Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Just a reminder that Setsuka did have attacks that incorporated the umbrella itself back in the day. Can't recall how many, but the moves were definitely a thing. Whether or not they'd be brought back is another story entirely, though some were actually quite good from what I remember.

I can definitely see them making more moves that utilise the umbrella. Maybe some weird GI/RI move in which she opens it. And probably also in a throw.
That being said I'd love if it were possible to just have a sword because I used aPat for a bunch of old CaS.

Just a reminder that Setsuka did have attacks that incorporated the umbrella itself back in the day. Can't recall how many, but the moves were definitely a thing. Whether or not they'd be brought back is another story entirely, though some were actually quite good from what I remember.
True, but I think Dante's point is more that it doesn't matter whether there are a couple of frames of the umbrella flashing or not: the force is being directed exclusively in one direction, and the impact should probably look perfectly natural regardless of whether or not the umbrella briefly flashes open--especially in the context of how quickly Soulcalibur movements resolve, relative to perception, and the kind of inattention blindness that the game regularly relies upon to smooth over huge amounts of clipping and visually wonkiness in any random SC fight, that most people just don't see.

Indeed, if anything, not having the umbrella flash open (while resulting in less visual flourish) isn't really a problem with the move ending up looking somehow "wrong", but rather it would look more natural for someone to get blown back by hilt to the gut rather than an unfurling fan, in that any such fan would in reality be demolished in such a maneuver and not impart an extra force capable of realistically blowing a human-sized body back. The more we examine the details of previous animations, the less I see that would strictly speaking preclude a non-umbrella-sheathed blade as one of her options.

Then again, this is definitely, even among SC entries, a game where visual panache is given a premium. It's entirely possible the umbrella will be used in some...we'll be charitable and call them innovative new ways that are more fundamental to the move set, even as a visual matter.

Last edited:
True, but I think Dante's point is more that it doesn't matter whether there are a couple of frames of the umbrella flashing or not: the force is being directed exclusively in one direction, and the impact should probably look perfectly natural regardless of whether or not the umbrella briefly flashes open--especially in the context of how quickly Soulcalibur movements resolve, relative to perception, and the kind of inattention blindness that the game regularly relies upon to smooth over huge amounts of clipping and visually wonkiness in any random SC fight, that most people just don't see.

Indeed, if anything, not having the umbrella flash open (while resulting in less visual flourish) isn't really a problem with the move ending up looking somehow "wrong", but rather it would look more natural for someone to get blown back by hilt to the gut rather than an unfurling fan, in that any such fan would in reality be demolished in such a maneuver and not impart an extra force capable of realistically blowing a human-sized body back. The more we examine the details of previous animations, the less I see that would strictly speaking preclude a non-umbrella-sheathed blade as one of her options.

Then again, this is definitely, even among SC entries, a game where visual panache is given a premium. It's entirely possible the umbrella will be used in some...we'll be charitable and call them innovative new ways that are more fundamental to the move set, even as a visual matter.
An opened umbrella in-game will have a much bigger hitbox than the tip of a sword sheath. In order not to fuck up hitboxes, PS not removing the umbrella from the sword sheath seems like a given to me.

While Setsuka's SCIV movelist only contains five opened umbrella moves (one of them being bread and butter), I'm pretty sure that they'll elaborate on that aspect of her style as it adds flashiness and distinguishes her from the rest of the cast (at least visually).

Gosh, I feel like such a fanboy, looking at that movelist clip with my heart thumping °_°*
Cannot wait for her return :sc3set1:

I keep running into Haohmarus who abuse his poorly animated moveset constantly. Miraculously undetectable follow-ups that do not make the slightest sense visually. They really need to fix him.

On a side note, does he have better step than everyone else?

Hwang getting fire powers would be believable, but I'm gonna say Setsuka too probably. Between those 2 and most of the rest who remain to bring back, probably a safe bet they'll add unique traits/powers to all of them. Most of the cast has at least something of the sort as is, and like Mitsu could very well have something added to those who currently don't down the line. Nothing is impossible anymore on that front.

Plus, I’d personally think the opposite with Setsuka. Her name translating to Snow Flower, since gimmicks are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY in the game these days, I’d hope they give her something wintery, since flowers are occupied? I don’t know, I’m not looking forward to it (but of course, am excited for her).

Amy got a gimmick to further differentiate her from Raphael, Cassandra got a gimmick to further differentiate her from Sophitia, Hilde got gimmicks because she already had them with button holds from the very beginning, regalias are just a way to modernise the system.
There are zero reasons to add any special auras to Setsuka. None at all.
Should both Hwang and Yun-seong make it into SC6, one of them is definitely getting some gimmick to look more unique, the only question is which of the two. My guess is whoever joins first will be spared and whoever joins last will be hit with a gimmick stick (so no gimmicks for Hwang), also I may be wrong. Alternatively Project Soul may decide Yun-seong's style is more refined as is and needs no extra changes while Hwang is more of a blank slate begging for redesigns and experiments, therefore prone to the gimmick treatment.

Back