Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

SF6 will have character creation but at least i trust Capcom to not put that shit everywhere in the game, like i'll be surprise even if it'll be in Casual online (i mean they still can, but for sure they will have filters in that case), let alone Rank online

Those are the only characters that will show up in your SF6 screen when i go online; and Capcom don't even deserve praise for it, it's just pure logic

4036678-sf6roster.jpg
Sorry SSfox, but I'm afraid those predictions don't seem to align with what Capcom actually seems to have planned, if the beta is any indication. While it seems ranked will be free of custom characters at least for the present, many of the rest of the modes of the game (including prominently the Battle Hub--a kind of similar idea to the global coliseo from SCV, where player matches are initiated from virtual cabinets) are being promoted heavily as tied to your custom character.

It's an interesting choice, I will grant you, given the editor in SFVI lets you edit not just a few details of the body frame but indeed to tweak it wildly, so I really am curious to see 1) what kind of technology they have for making the hitboxes detect appropriately, and 2) how this is going to impact overall balance. But in any event, it's a very different situation from Soulcalibur, where you can tweak characters within five height categories, but the balance of creation is in the equipment, object, and surface work--in SFVI, the equipment/attire options and tools seem limited for the present, but the body frame is highly customizable, creating much deeper complications for game play.

I do think the fuller lesson to be taken by Capcom embrassing this feature is that character customization is increasingly being seen as a default feature for fighters and that it's going to increasingly become integrated in more and more modes. Which makes sense: no major publisher-developer is going to leave the massive amount of revenue that these features can pull in sitting on the table. It's merely a question of which companies will find the right ways (including novel new technical tools as much as the right design choices) to implement these features without breaking play, particularly competitive play.

Whether Capcom can, as the company that is the leading developer of the genre if there is one, knock this out of the park from the outset, or if this game is going to be a kind of intermediary step, with custom content sequestered to gimmicky modes that no one takes seriously, I'm not sure. But I do think, based on their positioning in the industry, their resources, the way they have promoted these custom characters, and what we have seen through the beta so far, that the ultimate goal is to make custom fighters a core part of the experience eventually.

Last edited:
Sorry SSfox, but I'm afraid those predictions don't seem to align with what Capcom actually seems to have planned, if the beta is any indication. While it seems ranked will be free of custom characters at least for the present, many of the rest of the modes of the game (including prominently the Battle Hub--a kind of similar idea to the global coliseo from SCV, where player matches are initiated from virtual cabinets) are being promoted heavily as tied to your custom character.

It's an interesting choice, I will grant you, given the editor in SFVI lets you edit not just a few details of the body frame but indeed to tweak it wildly, so I really am curious to see 1) what kind of technology they have for making the hitboxes detect appropriately, and 2) how this is going to impact overall balance. But in any event, it's a very different situation from Soulcalibur, where you can tweak characters within five height categories, but the balance of creation is in the equipment, object, and surface work--in SFVI, the equipment/attire options and tools seem limited for the present, but the body frame is highly customizable, creating much deeper complications for game play.

I do think the fuller lesson to be taken by Capcom embrassing this feature is that character customization is increasingly being seen as a default feature for fighters and that it's going to increasingly become integrated in more and more modes. Which makes sense: no major publisher-developer is going to leave the massive amount of revenue that these features can pull in sitting on the table. It's merely a question of which companies will find the right ways (including novel new technical tools as much as the right design choices) to implement these features without breaking play, particularly competitive play.

Whether Capcom can, as the company that is the leading developer of the genre if there is one, knock this out of the park from the outset, or if this game is going to be a kind of intermediary step, with custom content sequestered to gimmicky modes that no one takes seriously, I'm not sure. But I do think, based on their positioning in the industry, their resources, the way they have promoted these custom characters, and what we have seen through the beta so far, that the ultimate goal is to make custom fighters a core part of the experience eventually.
LMAO!! I'm booking this up and we'll retalk about it when SF6 will get full release.

Remember, that's what i said: Chances Character creation will be in Rank are 0%, Chances it will be on some other online modes are still possible, but still see it as very very low, and even so, there will a "CaS" filter option for non Rank.

I miss playing SoulCalibur6. It's been a long while, and hearing about the game and seeing gameplays on youtube, made me wish I'd get back on it again. XD I don't have a console of my own yet. But I still have an Xbox so I can still play SC4 and 5.

I enjoyed watching the character trailers on you tube for SC6 and the art works where they each had their own
emblem in the background. I enjoyed them so much that I couldn't help but to edit together a video of my own
character in a similar manner just for fun. It's a little lengthy in comparison though because my character's
backstory involves that he can leap from one universe to another, so he's the same character in both the original
and new timeline. From a Cadet in the Grandall Empire, to a Conduit who can then seal astral fissures. :)
Even drew my OC with the Libra of Souls scales as his symbolic emblem. Coincidentally, I happen to be a Libra.
XD Pretty cool huh? XD I guess I was nerding out over the fact that they even chose such a title. LOL

Chances it will be on some other online modes are still possible, but still see it as very very low, and even so, there will a "CaS" filter option for non Rank.
I mean, there's no "very, very low" odds about it: they've promoted it, heavily, and for a while. It featured in the beta, prominently. And there's been no indication of any filter feature for it: on the contrary, they seem to want players to embrace these avatars as a default feature for some modes. Personally, I don't see what the harm of a filter would be, but I wouldn't count on it.

