and so cannot be just easily reconstructed: it would be as much if not more effort to try to faithfully recreate them in a new engine as it would be to just create new stages. Beyond that, it is very rare for stages to be replicated two games in a row (and on the few occasions that was done, the games were made in the same console generation and very similar engine builds). Lastly, the setting of the SCV stages would be completely discontiguous with the plot of SCVI, to say nothing of the divergence of art styles between the two games.

Lastly, there's too much activity in the background of the SCV maps, and Namco has apparently decided that background extras cost too much. Maybe the unionized? ;)

Last edited:
Any one else passing the time by playing the latest Samurai Shodown?

It's really a fantastic game. It emphasizes being able to predict your opponent and forces you to make tough calls. Matches feel so incredibly tense. Combos are almost non-existent too, if they're something that turn you off other 2D fighters.

I'm really happy that both SoulCalibur and SamSho are both alive and will be on the main stage of Evo in 2019. Two years ago I thought both series were never coming back (except maybe as Pachinko games).

I think Samsho and Soul Calibur are really complementary to one another, they have similar settings with vastly different mechanics making jumping between the two a welcomed change of pace. Also a lot of fighting games these days seem to blur into one another and suffer with what I call combo wank where you see nothing but opponents getting railed on in a corner which gets tiring to see over and over again.

Any one else passing the time by playing the latest Samurai Shodown?

It's really a fantastic game. It emphasizes being able to predict your opponent and forces you to make tough calls. Matches feel so incredibly tense. Combos are almost non-existent too, if they're something that turn you off other 2D fighters.

I'm really happy that both SoulCalibur and SamSho are both alive and will be on the main stage of Evo in 2019. Two years ago I thought both series were never coming back (except maybe as Pachinko games).
I haven't played Samurai Showdown in many, many years, and I never really logged as many hours with it as I did some other 2D fighters back in the day, but you're the second person I've seen sell it in roughly those terms in as many days, so I may give the new installment a chance. You know what the description really make me miss, though? Bushido Blade! Man, there was a franchise gone well before its time.

Adding the Astral Fissure variants of the maps really seems like it should be a no-brainer, with practically zero effort. Not sure why they can't at least give us that. I really doubt a Team Battle mode, if we're trying to be realistic, though the mechanic for the idea is certainly already in the game, for single player.

I do believe that we'll get at least one more stage, to even out the stage selection screen. And my personal bets are set on Seong Dojang. If they added two, they would throw off the symmetry again, so it would either have to be one or three, not two. If we were doing three, I'd say Money Pit and Azwel's Study Valentine Mansion, or if not Valentine Mansion... Jyurakudai Villa, to cap off the last of season two with Setsuka. That would be pretty amazing. But very seriously, I would just say one is the most likely outcome.

I'm not even going to entertain the idea of a season three. There just isn't room for it, and not even Tekken is getting a season three. But I do feel like season two, at its minimum expectancy of six characters and one stage, the game will feel more than adequate, if not great. I absolutely expect to get SoulCalibur IV and SoulCalibur V soundtracks with Cassandra, too, and you left that out of your list. It just doesn't make much sense for them to come this far and then not give the rest of the music, particularly because they used Dance of the Oracle in Amy's Soul Chronicle.

"No...it's not okay." — :sc2tal1:

I really miss the relationship between those two it was different than Kilik - X, Mina - Hwang, Amy - Raphael
It seemed like a healthy genuine friendship, they should of kicked more ass as a team!

Here's the full cast for the Comic Con panel. As JayShadow said, there's no Okubo:

So 21st (Tokyo Stage tournament) or 4th of August (EVO finals) it is. In other words, it's gonna be the EVO finals.

Is it just me or is it weird that Harada now head of the fighting game commity at Namco hasn’t staged anything like this for Soulcalibur and that Okubo and two others have to stream on YouTube with a hashed out translation guide to follow.

And major side eye for a weapon based 2D fighter along side a hand to hand 3D fighter with Soulcalibur still sitting in the trenches.

What the fuck is that, am I missing something?

Last edited:
I really miss the relationship between those two it was different than Kilik - X, Mina - Hwang, Amy - Raphael
It seemed like a healthy genuine friendship, they should of kicked more ass as a team!

Is it just me or is it weird that Harada now head of the fighting game commity at Namco hasn’t staged anything like this for Soulcalibur and that Okubo and two others have to stream on YouTube with a hashed out translation guide to follow.

And major side eye for a weapon based 2D fighter along side a hand to hand 3D fighter with Soulcalibur still sitting in the trenches.

Harada only cares about bringing Tekken the glory it rightfully deserves.

Adding the Astral Fissure variants of the maps really seems like it should be a no-brainer, with practically zero effort. Not sure why they can't at least give us that. I really doubt a Team Battle mode, if we're trying to be realistic, though the mechanic for the idea is certainly already in the game, for single player.

I do believe that we'll get at least one more stage, to even out the stage selection screen. And my personal bets are set on Seong Dojang. If they added two, they would throw off the symmetry again, so it would either have to be one or three, not two. If we were doing three, I'd say Money Pit and Azwel's Study Valentine Mansion, or if not Valentine Mansion... Jyurakudai Villa, to cap off the last of season two with Setsuka. That would be pretty amazing. But very seriously, I would just say one is the most likely outcome.

I'm not even going to entertain the idea of a season three. There just isn't room for it, and not even Tekken is getting a season three. But I do feel like season two, at its minimum expectancy of six characters and one stage, the game will feel more than adequate, if not great. I absolutely expect to get SoulCalibur IV and SoulCalibur V soundtracks with Cassandra, too, and you left that out of your list. It just doesn't make much sense for them to come this far and then not give the rest of the music, particularly because they used Dance of the Oracle in Amy's Soul Chronicle.

There are high chances Tekken 7 will be getting a season 3.

Now that you're saying it, it's weird indeed. Harada is a huge SamSho fan but still weird. (as soon as it doesn't mean a SamSho Guest is coming to T7 duh?). But for Okubo in the other note maybe it's just that he's being too busy with Cassandra (and Season 2?) to come out at this event, also consider that Evo is around the corner and Okubo will be there, so it's not really surprising that Okubo won't be at SCC.

Last edited:
Back