Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I usually hate guest chars. 2B, Geralt and co can suck one. Haohmaru is cool though, his fighting game is a weapon based fighting game. If they have another guest character, my vote would be Raiden or Noctis. I know they'll never do that though.
They could also release literally anyone from Bushido Blade and I'd be happy.
I doubt Raiden is likely to ever be licensed out by a company owned by Warner Bros.; as far as I can tell, they like to be the ones doing the licensing. Are there Mortal Kombat cross-overs that I'm forgetting, other than the ones NetherRealm or another WB Games studio developed?

Noctis is also unlikely, having already been tapped for Tekken--if he was going to be licensed again (which we can't be certain Square-Enix would even agree to) they would have done it in the base game, as is evidenced by the fact that Azwel, a knock-off Noctis (Knockoftis?) exists: he is pretty clearly the expression of a frustration that Okubo and co. must have had that the Noctis license was negotiated for Tekken when the character so obviously would have fit better as a thematic and gameplay matter, in Soulcalibur. Not that I blame Namco personally; time was of the essence to make that cross-promotion viable and better Tekken than nothing. The thing is, that same time constraint might mean we win out big here. Because I suspect that if Square were going to be tapped for yet another character, we might well end up with a FFVII remake character. I think it would make for beautiful symmetry if that were Tifa; afterall, Tekken got the FF character who most obviously fits in Soulcalibur, so why not invert the formula here? I also just really want a brawler style in the game. Well, it's a fantasy, but a marginally realistic one, I think.

Now Bushido Blade is an awesome game, don't get me wrong: the fact that it didn't survive into further iterations is one of the great misfortunes in the history of this genre of game. But let's be realistic: the second and last Bushido game was released more than 22 years ago; this is not a property that is on Namco's radar for a cross-promotion. I also kind of would not want to see that, and hear me out as to why. Around 1997, there were two popular armed 3D fighter sims, which adopted radically different approaches to the question of how to represent armed combat. One, borrowing from the traditional fighter mold (and a common game mechanic) went with a "hit point" model, where singular blows were not necesarily lethal or even typically debilitating; until your life was whittled down, you were as spry and deadly as at the beginning of the round. This is of course our community's raison d'etre, Soulcalibur, long may its continuing support markets persist.

But Bushido Blade took an entirely different stab at the question of what happens when you, uh, stab something. :) In Bushido Blade, most fights end in a second with the very first strike of the match, and even non-lethal blows are likely to leave limbs maimed and disabled. It's by far the more realistic system--I mean, we are all pretty clearly desensitized to the silliness of someone being stabed six to eight times through the head and torso with a two-foot-wide blade, be thrown off a cliff and then be standing eagerly for the next round, but even for somebody who has been playing these games for close to 25 years, sometimes the cognitive dissonance brakes through.

I can't imagine ever not having continued playing Soulcalibur, even if Bushdio Blade hadn't faded into obscurity almost immediately after the second game. But for my money, Bushido Blade is just a more interesting study on realistically rendering actual classical armed combat. And, bringing this long-winded diatribe around back on course, I feel like it would be almost distasteful to put a Bushido Blade character into an entry in a series that represents the mass-appeal/expected approach that beat it into non-existence! Unless of course they designed it such that said guest character kills with the first blow to the head or torso, but also similarly dies to all similar blows, hahah--that I would really pay for! :,)

I'm 100% agree with you! Something that I want to add in this comment is that Motohiro Okubo said many times that the Project Soul the development team are all safe and healthy and they still working from their homes for the Season 2 content and he also said that in Spring they will show us "great things", let's see! And also the content is DLC which everyone can download it from our homes. I think that SoulCalibur VI Season 2 is safe for now, but maybe things gonna change, who knows? If they want to delay something they will announce it! They have been working for the Season 2 since August which they announced it and I think that they are in a good way of the development! I'm still optimistic!
Yeah, I'm more worried for Season Three if I am honest: I think that Season Three was probably all but officially greenlit, given the apparent performance of the continuing support model for all of Namco's current generation of fighters, and the fact that they and other publishers in this genre have long wanted this to be the default approach for fighters, and consumers are finally beginning to ease up about the idea. But now? Eeeesh. I'm not sure what the industry is going to look like in seven or eight months, likely in the middle of a deep recession and with the esports scene that was helping to carry the load of promoting the DLC probably also in recovery. I think we'll get Season 2 only somewhat off schedule, but I really worry about whether there will be Season Three now, while a little over three months ago, it seemed a sure thing.

Last edited:
I heard Raiden and I pictured this beauty:
Screenshot_20200405-160130.jpg

😍

I would laugh a lot if we did get a FFVII Remake guest... and it was Sephiroth. Never can have enough katanas, between Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, Siegfried, Nightmare, 2B, Haohmaru, and debatably speaking Setsuka wielding them.

Heck, bring back Cervantes’s and Raphael’s katana weapons, everyone needs a katana! :sc2mit3:

I would laugh a lot if we did get a FFVII Remake guest... and it was Sephiroth. Never can have enough katanas, between Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, Siegfried, Nightmare, 2B, Haohmaru, and debatably speaking Setsuka wielding them.

Heck, bring back Cervantes’s and Raphael’s katana weapons, everyone needs a katana! :sc2mit3:

How about Maxi, Astaroth, Kilik, Zas, Talim and Tira?

How about Maxi, Astaroth, Kilik, Zas, Talim and Tira?
Katana-chucks, super thick nodachi cleaver, katana double-blade, forked katana on a stick, dual wakizashi, hula-katana, I don’t see why not!

