Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

How would you approach learning other character moves and frame data. Because there's a lot of moves in this game and it's kinda intimidating when trying to learn everything.
Honestly, it doesn't hurt to have an eye towards frame data from the start, but I'm not sure that trying to memorize everything from the start is likely to be helpful as opposed to just overwhelming. Drilling, via training and (ideally) couch play with friends is probably the best first order of business: once you have established a bit of a "feel" for your mains, can reliably execute the majority of their moves and are at least familiar with the span of their combos, natural and otherwise, then its probably time to get a firm grasp on the exact frames involved: frames are useful to know in any event, but its really when you begin to study your match-ups that they become most vital. Before then (while again, it doesn't hurt to look at the frame data) my advice is don't get so hung up on the numbers that you bypass falling in love with the flow of the game independent of the number crunching.

I don't know, maybe that's an artificial distinction I'm creating: it's been nearly 25 years since I was new to the franchise, so while I'm trying to put myself in a place where I'm picking things up with SCVI and trying to figure out which factors and mechanics to engage with first, for an efficient learning curve, it's difficult. But I do feel that you have to learn to walk before you can run, and frame data is arguably part of the running end of the spectrum (or at least getting up to a jog). As for resources to actually engage with the frame data whenever you do want to reference it, you can't really do any better than 8WR's own archive (here is a handy index that will save you some time in navigating between pages through the normal wiki top page). Others have already pointed you to useful subforums here as well, though I think their activity varies considerably from month to month these days; you'll want to familiarize yourself with this terminology list and this inputs key to help you track/decode discussions in those threads and in other discussion spaces for the hardcore community.

There's a wealth of tutorial videos on YouTube and Twitch as well: I can't really recommend anyone in particular, because I don't really use them as resources too frequently myself, but anytime I do go looking for particular content in that area, it's clear that these days there's no shortage of people talking about the mechanics on those platforms. Perhaps just as useful (and somewhat more relaxing at times!) is watching high level tournament play--particularly recent tourneys so you are observing the same meta (that is, a particular build of the game at a particular moment in time) as you are yourself working with at that time: presently, this thread is the best place to find links to tourneys on these forums, although the site's front page will give notice of the tournament itself further in advance. Unfortunately, as esports scenes go, we don't have very much in the way of really good casters, so I personally find some the tourneys difficult to watch with the sound on, but your mileage may vary, and you'll at least get some decent insight/commentary about what's going on in a match (and about strategy generally) through the livestreams and their recordings.

More than anything though, practice, practice, practice. And that sometimes means not getting too clinical all the the time and burning yourself out because you're just not enjoying yourself. In this regard, your buddies are your best asset: because they are at roughly comparable level to you, they will allow you to experiment and enjoy learning things at a pleasant pace, without it always feeling that you are behind the curve. Eventually you'll have to look for play that challenges you more (if your friends don't also continue to play and rise at a substantially similar level of skill) but to begin with, just enjoy the game as a game, social context included: there really has never been a better series of couch party games than Soulcalibur.

Last edited:
The regalia arts or whatever it's called is completely unneeded. Hilde already has her schtick with the whole charging mechanic. Literally no one else has that. Why the flying fuck would they still add another layer with an awful animation to her that further lock behind certain moves? That makes absolutely no sense. I'm pissed. FUCK!

I can't wait till i see setsuka revealed with her "SnOw SAKurA" form that makes her umbrella grow pinkish blue with the effect of locking certain moves and making all her JFs into normal moves as well as a "CheRrY BlOsSOm" CoUnT MeChAnIC that can make certain moves have extended strings when they they stack. Oh and not to mention a "My BrEaST!" mechanic that giver her an auto gi get-off-me tool when her health is yellow. FUCK YES!!!!!!!...................

And Lastly, a CE where she slashes her opponent twice and stabs him with her closed umbrella only to open it resulting in a tornado cannon that blows away the opponet to the cliff of the stage. If in SnOw SAKurA frOm & with a Stack of 5 CheRry BlOsSoms & My BrEaST state, this will guarantee ring out even in a ringoutless stage. FUCK YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!

source.gif

If SC will have a World tour next year (which hopefully it will) then i think Bamco may release characters in SC6 S2 earlier during the year the same way they do with Tekken 7, it means all the the last S2 character could be release on March or April at latest.

The regalia arts or whatever it's called is completely unneeded. Hilde already has her schtick with the whole charging mechanic. Literally no one else has that. Why the flying fuck would they still add another layer with an awful animation to her that further lock behind certain moves? That makes absolutely no sense. I'm pissed. FUCK!

