Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

he does the RE then he does the B THEN he enters the stance
the way he's doing in the bug he transitions instantly from RE to the stance
You're right, my bad. This is how you get into stance from RE

AG.png

prep.png

The transition from AG to Prep happens as quickly as you can input it. If you pressed forward on frame 1 of Arriere Gambit's back step, you'd go to Prep immediately. In this case cause he's back turned after Taki walks around the 2nd 4B+G is actually a 6B+G. So 6B+G during AG is Prep RE. Basically performed instant prep by dumb luck. It's all technically working correctly though. Instant Prep is something they've balanced his combo damage around, and RE will always reorient anyone back to facing their opponent.

So how can you deal with it? I suppose with your current plan of attack you could continue your walk slightly longer cause he can't delay the prep version of RE, and it's pretty linear if it hasn't absorbed any hits.

You're right, my bad. This is how you get into stance from RE

View attachment 70924
View attachment 70925

The transition from AG to Prep happens as quickly as you can input it. If you pressed forward on frame 1 of Arriere Gambit's back step, you'd go to Prep immediately. In this case cause he's back turned after Taki walks around the 2nd 4B+G is actually a 6B+G. So 6B+G during AG is Prep RE. Basically performed instant prep by dumb luck. It's all technically working correctly though. Instant Prep is something they've balanced his combo damage around, and RE will always reorient anyone back to facing their opponent.

So how can you deal with it? I suppose with your current plan of attack you could continue your walk slightly longer cause he can't delay the prep version of RE, and it's pretty linear if it hasn't absorbed any hits.
you have no idea how abusive this is

the RE has tracking so i can't just step and punish i have to wait till he releases the RE
then you have to deal with the reset will he reset it or not? if he resets and you did a fast attack that doesn't GB you'll get screwed, if he reset and you do a GB he gets screwed if he doesn't reset and you do a GB he'll block normally and unpunished

just look at this
its VERY abusive and hard to deal with specially online

He used to be able to actually cancel his B+G before the impact frame AND his prep B+G was the same as neutral B+G so you could keep looping it. If you learned how to deal with that, then the stuff in your video isn't that crazy.

You want a perfect option select ? Go for a punish that is RE safe.

the RE has tracking so i can't just step and punish i have to wait till he releases the RE
then you have to deal with the reset will he reset it or not? if he resets and you did a fast attack that doesn't GB you'll get screwed, if he reset and you do a GB he gets screwed if he doesn't reset and you do a GB he'll block normally and unpunished

just look at this
its VERY abusive and hard to deal with specially online

It would only be hard to deal with if the match is very laggy. Raphael's RE can only shift into stance when he's not already in Preparation, his Prep RE (different animation) gives you more than enough time to sidestep and punish and Raphael can't do anything about that. In the video you posted, you made the mistake of punishing with 22A which doesn't stun on normal hit even though you punished with the stronger 22B beforehand. Then you attempted to sidestep and punish with 22B again after your WR K got parried, but you simply weren't fast enough. You should blame yourself for those mistakes rather than the character because his RE isn't bugged or overpowered currently. His RE tracks, but sidestepping for as long as necessary and immediately punishing when he strikes is the way to beat it. If you're not sure you will hit him, you can use moves that are safe against RE like WuHT said. Also, if your opponent is that predictable, you can easily lethal hit them with A+B. Go to Training mode and learn the match-up, then adapt and react accordingly.

Last edited:
It would only be hard to deal with if the match is very laggy. Raphael's RE can only shift into stance when he's not already in Preparation, his Prep RE (different animation) gives you more than enough time to sidestep and punish and Raphael can't do anything about that. In the video you posted, you made the mistake of punishing with 22A which doesn't stun on normal hit even though you punished with the stronger 22B beforehand. Then you attempted to sidestep and punish with 22B again after your WR K got parried, but you simply weren't fast enough. You should blame yourself for those mistakes rather than the character because his RE isn't bugged or overpowered currently. His RE tracks, but sidestepping for as long as necessary and immediately punishing when he strikes is the way to beat it. If you're not sure you will hit him, you can use moves that are safe against RE like WuHT said. Also, if your opponent is that predictable, you can easily lethal hit them with A+B. Go to Training mode and learn the match-up, then adapt and react accordingly.
the problem is exactly that

lag fucks up the punish timing a lot

"his Prep RE (different animation) gives you more than enough time to sidestep and punish "
no that is not possible if you are going to step and punish his first RE... if you miss the timing because of the lag you're fucked because you'll just hit his second RE with no chance of stepping again