Anyway, on other (if related) topics, I do love the way the game looks, as compared to the last two generations of SF games: that over-of-over-the-top cartoony style wasn't the worst fit for the franchise, I will admit, but it still was never quite to my taste. This newest entry really seems to have threaded the needle between the super stylized legacy character designs and super high-fidelity graphics, and as a result, I don't think SF has ever looked better.

All that said, when I saw today's trailer, I couldn't help but feel like the design of Lily owes a bit much in respect to Talim that kinda goes substantially beyond even the usual generous "borrowing" we see in the genre, lol. I mean, wow, if you're going to go that close, you might as well try to license the original as a guest and do some cross-promotion!

I mean, there's no "very, very low" odds about it: they've promoted it, heavily, and for a while. It featured in the beta, prominently. And there's been no indication of any filter feature for it: on the contrary, they seem to want players to embrace these avatars as a default feature for some modes. Personally, I don't see what the harm of a filter would be, but I wouldn't count on it.

Anyway, on other (if related) topics, I do love the way the game looks, as compared to the last two generations of SF games: that over-of-over-the-top cartoony style wasn't the worst fit for the franchise, I will admit, but it still was never quite to my taste. This newest entry really seems to have threaded the needle between the super stylized legacy character designs and super high-fidelity graphics, and as a result, I don't think SF has ever looked better.

All that said, when I saw today's trailer, I couldn't help but feel like the design of Lily owes a bit much in respect to Talim that kinda goes substantially beyond even the usual generous "borrowing" we see in the genre, lol. I mean, wow, if you're going to go that close, you might as well try to license the original as a guest and do some cross-promotion!
Have u seen the game? It's only on lobbies, not in actual matchs

Last edited:
Have u seen the game? It's only on lobbies, not in actual matchs
That's true, but I just wonder why they would bother making a custom character gameplay trailer if these creations were just going to be a glorified avatar outside of world tour. I guess it's possible they are just fishing for casuals, but the level of marketing has made me less confident about dismissing the possibility that customs won't appear in some multiplayer mode or another.

On the other hand, I was thinking about this yesterday, and recalling that in world tour you're also apparently allowed to play mix and match with the moveset, which is obviously something that is unlikely to make it into multiplayer, even player matches, so maybe you're right: maybe all the kitschy creation stuff will all be sequestered together in that mode. But then it's very weird that they would integrate the created models into the battle hub.

So...who knows, I guess. I just tend to think you don't put so much effort into promoting a feature unless it's going to have a prominent place in the final product. But maybe single player offerings are considered prominent too a SF development team in a way that they wouldn't for other games, just based on their much larger casual player market share.

That's true, but I just wonder why they would bother making a custom character gameplay trailer if these creations were just going to be a glorified avatar outside of world tour. I guess it's possible they are just fishing for casuals, but the level of marketing has made me less confident about dismissing the possibility that customs won't appear in some multiplayer mode or another.

On the other hand, I was thinking about this yesterday, and recalling that in world tour you're also apparently allowed to play mix and match with the moveset, which is obviously something that is unlikely to make it into multiplayer, even player matches, so maybe you're right: maybe all the kitschy creation stuff will all be sequestered together in that mode. But then it's very weird that they would integrate the created models into the battle hub.

So...who knows, I guess. I just tend to think you don't put so much effort into promoting a feature unless it's going to have a prominent place in the final product. But maybe single player offerings are considered prominent too a SF development team in a way that they wouldn't for other games, just based on their much larger casual player market share.
I don't see what's weird about it, they're just trying to make loobies more fun and interactible, they took Arcsys formula and took it to next level. And you can also use the Created character in the world tour which is the equivalent of Soul Chronicle in SC6, so it's not like it won't be use in stuffs, it will, but also Capcom knows where to stop and don't just put random sh1t everywhere in every mode.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw the same rumor reported here (in a click-baity content-mill article which added even more layers of baseless speculation). But at the root, we're talking about a "reveal" from no one other than a content creator--who, according to the comments of the posted reddit thread, has a reputation as one of those bullshitting types known for making random predictions concerning things that any longterm fan of a series might anticipate/hope would happen, and hoping some of them kinda sorta come true. In this case, his "source" (if they really exist) and their professional position relative to Namco (if any) are highly ambiguous. And even if legitimate, all that he claims that said source has apparently told him is that Namco have renewed a trademark for the series, or some element of the property... Which, uh, means absolutely squat nothing: it's very much routine business for a massive publisher in relation to its intellectual property to make such renewals.

