Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Yeah, also many people consider it to this the best 3D fighting game ever, or simply the best fighting game ever, and i mean many many people think that, i came across youtube or facebook comments in the past that says it and had a bunch of likes.

You might find that some of these people are jumping on the band wagon, only like it because of Link, or they haven't played any of the other entries. That's my observations when reading comments over time. You'd be surprised how many people I've seen mention that SC2 single player content is the best they've ever played, yet if you dig deeper you will find they haven't played SC3's single player content. What I think SC2 did in comparison to other entries is that it was released at the right places at the right time, much like the Gameboy was. SC2 is a fantastic game, but I largely feel it's overrated these days. SC6 has what I like about SC2 that was missing with later entries and that's the fast momentum.

I will say that I went back to SC2HD recently and it felt...a tad thin. Maybe some people like the simplicity, but SC6 feels so much more fleshed out in terms of attack options for me. SC2 was a flash in the pan, but it's definitely dated at this point.

I hope SC6 isn't done, and we can still get some cool improvements (I don't understand why Team Battle is limited to Chronicle and Libra) and maybe a couple more iconic stages (cough Money Pit cough Valentine Mansion). Make Reversal Edge cost half a meter to use.

I think what makes SC2 so great is its accessibility - so easy and fun to just pick up and play. Solid, balanced roster and plenty of single player content go a long way too.

I also find it more visually appealing than SC3 even though I can see how SC3 has more detail and is probably an improvement from a technical standpoint. But the way SC2 looks just has something over SC3 which I’ve never been quite able to put into words...don’t know if anyone feels the same and knows what I mean?

I also find it more visually appealing than SC3 even though I can see how SC3 has more detail and is probably an improvement from a technical standpoint. But the way SC2 looks just has something over SC3 which I’ve never been quite able to put into words...don’t know if anyone feels the same and knows what I mean?
I always felt that visually, even though SC2 has a slightly less detailed look because it came out earlier in the PS2's and other consoles' age, it looks like whoever worked on the graphics did their best to make it look as polished as possible despite limitations. Not that SC3 doesn't look polished as well, but there's something about the presentation of SC2 visually that looked like a lot of thought went into it.
Only exception would be the super derpy, pitiful little splash that happens when your characters gets RO'd and falls into water Kappa That was just blah.

SC2's character models were a touch more detailed, I believe. SC3 sacrificed a little of that to spread the quality out to make better-looking stages than SC2 while maintaining character models that were still damn near as good.

But that's my best guess. Obviously in a fighting game you're looking at the characters most of all, so perhaps you subconsciously registered this difference.

SC2 is a really colourful game while SC3 got a much more desaturated gray and brown look which was all the rage in 2000s.

When it comes to SC2 it had both quality and quantity inside of the game. It didn’t really feel like anything was overstepping the other.

Part of me wonders if SC3 would have been able to top SC2 if it was multi platform and it had all the pros and none of the cons of both the Vanilla and Arcade Edition.

D55F9070-59C2-48F1-A4C0-822FCD63A18C.png

God I’m so glad Hwang is back

edit: also to compare old uggo raph to new and slightly improved.
Screenshot (13).png

Last edited:
Completely, the only difference is that he stopped being malfested so his skin and eye colors returned to normal. There is a small difference in the lips almost imperceptible. I think Amy had more visible changes than he did. :sc4amy1:
If anything, he’s probably the model that has changed the least.

These days this video appeared in my yt recommendations. I would like the author to do it in comparison to SC 5 as well, but I believe he opted for SC 4 due to the fact that most female characters are absent from SC 5.

These days this video appeared in my yt recommendations. I would like the author to do it in comparison to SC 5 as well, but I believe he opted for SC 4 due to the fact that most female characters are absent from SC 5.
Good video.

• Setsuka, Xianghua, Ivy have pretty significant facial structure changes. I do like how the softer lighting in SC6 (plus the less pronounced saturation around the eyes/lips) looks for most characters.

• I wasn't aware of how much more rigid Amy's neutral stance in SC6 has become compared to SC4.

• Whats disappointing to me is that the quality of the weapon models has not improved at all. Character's finger nails are still sort of "painted on".

• Lastly, you can tell which characters have a consistent color palette design and identity, and which ones Project Soul keeps tweaking around.

Good video.

• Setsuka, Xianghua, Ivy have pretty significant facial structure changes. I do like how the softer lighting in SC6 (plus the less pronounced saturation around the eyes/lips) looks for most characters.

• I wasn't aware of how much more rigid Amy's neutral stance in SC6 has become compared to SC4.

• Whats disappointing to me is that the quality of the weapon models has not improved at all. Character's finger nails are still sort of "painted on".

• Lastly, you can tell which characters have a consistent color palette design and identity, and which ones Project Soul keeps tweaking around.
you have probably already seen this one as well.

Seeing the comparisons of SC4 and SC5 vs SC6 have made me appreciate the small or big changes they have made to the character models. While obviously SC6 is not a massive leap in graphical quality or fidelity I do think the characters look their best in SC6 (though you can argue that maybe some characters had better outfits/designs in different games)

One thing that I like is how cute sophitia looks with her smile. Compared to the kinda dead face she has in SC4 and SC5 elysium. The faces are a lot better in sc6 thats for sure! Maybe they aren't a big improvement but something about how they look in sc6 feels more "alive".

I, likely for one, certainly support at least the “deadness” that Sophitia had as SC5 Ely. Same with Viola if people think Amy was totally the same.
I’m actually just much more frustrated with likely unnecessary/unimportant topics and things that I likely can’t ever get to occur within the SC gaming future.
• Firstly, and it’s likely just me again, but I still reeeeally highly believed that Viola should have a DLC placement in this game. ESPECIALLY with or without Amy, ‘cause this time-traveling sh** is at LEAST an interesting character insertion to me, if anyone.

• Secondly, a character I personally miss that I’ve waited to see with their own style and an even nicer backstory explanation: Ashlotte. Plus, that bitch was gorgeous — in my humble opinion, the most so of the four artist contributions — and I KNOW she wasn’t supposed to walk around the stages lookin’ like like she was actually a f**kin’ walrus.

• Lastly just random stuff because, in honesty, I think I’m completely and utterly up with my admission that I don’t like at least 90 percent of Soulcalibur VI as a game anymore. A harshly unattractive combination of character balance, ranking style decisions, new gameplay additions, single-player content, networking issues and various other features (and/or lacks thereof) just have me outright disappointed and bored as f**k.

@KALAFINA if its any consolation, Viola is the only character from SCV that has a decent chance of being DLC in the future
OH . . . Well then, that’s nice at least, as at this two-plus-year point I just thought she was considered something thrown out to be completely redone until these demons will finally announce and release a “VII”.
Hell, I’m still shaken that we’re actually over two years . . . and also unimportant but truly lastly, I adore the 2B style (and for me I don’t mean or imply sexually in any manner, I’m completely talking her fighting, fashion, attitude, and whatnot) and REALLY hope that out of any guests that P.S. might EVER decide to keep or brands that that they might ever repeat, it’s going to hopefully be a NieR thing. Actually, let me just say the NieR style in general, it doesn’t even need to be 2B again.

Last edited:
I wouldnt expect anything from s3. You would think after those two "amazing" season of characters they would run out of bad options and eventually put in the interesting characters. But they will find some way to fuck it up.

Back