Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I just hope ZWEI or Viola returns so that the SCV fanboys can finally be satisfied with their scraps. Maybe one day we’ll get the incest twins in some form too

Why ruin the fun, tho? Witnessing their cries is as satisfying as it gets.
I am hoping ZWEI or Viola blocks or delays Yunseong’s return so I can enjoy the cries of his evil mafia fan girls for as long as I can.

I feel bad for the nice yun fans though 😩

it’s a shame COVID had to sabotage season 3. As great as SCVI has been it’s like soulcalibur can never really catch a true 100% win. There’s always something holding it down in someway like Bamco/harada/COVID etc.

though if the ZWEI or Viola don’t return at least the SCV fan salt will be satisfying too.

maybe if they make yun-seong a top tier character i can enjoy him.

Last edited:
I just hope ZWEI or Viola returns so that the SCV fanboys can finally be satisfied with their scraps. Maybe one day we’ll get the incest twins in some form too
If ZWEI or Viola don’t return in SCVI or the next game I personally won’t shed a tear over it. I’d be disappointed maybe but not upset. I still think they’re both salvageable characters even if they’re both from a game that isn’t the most popular one out there. Also, I wouldn’t call anyone who likes the characters “SCV fanboys!”

But if we never see Aeon/Lizardman again, then I’ll riot lol.
It’s possible, they managed to fix up Talim’s awfulness from 3 and 4 to the point that several pro players have considered her top tier, though I think high mid tier is more accurate.
Pretty much every character that had more than one bad day up to SCVI got fixed. Raphael got fixed up, Mina especially got fixed, Talim did, etc…

Now if they can stop trying to murder Voldo’s oki every patch I’d be way happier.

we all know why ZWEI has his fans despite being an incomplete mess of a character...

2A082FB8-D9CC-4BD7-819D-34A0829A4D7A.jpeg

who knew that leaving pants unzipped would keep a character relevant!? Yun’s redesign in SC7 should follow this trend

I just don't see why they would bring back Viola.
Really, you don't? Like, how about the fact that she actually seems to be, from evidence both impressionistic and what little empirical info we have on the subject, the most popular character introduced in SCV? Which not everyone feels is an altogether awful game, especially among the esports community? Or the fact that her style is actually fascinatingly designed enough that even someone like me, who has spent the last fifteen years bemoaning (some would say bitching and moaning about) the trend of devs eschewing traditional real-world weapons arts for anime magic nonsense--even a noisy crumudgeon like I had to admit this time it was actually pretty damn cool, from and aesthetic and gameplay perspective (minus some reasonable gripes about balance and bugs).

Or how about the fact that, presuming the senior creative development team has some degree of continuity for the next game (probable but not certain), we are talking about a group of people here who have clearly cast a wide net on their attempt to recapture the previous events, fixtures and personalities of the previous extended lore, so why would we not expect such a significant player as Viola to be included in that? I mean the list goes on: there's no shortage of reasons why we shouldn't expect Viola to return at some point. It makes no sense that they would indefinetly shut themselves off from a potential source of fan service via roster selection indefinitely. The same is probably true of most of the SCV cast to varying degrees, but the principle arguments are probably stronger for Viola than any other character exclusively appearing in SCV to date.

Amy's story chronicle feels like it's a sign that Amy wouldn't turn into that again.
That was your take-away from them heavily leaning into imagery of Amy being trapped inside a crystal ball? That they weren't going to be bringing back Viola? I don't know man, I don't want to say that you absolutely have some serious confirmation bias going on there, but...Kappa

Either come up with a brand new interesting character or give it to someone like Acht, who is also interesting.
That's just a much more complicated way of doing the same thing, when they are much more likely to lean into an existing design with a built-in fanbase. And it is usually the overwhelmingly attractive option for a design team to lean into legacy lore to propel their narrative forward. Which, good lord, if ever there was a creative team who took that maybe to excess, you'd be hard pressed to find finer contenders for that title than present-day Project Soul! That team are not going to bootstrap some background tertiary character, slap her together Franken-design style with another already fairly popular character's moveset and then throw her into the story willy-nilly.

Ok...let me rephrase: they won't do that unless there is another title with a rushed production timeline and slash-rate budget, because that's the exactly the type of questionable roster decision that was clearly made early in design under those circumstances, that tragically never got re-assessed and which lead to such a mixed reception for SCV, which is exactly the model you seem to think is the one that most needs to be avoided.

Additionally, Project Soul are smart enough to avoid a conundrum where they take an already mixed audience for a character, where some love her and some think she's a needless and inferior replacement...and transform that into a situation where the same group of people is now divided by whether Viola is the knock-off or Acht (or whoever) is. ;) Now you've got first- and second-generation differences of opinion over the level of pointlessness of these characters--and at that point the developer would be actively making it more of a mathematical certainty that fewer and fewer people are totally on board for what you are doing with these characters.

Sorry my friend, but taking all of the evidence together, Viola is pretty likely to be a "when" question, not one of "if".

Last edited:
I just want them to start working on SC7 and that it will have rollback and no creation character, just SOUL CALIBUR CHARACTERS.

I've been playing GG Strive since 4 days, it's my 1st GG game and i'm having a bless with this game. I hope Bamco will make sure that netcode of SC7 and Tekken 8 will be at least at the level of GG Strive's Netcode.

