Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Also, it's not "confirmation bias" on my part, but the natural conclusion. Believe me, I'd love Lizardman, but I doubt he'll be DLC. He's just not popular enough as a character to warrant it.

You people have this made-up rule that newcomers can't be DLC, never mind all the times they were. Let's be real, the fact that they're new, with a new appearance, style, story and so on, is enticing it and of itself.

Also, it's not "confirmation bias" on my part, but the natural conclusion. Believe me, I'd love Lizardman, but I doubt he'll be DLC. He's just not popular enough as a character to warrant it.
Speak for yourself. Aeon/Lizardman is already pretty iconic among the diehard and casuals alike for being one of the few non human combatants in the franchise, coupled with a different take on the sword/axe and shield weapon type that has become gradually more unique to fit his character and archetype. Not to mention a pretty interesting and tragic backstory.

You people have this made-up rule that newcomers can't be DLC, never mind all the times they were. Let's be real, the fact that they're new, with a new appearance, style, story and so on, is enticing it and of itself.

In your defense, I suppose it's possible that a new character could be DLC - it's definitely not wrong to consider that them being new, and the new content focused around them, could be enticing to people wanting to buy season 2. Honestly, I could get into that (if well-executed).

However, you can also argue the opposite that a new character in the season pass might be a turn-off for some buyers, especially given how there are still some legacy characters who are missing from this game who people are butthurt about and want back. It depends on how hard this game is going to ride the nostalgia train to make a profit using season 2 by bringing more legacy characters, at least that's what I'm surmising. (Yes, this is what I want to see, hence it inevitably colors my expectations).

I can't totally get behind the idea that one of the season 2 characters will be a newcomer. So, I think this is just one of those situations where I agree to disagree with you. Peace out, Nyte. :)

Also, outta curiosity, when were "all the times" that new characters were DLC in Soul Calibur? (Dampierre? Who else?). I ask out of ignorance; I'm too lazy to go through that damn stupid fan-made wiki.

Last edited:
In your defense, it's very well possible that a new character could be DLC - it's definitely not wrong to consider that them being new, and the new content focused around them, could be enticing to people wanting to buy season 2. Honestly, I could get into that.

However, you can also argue the opposite that a new character in the season pass might be a turn-off for some buyers, especially given how there are still some legacy characters who are missing from this game who people are butthurt about and want back. It depends on how hard this game is going to ride the nostalgia train to make a profit using season 2 by bringing more legacy characters, at least that's what I'm surmising.

I can't totally get behind the idea that one of the season 2 characters will be a newcomer. So, I think this is just one of those situations where I agree to disagree with you. Peace out, Nyte. :)

Also, outta curiosity, when were "all the times" that new characters were DLC in Soul Calibur? (Dampierre? Who else?). I ask out of ignorance; I'm too lazy to go through that damn stupid fan-made wiki.
Considering Dampierre originally appeared in Broken Destiny and not SCV, I can’t really classify him as a “newcomer DLC.” I guess you could say Darth Vader or Yoda for 360 and PS3 respectively but at the same time they were already available by default on the consoles they were originally exclusive to.

I for one would love a new female character. We need one that will actually stick.

Do we, though? I don't think this is the right time for the game to be fitting in newcomers. If there even will be one, Season Pass 3 would be the right time for that. The game's already doing well enough as it is without introducing a character nobody knows or wants to care about until they get their old characters back. Say what you want about Rock or Lizardman, but certain people do like them and it's going to be a bigger slap in the face to more people if they don't bring them back in comparison to not introducing a character we can't even know if we'll care about or not. Also, forgive me, but most of the time when you bring up the female character thing, you tend to make a comment about how they need to be "sexy" or something as well...why do we need another one of those? 90% of the women on the roster are already designed with the intention of catering to straight men. In my opinion, if we want interest and variety in characters, it would do the devs well to dress the next female character in a more...clothed fashion. Not saying sexy is bad, but when ALL the women on the roster are designed this way, yes it is kind of annoying, and it would add more spice if we got another Hilde-like design, if not Hilde herself. Nevermind the fact that the men on the roster clearly aren't designed with the intention of being sexualised in comparison to the women. Kinda funny that all these people hating on MK11's "SJW unequal" designs don't care to target SCVI for this reason instead...wonder why that is. Oh, it's a mystery. Quite impossible to figure out, really.

