Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I think Viola is more likely than a brand new female...though I think a guest will be one of the potential 4 slots of a season 3 if we would be so lucky to get one.
Agreed as to both: I don't think Viola is at the top of the list for inclusion in SCVI, but she's certainly vastly more likely than a new original character. Zwei hasn't the faintest chance, which is definitely just as well: having both Groh and Zwei in the same game could cause SCVI to get the dreaded parental advisory label: "May cause your child to become more emo, create lame fan art, and get way too in to My Chemical Romance."

What I underlined is a key component of why SC5 is so hated. The new characters were mostly clones and we lost many unique characters for 3 mimics and 2 "palette swap" clones (Oprah and Alpha).
I think we need to be a little more reasonable as a community in how we describe the story of SCV as the element which was lacking in SCV; personally I do not think the story was particularly lackluster--not when grading on Soulcalibur's goofy-as-shit/low-stakes/comically underdeveloped characters operating in a Dragon Ball Z-esque setting curve. Consider the following:
  • SCV actually had, for my money, the most compelling plot in the series (again, given the relative yardstick): the story introduced permanent death for major characters (rather than just background/lore characters utilized to give cheaply-arrived-at motivations for major characters) for the first time in the series, meaning there were, you know, actual stakes to events that transpired (ooooooo!). In fact, the tone of the story overall is a little more mature (again, very much speaking with regard to the relative metrics of a series where a wood-based cyborg ninja demon robin hood bandit fights with windmill haymakers) and, had the game been more capable in more areas, could have inched the series towards some more serious storytelling, rather than the lazy, cookie-cutter fighting game nonsense we have once again returned to in SCVI. This can be seen in the fact that SCV actually had resolution of various plot threads that had long before gotten boring and stagnant, because every previous game in the series (like most fighters) more or less just re-established the same status qou ante for each and every character.
  • I believe that the choice to focus on such a small handful of characters in the story modes was (at least in part) a conscious decision to allow for deeper development of the story, rather than just give every single character equal time so as to make sure each group of fanboys was satisfied with the screen time given to their favourite character (i.e. the approach of every other game in the series, including SCVI, which has helped to keep the story fairly generic and unimpressive). I think @DanteSC3 is probably right that there were certain other characters who (had the budget and development period been more robust) were meant to get fuller stories as well, including Raphael and Viola/Amy, but I don't think it was ever meant to follow the typical 'spread around the attention' plot mold of previous SC games, and I think that was for the better.
  • The production values/presentation were leaps and bounds above anything ever done in the series before, and contrast particularly strongly with the half-baked, tedious, campy, low-budget and poorly-written content of SCVI's storymodes, with ts unending, inane, pointless filler, wherein any rational person with a modicum of standard for the writing in the media they consume just ends up speed reading through (or outright skipping) dozens and dozens of hours of generic dialogue with paper-thin NPC bandits, pirates, townspeople, ect.. All told through mediocre visual novel presentation, with occasional utilization of some of the lowest-quality voice acting this side of 1980s anime dubs. Give me SCV's marginal increase in quality over SCVI's quantity any day.
However, no matter how you slice it, you can't deny that the decision to make such a huge time jump and to mix up the roster as they did were in fact huge mistakes: nobody was asking for a bunch of young CW expies of the original cast, nor the numerous other stylistic changes that just mad the game feel like it was chasing a hokey anime/Street Fighter vibe. Those were just plain bad design choices, and I think those are the decisions (along with the insufficient budget and development time) which really tanked V.

The hype for the game dropped through the floor when we learned what the final roster was, and the game did not meet sales expectations for Bamco. As a result they killed SoulCalibur and we are still suffering because of it.
Well, we'll never really know how much SCV's mediocre performance actually pushed back SCVI's development/release. When you consider that every single mainline game in the series, for its nearly 25-year history, has taken more than a bit longer than the previous one to be released (paralleling trends in all contemporary game development), SCVI is not that late. Particularly when you consider that Project Soul was temporarily diverted into cash-grab efforts like Lost Swords and Unbreakable Soul. For a certainty, as I always said at the time, I don't think Namco ever really considered shelving the IP permanently. Rather, I think the delay probably had much more to do with the runaway success of Tekken over the same period, since PS is not a standing internal studio at Namco, but rather an ad-hoc team that is constituted whenever a new Soulcalibur game is to be made; you don't leach talent out of your cash-cow to develop a title that has been performing much more poorly--even if that poor performance can be put down to your own previous mismanagement.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm a bit late to the party, but SCV has been one of my favourite games and the amount of hours I logged into it over the years it was out was insane. For me, compared to the other games, it's got the tightest and most satisfying movement, a number of my favourite characters (Leixia, Natsu, Zwei, Viola, Damp, as well as Voldo.) And while I'll admit, it was the first SC I played a lot, it is still one of my favourites. As far as the characters that didn't appear in scv, while a bunch, like Setsuka, Talim, Ashlotte and Zas didn't appear, at the time I never really cared much for most characters anyway. The things that did suck imo were the meter, which was annoying, GI should never cost meter. But generally, it has been by far one if my favourite games. Sc4 was way too slow imo, but I never had experience with sc3 or before. I get that a lot of characters were removed, but I personally really liked the roster. At the moment, I'm at a point where the only characters I don't particularly care for are rock and Li Long. Even then, I'm ambivalent. I'm happy to see them again. As a side note I will still kill for Ashlotte or Kami.

