Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Wow, didn't expect this at all. While I'm happy for her fans, really not digging her design, tho. When she turns her back on you, all you see is that big ass royal coat with that big ass royal collar...very unnecessary.

Watching the english trailer, I was really let down by her voice. Was it that girly in earlier games? However, I'm consoled by her Japanese voice, which is the only one I'll her in-game, as it fits her more serious persona much better.

It's says something about Hilde that a fanservice upgrade for her is just switching her helmet for a tiara and having plate armor with breasts. Overall her design's pretty good, the fur-trimmed surcoat and tiara making something new and striking a balance between her main and alt outfits that represented her warrior and regal sides respectively.

She was always my queen and glad to see her back; I figured she'd return and looking back that wasn't hard to guess, what with Wolfkrone being mentioned in the Soul Chronicle and in Libra of Soul. My guess is her Chronicle will be her childhood as for most of the game she's just a kid.

Getting a little obvious with the Die Walkure references

No, resurrected was just a translation error.
Nah, I checked the original source material myself and he used the word "fukkatsu" which means literally means resurrection. They used that word in anime titles like Fukkatsu no Lelouch for Lelouch of the Resurrection and Fukkatsu no 'F' for Resurrection 'F'. It was in Kanji too so there's no mistaking it meant what it meant.

I think the pattern they will go with for season two is:
-Female (Hilde)
-Male (Hoahmaru)
-Female (Setsuka)
-Male (Hwang)

It's probably the selfishness in me again, but wouldn't that make sense?
It does, but if any part of you believes that the colors still matter, why would Hwang be grey at all? He's very much blue/green/purple/yellow, much color.

The defeatist part of me makes me possibly believe that grey might could even be Edge Master...

Nah, I checked the original source material myself and he used the word "fukkatsu" which means literally means resurrection. They used that word in anime titles like Fukkatsu no Lelouch for Lelouch of the Resurrection and Fukkatsu no 'F' for Resurrection 'F'. It was in Kanji too so there's no mistaking it meant what it meant.
The word "fukkatsu" doesn't always mean resurrection in the literal sense, though. That's why nuance and context are important in translation. It can also be used for something like clothing coming back into style or a musical or movie getting a second run. "Comeback", "revival", etc. are all valid translations.

The word "fukkatsu" doesn't always mean resurrection in the literal sense, though. That's why nuance and context are important in translation. It can also be used for something like clothing coming back into style or a musical or movie getting a second run. "Comeback", "revival", etc. are all valid translations.
Oh yeah, I knew that too since I pointed this out before. It's buried somewhere in this thread of me explaining it. I was just explaining that it wasn't a mistranslation since the context was about why I thought that Hwang was going to be the character revealed. "Comeback", "Revival", "Second Run", the meaning of a character that would receive this "resurrection" pretty much screamed Hwang.

But basically, this goes back to an interview where Okubo mentions that the first DLC character for Season 2 would receive a "resurrection" and that the word "fukkatsu" was used. And that's why I had to point out that it wasn't a mistranslation and that the interview meant what it meant when translated, a "comeback".

It does, but if any part of you believes that the colors still matter, why would Hwang be grey at all? He's very much blue/green/purple/yellow, much color.

The defeatist part of me makes me possibly believe that grey might could even be Edge Master...
I don't want to give you the 'H' word since it only brings disappointment but if it makes you feel better, the grey slot actually looks like it has a blue-ish tint giving it a steel blue color while the third slot now looks like a tint of salmon pink when I rewatched the end of the Hilde trailer. Hwang's outfit in his Libra of Souls portrait also matches up to the color of the fourth slot.

I wouldn't put any meaning to this though if I were you. For all we know, we'll be getting a time travelling pink-boi Z.W.E.I. in the game and the gray slot is actually Alpha Patroklos also travelling back in time and replacing Setsuka. Cassandra's Soul Chronicle pretty much confirmed that time travelling exists lol.

I wonder if they choose to start with Hilde because to play the unexpected thing with community (that literally all though of Hwang being first)

Tho her armor has some gold on it, so maybe that's the reference?

In any case Hilde was the most legit veteran character to come back aside Setsuka and Yun/Hwang, also love the Wolves crying in the background.