It's a tough balance: you wanna get hype, indulge your enthusiasm, and start imagining all the things the game can possibly have in it, but you also have to keep your expectations realistic... it all circles back to Amy, "hope only brings disappointment."
Which, unfortunately, Amy herself ended up being the ultimate exemplar of, in a rather meta-appropriate and yet still depressing way--for me anyway.
I doubt we will see a new character for this Season Pass. If the game is supported well enough for a Season 3 then I'm sure that it will be when we see a new character in place of a guest.
Just so--I agree 100% with your assessment; that's my read as well. I think right now Okubo and team want to probably slip in the following characters before the end of the game's dlc support, in addition to Haohmaru: Aeon/Lizardman, Hilde, Hwang, Setsuka, and some combination of two from Li Long, Rock and Yun-Seong. I used to think that Hilde was less likely, at least until after all of the SE-SCIII regulars got re-introduced, but given things we've seen recently and the fact that I am thinking a season three is probably at least as likely as not, I'm no longer certain of that. We don't know for certain how predictive the colour scheme is. I think given we all expected Setsuka and many of us expected Hwang (whose name means 'Yellow'....which was included in the data "leak"), and we now have cherry blossom pink slot and a yellow slot...it probably does mean something.

And I gotta tell you, I know Nyte's going to have a strong reaction to this, but I think grey means Rock (aka 'Stone' from the same "leak"). I wouldn't have expected him, because I was certain Lizardman was on the pitch, until I saw that particular colour there--which is really noticeable in contrast to the bright colours of the other characters. If the other colours are predictive, then the flat grey certainly is as well. I do suppose there is an outside chance of grey being used for either Hilde or Lizardman after the fact, but I suspect its one of the three and I'm starting to feel more and more curious as to whether they would introduce Rock after giving him such short-shrift in the narrative. Well, it could be a while before we know. Anyway, if there is going to be a new character (and honestly, I doubt there is), it would certainly come in Season 3, with little to no chance for Season 2.
Unlikely. In that conversation, it was narrowed down to the three excluding Haohmaru so there's really no confusing the context here.
People aren't objecting to your construction as a matter of context, but rather the actual words spoken:

Kayane: I understand better ! Four characters and one is Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown!
M.O.: Haohmaru, yes.
K.: And three legacy characters.
M.O.: Maybe?
K : Or maybe a new one?
M.O.: long pause, hesitant You’ll see! Please wait!

First off, we don't know how long or how hesitant that pause was, which is definitely a "your mileage will vary" assessment of someone's intention from their pause. But even if the transcription captures his response perfectly, it still means nothing: all we know is that he was hesitant and non-commital. Also, his exact words have been translated, and that could make a world of difference in the meaning of one-word response.

Also, have you ever seen Kayane interview Okubo before? She carpet bombs him with question from every significant angle she would expect a hardcore player to inquire about, but because these interviews are always taking place --after-- a major reveal, he is necessarily cautious about going off script. So he responds where he can with regard to the content that is immediately incoming but otherwise weathers the other questions like an indulgent uncle responding to his favourite niece: "Maybe? [Look I want to tell you more, but you know I can't!]" In any event, looking at both the context and the literal wording there, all we can say is that all options clearly remain on the table, insofar as Okubo's level of commitment to anything is concerned.

Stepping aside for a moment from what I think is likely to happen (because i think there's room for considerable doubt regarding one or two characters at least), my ideal scenario would be the following: presuming there was a Season 3, and it too had four characters, I would want it to be composed of Haohmaru, Aeon/Lizardman, Hilde, Hwang, Li Long, Rock, Setsuka, and Yun-seong: that would be the entire SCIII:AE playable roster, plus Hilde, Azwel, Groh, Geralt, 2B, and Haohmaru. In other words, the best roster in the series history as judged by who is included. I think that's a much nicer and cleaner conclusion to rest on, in a fashion consistent with the tone of this game than some random new original character--whose just going to be dumb as shit, with some magical, ridiculously impractically shaped weapon and some sort of eye-jarring over the top wardrobe and corny dialogue. Ugh, enough of those guys: if that's the risk, give me anyone on the above list any day. But as I said above, I think at least a couple of those characters could be swapped out in lieu of another guest--and thus I suppose its at least possible (if less likely) that they would also drop one or two classic characters for a new original, same as they might for another guest.