I can't wait till i see setsuka revealed with her "SnOw SAKurA" form that makes her umbrella grow pinkish blue with the effect of locking certain moves and making all her JFs into normal moves as well as a "CheRrY BlOsSOm" CoUnT MeChAnIC that can make certain moves have extended strings when they they stack. Oh and not to mention a "My BrEaST!" mechanic that giver her an auto gi get-off-me tool when her health is yellow. FUCK YES!!!!!!!...................

And Lastly, a CE where she slashes her opponent twice and stabs him with her closed umbrella only to open it resulting in a tornado cannon that blows away the opponet to the cliff of the stage. If in SnOw SAKurA frOm & with a Stack of 5 CheRry BlOsSoms & My BrEaST state, this will guarantee ring out even in a ringoutless stage. FUCK YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Tbh that sounds plausible ugh...
I'm a humble man of simple pleasures and that's why I stick to Geralt

I really hate this new buffer system as I'm starting to notice it more and more when I'm labbing. Seriously what the hell did the developers do to screw it up this bad.

Could someone explain why this change is so bad, is it character specific bad or generally bad?
As a Sophie player my double TAS, B after a 66B stupidly consistent now and while I do find poking a little bit slower its nothing that hinders me online.
I don’t know about offline though haven’t played season 2 with friends yet.

And jumping the gun... is it bad to want Viola and Zwei for a possible season 3?

Could someone explain why this change is so bad, is it character specific bad or generally bad?
As a Sophie player my double TAS, B after a 66B stupidly consistent now and while I do find poking a little bit slower its nothing that hinders me online.

And jumping the gun... is it bad to want Viola and Zwei for a possible season 3?
Not at all! I'm hoping to see them.

It’s been an issue since launch, S2 has just extended the problem. The directional inputs in particular are affected by it a lot after trying to step after trying to step after guarding. In other words, random jumps, crouches, and guard impacts.

I personally think my issue comes from either of these but I primarily think it's the latter. As a Yoshi player one of my BnB setup combos is to run foward and then quickly crouch to do his hellsweep then his 3B for a combo. I use to be able to run up with this combo to the point the crouch was unseeable, now you can see it a mile off not only making it less effective but has made Yoshi painfully restrictive. It also doesn't help that from his hell sweep to get his 3B as a natural combo you have to move cancel to do it. The delay isn't as severe as running into a hell sweep but it is noticeable and lowers my chances of successfully landing this combo because I have to delay the move cancel just to make sure the buffer registers it.

Buffer Changes.png

So, for anyone who was curious, the new infinite stages aren't really infinite. If you run straight for around two minutes, your position gets reset. I tried this on both Grand Labyrinth and Faraway Meadow. Presumably this is to stop you from reaching the end of the stage, because I've checked at about the point before it kicks you out, too, and you can't see the edge just yet, but I imagine if they let you keep going, there likely would be an edge, hence them resetting your position like they do.

Has anyone successfully modded hidden stages to be available in Online modes? What were the results?

I remember something about 2B's stage not being on rank due to fps issues or something. I have been thinking why PS has been so restricted in releasing finished stages and have been worrying that there might be technical limitations that keep them from adding said stages.

Does anyone have background knowledge on this?

Yeah, even if you mod the stage and your compadre doesn't have it, if you pick it, the stage works 100% fine. I'm GUESSING they haven't finished the grassland stage due to animal textures? Who knows though.

By the way, I really have to apploud their work on the new stage with the wolves, me and my bro have been getting the least ammount of lag on that stage by quite a large margin, even though it's so, well, active. We were afraid it's going to be another 2B stage, but no. Job well done.

I have done science with infinity stages and the results are SCANDALOUS! The truth is... they're all finite!

If you move far enough in an infinite stage in SC5, your position gets reset to the start, like this:

It's the same thing in SC6, if you move too far you get reset (it also resets health and round wins, which seems like a small bug):

And you know what? The same happens in Tekken 7! I didn't bother to test it properly in that game (movement is so low it would take ages), but I found this post from 2 years ago: reddit post

If people want some info on how these stages work, I took some screenshots.

In SC6, it's pretty straightforward. The entire map is a flat plane with some details like foliage, and the animals which dynamically spawn and despawn. Here's how it looks with the camera moved far out: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...50099382112485386/544750_20191128221807_1.png

That one picture doesn't show the entire stage, as parts of the map seem to be streamed as you travel through it. So as you move forward, it will unload earlier parts of the map and load in other parts of the map.

Moving the camera out in Tekken 7 has a more funky look: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...50116043414569010/389730_20191128214211_1.png

There are 2 elements here. The ground (which I think works the same way as in SC6: a giant plane which is streamed as you travel through the stage) and the horizon/background. The player always maintains the same distance to the background but it rotates as you move to simulate movement. The ground plane works as you would expect and it moves normally. If you pay close attention, you can see where the game crossfades between the ground plane and the background. This is the same trick as done in other Namco fighting games like Tekken 5 and SC5.

Back