I don't want to give you the 'H' word since it only brings disappointment but if it makes you feel better, the grey slot actually looks like it has a blue-ish tint giving it a steel blue color while the third slot now looks like a tint of salmon pink when I rewatched the end of the Hilde trailer. Hwang's outfit in his Libra of Souls portrait also matches up to the color of the fourth slot.
Hmm, this could be a white dress/blue dress colour discernment kind of situation, but if I see any blue in that, its just a very minimal amount of saturation in the background. But even so, I can't say I think you're wrong. Now, that spot could be Lizardman/Aeon, but are they really going to add a third sword and shield athenian before they add even one of the classic dao movesets. I mean...surely they can't be blind to how that would stick in the craw of a not-tiny portion of veteran players? After a complete snub of that portion of the fan/consumer base in SCV and nothing in the base build of this game or the first season? I mean, surely as fans of the series themselves, they realize how weird it is that neither he nor Yun-seong are in yet? So grey/white/blue/whatever, that spot has to be Hwang. Surely?

One thing I can say for certain is that I am so tired of drawn out reveals. Just tell us the season line up near the beginning of PR for the product, once the content is certain. There will be plenty for us to think anticipate and speculate about even once we know that. In fact, it will lead to more detailed and more enjoyed conversations if we aren't speculating about the absolute basic question of who it could be until not long before the release. They could still make periodic announcements about stuff, which would dash or confirm fan speculation and hopes for what the character will ultimately look like, but it would be more engaging and frankly, less obnoxious to be in the dark about what to even expect/discuss in terms of moves, mechanics and balance, because we haven't a clue who to even anticipate.

At this point, I think we can safely say this is a knowing, intentional stragegy on the part of PS/Namco PR, but I think it's a bad one. I think they're just in love with those reveal trailers of theirs and just don't want to change course on what they've done up until now in keeping the identities secret until the moment you hear the announcer say "HWANG!" (just as an example Kappa ) as that same old earworm epic fight music begins to trumpet. But the more I live with the massive months-long dead zones in messaging/info, the more I just wish they would tell us who is coming at the start of the season, whether they have trailers for the characters done or not. Either that or make sure you aren't totally telegraphing other characters for most long-time fans. There are moments lately I swear we are being trolled.

Really hope the coat and armor are separate pieces.
From the look of it, it could be separate. There is also a possibility that it is an undergarment, based on its detail. Also a possibility that it'll be an undergarment with a low break that tears the coat. For the mid I also reckon the gloves are breakable. The breast plate might be an undergarment with the coat being the "shirt" layer item though.

My theory is that the pants are one set, with a breakable function that makes them look similar to nighty or siegs stuff.

Tiara is obviously the high break.

Edit: If someone has the Japanese bandai namco page it might be on there.

Hmm, this could be a white dress/blue dress colour discernment kind of situation, but if I see any blue in that, its just a very minimal amount of saturation in the background.
I'm definitely not counting out the blue dress white dress effect. I see the dress as white even though the correct answer is actually blue. I could be seeing colors differently but I can definitely see some difference in color when comparing the Season Pass 2 trailer and the Hilde trailer. The Hilde trailer is sharper and it's where I can see very slight blueish tints.

Also, I think Bandai Namco could really learn from SNK on how to handle Season Passes. The way SNK handled the Season Pass reveals for Samurai Shodown was simply amazing if not miraculous. They even added more characters to their already announced Season Pass while also releasing the characters earlier than previously announced.

I could be wrong, but at times it really does seem like SoulCalibur VI is the only fighting game that is keeping its season pass content so hush-hush. Not even just Namco fighters, I mean every fighter out there, they tell you who you're getting ahead of time, with or without footage. It's tedious and unnecessary, and I really don't understand why it's a thing, aside from just being a continuing of tradition of the reveals prerelease and up until this point, but surely if they have eyes on us and other social zones, they should be noting how much we suffer between reveals, and surely... they can't think we enjoy that, right? I feel like they could stand to give us names, to prevent the rise and fall of hype so much. We basically figured it out anyway, or... we thought we did, but we were wrong, but if we didn't have to guess in the first place, there'd be no disappointment, or very little, and very much more hype, I'd say.

Back