Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Jacker is a real character, though. As is Kalnypolok (the fat priest). Some of the “leaks” were just people trolling legitimate minor characters.
Yeah, but there was just no way that they were ever going to make a main roster character explicitly gay. I mean, there would be a certain degree of positive development in that, but the fact of the matter is that large segments of their target markets are pretty conservative when it comes to that sort of thing, and there's only downside to making a character expressly homosexual in this kind of genre, because people in the fan base for pop-fantasy stories who like to imagine this or that character gay will just headcannon "ship" them together in their minds, or fanfiction or art; the segments of the community that are open to LGBT characters already aggressively serve themselves content in that fashion. So I'm sure a company like Namco (especially when it comes to a series that has traditionally leaned very shonen in many respects) sees very little benefit and plenty of potential blowback to making a male character explicitly gay.

Anyway, if the creative director of a SoulCalibur character ever did make a character expressly gay, and it was a retcon or reveal of an established character, I would hope that they would be bold enough to make it literally anyone but Maxi. Making the most flamboyant character gay is so obvious and on-the-nose as to be almost offensive. Make it Sigefried, or Mitsurugi, or Yoshimitsu and then you're taking a bit of an actual stance. That's one of the reasons I couldn't help but roll my eyes when people were buying into that particular prediction. It would please almost no one: some bigots would be displeased that any character was gay, LGBT-friendly players would consider it obvious and not worth much (other than the shippers and fan content creators who would lose their mind: but again, they are living in that world regardless), and the trolls/obnoxious meme makers would have a field day baiting everyone and laughing at their own lame homophobic jokes.

The more I look back at his posts, the more I find stuff that seems very absurd. He referenced the whole thing about Zasalamel and Talim being planned for SC5 (which was never true, and you don't need to do much research to find that there was never any source to that rumour). He randomly claims Namco planned to have Cassandra in SC5 using Darth Vader's moveset (not sure where he would get that from). He claimed characters had 2-3 movesets earlier in development (I'm willing to bet he assumed that from the "concept art" which got released a few years back which was never confirmed to be real concept art for SC6). He kept repeating that Azwel is Grøh's father. He kept repeating the whole thing about Maxi having a boyfriend dying in the game. He kept going back and forth about Cassandra. He randomly changed his mind about Zasalamel being in the game itself or being DLC (to be fair and for all we know, that could have been true, but there's zero evidence of it).

Looking back, there's no wonder he lost more and more credibility because he kept saying too many things which ended up being false or were very unbelievable to begin with, even though he got some things correct.

Yup. At the end of the day he just didn't have a good head for deciphering what was truly a realistic expectation (with regard to his own guesswork or the supposed leaks he was presented with).

But I feel mean talking too much ill of him. I don't think he was trying to mislead people, I think he was just overly eager with speculation and extrapolation.
I couldn't agree more. Not to point fingers at anyone in particular (which would just feed back into the negative energy further), but sometimes there is way too much gravedancing here, and an inability to let things go even years after there was last any realistic debate on a subject, or to perpetuate jokes about past blunders loooooong after they ceased to be even remotely funny. There's been a couple of, shall we say, "big" personalities here who went full throttle on their ideas against all common sense (and sometimes against any contrary opinion) and that partly explains why people feel inclined to hold their faces in the mud forever (even long after they've been active), but at a certain point, the endless return to that well of petty mockery just gets even more obnoxious than the original asshole(s)/silly folk who inspired it. That's why I am so done with the endless 'lesbian barbarian' jokes. But I say that without any real hope that they are going away any time soon. But anyway, my point is, I get what you mean when you say picking on Vergeben feels mean. I think much of what he said was silly and at the same time a little too self-serious, but as you say, there was no indication he was out to dupe anyone, exactly. He just got a little full of himself.

