Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

We know that the physical sales of the three versions are somewhere above 1 million
Well, by all means, please provide your source, if you have anything that references actual sales figures. We actually don't know for a certainty that the game is above 1 million sales, though it is probably a safe bet. But 1 million sales for a game like this is actually not great. It's probably enough to make back the game's the production and distribution costs and then some, but its not the type of figure a major publisher wants to see on a game like this.[/QUOTE]
and digital is absolutely massive nowadays.
Digital sales are actually included in the projections I discussed before, so those have already been addressed. In fact, digital is not just massive, its actually the lions share of sales for most games now, so its probably safe for you to presume (unless your source tells you otherwise) that they are rolled into the sales figures you are seeing. But again, if you have a source saying the game has definitely sold more than a million copies in physical sales alone, let's by all means have a look at it.
Also, it was reported to have sold better than SCV
Yes, I've seen that "reporting" too. Problem is, there's a lot of quasi-amateur/click-bait reporting when it comes to games, and every source I've seen on this topic falls into that category. Basically one guy (in the mode of Dynasty of Vergeben) claimed the game was selling better than SCV and then a dozen other fly-by-night game news outlets repeated the story while doing absolutely nothing to scrutinize or question it. And its questionable how reliable the initial reporting could be, given Namco has given absolutely nothing in terms of official sales figures. Its all conjecture and rumor, so far.
Namco spoke positively of the sales
In very vague terms. Which they would do, to some degree, regardless of how well the game sold.
and Okubo confirmed we only have S2 because it sold well enough.
Really? In a tweet, I presume? Would you mind sharing it here? In any event, yeah, that makes sense: of course the game had to hit a certain target level of sales to justify another season. But it's still unlikely to have been the only (or even necesarily the largest) factor behind the decision to proceed with multiple season passes. Still, I'd love to see that comment, since it is the first time to my knowledge that Okubo has ever said anything about the game's sales.
Anyways, Samurai Shodown is a smaller game and has a much better Season Pass. That's funny, and why I think SC could learn something from it.
Well, 'better' is clearly subjective, but isn't most of that season pass yet to be released? In any event, I haven't played enough of the game to have an opinion on the matter, but as for value, I will say that production costs and times are usually significantly higher for 3D fighters vs. 2D--there's just a lot more to nail.

I’m kinda in the boat where despite the success in sales of SCVI I wouldn’t say the series is really up there quite yet. Don’t get me wrong, even with the things the game improved on over SCV it certainly had to take steps back from it. Plus, much like V it was under a limited budget (granted V suffered a budget cut due to natural disasters).
Yeah, the sense I get is that SCVI was viewed by most dedicated fans as the first step in the right direction for the franchise in quite some time--personally, I'm a little more lukewarm on it, but its clear to me that most hardcore/veteran fans have embraced this entry pretty strongly, at least initially--but I don't think it did very much to raise the game's mass appeal among the consumer base at large. I think what Namco and the franchise will get out of SCVI is that the series is back in full view of fighting game enthusiasts, and that could pay off when it comes time for SCVII in the next generation.

I do think that, looking back years from now, we might view this as the moment where they righted the ship and things started to go right for the series again. That's definitely possible. But what we don't have is a whole lot of evidence that the game is itself doing really good, sales wise. I think it is doing just as well as Namco needed it to, in order for the execs not to view the (low budget) production as a mistake. But I don't think its lifetime sales are going to exceed SCV by much at all, based on currently available evidence.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

SoulCalibur VI would not be getting a Season 2 if the game did the same or just a little better than SC5 in sales and units sold. Bandai Namco would have stopped supporting this game with new updates a while back if they saw they were getting the same sales as they wouldn't see it as worth their time, money, or even effort.

Did Namco actually pull the plug on SCV DLC development? I remember numbered packs that didn't get follow-ups.
I think everything points to yes. I can remember an interview where Daishi and/or Togo said they were seeing SC5 as the start of a new trilogy of SC games, so they definitely had plans to start developing a sequel straight afterwards. And there is finished DLC for SC5 which was never released (I can't remember how substantial it is, but the latest compatibility pack contains CAS pieces you can't access). I definitely get the impression Namco just suddenly halted all SC development midway 2012.

When SC6 released in October it's dollar sales were positioned behind SC2 and SC4.

Capture 2.PNG

considering we live in an age where fighting games can easily get updated with content changes it's quite possible that it may have passed SC4 in terms of overall sales. It's hard to say at this point unless we can get direct confirmation but it is highly likely that the sales right now will be at the top end between 1.38 - 2.3 million sales.

Capture.PNG

SC2 is at the top with it's combined sales sitting over 2.6 million. If SC6 makes it past three million sales it will become the most successful entry in the franchise.

Capture 3.PNG

Update on... science!

I'm just gonna go ahead and upscale as much as possible of the SC6 gallery and upload it (the total size of it will probably be a bit enormous).

I've run into a couple of extra problems. Almost all SC1 images have JPEG compression on them (Namco somehow did a better job archiving Soul Edge assets than SC1 assets), which doesn't combine well with AI upscaling, but I'll see if I can find a way to get around that. About 10% of the images have DDS compression on them, but there's a good AI model for removing that. The end result is blurrier than the images with zero compression, but they still look good enough. And finally, my GPU doesn't have enough RAM to actually upscale every image. So I might have to skip some.

