Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I love concept art and I love SCII, so that image was one of the best things for me to wake up to :D

Mitsurugi's almost-replacement's name is Seidou Nagumo, and apparently he's still considered to be a canon character? He's mentioned by name in New Legends of Project Soul, albeit very briefly. I am claiming him as my son now by the way.

Thinking about it now, SoulCalibur II does look a bit like a generation shift. There's a bigger time gap between SoulCalibur I & SoulCalibur II than there is between Soul Edge & SoulCalibur I, and they also even tried to replace Sophitia with Cassandra (Sophitia wasn't in the original arcade version of SoulCalibur II). From the looks of it, they tried to make Kilik the sole pole-type weapon user but thank god Seong Mi-na came back along with Sophitia for the console versions.

Also, I honestly can't tell if that's Hwang or a prototype Yun-seong lol.

When lots of characters back then were copies of other characters. SCIII & up started to make characters that were similar in the SCI & II era more unique. SCVI did a great job of putting more thought into Mi-na after she was like an afterthought since SCI.

SoulCalibur II was trying to be SoulCalibur V before SoulCalibur V did it, and it didn’t work out, so they ended up backpedaling and adding almost everyone back in. Hwang, Aeon, and Rock didn’t quite really exactly make it back, but they did enough to return to SoulCalibur III in one way or another, and even Li Long secured a spot, before he and Hwang got left behind while Amy made mean faces at them from the back window of the bus.

SoulCalibur III did make an attempt to differentiate those with similar weapons to give them different styles, with mixed results, but it feels like they just gave up trying with SoulCalibur IV, and there were just betters and worses for the pairs. Then SoulCalibur V threw out a lot of stuff and made some new stuff, but it didn’t go over well due to it being an incomplete mess. SoulCalibur VI feels like a hybridization of all the other ideals.

Siegmare’s mask is kind of interesting. Maybe as a transition between the two identities? But it makes him look like Claw wearing armor.

Instantly thought of that, too. That costume does make Siegmare look like Claw in armor! It was a pretty cool costume he had in that tweet... I'm glad they went with the unmasked and shirtless option though, heh. 😏

SoulCalibur II was trying to be SoulCalibur V before SoulCalibur V did it, and it didn’t work out, so they ended up backpedaling and adding almost everyone back in. Hwang, Aeon, and Rock didn’t quite really exactly make it back, but they did enough to return to SoulCalibur III in one way or another, and even Li Long secured a spot, before he and Hwang got left behind while Amy made mean faces at them from the back window of the bus.

SoulCalibur III did make an attempt to differentiate those with similar weapons to give them different styles, with mixed results, but it feels like they just gave up trying with SoulCalibur IV, and there were just betters and worses for the pairs. Then SoulCalibur V threw out a lot of stuff and made some new stuff, but it didn’t go over well due to it being an incomplete mess. SoulCalibur VI feels like a hybridization of all the other ideals.
Interesting.

However, seeing how V turned out, I won't be surprised if a later SC6 season will find a way to close the plot here and there, since I'm probably certain that they won't risk making a SC7, because that would mean making newcomers to replace established characters, for better or worse.

Interesting.

However, seeing how V turned out, I won't be surprised if a later SC6 season will find a way to close the plot here and there, since I'm probably certain that they won't risk making a SC7, because that would mean making newcomers to replace established characters, for better or worse.
How so? They don't have to make the mistake of a two-digits time skip again and can easily sort the rest out with time travel shenanigans.

I guess after Li Long and Hwang getting done dirty while Amy made it to SCIV explains why I'm not that big into Amy.

But still, in my opinion I found that Seong Mi-Na was the biggest surprise to make the default roster since along with Amy and Cassandra, she is in the same "style family" as Kilik like those two girls were. Like you'd think it'd make more sense for Mi-Na to be the DLC character instead of Tira.

I mean Siegmare is excusable because of central character status and Mi-Na did make it to SC2 on consoles.

When lots of characters back then were copies of other characters. SCIII & up started to make characters that were similar in the SCI & II era more unique. SCVI did a great job of putting more thought into Mi-na after she was like an afterthought since SCI.
I’m just surprised it took them this long for the developers to get characters such as Mina and Raphael right.

I still don’t find Mina that fun to play as or fight against in 6, but that’s just me.

お気付きになった方もいらっしゃると思いますが、一部のデザインは2Pコスチュームに転用されていますね。この謎の女忍者の衣装も、タキの2Pデザインとして製品版に生き残っています。
御剣がこの衣装を着ているのも見てみたかった気もします。ただ、髭は剃ってもらわないと……w
The mysterious ninja ended up becoming Taki's 2P in SC II, meaning they were going to replace her. Ivy remains untouchable..:sc1ivy3:

Not even 2B can touch her, seen in the art:

e77sqaqzo1v11.jpg

Back