Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

So i'm really digging Setsuka in this game. She still has her standard stuff from SCIV, and i'm gonna need time to adjust to her new tools.

I think the main thing that irks me about her in this game is her idle standing animation. That looks very awkward and just plain bad. Especially if she's wearing her SCIV costume. Maybe it's because i'm used to how she was in SCIV and it's just a matter of time, but it really is odd looking.

On the other hand, i absolutely love her new taunt lol. The old one was kinda cheesy and childish and didn't really fit her much i think. And obviously her costume is really pretty, although i wish i could color the snow flakes on the lower part of her kimono.

I enjoyed her story mode a lot as well. I don't know why they said this was the longest story mode, i felt like Hilde's was longer. It kind of ended abruptly too. I'd love to see a continuation. I wouldn't mind paying for that either. But if we don't get anything like that, she definitely has her story objectives for SCVII.

Wow, thanks for that in depth analysis, but I think you took my musing a little too seriously!
Fair enough. :)

While I wasnt suggesting some grand conspiracy orchestrated by the illuminati, it's true that game companies push the boundaries ever more in terms of exploiting their fan bases - it doesn't have to be a criminal conspiracy to happen. Once upon a time they released full games without the need for DLC at all, and we've all seen that go from bad to worse - who's to say how far they'll go. I don't think anyone can blame my cynical remarks, even if they weren't wholehearted.
Well, but you're comparing apples and oranges there: one may find new sales models onerous*, but there's nothing illegal about any of that: that;'s the license we all agreed to when we paid for the season pass. However, employees at two companies collaborating to create a fake technical bug with the express intent of leveraging players into buying a product they had already paid for a second time would create real criminal liability under the laws of the U.S., Japan, U.K., and most other markets where PSN operates.

Put otherwise, one is a deal that some feel is less sweet than we used to get, but which we all nevertheless agreed to when we bought our license for the game, and the other scenario is fraud to secure new sales. And a particularly bad kind of fraud for a company based in the U.S. since, since wire fraud lands one straight in the sphere of the federal authorities (not that they wouldn't be involved in a case like this regardless). So given all the consequences, there's just no real possibility anybody positioned at a level to take such actions at either Namco or Sony (let alone both) could ever think they could get away with that or that trying to launch such a criminal conspiracy would end with anything but disastrous consequences for the company and for them personally.

You have to understand, the costs of game production for major titles have multiplied many times over in the two and half decades that Soulcalibur (for example) has been around, while simultaneously, the price the publisher can ask for the core game has remained static. And the volume of sales for games in the fighting genre has not kept pace to compensate for those impossible profit margins (in fact, the genre has been in decline for many years now, as a market share matter when compared against other genres). That leaves the developers and publishers with two realistic options: start turning out increasingly smaller games with stingier content, or find a way to price and produce that content in a fashion where they can still turn a modest profit.

Season passes not only allow the company to do this and stay in the market producing games with modern levels of production value and of similar size (or even larger) than past titles, they also allow said companies to get their profit from the core game which can then be re-invested back into a chain of DLC releases--a chain that can be sustained or tapered off as both demand for the product and the company's other obligations (production and fiscal) allow. It's a great system that serves both the consumer and producer and its the only way we can continue to get games like Soulcalibur without their rosters and other content shrinking to a fraction of what they once were because of the economic reality of modern game development.

And the developers/publishers have been trying to get us here for about a decade, but most gamers/consumers of games (the majority of whom don't know much about how the products they enjoy are produced) only perceive that they are getting "less" and arrive at the ill-informed opinion that this is merely because companies are getting greedier and greedier. Which as axioms go, this is sometimes reliable, but the truth is that most games companies that have stayed in the fighting genre do so /despite/ diminishing returns--either because it is a part of what they are known for (or all they are known for) or because it is a part of their company culture. But you can't get blood from a stone, and most companies and most franchises (not all, but most) cannot afford to keep delivering major titles without beginning to serialize at least some of the content that ultimately gets added tot he game.

Our choice as consumers is to either embrace this trend and pay a little more over a longer period, or just not get that content that we would have gotten in the season pass. One of the great things about DLC, is that it allows the company to offer both options to the consumer: those who can't see their way past paying more than the pricepoint for the core game can get that, and those who want a more robust roster and experience can pay a little extra for that. Personally, given the epic amount play I get out of a Soulcalibur game, I find the $90 I have spent on SCVI to be a pretty damn amazing cost-value exchange. For the longest time, most consumers in this industry were so pissy about these new sales models that they were shooting all of us collectively in our own foot, forcing incomplete games to be produced (hello, SCV), because very few gamers were willing to do the multiple season pass thing.

Now to be fair, part of this is because there were some truly bullshit practices being embraced by companies about ten or twelve years back when DLC was first becoming a thing: some companies got greedy and were engaging in some truly exploitative practices with the way games were packaged and consumed. So to some degree, this Frankenstein's Monster that is the modern, highly entitled gamer-consumer base is a problem the industry created for itself. The consumer now has their guard up and since we are talking about gamers, we are talking about a group of quasi-tech-saavy people who now know how to throw their weight around online when they don't like something.