I agree with the comment above - I didn't play a lot of the older games, and found Soul Calibur 5 to be really tight mechanically. When I finally picked up the 4th one to try, I realized how slow I found it. I understand all the reasons people hated some of the changes, but I loved some of the new additions (like Zwei, Viola) and unlike a few people here I also loved the styles of Dampierre and Algol. It sucks that Soul Calibur 5 did so much damage to the franchise though - and I love the 6 is better recieved.

I honestly believe that if they had left the gameplay intact from SoulCalibur V, with the only real big change being taking away Guard Impact from costing meter, but leave everything else about SoulCalibur VI the same, that it would be a much better game. Properly supported and balanced, of course, but I thought the speed was good, the mechanics were very well-done, Critical Edges didn't take a snack break to finish, and the flow was smooth. Everything worked well, and there really weren't all that many issues to begin with, aside from balance, but SoulCalibur VI and Okubo have shown us, more than shown us, even, that they're very willing to keep the game up to speed on balance. A lot of the mechanics and flashiness just get in the way of being truly as much fun as was SoulCalibur V, though.

I honestly believe that if they had left the gameplay intact from SoulCalibur V, with the only real big change being taking away Guard Impact from costing meter, but leave everything else about SoulCalibur VI the same, that it would be a much better game. Properly supported and balanced, of course, but I thought the speed was good, the mechanics were very well-done, Critical Edges didn't take a snack break to finish, and the flow was smooth. Everything worked well, and there really weren't all that many issues to begin with, aside from balance, but SoulCalibur VI and Okubo have shown us, more than shown us, even, that they're very willing to keep the game up to speed on balance. A lot of the mechanics and flashiness just get in the way of being truly as much fun as was SoulCalibur V, though.
Even then, SCV wasn’t that far off in terms of balance. Only a small portion of the cast was really considered garbage (like Dampierre and ZWEI) and really only Viola can be considered to be broken. Yes, aPat was ridiculous in his own ways but he didn’t have a back grab infinite or ToD setups. The only thing that really annoyed me about SCV’s gameplay was the Just Guard with it’s frame advantage. Some characters like Aeon, Yoshi, and Astaroth did not benefit too well from the mechanic.

But despite SCV’s issues, I would arguably say it did well in some aspects that SCVI kinda fell apart in. The creation mode was better handled and had more parts compared to 6 which was stripped down. And you got more pieces just by playing the game. Online components also felt better handled. Netcode arguably had better stability on both 360 and PS3, even with the latter’s disconnects, whereas in SCVI only the PC version has a decently working netcode. Ranked was also less tedious and grindy. You were actually able to search for what lobby you wanted to join instead of just being thrown into a random open lobby. Global Colosseo was also a thing (even if it became a breeding ground for cancer at times). Stage selection was also significantly larger, even if some were repeats. But the cosmetic differences were still really nice, plus everyone has their own music theme. Input buffering was also not as stiff and unresponsive compared to SCVI, especially when playing online. And hitboxes were more consistent in SCV compared to SCVI where jank can be found all over the place, especially with CaS.

I like SCVI and all but I wouldn’t ever say it’s currently the masterpiece of the franchise, and I still stand by that. Just as much as I stand by saying that SCV isn’t the piece of garbage that some like to make it out to be, and quite frankly I enjoyed SCV for what it had to offer. I understand why people were disappointed with 5 and missed their favourites from the past (and giving the game some criticism for the characters departures), but it would honestly take way more than that to write it off as “trash.”

Okay, I’m done. Never thought I’d make a post just as long as one of Rusty’s. :P

Oh for sure, SoulCalibur VI is far from perfect, and it’s a middling entry for me overall, just below SoulCalibur V when you consider all facets. But it’s really close to SoulCalibur V, and what I’m saying is that if you took the best parts of SoulCalibur V and the best parts of SoulCalibur VI then you could approach the greatness that was SoulCalibur I-II and SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition if it had the single player content of the home release too.

