Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Groh should have been a girl. That way at least we would have gotten 1 new male and 1 new female. Also, I wish they would add all these to the game. Is this concept art on their official website also? Just would like it in one place so I don't have to dig through tweets.
its from the artist's direct twitter:

the gender quota to me isn't that important since there is CAS available.
Especially in Groh's case , since in the storyline there are Aval cronies and they're pretty much blonde groh, girl groh and tanned groh.

Whats disappointing with Groh's design if you look into it
• Its a mish-mash of arthurian knight mythology + nordic appearance (and questionable attempt at that)
• He ends up being a super-anime character which is so over-the-top that it makes you forget about the first point(s).

He's not some alternate universe version of the legendary knights of the Round Table.
He's not a scandinavian inspired historical warrior
He's some fantasy/anime character with anachronistic accouterments

Feels like too many chefs in the kitchen with this one, they couldn't focus and refine on any one concept.
If you compare him to someone like Hilde, it seems like Hilde had a defined vision and they kept her design with that singular direction in mind.

Last edited:
He's not some alternate universe version of the legendary knights of the Round Table.

What's funny about this point is that the edited image I did conveys some other worldly knight which would have been fine choice for this legendary creed. Again I can't believe they threw out that design for the one we got in game. At least Azwel's Druid-esque design turned out great that is more representative of the Arthurian legend as he comes across as a corrupted Merlin.

Groh should have been a girl. That way at least we would have gotten 1 new male and 1 new female. Also, I wish they would add all these to the game. Is this concept art on their official website also? Just would like it in one place so I don't have to dig through tweets.
No thanks. DLC included, this game has enough waifus.

Bar Hilde, the female cast are either big-titty jiggling caricatures or disturbing lolis. Not saying that the male cast aren't sexualised too, but I think seeing female-Groh's titties bouncing around the place when he teleports or his malfested SC armour break stripping him nude would detract too much from the character's serious role in the lore.

And that's just what the dev's would do if he was female, they can't help themselves.

What's funny about this point is that the edited image I did conveys some other worldly knight which would have been fine choice for this legendary creed. Again I can't believe they threw out that design for the one we got in game. At least Azwel's Druid-esque design turned out great that is more representative of the Arthurian legend as he comes across as a corrupted Merlin.
thats actually a good way to put Azwel.
Deranged Thespian Merlin

I'm not sure they actually had concrete plans for Azwel at the time they were initially designing Groh.
He seems to be cobbled together from the original draft concept art and slowly tweaked into a moveset with magically generated triple weapon forms. Even the June 2020 concept art of Azwel doesn't convey his maniacal nature and instead looks more cold/stern.
Groh on the other hand seems to always consistently been a double-blade sword wielder.

Not a knock on Hiroaki (he's a fantastic artist), but I'm not a fan of his designs.

Not a knock on Hiroaki (he's a fantastic artist), but I'm not a fan of his designs.

He's hit and miss for me, but I think that's the case with a lot of artists. I don't think the final design of Groh would have been his decision, whoever green lit it is seeing something in it that I'm not. I get the impression that they wanted Groh to be some shadowy assassin character that would stand out aesthetically to the other cast. They succeeded, but came at the cost of him looking like a Blazeblue reject. Harsh words, but when you consider the other cool as fuck winter knight design, it's hard not to be a little miffed at this decision. Also I'm still scratching my head of the importance of his gauntlet, I don't think it's ever explained how it's supposed to suppress malfestation. Seems like a needless detail, especially considering Raphael has been given a liquid suppressant.

Last edited:
Anyone checked on whether there’s been any update to the Steam files recently? That’s usually our first indication of an imminent DLC release.

Anyone checked on whether there’s been any update to the Steam files recently? That’s usually our first indication of an imminent DLC release.
I check it fairly regularly. Pretty slow the past week after a lot of activity in previous weeks. Could be that they're in a pretty good place with the next patch. Or could be a lul before a final bug squashing push.

No change to the DLC yet, but I'd expect it fairly soon if they're aiming for a release close to the last online event.

Groh should have been a girl. That way at least we would have gotten 1 new male and 1 new female.
I like Groh the way he is, also we really don't need gender quotas to stifle creativity here, leave that to western developers.
...but I think seeing female-Groh's titties bouncing around the place when he teleports or his malfested SC armour break stripping him nude...
Ok, now I'm starting to have second thoughts Kappa.

Who else on the roster has Hiroaki designed costumes for? I never paid much attention to the specific artists, but now I am noticing how much their interpretations can impact the character's looks after all...

Edit: 0h, so far, I notice he designed Seung Mina's underb00b costume for this game.

Who else on the roster has Hiroaki designed costumes for? I never paid much attention to the specific artists, but now I am noticing how much their interpretations can impact the character's looks after all...

Edit: 0h, so far, I notice he designed Seung Mina's underb00b costume for this game.

Azwel / Groh / Seong Mina for sure
Yoshitmitsu based on the art (imo his strongest design, but yoshimitsu is supposed to have the wacky factor dialed up to 11)

I’ll never understand what they were doing when designing Groh. It feels like they just didn’t know what to do with him by the time they were finishing him up. Seeing the concept art for Groh has had me intrigued but also disappointed with him even further. I’ve tried to like Groh, but I just couldn’t do it.

Remember when I just said this yesterday?

No change to the DLC yet, but I'd expect it fairly soon if they're aiming for a release close to the last online event.

They literally updated the DLCs 2 hours after my post:

Screenshot 2020-11-20 065014.png

Looks like we're on for a post EU event release.

Back