But not at all companies are cut from the same cloth when it comes to BS practices, and many of the worst practices are now poison pills for companies (though that won't stop certain companies from pushing the envelope--we all know who these guys are, I think: rhymes with D.A., Clactinision..). So speaking of equilibrium, now is the time for reasonable producers and reasonable consumers to get on the same page--which is thankfully slowly happening--note that multiple season passes started becoming ubiquitous just a few years ago. Anyway, again, for my money, the deal that Namco is offering us for SCVI--that is, the price we pay for the core game plus the season passes, seems to me to be more than reasonable. And I guaruntee you, they are not making off like bandits: they probably have a similar or smaller profit-per unit figure to what they have always had. Amongst producers of fighters, I think only Capcom is likely making money hand over fist right now: they get to ask for that same industry standard price for Street Fighter products, but they also sell at much higher volume. They've really landed in a charmed position.

I don't like how the dude is like "I updated the character tags" as if he was some system admin, when in reality, its just an open suggestion for the sake of consistency. I usually assume the worse of people who post on twitter.

Thats all
Yeah his phrasing seems a little self-important but it's a decent suggestion so eh. Whatever makes people happy.

Think you mistook my tone there, understandably. I believe it's a good idea for getting information to those who want it in a more easily accessible manner and kudos to him for doing it. Just agreeing with WuHT that the phrasing makes it seem like it was some particular effort.

Also I do use Twitter, and respectfully couldn't give a shit what Kayane does or doesn't do.

Last edited:
I mean, you guys can dislike of course, but the twitter users love it the ideia, as you know we could search SC and see everything, but the #HASHTAG is good way to see what we really want, even Okubo himself retweeted this. Maybe as I overdramatic because I know him and I don't think he did this for fame. He is not famous like Kayane, Keev or PartyWolf, but he is still a competitor. :sc5lei1:

and respectfully couldn't give a shit what Kayane does or doesn't do.
Imagine what you guys say about me in DM, now I'm sad.
1531838117549-Screen-Shot-2018-07-17-at-103501-AM.png

I mean, you guys can dislike of course, but the twitter users love it the ideia, as you know we could search SC and see everything, but the #HASHTAG is good way to see what we really want, even Okubo himself retweeted this. Maybe as I overdramatic because I know him and I don't think he did this for fame. He is not famous like Kayane, Keev or PartyWolf, but he is still a competitor. :sc5lei1:
I didn't mean to suggest he was doing it for fame, apologies if that's the impression I gave.
To re-iterate, having character specific hashtags to sort the wheat from the chaff is a great idea and GJ on him for sorting that. Also I don't really get this idea of putting stock into known-named players just because of who they are. Celebrity culture is kinda whack imo.

So i'm really digging Setsuka in this game. She still has her standard stuff from SCIV, and i'm gonna need time to adjust to her new tools.

I think the main thing that irks me about her in this game is her idle standing animation. That looks very awkward and just plain bad. Especially if she's wearing her SCIV costume. Maybe it's because i'm used to how she was in SCIV and it's just a matter of time, but it really is odd looking.

On the other hand, i absolutely love her new taunt lol. The old one was kinda cheesy and childish and didn't really fit her much i think. And obviously her costume is really pretty, although i wish i could color the snow flakes on the lower part of her kimono.

I enjoyed her story mode a lot as well. I don't know why they said this was the longest story mode, i felt like Hilde's was longer. It kind of ended abruptly too. I'd love to see a continuation. I wouldn't mind paying for that either. But if we don't get anything like that, she definitely has her story objectives for SCVII.
They should make it possible to choose idle animation for certain characters. Nightmare and Raphael still have their old idle as part of their animation file, but it's there unused. I bet Setsuka is the same thing. Would be nice if we could choose which one is used when customizing the character.

Setsuka is a blast in this game but her CE sucks.

Liked the SC4 one much better without the unnecessary cinematics and she hits from the front, not from the back which isn't like Setsuka's warrior character.

I just want to be able to use different quotes and win poses with different buttons like the good old days. It’s weird when my main CAS somehow gets telekinesis with his weapons and does an evil laugh while saying something else.

Young Tactician is a better voice for him than Cold Assassin’s cancer stick voice anyways.

Liked the SC4 one much better without the unnecessary cinematics and she hits from the front, not from the back which isn't like Setsuka's warrior character.
It sounds like you just want the jiggle back

but in all seriousness, I do appreciate how it is simply different (you get a 2D background) and you get to see the confused look of your victim before she stabs them in the back which is super rewarding

They should make it possible to choose idle animation for certain characters. Nightmare and Raphael still have their old idle as part of their animation file, but it's there unused. I bet Setsuka is the same thing. Would be nice if we could choose which one is used when customizing the character.
have you ever talked to the dev's about this over twitter ? Curious to see their reasoning to keep the newer SC3+ raphael idle animation despite the game being set before SC2

Yo Setsuka, I’m really happy for you, I’mma let you finish, but Alpha Patroklos had one of the best CEs of all time. ONE OF THE BEST CES OF ALL TIME!

-shrugs, drops the mic, and walks off-

Back