I was surprised that some of the SC6 concept art images actually upscale really well:
sc6_ot_001_rlt.jpgsc6_ot_019_rlt.jpgsc6_ot_023_rlt.jpg

And the SC2 ending images look neat when upscaled:
sc2_ep_016_rlt_rlt.jpgsc2_ep_006_rlt_rlt.jpgsc2_ep_004_rlt_rlt.jpgsc2_ep_003_rlt_rlt.jpg

I think everything points to yes. I can remember an interview where Daishi and/or Togo said they were seeing SC5 as the start of a new trilogy of SC games, so they definitely had plans to start developing a sequel straight afterwards. And there is finished DLC for SC5 which was never released (I can't remember how substantial it is, but the latest compatibility pack contains CAS pieces you can't access). I definitely get the impression Namco just suddenly halted all SC development midway 2012.
And then came along Lost Swords...but that provided next to nothing for the franchise.

Last edited:
Update on... science!

I'm just gonna go ahead and upscale as much as possible of the SC6 gallery and upload it (the total size of it will probably be a bit enormous).

I've run into a couple of extra problems. Almost all SC1 images have JPEG compression on them (Namco somehow did a better job archiving Soul Edge assets than SC1 assets), which doesn't combine well with AI upscaling, but I'll see if I can find a way to get around that. About 10% of the images have DDS compression on them, but there's a good AI model for removing that. The end result is blurrier than the images with zero compression, but they still look good enough. And finally, my GPU doesn't have enough RAM to actually upscale every image. So I might have to skip some.

I was surprised that some of the SC6 concept art images actually upscale really well:
View attachment 66085View attachment 66086View attachment 66087

And the SC2 ending images look neat when upscaled:
View attachment 66091View attachment 66090View attachment 66089View attachment 66088

Do you think they'll release concept art for SC6? I really loved the New Legends of Project Soul book so I wonder if they'll do something similar with SC6.

Im really happy SC6 is doing well. It's such an amazing game that deserves much more attention and love from the public than it gets now.

When SC6 released in October it's dollar sales were positioned behind SC2 and SC4.

View attachment 66082

considering we live in an age where fighting games can easily get updated with content changes it's quite possible that it may have passed SC4 in terms of overall sales. It's hard to say at this point unless we can get direct confirmation but it is highly likely that the sales right now will be at the top end between 1.38 - 2.3 million sales.

View attachment 66083

SC2 is at the top with it's combined sales sitting over 2.6 million. If SC6 makes it past three million sales it will become the most successful entry in the franchise.

View attachment 66084
LOL, there is no way in hell that this game has sold anywhere close to 2.3 million copies or (all indications suggest they are much closer to half of that) that it has even the remotest, pie-in-the-sky possibility of clearing 3 million units. I'm sorry, but bluntly, this is just getting out of touch with reality...

It's outsold SCV, that much we know...
Correction: that much we suspect. Since there are no official sales figures and the margin for error in the projected figures of analysts is large, relative to any reasonable likely difference in the sales figures between the two games, we don't really know that with any high degree of certainty. Like you, I'd speculate that at the ten month mark, SCVI has outsold SCV at the ten month mark. But there's a difference between having a suspicion based on incomplete (if self-consistent) indications and actually "knowing" something.

And again, "outsold SCV" ≠ "great sales".

I mean SC6 still did good enough to still keep on getting support and we are getting a S2 pass. That is saying something that past games didn't get.
That's just the point. Multiple season passes/longterm continuing support is something that is relatively new to the genre. Not because it was technically infeasible--from a technical standpoint, it could have been done fourteen years ago at the beginning of the last generation of consoles--but rather because consumers were largely not onboard for it: it took a long time, in an era of increasing distrust between consumers and publishers (because of the shady practices of some companies on the one hand and an unreasonable sense of entitlement on the part of many consumers on the other) for this new method of distribution to get to this level of acceptance.

But now that they have finally made those inroads, companies like Namco are going to waste no time further normalizing the approach. They (and all of their competitors in the market) want their consumers to view multiple season passes as the new norm. It will not only allow them to break free of needing to make gamse under the kind of very limited budget that can be justified when you know you will only sell a million and half copies and can only charge $60 per copy at most (and realistically, much less for anything after the first four months), it also represents a better cost-benefit return on their content (a season pass costs about 1/30th as much to make as the core game and yet you can ask for up to 1/3rd of the core game's pricepoint for it.

In other words, SCVI doesn't need to have sold like gangbusters in order for it to make A LOT of sense for Namco to promote multiple season passes for it. In fact, the very reason that they can't make good money on these games through just the initial release any more is a big part of the reason why they want to do season passes in the first place! So I caution you all not to leap to conclusions that "another season pass means this game sold really well!" It's probably not as true as you want to believe (or indeed, as we'd all like to believe as hardcore fans, myself included) and could lead to unrealistic expectations about all sorts of things regarding what comes next for the series.

I just hope that if they decide to bring back more legacy SoulCalibur V outfits that we’ll get Pyrrha Omega’s boots this time, in the unrealistic expectation that any of the children outfits will return. But SoulCalibur V DLC cut short Viola’s 2p, Nightmare’s 1p/2p, Hilde’s 2p, Yoshimitsu’s 1p, Edge Master’s 1p, Mitsurugi’s 1p/2p, Raphael’s 1p, and Maxi’s 1p, at the very least, those were parts that were datamined. And some Asura arms and a couple other modern parts I believe.

All we know for sure is that this game is either approaching or has passed the 1 million copies sold mark. That's good enough for me.

The only thing is, would Bamco make a celebration of it? Pretty sure they have celebratory art for tekken 7 when it hit 1 million, 3 million etc.

1569209148428.png

I for one would love to see something like this for soul calibur

Back