Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I uploaded a collection of most of the artwork in the SC6 gallery upscaled with super duper fancy AI:

If anyone wants the ESRGAN AI model I created for this, that's available here: reddit link

To be honest, a also tried to upscale some of SC images, but i used "Topaz Gigapixel AI" on free trail
astSC1cg3-GP.jpgcerSC1cg3-GP.jpgivySC1cg3-GP.jpgJXW-QuTA4YA-GP.jpgkilSC1cg5-GP.jpgmitSC1cg4-GP.jpgmpMtxU13aVA-GP.jpgsigSC1cg3-GP.jpgSjN9PHFnt_s-GP.jpgsopSC1cg3-GP.jpgtakSC1cg3-GP.jpgyosSC1cg3-GP.jpgИнферно-GP.jpg1569337715163.png

Outstandin work!

Now, how about upscaling our beloved Soul Edge Intro? ^^°
Someone's actually already tried to do so:

I personally haven't been very impressed by the attempts to upscale video files. Anything with compression is really hard to deal with when using AI upscaling, and mix that in with the upscaling handling each frame independently you get a lot of "wobbly" animation happening.

I'm curious if people have made tools to specifically handle video files for AI upscaling. I would love to see a high-res version of the Soul Edge intro (or even better, a remake of it).

Someone's actually already tried to do so:

I personally haven't been very impressed by the attempts to upscale video files. Anything with compression is really hard to deal with when using AI upscaling, and mix that in with the upscaling handling each frame independently you get a lot of "wobbly" animation happening.

I'm curious if people have made tools to specifically handle video files for AI upscaling. I would love to see a high-res version of the Soul Edge intro (or even better, a remake of it).
Someone already made a 4K rescale for the Tekken 5 intro.

Hey, didnt know where else to ask this but for those that have SC on pc, is it mod friendly? I wanna get it on pc and learn how to make my own mods cuz I have a couple ideas.

Random funny-but-not-actually-funny fact: all of the SC1 images in the SC6 gallery are taken straight from the SC1 Dreamcast disc. You can tell because the jpeg compression is the same. Doesn't sound like they archived much from that game's development.
That's not at all surprising, given the age of the game: very, very few games at that point in time benefited from any substantial amount of archiving of assets. Just as a barometer for how much this was not on the mind of developers at the time, Square Enix was slow to tap the market for a Final Fantasy VIII remake because, when the possibility of a remaster was first considered, they discovered that they had no archives of the lion's share of the game's assets. And that's a game that came out almost a year after SCI and was created by one of the largest and best-organized developer's of its day. Based on comments from various seasoned veterans of the industry, I think it's safe to say that most games produced for the fifth and sixth generation of consoles did not preserve any substantial portion of their non-compiled assets. In fact, there's probably a non-trivial number of companies that do not substantially archive development content to this day.

Last edited:
Back