Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Custom characters have been online in ranked since SoulCalibur IV. I’m not sure why this is being brought up like it’s a new development. Right or wrong, online ranked is not even a real competitive metric, due to latency, lag spikes, and everything else inbetween. Yes, it would be more fair if it were only main characters and no customizations allowed, sure. I won’t dispute that. But it still wouldn’t solve the core issue in netcode and truly emulating the live and in person experience of playing in the same room. It’s why these online tournaments don’t have the same appeal, either the Bud Light series or if EVO hadn’t been cancelled, this year’s EVO winners would not have the same prestige as winners from previous years. The environment is too different.

I have this picture in my head of a secret scenario that "Project Soul" at this point is just Okubo moving slowly from computer to computer, task to task, in an otherwise empty studio office, lights low...somewhere in the corner a monitor captures an auto-freshed, scrolling stream of twitter abuse as he labours hour upon hour, day after day, to put all the pieces together. The whole scenario is set to Satie's Gymnopédie No.1 in my head.

I have this picture in my head of a secret scenario that "Project Soul" at this point is just Okubo moving slowly from computer to computer, task to task, in an otherwise empty studio office, lights low...somewhere in the corner a monitor captures an auto-freshed, scrolling stream of twitter abuse as he labours hour upon hour, day after day, to put all the pieces together. The whole scenario is set to Satie's Gymnopédie No.1 in my head.
This would be an incredibly sad, yet believable, scenario. But I do believe we have evidence to the contrary. There’s probably... at least four people working on the project, from what I can tell. Maybe five.

This would be an incredibly sad, yet believable, scenario. But I do believe we have evidence to the contrary. There’s probably... at least four people working on the project, from what I can tell. Maybe five.
I used to think that the team couldn't be any smaller than a couple dozen people, including some content developers being shared between SC and Tekken. Now I have to admit, I am not so sure. I suspect that, at least since the pandemic was well underway, it may indeed be a single digit situation.... :/

I think it's just key personnel that are in the single digits, but that's perfectly fine for the post development stage SC6 is in. If anything, it shows the game is still being kept alive, which is good when it comes to Bandai Namco games as past management has been known to pull funding from their games (like Tekken) just after a month's retail release. I would not be surprised Harada is the man responsible for keeping the lights on after his promotion to chef producer of the fighting game division, I just hope that he has the sway in the board room for more Calibur content in these unprecedented times.

i pity the poor staffer who has to read and sift through the namco bandai surveys regarding soul calibur
Then again I don't think he's flooded with responses, but the language barrier could be a problem.
There's probably a native English speaker somewhere within localization at Namco that can translate something if necessary. It's not like they don't have American and European branches.

What I would long for is removing the CaS out of Ranked. Hate the jank they provide.
I don't play ranked, so I really don't care that much about that. Ranked modes in a fighting game is just stupid, and i fear removing CaS from it might make people who already think it's a competitive mode take it even more seriously. Any marginal issues from CaS are entirely insignificant compared to the effects of just being an online mode has to frame data.

Back