And a part of me hopes Namco will actually keep things hidden for future content (if there's a season 3). It would be easier to count the number of announcements that haven't leaked as that would be a very small number. 2B and Haohmaru are among the few they were actually able to keep secret.
Well, as you know, I have long had my doubts as to how many of those leaks are genuine and how much it has just become their apporach to viral marketing for the series, since they are clearly aware of the work of dataminers such as yourself getting into the industry press. In fact, now that you mention it, I think the fact that the guests do stay a secret is yet more evidence (in an already pretty substantial case) for how the dataleaks are unlikely to be unintentional; there are business/licensing/respecting the borrowed IP reasons for PS to keep the guests secret until they are ready for an announcement, and the fact that they unerringly manage to do so with those characters is yet more indication that their failure to do so with their own characters is not down to mere sloppiness but rather careful cultivated reveals that make the fanbase feel like we have sniffed something out. Even if in reality that work is done by a very small number of members of the modder community such as yourself, whenever that info gets released, it becomes a serious source of fan-engagement and discussion. I'm pretty sold on the idea that at least the last several leaks have been planned, if not all of them. I still think they would be better off just announcing shit at the front end like Tekken, but clearly the PS marketing team feels the current strategy is working for them.

Last edited:
I keep hearing the "SC6's leftover files for new characters are intentional" theory being thrown around occasionally, and my feelings on it are really... Mixed? Complicated? I dunno.

One one hand, some of these leftover files seem like legitimate mistakes on the dev team's part. The Cassandra and Amy leak for S1 and the executable leak for S2 were probably things that the team overlooked, especially the S1 stuff since that was very shortly after the game launched. The same thing goes for the NMD file leak that Avoiding the Puddle reported on, which was actually the first S2 datamine to be public, with the executable stuff popping up later (although I knew about the exe thing first fufufu).

But on the other hand, maybe the dev team actually is trying to drop us a few crumbs, or at the very least, they've become savvy to the fact that people are snooping through their game's files. The codenames that were leaked last January were conveniently placed in the same file as Cassandra's and Amy's names, and obviously those amounted to nothing, at least on our ends. And even after the NMD leak was made public, they still left those files in the next (and most recent) patch, 15 days after Avoiding the Puddle posted their article about them.

Regardless, I really hope that dataminers, including myself, will keep any future discoveries private so that the community can be surprised by what Project Soul has to offer. I still feel like the S2 stuff is mostly my fault lol

YELL = Hilde
SNOW = Setsuka
YELLOW = Hwang

That leaves REPTILE, STONE, and STAR, and if we get a season three with Aeon, Rock, and Yun-seong, well...
I'm still skeptical of YELL being Hilde since there's nothing in her name that relates to yelling/cheering, but since there's no other characters who match that description, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Also, STAR could possibly be Algol instead, but I do understand where you got Yun-seong from.

That said, I'd be perfectly fine with those three being potential S3 characters. It would almost complete the SC4 roster (minus Algol, who I don't think we'll see for SC6). I'd still like Li Long to come back with them though, because that would complete the SC3:AE as well (minus a few characters from that game too, like the clones and mimics).

I keep hearing the "SC6's leftover files for new characters are intentional" theory being thrown around occasionally, and my feelings on it are really... Mixed? Complicated? I dunno.

One one hand, some of these leftover files seem like legitimate mistakes on the dev team's part. The Cassandra and Amy leak for S1 and the executable leak for S2 were probably things that the team overlooked, especially the S1 stuff since that was very shortly after the game launched. The same thing goes for the NMD file leak that Avoiding the Puddle reported on, which was actually the first S2 datamine to be public, with the executable stuff popping up later (although I knew about the exe thing first fufufu).

But on the other hand, maybe the dev team actually is trying to drop us a few crumbs, or at the very least, they've become savvy to the fact that people are snooping through their game's files. The codenames that were leaked last January were conveniently placed in the same file as Cassandra's and Amy's names, and obviously those amounted to nothing, at least on our ends. And even after the NMD leak was made public, they still left those files in the next (and most recent) patch, 15 days after Avoiding the Puddle posted their article about them.

