Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'm sure it is, but for pretty much decades now, Namco has had a pretty successful model with the following pattern: lead development for their 3D fighters on a new piece of hardware with their flagship fighter property, Tekken, dumping money and talent in to the process to overcome the learning/development curve; drop said Tekken game a decent bit of time into that new generation; once the Tekken project is released and selling well, reconstitute Project Soul (remember, it is an ad-hoc team they put together for each game in the series, not a standing internal studio) by porting over key development personnel and the experience they garnered for the new consoles through development on the Tekken title, allowing for a decent game to be built on a more modest and predictable budget.

Now, just because it has been done this way for a long time doesn't mean the model can't change--indeed, the changeover to the continuing support model of development has clearly stretched out and finessed the particulars of these timelines a bit. But I'd say Namco probably view this as a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of situation. So, considering this cycle, and increasing development times in the industry in general, and the drop date of SCVI, I think Sytus is probably right on the money here, or close to it: I think you are looking at 4 years minimum here before we see SCVII.

That's never going to happen, and you really shouldn't want it to: being one of the more unique customization features of any fighter, it helps ship units and justifies a larger budget than SC titles would ever otherwise receive in the current circumstances. Wishing it away would be cutting off your nose to spite your face: who cares if other players receive a feature you don't like, if the result is a bigger game for everyone, including enhanced budget and features for aspects you do care about? Although, from context, I gather maybe what you were trying to say is that you just don't want them in online multiplayer? If so, meh: I don't need them there, but I find the complaints about the impact they have on competitive play exaggerated to say the least. But if they were removed from ranked, I wouldn't shed tears.
I’d be okay with the CaS online if it was restricted to Casual and Player Match lobbies in the future. At least this way people in Ranked are not being hassled by the inconsistencies from the size modifiers. That, or just the option to turn it off in Ranked would be fine.

Remember E3 2019 were no new info was released for Namco Fighters until EVO 2019.

• SCVI S2 Datamine from January 2019
  • Microsoft mentioning Janemba when GT Goku dropped
  • Tekken 7 Season 3 hints after the end of June 2019

All Namco fighters got update at EVO 2019. Also SFV didn't get content for 8 months after Kage released at the start of Season 4 till EVO 2019.

Remember E3 2019 were no new info was released for Namco Fighters until EVO 2019.

All Namco fighters got update at EVO 2019. Also SFV didn't get content for 8 months after Kage released at the start of Season 4 till EVO 2019.
What's your point?

I'm sure it is, but for pretty much decades now, Namco has had a pretty successful model with the following pattern: lead development for their 3D fighters on a new piece of hardware with their flagship fighter property, Tekken, dumping money and talent in to the process to overcome the learning/development curve; drop said Tekken game a decent bit of time into that new generation; once the Tekken project is released and selling well, reconstitute Project Soul (remember, it is an ad-hoc team they put together for each game in the series, not a standing internal studio) by porting over key development personnel and the experience they garnered for the new consoles through development on the Tekken title, allowing for a decent game to be built on a more modest and predictable budget.

Now, just because it has been done this way for a long time doesn't mean the model can't change--indeed, the changeover to the continuing support model of development has clearly stretched out and finessed the particulars of these timelines a bit. But I'd say Namco probably view this as a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of situation. So, considering this cycle, and increasing development times in the industry in general, and the drop date of SCVI, I think Sytus is probably right on the money here, or close to it: I think you are looking at 4 years minimum here before we see SCVII.

That's never going to happen, and you really shouldn't want it to: being one of the more unique customization features of any fighter, it helps ship units and justifies a larger budget than SC titles would ever otherwise receive in the current circumstances. Wishing it away would be cutting off your nose to spite your face: who cares if other players receive a feature you don't like, if the result is a bigger game for everyone, including enhanced budget and features for aspects you do care about? Although, from context, I gather maybe what you were trying to say is that you just don't want them in online multiplayer? If so, meh: I don't need them there, but I find the complaints about the impact they have on competitive play exaggerated to say the least. But if they were removed from ranked, I wouldn't shed tears.
I agree, getting rid of character creation entirely is probably the dumbest thing to do. if it wasn't obvious, i love Cas mode and i hope it stays in the soul series. now, the reason why i want them to start working on SC7 is because i'm just excited to see what they do next. assuming the budget will bigger this time, can you imagine the new designs / stages / characters / modes. i want all of that now LOL and as far as online, SC6 is lacking in that department. it's just, i wish we can have a Soul Calibur game that has a rich offline / online experience.

All Namco fighters got update at EVO 2019. Also SFV didn't get content for 8 months after Kage released at the start of Season 4 till EVO 2019.|
↓​
What's your point?
↓​
There are people who think season 3 will be shown at E3 even though Bandai Namco has a history of not doing that with their other fighting game IP's.

Yeah, but just to further clarify, there was nothing like the break in content (and news) before the previous reveals like there has been since the end of SCVI season 2. And a second season is always, by definition, more likely than a third. Frankly, all evidence taken together, any hope of a SCVI season 3 is already looking pretty dubious as a likely announcement at this moment in time, let alone after EVO 2021.

I agree, getting rid of character creation entirely is probably the dumbest thing to do. if it wasn't obvious, i love Cas mode and i hope it stays in the soul series. now, the reason why i want them to start working on SC7 is because i'm just excited to see what they do next. assuming the budget will bigger this time, can you imagine the new designs / stages / characters / modes. i want all of that now LOL and as far as online, SC6 is lacking in that department. it's just, i wish we can have a Soul Calibur game that has a rich offline / online experience.
The thing is, I think there is more than budget going on here: I think Project Soul also needs to resolve the identity crisis it has going on right now: so much was wasted on a pretty mediocre (but sprawling and complicated) suite of single player narrative content in this most recent game. I won't belabor my opinions on just why I think that was a misplaced focus with underwhelming results, since I only just did so at length a few pages back on this thread. And indeed, I do recognize that it might run slightly against the grain of what I was just saying (regarding the fact that we shouldn't always look at the selection of features suiting different segments of the player base as a zero-sum contest) to criticize this one aspect of SCVI so much.

But that caveat conceded, I just don't feel that when you take enormity of the resources that clearly went into Libra and the Soul Chronicles, that such an expenditure of significant resources from a limited budget could be regarded as in-proportion to the longterm benefit they confer to the average player--let alone the average hardcore player/longtime series supporter--or to the longevity of the game itself. The Soulcalibur game I want to see for SCVII would focus on core mechanics, moveset depth, gameplay balance, polish and debugging, netcode, richness in mode and feature selection, substantial roster size (from the base game and moving forward through continuing support/DLC), refocused stage/art/sound/music design, and robust creation content and editor depth. I pretty much want all of those aspects of the next game to take precedence over story content,--or at least to the extent that is possible in any mainstream game at this moment in time for the industry.

And you can consider that opinion double-endorsed by yours truly if the story modes are going to be another talking-head-a-palooza of the kind of cringe-inducingly bad variety of visual novel drowning us in goofy, self-serious lore that we got with VI. On the other hand, do I expect the story modes to be pushed to the back of the list of priorities in that fashion, by the SCVII Project Soul. No, unfortunately, I don't--not really. Especially if there ends up being a high degree of continuity in senior creative talent between SCVI and SCVII. But one can always dream!

Last edited:
whats in the box GIF

What's in the baaaahh-ox??

One of the best thing in sc6 is the characters stories episodes, Aka Soul Chronicles, specially the dlcs characters. No other modern fighting game nail it as as good, actually it's not even close. IMO Last time a fighting game nailed it was the iconic Tekken 4.

Back