And bring Cloud because SoulCaliburVI is really lacking in the Zweihänder department with only Siegfried, Nightmare and Inferno.
Cloud also has katanas in Murasame and Yoshiyuki!

Considering how small the budget is for soulcalibur I can't say for sure that a season 3 would be outright cancelled due to the crisis....
This seems like it will mostly hurt the process for creating brand new games, or other very intensive game design (motion capture, etc)

But soulcalibur is already on a small and tiny budget, I'm skeptical of more dlc being a huge burden on namco

Considering how small the budget is for soulcalibur I can't say for sure that a season 3 would be outright cancelled due to the crisis....
This seems like it will mostly hurt the process for creating brand new games, or other very intensive game design (motion capture, etc)

But soulcalibur is already on a small and tiny budget, I'm skeptical of more dlc being a huge burden on namco
I also feel like keep doing DLC is more viable than developing a full game from scratch, considering that some upcoming titles are being postponed. And since there will be people willing to pay for more content, maybe there's still a chance to have a Season 3.

Well, honestly, I'm not sure you're properly envisioning what the economy is likely to look like in six months, if you can't imagine them canceling a season pass that is so tenous that we don't even have the slightest indication that plans for it even exist at this stage. And mind you, I'm someone who has forecasted the likelihood of a third season for some time now, because I really do think it makes a lot of sense for Namco at this moment in time to be trying to secure the extended post-launch support sales model as the defacto approach for their fighters.

So as I said in my previous post, if I had to guess, I suspect Season Three was probably at the point of being an assumption (even if unofficial in being greenlit), but this...let's put it this way: the industry is going to be hit significantly--period, end of story. The short term boost of people buying games initially to weather quarantine is not going to offset the influences of a prolonged global recession (on all industries; people can't buy your products if they don't have the money), and right now the question mostly amounts not to "when?" but rather to "how long?". And what has history taught us about where this franchise stacks with regard to Namco's frontline priorities, when there are a lot of balls in the air and only so much incoming capitol? I'm just saying this combination of factors does not inspire confidence that a Season Three that is not even hinted at yet by the devs might not come to fruition.

So yes, I think it's a very real possibility that it could be cancelled (or more accurately, never started), though I certainly hope otherwise. Right now, there's too much up in the air as to just how bad things will get, which in turn of course shapes what we can say with any degree of certainty with regard to specific trivial subjects such as when our favourite video game drops some DLC. The great thing about DLC is that it doesn't quite have the urgency of core content: you still have to try to hit a window in time where the install base of players willing to take a chance on extra content is still at a viable size, but there is some flex, especially when your developer and publisher are held by the same corporation.

I really hope that's enough here: I want my initial strong support for the likelihood of a season three to bear out. It would, after all, seal SCVI's status as possessing the best roster in the series. But I don't think we can presume anything about what is likely to be developed in the next two years. Other than some major first and third party titles that the console makers have to put real money and push behind (no matter how bad things get, in order to try to salvage the upcoming launches of said consoles), no release is safe from being at least majorly set back by this, let alone as-yet unstarted DLC for a franchise that just clawed its way back towards getting some attention.

Last edited:
...errr...or rather, hey, let's lighten things up, whadda y'all say? Is anyone else kind of hoping that Setsuka may get an AlphaPat-inspired variant on her weapon? It may be infeasible if too much of the visuals of her style emphasize the umbrella portion of her weapon, but if it can be done, I think it would be nice--SCV did have some upsides, even as relates to Patty Cakes, and for me, one of those was the ability to finally straight up nail a certain reference design:
Iaido.jpg

Grøh also has katanas :D

...errr...or rather, hey, let's lighten things up, whadda y'all say? Is anyone else kind of hoping that Setsuka may get an AlphaPat-inspired variant on her weapon? It may be infeasible if too much of the visuals of her style emphasize the umbrella portion of her weapon, but if it can be done, I think it would be nice--SCV did have some upsides, even as relates to Patty Cakes, and for me, one of those was the ability to finally straight up nail a certain reference design:
View attachment 72268

While it would be a nice choice, I would imagine it is hard, even impossible, because many animations actually require the umbrella to be open.
Too much hassle for only a variant of a weapon.

While it would be a nice choice, I would imagine it is hard, even impossible, because many animations actually require the umbrella to be open.
Too much hassle for only a variant of a weapon.
I don't know that the umbrella is the biggest issue to overcome: afteralI, the absence of the animation probably would not substnatially ruin the attack motions or even necessarily be noticeable in all instances. I think the bigger issue may be a disconnect with the blade lengths, leading to inaccurate perception of the hitbox when the Alpha pat styled sword is in use. Still, unlikely as it is, and these issues notwithstanding, I still kind of wish they would throw in the reference/CaS utility.

I would argue that the umbrella portion of the sheath is as ancillary as the flag on Hilde’s lances. It’s not the rain protection part that’s causing the impact, but the tip of the shaft, which a saya for any iaito blade would also be able to do.

I would argue that the umbrella portion of the sheath is as ancillary as the flag on Hilde’s lances. It’s not the rain protection part that’s causing the impact, but the tip of the shaft, which a saya for any iaito blade would also be able to do.
That's a fair point. So unless they add any moves that specifically incorporate the umbrella in any significant way, there could potentially be an umbrella-less weapon

I wish they would have given the warriors force for Haohmaru a small GI like Sophitia's angel step. It's frustrating getting blasted out of it so easy. Once your opponent catches on, it's not really worth the risk if you're just hard using it and not following it out of combo chains. Still enjoying him though

Back