Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

@Autumn
Do you have a way of being notified when the SC6 steamdb dlc updates? I notice you are basically always on top of it when it gets updated.

I check manually everyday and its rather tiresome by now....

Moving to work from home? I hope that's a translation goof because Japan has been under a state of emergency since, like, the beginning of April. Are they still in transition?
I think the answer is probably a little of both: I suspect that was in fact a translational error in the wording to some extent, but at the same time, most people don't really seem to appreciate that moving a major game studio's activities to a work-from-home environment is not the most feasible thing in the world: we're talking about people who work with very high-end hardware operating on complicated enterprise network systems in highly integrated office environments. Finding a way to move that entire development apparatus into the tiny Tokyo apartments of a hundred different software engineers and mixed digital media artists is no simple task: probably they've only invested in doing it for a small handful of core team members, and they are almost certainly still working out how to make this process work in this context.

So while I suspect that work has been resumed on the season pass for some time now, I think the more accurate answer to your question is yes: to whatever extent team members are working out of their homes, that's probably still a system they are working out. They had probably hoped to be back to business as usual soon, since Japan's COVID situation was looking (comparably) pretty contained for a bit there and the country was going close to fully opened up again. But trends in the last week probably have them (like many Japanese businesses) beginning to wonder if this decentralized work is going to have to be the norm for a while.

Last edited:
I can only speak from experience, but a couple of the Japanese people u follow have said that a lot of people are still going to work even despite the fact they have been in a state of emergency. I Japanese friend of mine did say that quarantine isn't happening so much anymore though.

I can only speak from experience, but a couple of the Japanese people u follow have said that a lot of people are still going to work even despite the fact they have been in a state of emergency. I Japanese friend of mine did say that quarantine isn't happening so much anymore though.
Yeah, the state of emergency was lifted a couple of weeks ago. That's why it was odd to me that they would say "we're moving to work at home." Y'all are a bit late. lol

In all seriousness, safety first. I wouldn't trust that emergency lift for a second. If people can work from home, they should. I think they said 100-ish people got infected in Tokyo the other day. R.I.P. in pieces, America.

Yeah, the state of emergency was lifted a couple of weeks ago. That's why it was odd to me that they would say "we're moving to work at home." Y'all are a bit late. lol

In all seriousness, safety first. I wouldn't trust that emergency lift for a second. If people can work from home, they should. I think they said 100-ish people got infected in Tokyo the other day. R.I.P. in pieces, America.
I have to admit, I'm a tiny bit glum about the content of those two tweets in that, while somewhat vague on the details, they kinda sorta did imply that the DLC production is even further behind schedule than I was anticipating: my hope had been that Setsuka was already well underway when the lockdown began, that she and any incidental assets necessary to release her might be completed by this juncture, and that her release would come no more than one to two months later than it otherwise would have (that is, relatively soon). I'm not longer as confident of that, based on those comments. But, as you say, better that they should push the timetable and protect the team than take risks at a time like this.

I have to admit, I'm a tiny bit glum about the content of those two tweets in that, while somewhat vague on the details, they kinda sorta did imply that the DLC production is even further behind schedule than I was anticipating.

No, its not because Setsuka was always going be saved for EVO Online 2020. I seem to see the Namco DLC schedule pattern for Tekken 7 & SCVI.
T7 gets DLC a month after EVO, days after the Tekken World Tour Finals, & after EVO Japan. SCVI gets DLC before Christmas, a month or two after EVO Japan, days after EVO with another announcement.

No, its not because Setsuka was always going be saved for EVO Online 2020. I seem to see the Namco DLC schedule pattern for Tekken 7 & SCVI.
T7 gets DLC a month after EVO, days after the Tekken World Tour Finals, & after EVO Japan. SCVI gets DLC before Christmas, a month or two after EVO Japan, days after EVO with another announcement.
I don't think that's likely to be what is at play here in the delay. For one, we've only been through one complete season so far, so there's no 'pattern' to point to here as yet. For another, I doubt very much their initial plan was to have a nearly six month wait between DLC 2 and DLC 3, as that is significantly longer than how they have staggered previous releases. If you look at the actual dates of drops for the six characters to be released so far, they are highly irregular in both the specific dates and the time period between them, but until COVID there was a maximum span of about four months, with the mean being somewhere around 3 and 3.25 months. Yeah, I don't think this was an EVO target, especially considering they have known for months now that EVO was unlikely to go forward this year.

Back