Last edited:
Do we, though? I don't think this is the right time for the game to be fitting in newcomers. If there even will be one, Season Pass 3 would be the right time for that. The game's already doing well enough as it is without introducing a character nobody knows or wants to care about until they get their old characters back. Say what you want about Rock or Lizardman, but certain people do like them and it's going to be a bigger slap in the face to more people if they don't bring them back in comparison to not introducing a character we can't even know if we'll care about or not. Also, forgive me, but most of the time when you bring up the female character thing, you tend to make a comment about how they need to be "sexy" or something as well...why do we need another one of those? 90% of the women on the roster are already designed with the intention of catering to straight men. In my opinion, if we want interest and variety in characters, it would do the devs well to dress the next female character in a more...clothed fashion. Not saying sexy is bad, but when ALL the women on the roster are designed this way, yes it is kind of annoying, and it would add more spice if we got another Hilde-like design, if not Hilde herself. Nevermind the fact that the men on the roster clearly aren't designed with the intention of being sexualised in comparison to the women. Kinda funny that all these people hating on MK11's "SJW unequal" designs don't care to target SCVI for this reason instead...wonder why that is. Oh, it's a mystery. Quite impossible to figure out, really.
If you ask me, the use of sexy is quite suggestive as a whole. I mean does sexy really equate to someone looking nearly uncovered with only a few borders on specific areas or having body proportions that blow your mind (such as a woman having beach ball like breasts or a man’s chest being extremely ripped)? As far as I’m concerned not everyone is really going to find someone such as Ivy really appealing. Whereas they would look at Hilde and find her more appealing despite being more conservative, or in other words “sexy.” Honestly, this term just feels like it’s being used really poorly sometimes.

And I gotta tell you, I know Nyte's going to have a strong reaction to this, but I think grey means Rock (aka 'Stone' from the same "leak"). I wouldn't have expected him, because I was certain Lizardman was on the pitch, until I saw that particular colour there--which is really noticeable in contrast to the bright colours of the other characters. If the other colours are predictive, then the flat grey certainly is as well. I do suppose there is an outside chance of grey being used for either Hilde or Lizardman after the fact, but I suspect its one of the three and I'm starting to feel more and more curious as to whether they would introduce Rock after giving him such short-shrift in the narrative.

let the Rock flow through you! I won't lie. If we get a brand new character I will be supremely disappointed. If we get Rock or Lizardman in Season 2 i will be very pleased. More so for Rock because he is Rock bottom in popularity for the classic characters. Let's give him a chance to redeem himself!

Read the interview again. The context matters, also remember that 2B was foreshadowed a year ago in a very similar context with Kayane. It's worth considering.
I just provided the entire context and the exact words, which, by the way, are the immediate beginning of the transcription

They ain't wasting that DLC spot on Aeon or Rock, I'm certain.
In my opinion, your read with regard to Rock at least is based more in the bizarre anger hard-on you have for him than on any actual concrete evidence. And you're wrong, I'm certain--Lizardman is almost certainly in, especially if there is a third season pass. And Rock is probably as likely as not.

The reason a newcomer is widely believed is because of an interview with Kayane. When asked if all three are legacies, he said "maybe". When asked if one is new, he made a long pause and was very hesitant to answer, before telling her to wait and see.
Please read my previous response: I deconstructed your assumption there in about a half dozen different ways, none of which you seem to have noticed.

If it were all legacies, like Tekken 7 S2, they would've made it clear right away. They didn't.
Yeah, right, because that's what this team does right? That's what we've spent the last year talking about constantly as a community: how with the first season pass, they were being so transparent about what and who was coming. That they would never hold back even broadstroke details for ages. Are you kidding me here?

All the characters unused from the SCIII era are pretty bottom-tier in popularity apart from the hinted Hwang/Setsuka, so I can see it.
No, they aren't. You're projecting your own (particularly strong) bias on to everyone else, with very little in the way of concrete evidence. Plenty of people like the remaining pre-SCIV legacy characters, especially since there are fewer and fewer legacy characters left from which to choose, and the other options are the SCV cast, Dampierre, and more anime emos with wizard weapons. I guarantee you the average long-term veteran player on these boards would gladly take Hwang, Lizardman, or Rock over those alternatives. Viola excepted: I'm pretty sure they could drop her whenever and very few people would complain.