"sidestepping for as long as necessary and immediately punishing when he strikes is the way to beat it"
that doesn't sound balanced since namco themselves patched a LOT of problems that happened due to online lag

i sent it on their survey to fix, hopefully they'll patch it

"his Prep RE (different animation) gives you more than enough time to sidestep and punish "
no that is not possible if you are going to step and punish his first RE... if you miss the timing because of the lag you're fucked because you'll just hit his second RE with no chance of stepping again

"sidestepping for as long as necessary and immediately punishing when he strikes is the way to beat it"
that doesn't sound balanced since namco themselves patched a LOT of problems that happened due to online lag

Fixing and patching things because of online play, is the wrong way to go about it and this has been proven in many fighting games in the past.

If it is an issue OFFLINE then yes. Otherwise no.

Yes, lag itself is the problem. Moves should never be balanced around online play because not all matches are laggy and offline players will always suffer from it. If you run into a player who has a terrible connection, just don't rematch and move on. The fight is meaningless if you can't play properly. Unless your inputs are delayed by whole seconds, it is indeed possible to punish before he can RE again in Preparation and you're not fucked if you use a move that is safe against RE. You can easily sidestep/guard/Resist Impact the RE strike.

You know what's the best way to fix the problem? Improving the netcode so that the game doesn't match you with people below your search criteria and showing a box that displays the region and connection status of every opponent, including a wired/wireless indicator and asking if you want to play that opponent instead of getting matched automatically. That's what you should've sent them instead of demanding a nerf for a move that isn't even too strong just because you can't adapt or move on from laggy, meaningless matches. That's scrub-like behaviour and I hope the developers won't listen to you.

Your problem isn’t Raph’s RE. It’s lag. To nerf a move because of an issue with the game’s netcode isn’t a very reasonable solution, and it makes the attack significantly worse for Raphael offline. Instead like Apoc said, just ask them to fix the netcode instead of asking for an unnecessary nerf to a move that doesn’t need it.

Another thing is that many people play wifi, like much more people use Wifi than people using Lan. Playing MK11 online really showed it (the game tells you if the oppenent uses Wifi or Lan)

I know someone not too far from my home, he plays wifi, everytime i see him:

We talk about some stuffs, then:
Me: "So, btw you still playing online wifi"
Him: "Yes as always, of course"
Me: "dude you really need to go lan, just try it you've nothing to lose, it's much better, i testes both i know what i'm talking about"
Him: "Really? Yeah but Wifi is working already for me, why would i bother"
Me: "Eww whatever man, do what you want, at least i can't say i haven't told you..."

Last edited:
This is misery. Yun-Seong will be a September release at earliest. I will be deep into another session of school by then...... Why can't they ever have good summer release content? Setsuka doesn't count because she is a character only meant for high level skill!

• Final Round (Mar 20-22, 2020):sc2mit3:
  • The Mixup (Apr 18-19, 2020)
  • Combo Breaker (May 22-24, 2020) DLC: Pink
  • BAM12 (May 29-31, 2020)
  • CEO (Jun 26-28, 2020)
  • EVO 2020 (Jul 31 – Aug 1-2) DLC: Gray
  • VS Fighting X (Agu 21-23, 2020)
  • Rev Major
  • Finals :5:Season Three :5:

Combo Breaker (May 22-24, 2020) DLC: Pink
I can't wait for this moment and I hope that there we finally have the reveal of the DLC pink color and Setsuka will be behind of this color!

Back