I just want them to start working on SC7 and that it will have rollback and no creation character, just SOUL CALIBUR CHARACTERS.

I've been playing GG Strive since 4 days, it's my 1st GG game and i'm having a bless with this game. I hope Bamco will make sure that netcode of SC7 and Tekken 8 will be at least at the level of GG Strive's Netcode.
You have a better chance at winning the lottery. but i also want them start working on SC7 with a better online experience. playing SC5 online felt more fun / active. it's hard to explain.

You have a better chance at winning the lottery. but i also want them start working on SC7 with a better online experience. playing SC5 online felt more fun / active. it's hard to explain.
You must keep hoping, i think that it's time for devs to take more seriousely the online exprience in online fighting games, i think by now each new fighting game coming should be backlash as hell if it's not as good as GG Strive when it comes netplay.

Yup same, my online experience was overall better on SCV.

Why rush when we know it would kill the franchise right after it gained momentum again. I don't expect SC7 to be available until the mid life of the 9th gen consoles. In other words, don't expect SC7 until another 3 to 4 years.
Oh no i'm not asking for rush, i want them to take their time but also hope SC7 is already in their mind.

Oh no i'm not asking for rush, i want them to take their time but also hope SC7 is already in their mind.
I'm sure it is, but for pretty much decades now, Namco has had a pretty successful model with the following pattern: lead development for their 3D fighters on a new piece of hardware with their flagship fighter property, Tekken, dumping money and talent in to the process to overcome the learning/development curve; drop said Tekken game a decent bit of time into that new generation; once the Tekken project is released and selling well, reconstitute Project Soul (remember, it is an ad-hoc team they put together for each game in the series, not a standing internal studio) by porting over key development personnel and the experience they garnered for the new consoles through development on the Tekken title, allowing for a decent game to be built on a more modest and predictable budget.

Now, just because it has been done this way for a long time doesn't mean the model can't change--indeed, the changeover to the continuing support model of development has clearly stretched out and finessed the particulars of these timelines a bit. But I'd say Namco probably view this as a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of situation. So, considering this cycle, and increasing development times in the industry in general, and the drop date of SCVI, I think Sytus is probably right on the money here, or close to it: I think you are looking at 4 years minimum here before we see SCVII.

That's never going to happen, and you really shouldn't want it to: being one of the more unique customization features of any fighter, it helps ship units and justifies a larger budget than SC titles would ever otherwise receive in the current circumstances. Wishing it away would be cutting off your nose to spite your face: who cares if other players receive a feature you don't like, if the result is a bigger game for everyone, including enhanced budget and features for aspects you do care about? Although, from context, I gather maybe what you were trying to say is that you just don't want them in online multiplayer? If so, meh: I don't need them there, but I find the complaints about the impact they have on competitive play exaggerated to say the least. But if they were removed from ranked, I wouldn't shed tears.

Namco has had a pretty successful model with the following pattern: lead development for their 3D fighters on a new piece of hardware with their flagship fighter property, Tekken, dumping money and talent in to the process to overcome the learning/development curve; drop said Tekken game a decent bit of time into that new generation; once the Tekken project is released and selling well, reconstitute Project Soul (remember, it is an ad-hoc team they put together for each game in the series, not a standing internal studio) by porting over key development personnel and the experience they garnered for the new consoles through development on the Tekken title, allowing for a decent game to be built on a more modest and predictable budget.
Pretty much this.

I'm sure it is, but for pretty much decades now, Namco has had a pretty successful model with the following pattern: lead development for their 3D fighters on a new piece of hardware with their flagship fighter property, Tekken, dumping money and talent in to the process to overcome the learning/development curve; drop said Tekken game a decent bit of time into that new generation; once the Tekken project is released and selling well, reconstitute Project Soul (remember, it is an ad-hoc team they put together for each game in the series, not a standing internal studio) by porting over key development personnel and the experience they garnered for the new consoles through development on the Tekken title, allowing for a decent game to be built on a more modest and predictable budget.

Now, just because it has been done this way for a long time doesn't mean the model can't change--indeed, the changeover to the continuing support model of development has clearly stretched out and finessed the particulars of these timelines a bit. But I'd say Namco probably view this as a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of situation. So, considering this cycle, and increasing development times in the industry in general, and the drop date of SCVI, I think Sytus is probably right on the money here, or close to it: I think you are looking at 4 years minimum here before we see SCVII.

That's never going to happen, and you really shouldn't want it to: being one of the more unique customization features of any fighter, it helps ship units and justifies a larger budget than SC titles would ever otherwise receive in the current circumstances. Wishing it away would be cutting off your nose to spite your face: who cares if other players receive a feature you don't like, if the result is a bigger game for everyone, including enhanced budget and features for aspects you do care about? Although, from context, I gather maybe what you were trying to say is that you just don't want them in online multiplayer? If so, meh: I don't need them there, but I find the complaints about the impact they have on competitive play exaggerated to say the least. But if they were removed from ranked, I wouldn't shed tears.
What? So I'm not allowed to hope for a feature that is a basic feature of every existing fighting game? and even the first SC games?

It's already weird enough to not have it in SC6, if SC7 won't have a proper place where only SC characters in online VS are allowed that will be a disaster in that case.

Back