Last edited:
let the Rock flow through you! I won't lie. If we get a brand new character I will be supremely disappointed. If we get Rock or Lizardman in Season 2 i will be very pleased. More so for Rock because he is Rock bottom in popularity for the classic characters. Let's give him a chance to redeem himself!
If they do plan to bring Rock in at some point, I do hope they improve on his gameplay. Dude hasn’t really had a break since Astaroth began outclassing him in the super heavyweight archetype.

#MakeRockSolidAgain

Which, unfortunately, Amy herself ended up being the ultimate exemplar of, in a rather meta-appropriate and yet still depressing way--for me anyway.

Just so--I agree 100% with your assessment; that's my read as well. I think right now Okubo and team want to probably slip in the following characters before the end of the game's dlc support, in addition to Haohmaru: Aeon/Lizardman, Hilde, Hwang, Setsuka, and some combination of two from Li Long, Rock and Yun-Seong. I used to think that Hilde was less likely, at least until after all of the SE-SCIII regulars got re-introduced, but given things we've seen recently and the fact that I am thinking a season three is probably at least as likely as not, I'm no longer certain of that. We don't know for certain how predictive the colour scheme is. I think given we all expected Setsuka and many of us expected Hwang (whose name means 'Yellow'....which was included in the data "leak"), and we now have cherry blossom pink slot and a yellow slot...it probably does mean something.

And I gotta tell you, I know Nyte's going to have a strong reaction to this, but I think grey means Rock (aka 'Stone' from the same "leak"). I wouldn't have expected him, because I was certain Lizardman was on the pitch, until I saw that particular colour there--which is really noticeable in contrast to the bright colours of the other characters. If the other colours are predictive, then the flat grey certainly is as well. I do suppose there is an outside chance of grey being used for either Hilde or Lizardman after the fact, but I suspect its one of the three and I'm starting to feel more and more curious as to whether they would introduce Rock after giving him such short-shrift in the narrative. Well, it could be a while before we know. Anyway, if there is going to be a new character (and honestly, I doubt there is), it would certainly come in Season 3, with little to no chance for Season 2.

People aren't objecting to your construction as a matter of context, but rather the actual words spoken:

Kayane: I understand better ! Four characters and one is Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown!
M.O.: Haohmaru, yes.
K.: And three legacy characters.
M.O.: Maybe?
K : Or maybe a new one?
M.O.: long pause, hesitant You’ll see! Please wait!

First off, we don't know how long or how hesitant that pause was, which is definitely a "your mileage will vary" assessment of someone's intention from their pause. But even if the transcription captures his response perfectly, it still means nothing: all we know is that he was hesitant and non-commital. Also, his exact words have been translated, and that could make a world of difference in the meaning of one-word response.

Also, have you ever seen Kayane interview Okubo before? She carpet bombs him with question from every significant angle she would expect a hardcore player to inquire about, but because these interviews are always taking place --after-- a major reveal, he is necessarily cautious about going off script. So he responds where he can with regard to the content that is immediately incoming but otherwise weathers the other questions like an indulgent uncle responding to his favourite niece: "Maybe? [Look I want to tell you more, but you know I can't!]" In any event, looking at both the context and the literal wording there, all we can say is that all options clearly remain on the table, insofar as Okubo's level of commitment to anything is concerned.

Stepping aside for a moment from what I think is likely to happen (because i think there's room for considerable doubt regarding one or two characters at least), my ideal scenario would be the following: presuming there was a Season 3, and it too had four characters, I would want it to be composed of Haohmaru, Aeon/Lizardman, Hilde, Hwang, Li Long, Rock, Setsuka, and Yun-seong: that would be the entire SCIII:AE playable roster, plus Hilde, Azwel, Groh, Geralt, 2B, and Haohmaru. In other words, the best roster in the series history as judged by who is included. I think that's a much nicer and cleaner conclusion to rest on, in a fashion consistent with the tone of this game than some random new original character--whose just going to be dumb as shit, with some magical, ridiculously impractically shaped weapon and some sort of eye-jarring over the top wardrobe and corny dialogue. Ugh, enough of those guys: if that's the risk, give me anyone on the above list any day. But as I said above, I think at least a couple of those characters could be swapped out in lieu of another guest--and thus I suppose its at least possible (if less likely) that they would also drop one or two classic characters for a new original, same as they might for another guest.
You think the white one is Rock because "white = Stone"? I explained before, I thought that equating white to Rock was tenuous at best, and the argument used before was that he had the lore nickname "The White Giant", but that's only a nickname based on him being white as a race. He has no white theme otherwise. On top of the counterpoints that have been done to death, not to mention Okubo's reaction heavily indicating a newcomer, I also highly, highly doubt they'll close S2 (and possibly even SCVI entirely) on a character that's as uninteresting and forgotten as Rock.

