Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

This was honestly where the series truly took off. It basically took Soul Blade/Edge and expanded on it in all aspects. A true sequel done right.
And then SoulCalibur II did the same thing. SoulCalibur III tried, but also tried to do too much and didn’t quite hit the mark. It’s just a shame they couldn’t patch the PS2 version with the Arcade Edition or something. But it was downhill from there...

And then SoulCalibur II did the same thing. SoulCalibur III tried, but also tried to do too much and didn’t quite hit the mark. It’s just a shame they couldn’t patch the PS2 version with the Arcade Edition or something. But it was downhill from there...
What did SCIII miss the mark on aside from its glitches and balance issues?

SC3 probably could have been the best one out there. It was a casual players dream with all the single player content and unlockables...but the vanilla game was crippled with bugs, terrible roster balancing, and save data corruption. AE fixes the latter three problems at the cost of the content. Oh well...

Console version was a complete disaster with the VC nonsense.

Yes, it had tons of casual goodies but serious gameplay took a serious hit with the console version.
So if SCIII were to be rereleased today, exactly the same content wise, but with all the bugs and glitches of the console edition removed and the roster of the arcade edition included, I wonder if it would be known as the best game in the franchise?

Omg, you f***ing nimrods. Do you not realize this is page 2020 of the thread? That means you are all doing this ABSOLUTELY WRONG--what is the matter with you!?! This page should be as full of acrimony, needless antagonism, obfuscations, a low-level of general anxiety, and general misery as possible. Recriminations, you dip-shitted gaggle of twats! A complete failure to understand (or even try to understand) the perspective of anyone whose experience and vantage on the subject at hand deviates from yours in event he slightest aspect. And it wouldn't hurt if someone was slowly dying in the background while we ignore them or even actively push them out of sight to better ignore them, damnitdoIhavetodoeverythingmyself!? You tedious buffoons, you disappoint me so much!!

It made me wonder. Why do they keep on forcing those announcements to big events? It's not that people watching those are unaware of SC series and it's not like there's a lot of people interested in competitive scene in the first place. The biggest group that purchase those games are casuals yet they are somehow left even more in the dark then we are. I'm just asking - why? Tho I doubt anyone would have an answer outside of "Bamco marketing team works in mysterious ways"
Well, at least part of the answer would seem to be cost: this hardcore-player-mediate, top-down marketing strategy, supported by the bare minimum of traditional marketing methodologies has its budgetary advantages. But even then, there are particular decisions withing that framework which remain bizarre and inscrutable and very much do, as you say, seem to involve some sort of idiosyncratic strategy which is hard to define but which I think, regardless, has pretty much proven to irritate at least the hardcore consistently. That may very well be part of the point: not to piss everyone off outright but...let me put it this way: I think Namco is is pursuing something like the marketing equivalent of the idiotic old courting trope "treat them mean, keep them keen": keeping people just this side of unsatisfied keeps them talking and then causes the conversation around a character to blow up when the release does happen, just when they need an explosion of sales.

I hate to embrace such a conspiratorial take on all of this, but it's one of the few explanations that make sense and it does fit perfectly with other evidence: the 'dataleaks' (they aren't leaks: the evidence is pretty profound/verging on 'are you kidding me?' that those (at least after Amy) have been obvious plants to be found, no slip-ups), the devs (well Okubo anyway) always responding to queries with a "Oh, I don't think my marketing colleagues, who are hard at work on this matter, would like it if I told you that" style of answers. This all seems to me to be a textbook viral marketing campaign, with the hardcore base being pressurized and then leveraged to spout first our frustration (but that's still focus maintained after-all) and then our relief/celebration when the moment comes, and it washes across our little corner of the web. I still think it's a losing strategy, longterm, but I'd bet what I describe immediately above is playing some role in their decision making.

So if SCIII were to be rereleased today, exactly the same content wise, but with all the bugs and glitches of the console edition removed and the roster of the arcade edition included, I wonder if it would be known as the best game in the franchise?
The question is, which game would they choose to remake? Even if they have archived the relevant assets internally at the company, there's no way they are going to go back and rebuild the game from the ground up to include both everything the hardcore crowd (well those of us that hung around long enough anyway) loved about the AE version with what the casual loved about the original CE version. They could make a revised version of AE (in which case I don't know that they would even bother adding in much or any of the casual/single-player content that was cut for that version), or the CE version, with the movesets and bug fixes of AE patched in--which would be great, but would still leave the glaring issue of 11 characters being absolutely worthless for competitive play (I guess that could be solved as easily as removing them from the versus modes, though I'm not sure how well even that would go over--maybe just ranked, presuming there was an online component? But no matter how you slice it, the job would be much more work than your standard level of investment for the port of a fighting game: and given that we've seen exactly how much care Namco was willing to spend on SCII:HDO, based on the most popular game in the series/one of the most celebrated fighting games ever, it doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon.

But then, you didn't ask for a breakdown of the roadblocks, you asked if it would be the best game in the series. So if we construct the theoretical ideal version (the basic design of SCIII:CE, but with the gameplay improvements, bug fixes, and movesets of AE patched in, all given a new pseudo-HD coat of paint and real online functionality with decent netcode)....yeah, it would be a pretty damn tough game to beat in terms of bang for your dollar. But they would also almost certainly lose money on it.

Last edited:

Score in this review 10/10
Famitsu Score 40/40
Stable frame rate locked @ 60 FPS - Superb gameplay, outstanding animation & motion capture (still the best in the franchise), excellent sound design, and ground breaking graphics for the time.

The original Soul Calibur for Dreamcast is still to this day the unsurpassed masterpiece.

Omg, you f***ing nimrods. Do you not realize this is page 2020 of the thread? That means you are all doing this ABSOLUTELY WRONG--what is the matter with you!?! This page should be as full of acrimony, needless antagonism, obfuscations, a low-level of general anxiety, and general misery as possible. Recriminations, you dip-shitted gaggle of twats! A complete failure to understand (or even try to understand) the perspective of anyone whose experience and vantage on the subject at hand deviates from yours in event he slightest aspect. And it wouldn't hurt if someone was slowly dying in the background while we ignore them or even actively push them out of sight to better ignore them, damnitdoIhavetodoeverythingmyself!? You tedious buffoons, you disappoint me so much!!
3F56D1DC-F0CB-4141-A010-C59277B05B69.gif

Many OG fans have asked for this.

To me, SC3 AE is still the best Soulcalibur game BUTTTTTTTTTTTT SC6 is trailing at a very short distance.

Famitsu Score 40/40
Stable frame rate locked @ 60 FPS - Superb gameplay, outstanding animation & motion capture (still the best in the franchise), excellent sound design, and ground breaking graphics for the time.

The original Soul Calibur for Dreamcast is still to this day the unsurpassed masterpiece.
I don't know about unsurpassed, but it definetly is a case of knocking it out of the park early on and setting a pretty high standard that the series has struggled to maintain over the long haul.

Famitsu Score 40/40

The animations represented the biggest improvement compared to the previous version, but its only gotten better as they used less and less of soul blade's attack animations.

Its pretty crazy how a fighting game could be goty quality and a killer app for an entire console.

If it helps I have anxiety?

It's a shame that it was only released for the PS2, I remember the thrill of trying to do those perfect Tales Of Souls runs to reach Night Terror without losing a single match.
I remember that too. Only managed to do it with six characters (Voldo, Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Kilik, and Cassandra, and Mitsurugi). Just kept falling short on Olcadan in the end. ;_;

Back