Despite that, it’s put the series in a great position from which to move forward, and I’m excited to see what happens in SoulCalibur VII. :sc4amy1: :sc2nm1:

If soulcalibur V didn't cripple the series I would have a much rosier outlook on it....
Wasn't that the result of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami that destroyed a few BAMCO development studios and such? I remember reading something like that all of those years ago a few months after I joined the forums. The main story mode was supposed to be at least four times as long and Viola was supposed to have a much larger part in it too. Can anyone confirm if that was the case since it's been so many years since that time? Aside from the crappy main story and the missing fighters, the mechanics and overall gameplay of SCV was pretty good.

Wasn't that the result of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami that destroyed a few BAMCO development studios and such? I remember reading something like that all of those years ago a few months after I joined the forums. The main story mode was supposed to be at least four times as long and Viola was supposed to have a much larger part in it too. Can anyone confirm if that was the case since it's been so many years since that time? Aside from the crappy main story and the missing fighters, the mechanics and overall gameplay of SCV was pretty good.
That was pretty much the gist of it, yeah, but instead of delaying the release and finishing the game, Namco just had Project Soul rush it out of the door anyway so that they could use the team members to help make Tekken Tag 2 instead, which relatively flopped, and the rest kind of died down after that, they pulled DLC support and updates and everything. Then we got the hiatus and years of discontent, not knowing if we would ever get another main series release, between Lost Swords, Unbreakable Soul, and Pachislot, it seemed like the franchise was hosed. Tekken 7 came and went and no one expected a SoulCalibur VI until that shocking reveal at The Game Awards...

Last edited:
That was pretty much the gist of it, yeah, but instead of delaying the release and finishing the game, Namco just had Project Soul rush it out of the door anyway so that they could use the team members to help make Tekken Tag 2 instead, which relatively flopped, and the rest kind of died down after that, they pulled DLC support and updates and everything. Then we got the hiatus and years of discontent, not knowing if we would ever get another main series release, between Lost Swords, Unbreakable Soul, and Pachislot, it seemed like the franchise was hosed. Tekken 7 came and went and no one expected a SoulCalibur VI until that shocking reveal at The Game Awards...

It sucks big time when bean counters run a game development publisher instead of visionary leaders. I imagine that had SCV been pushed back a year or so, it would have been a perfect launch title for both the XBOX One and PS4 and maybe PC then. I remember being very mad that they pulled the plug on the DLC content that was supposed to add Viola's 2P costume and much more through the data mining done by Fluffy Quack back then.

I fondly remember at how I nearly had a heart attack when they asked if one's soul still burned and then seeing Mitsu's katana being planted into the ground and seeing both him and Sophitia going at it. I hope we see a season three and then with the healthy sales of SCVI, we see SCVII with a large budget this time around in time for the XBOX Series X, PS5 and PC. I also hope they port SCVI in the meantime to the Switch, I would love to play SC on the go since I'm a trucker and I'm on the road a lot, especially now that the US DOT Hours of Service have been lifted and I'm trucking for over 16 hours instead of 11 like normal during this COVID-19 pandemic. Since the line to get loads is much longer with the general goods I deliver, I'm at the distributor waiting over 4+ hours at times to get a load and my Switch has been great entertainment during those long hours of waiting. I was nearly hyped as I was during the best E3 in gaming history being E3 2003 when both Halo 2 and SCII were announced back then and my 17 year old ass doing back flips back then, lol :sc4min1:

Last edited:
Personally, I think that scv was good yes, but I still think that in general, scvi is better. It's just more polished, and it has a better roster (rip Leixia T_T) for most people. Everyone seems to hate re, but it's a lot better now imo. Also it's nice that it's easier to play, I might be able to get my friends into it now. Scv had better movement and fluidity imo, but scvi is just better all round imo.

All of this positive talk about SoulCalibur V reminds me of AngryJoe’s review of the game, which really was quite spot-on, love or hate the guy:

I loved that review. A 7/10 is a pretty nice score all things considered. Though, if we keep up all this positive talk about SCV, I wouldn’t be surprised if a certain “you-know-who” showed up and threw a hissyfit lol.

SC5 was trash and will always be trash in my book.

The system was pure garbage. Not to mention the rest of the casualties of the game but the system was just....NO!!!

Trash!!!

SC6 OTOH is shaping up to be the best in the series. Right now is second and just a little under SC3 AE.

Back