Dude, look at it objectively. All DLC characters need to sell. That means they to do either A) Have popularity or B) Have wide appeal. I know you're going to say "STOP PROJECTING YUR OPINION!!!1" to this reaction, but it's the truth. Rock really is "Rock"-bottom in popularity, and he ain't going to move shit as DLC. I imagine Project Soul knows this. It doesn't really take a genius to figure this out. Just imagine which one general audiences would rush to get more:

Rock, who's generic and a worse Astaroth with his best elements composited to him?

OR

A new female character with a sexy design and fresh new fighting style?

I'm not speaking that part as a opinion. I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone trying to make DLC that will sell. The "Rock vs. A Girl" argument I just made highlights this. I think it's rather sad that you want, even expect, classic characters that are bottom tier like Rock before a newcomer.

I think Tekken 7 did Leroy Smith because they knew he would have more appeal than characters like Baek or Ganryu, bottom-tier characters in other words. Tekken 7 had a lot more classic characters burn through to get to that point too.

Anyways, if the last spot ends up being new, don't be surprised.

It would be a dream scenario if Bandai Namco takes a page from SNK and gives us Aeon as a free DLC character separate from the Season Pass. Imagine them announcing Aeon for free as a thank you to fans since he was a character they couldn't finish in time for launch. Throw in Edge Master too.

... Too bad this ain't happening...

So why Dampierre is a DLC in SC V??:sc5dam1:

I've seen so many videos of people playing SCV and my OCD is triggered by his blank slot. To be fair to them, Damp was really half-assed in that game.

@DanteSC3 I've been re-reading the library entry for Hwang....and the information given almost seems like it's got storyline potential there. Additionally, is the pirate ship he chased Maxi's? It was apparently a ryukyu ship and I believe Maxi is from there.

Him losing subordinate's lives in recklessness and trying to find what's important to him could be a storyline. At least more than what they wrote for Yun-Seong who just fanboys over Hwang and flirts with Mina

So why Dampierre is a DLC in SC V??:sc5dam1:
He was a pre-order because they needed some way to get people to pre-order that damn game.

Anyways, again, this idea that "they won't do newcomers as DLC!" is rooted in a completely fictitious rule that DLC characters can't be newcomers, one that has no basis in reality given several games have had DLC newcomers including just recently Leroy Smith in Tekken 7.

Another thing I thought about is that DLC likely gives them the chance to add in concepts that couldn't make it before. Given the short time and low budget they had, they likely had to cut several corners in getting the game made, and now that they have Season 2 they can revisit them. As it stands, there's only two newcomers in the game, both of them male. The standard is three I think, and the fact that there's no female newcomer always seemed odd.

It is very, very likely the team had a female newcomer somewhere in the concept stages but she couldn't make the cut. That's another reason I'd bet they'll add one here, especially because the remaining SCIII-era characters have little popularity and are terrible choices for DLC.

1565671756027.png

So I just wanna say it's a gold/yellow, Red, pink, and then grey.
Pink really only fits setsuka. Maybe Hilde's red colors and hair if this applies to her.
The grey color applies to Rock for obvious reasons and Hilde because of her armor.

Still think the colors mean nothing though.

You think the white one is Rock because "white = Stone"? I explained before, I thought that equating white to Rock was tenuous at best, and the argument used before was that he had the lore nickname "The White Giant", but that's only a nickname based on him being white as a race. He has no white theme otherwise. On top of the counterpoints that have been done to death, not to mention Okubo's reaction heavily indicating a newcomer, I also highly, highly doubt they'll close S2 (and possibly even SCVI entirely) on a character that's as uninteresting and forgotten as Rock.

