Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I get the impression you haven't watched the video
Well, I'll be honest, I watched only about 60% of, jumping around a bit, because I wasn't super impressed with the organization of his presentation and most of the factual tidbits he was dropping were not new details to me. I do agree that it's a fascinating field of inquiry however.

because your response here really doesn't reflect the context of when I speak of sexualized armor, if you did you would know that real world European armour we are all accustomed to today is actually sexualized and if there were just as many women in the art of war as there were men then we would have more female pieces of armour in line with the codpiece.
Ahhh, but a codpiece is not armour. It's an ornamental garment that was worn on conventional clothing. The armour equivalent did exist, but I am aware of only a couple of examples from history, involving ornamental armour. But that of course segways into your next point.

Don't get the impression that I'm saying a lot of armor made back then was form over function, I'm saying that many super rich hierarchy wars were won with fully functioning armour with sexual designs at banquets not battle fields. Keep in mind that we're plebs where this mindset of superiority through iconography is largely alien to us so this point of history is bound to get overlooked by the majority of people especially considering how long ago events like that happened.
Ah, ok, I understand what you're saying now: yes, I did in fact take your argument to be different from what it actually was. You're saying that such armour served a symbolic purpose as a means of ostentatious display during interactions of the elite. Well, that may very well have been so on occasion, and you might even argue that Hilde is as high up in the social hierarchy as any character in the franchise, and thus if anyone was going to have such flamboyant armour, it would be her. But at the end of the day, we don't see her fighting through displays of grandeur at a banquet or at court: we see her fighting in that armour as a warrior, so I think its reasonable for people to feel like that feature of the armour is not super practical.

Still, your argument does go some way to explaining why (in any alternate reality with more female warriors, wherein Hilde is royalty) she might have such a gaudy thing. I'll admit, there's some meat to that argument, when we pair it with Soulcalibur's typically over-the-top design. Still, Hilde was the one character in the entire female roster who wasn't scantily clad, or covered in lace, or had an insane bust struggling to escape some flimsy thing; it really begins to feel tedious and puerile that SCVI character designers have chosen to hyper-accentuate the breasts of literally every adult female character in the game. Literally every other female character's breasts grew since their last apperance, while the percentage of that bust covered by their clothing shrunk, and now the one character who was wearing armour too thick to show off her bustline in her default outfit...they just stuck the breasts on the outside! I mean, I like a nice pair of breasts as much as the next man, I assure you, but at some point it just gets silly.

Last edited:
Hilde: Creations parts:sc4hil1:
View attachment 67750
View attachment 67751
  1. Glänzende Nova & Frischer Himmel
  2. Corsesca & Broadsword
  3. Lance & Ring Dagger
  4. Eisonowaki & Kandachi (from SC IV)
  5. New Weapon (丈八蛇矛)
  6. Scorpion
  7. New Weapon (ゲイ・ジャルグ&モラルタ)
Link

Thank god the robe and armor are separate. And I like how it seems both mid and low parts have different broken parts, unlike other characters.

View attachment 67750
View attachment 67751
  2. Corsesca & Broadsword
  3. Lance & Ring Dagger
  5. New Weapon (丈八蛇矛)
  6. Scorpion
Link
I'm still thrown off by Hilde being all golden now but it's something I probably just need to get used to. Hopefully one of her colors will see her going back to silver. Color aside, the silhouette is still amazing and are great creation parts.

I'm still thrown off by Hilde being all golden now but it's something I probably just need to get used to. Hopefully one of her colors will see her going back to silver. Color aside, the silhouette is still amazing and are great creation parts.
I reckon colours are going to be:
Gold and Red 1p
Silver and blue, black parts white 2p
Bronze and green 3p
Black and pink/purple 4p

All that armour tall made me think that whatever happened it's great we didn't get anything like "this"

Attachments

• 960x0.jpg
    960x0.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 145
I friggin KNEW she's going to be in, friggin KNEW IT.
But I suspected she was numero tres, could have sworn we'd get Hwang/Yun first.
Still, I couldn't be happier about having the kissiest lips in SC back on the field.