Regardless, I really hope that dataminers, including myself, will keep any future discoveries private so that the community can be surprised by what Project Soul has to offer. I still feel like the S2 stuff is mostly my fault lol
Yeah, my thoughts run roughly in the same direction: Amy may very well have been an honest mistake born out of sloppy coding/prep for a near-future update, but with each subsequent release doing the same exact thing, it's become increasingly difficult to imagine this isn't intentional. There's actually a fair bit of additional contextual evidence to suggest this is their approach to viral marketing, which I won't belabour yet again because I fear I am beginning to sound like a broken (and verbose) record on the subject, but really it suffices just to point out that there is no possible way they are unaware that people are noticing the reference names and character IDs. I mean it already strained credulity to assume they wouldn't be aware of what as programmers themselves with even the initial data leaks, but at this point there have been numerous industry articles discussing these "unintentional" reveals and countless times where the devs have been directly tweeted at about them. They certainly know, so at a minimum, they are unconcerned about this information getting out.

But I'm pretty sure that at least from Cassie on (if not going back to even Amy), this was just clever viral marketing. It directly engages the fanbase who then spread the news directly via the fan communities and beyond. No matter how plain and obvious it seemed to me, people were pretty slow to buy into this when I started arguing this is what was going on about...a year and a half back, I guess? But I feel that at this point the writing is really on the wall. The thing is, even though I've argued this was a marketing strategy during that period, I've simultaneously doubted it was a -smart- marketing strategy. They are experimenting here, and probably because it is cheap alternative to the kind of direct marketing they would do for a cashcow like Tekken. But I doubt their market research on the matter is refined enough to tell them (particularly at this point) whether this approach has really helped sales/preserved momentum for the title. It's probably just a 'better than nothing' approach. But I have a hard time believing its truly more beneficial than just announcing the characters at the beginning of (or part way into) development for a given season pass; I just have to think that would generate the most aggregate interest and discussion for at least the average hardcore player.

I'm still skeptical of YELL being Hilde since there's nothing in her name that relates to yelling/cheering, but since there's no other characters who match that description, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
I have the same doubt. There's always the possibility that the names were teasers and that some of them did not end up having a direct link to someone eventually added. Or that yell was Haohmaru, or someone else entirely. But I will say there is a certain symmetry involved in the codenamed six end up being the returning legacy characters for seasons 2 and 3. And even if those names had never been leaked, I think we'd still have recognized that Hilde, Setsuka, Hwang, Aeon, Rock, and Yun-seong were the most likely characters to be added for those two seasons, so it does all fit together fairly well from multiple angles.

Last edited:
I’ll give Vergeben credit for at least bringing the community back together again with the SC6 drop. However, he really should have double checked his sources for the leaks as he went on, and maybe he wouldn’t have struggled to stay afloat.

Also, wasn’t there a post from him saying that Raphael fans were going to be “worried” about whether he was going to be in SC6 or not? I swear I saw that somewhere around here.

I’ll give Vergeben credit for at least bringing the community back together again with the SC6 drop. However, he really should have double checked his sources for the leaks as he went on, and maybe he wouldn’t have struggled to stay afloat.

Also, wasn’t there a post from him saying that Raphael fans were going to be “worried” about whether he was going to be in SC6 or not? I swear I saw that somewhere around here.

I remember it as being more along the lines of "Raph fans have to stay strong" and that he was referring to his hideous glasses.

I don't know about you, but definitely, this outfit doesn't match Ivy, at least for me, but I liked the shoes.
natalie.jpg

I don't know about you, but definitely, this outfit doesn't match Ivy, at least for me, but I liked the shoes.
View attachment 75273
I bet that's a reference to another Namco game, like how Sophitia and Cassandra have Ki's and Valkyrie's costumes (and weapons!) respectively. Taki's costume is from Bravoman, but I can't remember the character's name lol

(Also I see what you named that file Lisa, you can't fool me Kappa)

...Now I really want to see some Mitsurugi concept art (´・ω・`)

Back