Dude, look at it objectively. All DLC characters need to sell. That means they to do either A) Have popularity or B) Have wide appeal. I know you're going to say "STOP PROJECTING YUR OPINION!!!1" to this reaction, but it's the truth. Rock really is "Rock"-bottom in popularity, and he ain't going to move shit as DLC. I imagine Project Soul knows this. It doesn't really take a genius to figure this out. Just imagine which one general audiences would rush to get more:

Rock, who's generic and a worse Astaroth with his best elements composited to him?

OR

A new female character with a sexy design and fresh new fighting style?

I'm not speaking that part as a opinion. I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone trying to make DLC that will sell. The "Rock vs. A Girl" argument I just made highlights this. I think it's rather sad that you want, even expect, classic characters that are bottom tier like Rock before a newcomer.

I think Tekken 7 did Leroy Smith because they knew he would have more appeal than characters like Baek or Ganryu, bottom-tier characters in other words. Tekken 7 had a lot more classic characters burn through to get to that point too.

Anyways, if the last spot ends up being new, don't be surprised.
First off, if you're going to define that frame by one colour, it's clearly grey, not "white"; you're trying to split your argument here by arguing that these colours must mean something on the one hand, while also describing the last one as white, a colour which literally not one character (except maybe Maxi, who is already in the game) in the entire franchise lore is in any way associated with...all to avoid seeing what I think every other human saw when they looked at that frame: grey, the colour of stone, aka 'rock'..

Second, I've already pulled this "it's gotta be sex bomb, not ugly ol' Rock" argument apart a dozen times (as have others) in your "Stone is not Rock" thread: your argument amounts to someone saying "'Comfortably Numb' is the best Pink Floyd song ever! Why would they put anything else on The Wall--it should just be that song over and over!!" Well, how about because it wouldn't work as a media product/work of art if you did that? Not every character can be the same exact model, and plenty of them in this franchise are decidedly not sexy girls (or sexy anything), homie... I mean, Aeon, Abyss, Algol, Astaroth, Azwel, Cervantes, Charade, Dampierre, Darth Vader, Edge Master, Heihachi, Inferno, Lizardman, Necrid, Nightmare, Night Terror, Olcadan, Pyrrha Omega, Spawn, Voldo, Yoda, Yoshimitsu. I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one or two old, fugly, or monstrous characters. They're designing these movesets (and the season pass content) as part of a collective work that has to function as a composite whole and not every character is going to be a sex bunny. I mean, do you really need this explained to you again? Why is this not intuitive knowledge to you as a long time fighter player? Chun-li was one-eighth of the original SFII cast: one-half was Blanca, E. Honda, Dhalsim and Zangief...

Furthermore, just about everyone is agreed that Setsuka is likely to be in this season pass. More than enough sexiness considering the first season pass was all female, including literal sex object 2B, and an increasingly buxomized Cassandra. Indeed, that season pass got plenty of people moaning about the "waifu" character of the first season--which personally I view as the equally unfounded inverse of your own problematically extreme view on the matter, but at a minimum it establishes that female characters are not universally embraced over male ones. Not that any reasonable person should have thought as much, given every Soulcalibur game has more male than female characters.

And again, you have no evidence beyond projecting your own hang-ups about certain characters that said characters "won't sell"; you literally said "You're just going to say I'm only presenting my own opinion without evidence but [repeat of opinion without an further evidence]." That doesn't really address the fundamental flaw in your argument that is being highlighted.

Anyways, again, this idea that "they won't do newcomers as DLC!" is rooted in a completely fictitious rule that DLC characters can't be newcomers, one that has no basis in reality given several games have had DLC newcomers including just recently Leroy Smith in Tekken 7.
No, it's rooted in no such thing: that's a complete strawman argument: literally no one has argued that DLC characters can't be original characters--at least not that I have seen in this thread. Rather people are arguing that it's unlikely to happen in this particular case, for a very large number of reasons all converging on the same conclusion. But I don't think anybody here would describe it as an outright possibility. At present we have far too little direct knowledge to be 100% certain of anything. But some things remain highly improbable.

Last edited:
@DanteSC3 I've been re-reading the library entry for Hwang....and the information given almost seems like it's got storyline potential there. Additionally, is the pirate ship he chased Maxi's? It was apparently a ryukyu ship and I believe Maxi is from there.

Him losing subordinate's lives in recklessness and trying to find what's important to him could be a storyline. At least more than what they wrote for Yun-Seong who just fanboys over Hwang and flirts with Mina
Yes, Hwang has his own quest to find out what he can about Soul Edge, as well as retrieving Seong Mi-na, who is getting herself into all sorts of shenanigans, but most importantly, he's serving his country, trying to protect it from threats. It's very possible the Ryukyu ship is Maxi's, or at least some of his men, if Maxi was busy at the time.

