Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

some thoughts on SC7

Hypothetically, if the starting cast includes

1) Mitsurugi
2) Long Sword User
3) Hwang

How would you describe/differentiate these sword wielders ?
They all sort of fall in the jack-of-all trades characters with a sword sized between the great swords and the short swords.

Mitsurugi: Slightly more offensively based, master of high risk high reward 50/50 mixups
Long Sword: Slightly more defensive with parries and pokes
Hwang: most central of jack-of-all-trades

It's pretty impressive that Azwel has adopted these moves and has made all of them look like his own. I know Azwel has been divisive with some people but I honestly love his design and weapon summoning, IMO he's been the best new comer since Hilde.

We have confirmed that the following issues are occurring due to the battle changes in Ver. 2.25. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but please wait for further information regarding our response.
- Battle adjustment list for Ver. 2.25: Voldo's "Throat Slasher" was incorrect command input. And the adjustment for Taki's "Stalker Drop" was also applied to "Wind Sealing Descent", but it was left out of the description.
- Geralt: The hurt box for "Soul Charge", "Critical Edge", and "Fleet Footwork" has been incorrectly changed, resulting in lower defensive performance than expected. - Taki: Taki may ring out due to the change in animation of "Stalker Drop" and "Wind Sealing Descent".
Other unexpected behaviors will be confirmed and modified in due course. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for your continued support.
[1]

some thoughts on SC7

Hypothetically, if the starting cast includes

1) Mitsurugi
2) Long Sword User
3) Hwang

How would you describe/differentiate these sword wielders ?
They all sort of fall in the jack-of-all trades characters with a sword sized between the great swords and the short swords.

Mitsurugi: Slightly more offensively based, master of high risk high reward 50/50 mixups
Long Sword: Slightly more defensive with parries and pokes
Hwang: most central of jack-of-all-trades
I interpret this question as asking about aesthetics and stylistic differences translated into gameplay:

Mitsurugi: 'Traditional' calibur
Long Sword: I like the idea of parries, but in general, more 'committed' swinging moves i.e. lunges, swings, big steps forward with good range. Short range panic moves to be quick and defensive, but highly punishable.
Hwang: I don't actually know much about hwang/YS, but given how they swing their swords I'd imagine strong strings and good movement.

I interpret this question as asking about aesthetics and stylistic differences translated into gameplay:

Mitsurugi: 'Traditional' calibur
Long Sword: I like the idea of parries, but in general, more 'committed' swinging moves i.e. lunges, swings, big steps forward with good range. Short range panic moves to be quick and defensive, but highly punishable.
Hwang: I don't actually know much about hwang/YS, but given how they swing their swords I'd imagine strong strings and good movement.
One of the reasons I asked is because when SC7 gets released, a common question would be "who is the best character to learn with" and you'd want to recommend a jack of all trades.
I'm crossing my fingers for a long sword user, and just wanted to know if people foresee the moveset to be a beginner friendly one or it'll end up with all sort of crazy sub-mechanics.
Newcomers would then ask "how are they different" and we can speculate how the devs would intend this to be

Last edited:
Personally, I often used brave edges more often, and while soul charge is awesome, I only really remember to use soul charge when I play Taki. Soul charge is a seriously useful tool, but in a way, I wish we just had both. It'd make it more in depth thinking about "would soul charge or brave edge be a better option in this situation?" Which is something I think could make it more interesting especially if people still want to keep it flashy, which looks like the direction we are going in. While we might not liek flashy, it does look good when you aren't playing, as a more casual observer, which definitely does make it a bit more appealing.

Soul charge gives a lot if options and is sometimes necessary to stop a game from ending in timeout. The options that soul charge gives really changes the flow of the offense and forces the opponent into an offensive playstyle or risk taking chip damage, or worse, eating a soul charged mixup, 50/50 or maybe even a throw/CE that has been powered up because of SC.

On the other hand, brave edges give a variety of offensive combo extenders, enders and even change how some attacks work, in some cases. I feel as if they were more situational in a few ways, but also more ubiquitous. It did mean that some characters lacked key moves or options, should their meter be lacking. They were often more simple to pull off correctly though. They were more consistent. I'm not going to go into frames and stuff, it's not my strong suit and someone else can do it better. But in general it was hit or miss. With soul charge, it's a case of you have a chance to completely flip the momentum, or maybe you have a chance to slow pressure with a "get off me". In some cases I've seen a soul charge interrupt a CE. But if you don't capitalise on the SC, you've pointlessly burnt a meter for no reason, and it can be actively detrimental for kilik should he not use his sc cancel.

I guess, all in all, I really feel as if having both would be awesome, even if it would start getting a bit awkward (running out of buttons on a controller for one). But if I had to choose one, soul charge would sty because SC has the higher risk reward, making the game a lot more exciting whilst also adding a layer of depth that isn't quite as consistently good as many brave edges are.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Good point RE: some characters being incomplete without meter for stuff like combo enders. I think this could've been abated if characters were made 'complete' from the beginning and the Brave Edge stuff was exclusively OP.

But hey, maybe it'd actually be mega-bad in the end; too many situations with mental-frames :| Like, will they/won't they use the super OP Brave Edge in this situation or not..

Back