Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Yep, six more days until disappointment/despair. :sc4amy1:
Oh my, I really want to get excited, hell I already am beginning to, but now I'm just expecting yet another delay. Please Okubo...

But I agree that if Tekken had 8-way-run, it would be a much better game.

Yeah I mean generally speaking I care a lot about movement, but Tekken feels so stiff and it hurts my fingers to even do the movement in that game. I really want to play a Tekken (I've neglected all the games each time I got them) but learning it sometimes feels like a lost cause since I need to timeout constantly over hand pains. Also ridiculous things you have to do for effective back dash and such isn't very fun.
Even though I'm not a fan of the air juggling I can get down with it but the movement... Damn.

I really hope for Tekken 8 they at the very least consider a movement revamp.
CiQZJYy.png

The issue with Tekken is that you've got to learn a back dash cancel as a fundamental to stand a chance which is not only difficult to do effectively but it's not even taught to the player within the game. I've spent many upon many days trying to do the KBD efficiently and I'm still no where near the dexterity levels the low mid players are. I can effectively move around the stage with speed but my characters look like they've having epilepsy when I'm doing it. Tekken has a massive barrier to entry and will always be a hurdle for new players but you do get the payoff when you work at it. I enjoy the game but I personally don't find it as fun as Soul Calibur. That's not a knock at Tekken, it's each to their own.

The issue with Tekken is that you've got to learn a back dash cancel as a fundamental to stand a chance which is not only difficult to do effectively but it's not even taught to the player within the game. I've spent many upon many days trying to do the KBD efficiently and I'm still no where near the dexterity levels the low mid players are. I can effectively move around the stage with speed but my characters look like they've having epilepsy when I'm doing it. Tekken has a massive barrier to entry and will always be a hurdle for new players but you do get the payoff when you work at it. I enjoy the game but I personally don't find it as fun as Soul Calibur. That's not a knock at Tekken, it's each to their own.

I mean, I respect Tekken as it genuinely has its own style.
But the game is terrible at guiding and teaching to be honest you literally NEED the community. Learning things like KBD is a bit ridiculous? It seems so... I mean I guess just an unnecessary barrier to be honest, something that I think just happens a lot in general in Tekken. Like they can definitely make the movement smoother and more coherent whilst still maintaining its integrity and fashion.
I've played Tekken 7 enough to have a period where its like, I can play it coherently, but its movement just always haunts me.
I honestly think the rest of game is fine and can stay however they want it, but movement just seems like dummy barrier, in lag it makes for an even more haunting experience.

I find learning the game to be rewarding, but I don't find trying to do the basics of moving and finding it difficult fun. I don't mind hard combo's with focused positions etc just...8wayrunme

Before SCVI was even announced, I played Tekken 7 for a while. I gave it a chance, but dropped the game some months later. I can't stand the movement in that game and it's the main reason why I quit, but not because it's more difficult than 8wayrun. It simply isn't fun to play with such stiff movement and it always felt like sidestepping wasn't very effective. But even if Tekken had 8wayrun movement, I would still never like it as much as SoulCalibur because its characters, world setting and lore aren't nearly as interesting. It's always about a tournament that doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things and it's always about the Mishimas. The customisation is trash. Everything about that game feels boring and lifeless to me. It annoys me that Tekken is more successful than SoulCalibur because it doesn't deserve it.

I only like the classic Tekken games up to T5 because of nostalgia, better single player experience and much better music.

Last edited:
@Apoc Revolution

Can you not write in custom coloured text please, it's difficult to read when you're using the white forum theme that I just glaze over what you say every time you use it.

Reactions: Ave
@Apoc Revolution

Can you not write in custom coloured text please, it's difficult to read when you're using the white forum theme that I just glaze over what you say every time you use it.

I changed it to default now... I normally change the colour to match my avatar and I wanted it to look slightly different, but my current avatar is mostly white anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I can't stand the movement in that game and it's the main reason why I quit, but not because it's more difficult than 8wayrun. It simply isn't fun to play with such stiff movement and it always felt like sidestepping wasn't very effective.

Because Tekken 7 has vertical tracking moves I think, its why its stiff and terrible movement just doesn't really add in my opinion.
I believe in T7 you have to step just after a move has started to evade its tracking? Or you at least need to time it specifically and with how stiff it is to move in Tekken and added lag is actually quite a terrible system at least for a lot of online players.
At least in SC you can confidently hold up direction and know that at some point your character will definitely go, in Tekken its just mashing to get that sidestep working.

I've played with too much lag on there to respect any form of lag on Tekken.

Honestly, despite the fact that I’ve been playing Tekken for a couple years, the only reason I could really tolerate playing was because I mained Lili (best mobility in game).

I bought DOA6 a week before Texas Showdown and I already prefer it solely due to the movement being better.

Inb4, PS will release Cass as the last DLC of season 3 Kappa
Change of plan!

Next week’s announcement is... Dampierre!

Season two announced at EVO, first two characters are Xiba and Leixia!

Three months of since later... Pyrrha and Patroklos!

Six months of silence later... SOON and Harada TEKKEN!

Nine months of silence later...season three coming and maybe Cassandra and Hwang, light teasing...

A year later... season three is cancelled!! :sc5dam1:

I think that 740 for SC6 is really not that bad, especially considering the game doesn't have a world tour, from this point it can only go forward. But the game need to have more content and updates in the future. (More DLC characters, stages, and a SC world tour would be great too)
I think 740 is pretty bad. Usually entry numbers are highest when a game is new and then slowly drop as the game gets older. There are only a few big games that have bucked this trend (Tekken, for example).

The fact that SC's numbers as so low this early in its life suggests that it will have a short competitive lifespan.

Back