First off, if you're going to define that frame by one colour, it's clearly grey, not "white"; you're trying to split your argument here by arguing that these colours must mean something on the one hand, while also describing the last one as white, a colour which literally not one character (except maybe Maxi, who is already in the game) in the entire franchise lore is in any way associated with...all to avoid seeing what I think every other human saw when they looked at that frame: grey, the colour of stone, aka 'rock'..

Second, I've already pulled this "it's gotta be sex bomb, not ugly ol' Rock" argument apart a dozen times (as have others) in your "Stone is not Rock" thread: your argument amounts to someone saying "'Comfortably Numb' is the best Pink Floyd song ever! Why would they put anything else on The Wall--it should just be that song over and over!!" Well, how about because it wouldn't work as a media product/work of art if you did that? Not every character can be the same exact model, and plenty of them in this franchise are decidedly not sexy girls (or sexy anything), homie... I mean, Aeon, Abyss, Algol, Astaroth, Azwel, Cervantes, Charade, Dampierre, Darth Vader, Edge Master, Heihachi, Inferno, Lizardman, Necrid, Nightmare, Night Terror, Olcadan, Pyrrha Omega, Spawn, Voldo, Yoda, Yoshimitsu. I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one or two old, fugly, or monstrous characters. They're designing these movesets (and the season pass content) as part of a collective work that has to function as a composite whole and not every character is going to be a sex bunny. I mean, do you really need this explained to you again? Why is this not intuitive knowledge to you as a long time fighter player? Chun-li was one-eighth of the original SFII cast: one-half was Blanca, E. Honda, Dhalsim and Zangief...

Furthermore, just about everyone is agreed that Setsuka is likely to be in this season pass. More than enough sexiness considering the first season pass was all female, including literal sex object 2B, and an increasingly buxomized Cassandra. Indeed, that season pass got plenty of people moaning about the "waifu" character of the first season--which personally I view as the equally unfounded inverse of your own problematically extreme view on the matter, but at a minimum it establishes that female characters are not universally embraced over male ones. Not that any reasonable person should have thought as much, given every Soulcalibur game has more male than female characters.

And again, you have no evidence beyond projecting your own hang-ups about certain characters that said characters "won't sell"; you literally said "You're just going to say I'm only presenting my own opinion without evidence but [repeat of opinion without an further evidence]." That doesn't really address the fundamental flaw in your argument that is being highlighted.

No, it's rooted in no such thing: that's a complete strawman argument: literally no one has argued that DLC characters can't be original characters--at least not that I have seen in this thread. Rather people are arguing that it's unlikely to happen in this particular case, for a very large number of reasons all converging on the same conclusion. But I don't think anybody here would describe it as an outright possibility. At present we have far too little direct knowledge to be 100% certain of anything. But some things remain highly improbable.
Now you're just moving the goalposts.

NO, this was never about "just" a having sexy female character, but I was pointing at that one of them would sell a lot more than Rock. The difference between all those character you listed is that they have popularity, which Rock completely lacks. Also, you say "no one is arguing it can't happen" when a lot of people are. There is no evidence that suggests against the idea of a new character, but there is evidence that points towards it (the interview, in case I have to spell it out). You're in a state of delusion if you think Rock, Li Long or any of the other bottom of the barrel popularity characters are somehow more likely than a newcomer made for mass appeal. All the counterarguments made against it are rooted in the idea that a newcomer can't be DLC, which has been proven wrong multiple times.

As I say, the DLC has to sell. Rock isn't going to sell, I can deduce that by his non-existent popularity and total redundancy as a style. You think the guys as PS won't? It's their job to make the deduction of what will be popular and what won't. I used the "Rock vs. A Girl" example to illustrate that (of course, you strawman that for your own argument). I also pointed out that PS very likely had a female newcomer planned, if only because it would make sense (three newcomers as standard, and a new girl, rather than two male newcomers).

Until I have reason to believe otherwise, my educated guess for S2 is Hwang/Haohmaru/Setsuka/Newcomer, and you're just gonna have to accept it. What if it turns out right? This whole thing will look pretty silly then.

Back