I don't really mind the design, tbh, it's the oldest of tropes that royalty and the like in fantasy wear ornamental gear to battle, but I'm surprised how, uh, mature she looks considering how young she's supposed to be, UNLESS we get a huge time skip in the story portion of the game, I mean, that could happen. And I love the coat, love it, love it to bits. Now give me the princess dress from SC4.

View attachment 67750
View attachment 67751
  2. Corsesca & Broadsword
  3. Lance & Ring Dagger
  5. New Weapon (丈八蛇矛)
  6. Scorpion
Link
#5 is the 1.8 Zhang Serpent Spear, the weapon of Zhang Fei from the Three Kingdoms Era of China. #7 is the Gae Derg and Moralltach, the crimson spear and sword of Diarmud Ua Duibhne which he would only use in matters of life and death.

Also, the website updating with Hilde reveals some new info about her. Like how her mother and older brother died of illness and that as a child she'd run away from her studies to be among the commonfolk. The flowers in her artwork are the Lily of the Valley. They're alternatively called Mary's Tears, as in the Virgin Mary and frequently in Christian art.

Last edited:
There are tons and tons of historical armor with prominent aesthetical elements serving no practical purpose whatsoever from every cormer of the world to see, frankly I think it will be harder do find a historical armor that is 100% practical than an armor with some sort of decoration to it, big or small.
Also I find it hysterical how everyone is arguing about a boob cuirass that might be a very slightly less practical design (yet still better than 99% of other medieval armor sets just for the virtue of being full plate and not some peasant gambeson with no metal to it) while completely ignoring real obvious giant practical problems with Hilde's new outfit, such as NO HELMET (which is the most important part of any armor set, basically if you are a medieval peasant and only have enough money to buy one armor piece before going into battle, you definitely buy a helmed to protect your head that is the most vital and vulnerable part of your body) and HIGH HEELS built into sabatons (try running in those things with any kind of efficiency).

The priorities expressed by the complainers here to me scream it's all about the usual sex appeal squabbles and not at all about being genuinely interested in any kind of armor logic and practicality or alternative history.

Last edited:
What if all the new stages are f r e e
I expect all new stage variations and the promised new SC stage to be free indeed with the only exception being Haohmaru's stage which will be bundled with the character the same as 2B's stage.

What it really comes down to is that, throughout the centuries men have expressed their sexuality through their armor, but women, now able to be represented as warriors are not allowed to express their sexuality through their armor the same as men, ironically because of the deluded idea that equal means androgyny.

A woman can both be a warrior and express their feminine sexuality. They are not required to look as men, nor are they required to give up the same right men have to express their sexuality through their armor.

That said, few people could afford such embellished armor, but that's a cost and wealth thing, not a choice thing. It's hand me downs, and budget clothing, potato sack outfits vs. fine embroidered silks. So yes most people would, male or female have generic crap armor, but those who could afford the finery, they damn well did or would, as wearing and having such finery is a sign of power, prestige and privilege.

Hilde's outfit is probably one of the most authentic things about her if women nobles or royalty wearing armor specifically designed for them was more common, and if modern aesthetics was a thing back then.

Men have been allowed to express their sexuality through armor for centuries, if one really wants to stand up for women's rights and equality, then the right way to do that is to allow women to choose to express their sexuality in the same way afforded to men throughout all these centuries, not to deny them the ability to do. There is nothing wrong with women, the female form, or the expression of it through various means.

Again, the boob plate has negligible effect on the survivability of the person wearing it. Enough to be basically zero effect.

Loving Hilde's new princess-warrior look. Fun fact (if it hasn't already been posted) - They have now assigned her with a city of birth within the Wolfkrone Kingdom, along with all the usual bio detail - "Stolzstadt, Kingdom of Wolfkrone" - it literally means Proud City in German. They also list her previously unmentioned mother (the Queen; Dietlinde) and brother (the prince, presumably younger than her; Alfred). Nice new detail!

Last edited:
Back