In short, this is all incredibly silly: I wouldn't really pay it any heed. I do think that future ports of past titles in the franchise are probably due in time, but I'd be surprised to see a massive remaster project for any legacy entry in the series any time in the foreseeable future: I just can't imagine that makes financial sense for Namco, given the cost-benefit calculus of remastering games like these, relative to the amount of sales they could generate. Especially when you factor in just how massive their IP portfolio is and how many different projects they have to choose between for greenlights at any one time, a remaster (let alone a remaster collection) seems incredibly unlikely any time soon. At best, I think we might see a re-release of SCII:HDO for the new subscription services, and even that's a longshot.

Edit: sigh And now all three of these outlets (if not more) are all reporting this and presenting it as if it's actually some sort of story with any kind of genuine, supported basis for expecting any kind of product in this area, rather than just a rumor clearly started by some rando on a gaming podcast throwing out a sentence and a half of vague word salad implication about how something might happen, attributed to a supposed "source".

Good lord, the gaming press has become such an utter joke of an oversaturated media industry. Just endless article mill schlock overanalyzing every tiny newsbite of detail of every product and then just blatanly making shit up when that is isn't enough--or just waiting for content creators to make shit up and jumping on it like it was actual inside news, as here. And to think, we're only just at the beginning of the era of AI-assisted (or just AI-generated) content milling. It's going to get so much worse from here....

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has noticed this before, but I recently came across of a command list of Li Long, specifically his moveset from SC3 Arcade Edition. It's great to finally see all the new moves he got in the revision. Hopefully he will be playable in SC7.

Well it appears Jun is going to take a page out of Sophitia and 'save' Kazuya. Though, I think Jun genuinely cares about him, unlike Sophitia using it as an excuse to extract as much bad boy evil seed that she can before she gets married to Rothion.

Jun Gonna Save Kazuya.jpg

SC7 announcement a year after T8 release is good timing

BTW anyone remember those leaked Sophy, Night and cie designs leaked back then, they look so cool they should use those for SC7 or something is that style

If you're talking about the "leaked" concept arts from 2016~2017, I'm sorry to say that Hiro (I forgot his name, but he was the art director of SC6) said that they weren't official, when someone asked about them for him.

Any thoughts on what can be applied to SC7 with the batch of Tekken 8 trailers ? I suppose gameplay decisions are impossible, so lets take a look at graphical fidelity

Characters
• Hair in UE5 looks much better than T7/SC6. Granted SC6 was a very low bar
• They seemed to almost go overboard with the facial animations (especially paul/law), but thats a good thing. Tira would benefit from this with her split personality.
• Fabrics how much greater detail.
• Kazuya's face looks high definition and generational leap in detail and making him look aged while menacing is very cool. Could see this affecting Voldo, and cervy if he has a human return (though i'd rather him stay as an undead zombie pirate). All of a sudden a retelling of SC5 isn't out of the question.
• Paul brings facial hair, and i'm hoping SC7 trends in the same direction being able to have beards/musatches that you can customize.
• Asuka's face looks "doll like" at first glance but when you really inspect it there's a level of organic detail in the texture(the lighting is way way better however). Xiaoyu is pretty much what Xianghua or Leixia will look like so thats a nice preview. For the females, the finger nails are finally detailed and it would be nice to be able to customize their colors.
• Looking at Law, I have my hopes really high up for Maxi to show up as next gen. They even gave him high poly nunchucks, while SC6 Maxi has weapons that belong in PS2. Law's nunchucks have individual chain links, and you can actually see the individual shadows, versus that weird stretchy rope that Maxi has. I hope every character's weapons get a high poly make over.
• In term of Pauls' sleeve ripping off when he does his rage art, of course this reminds us of Groh's soul charge. The thing to note is that the clothing has "tears" while Groh's armor kinda just disappears. I'm hoping we return with the "damaged" armor breaks rather than disappearing. Heck maybe even a toggle option would be amazing
• Xiaoyu's outfit would probably be the one closest to something in SC7. It looks highly detailed. Lars looks like a modern Patroklos.
• In some of the trailers/gameplay footage Kazuya's coat actually gets dirt and grime on it over the course of the battle. Bruises and dirt I would not be surprised if it comes to SC6. Blood and wounds are almost certainly not going to be included, thats MK/Samsho's territory.
• In terms of body transformation, we can look to soul charge conditions. You'll notice Law's starting animation where he flexes to show off his vascularity and striation. King has something similar in his flexing taunt in the beginning of his trailer Its pretty cool because its beyond just simply glowing streaks of color like Groh/Kilik. Not sure how they can apply it to something in SC but there is potential there.
• Jack's one of the few characters with a lot of metal surfaces (so we can imagine how armor in SC7 will look based on this). You'll see a whole lot of nicks and scratches for detail, and maybe we'll get that. It would be amazing if this level of detail can be done after battle damage.

Stages and Other
• I really like the round start camera pan (where they take a very wide angle shot then zoom in) so you get a taste of the scale and detail of the stage as the announcer calls the round #. The red/blue P1/P2 seems unnecessary to me
• The stages are so grand and epic in tekken 8 they really captured SC5's stage presentation but on a grander scale. I hope this returns in SC7. Just the concept of fighting in the tekken-universe Times Square or the gladitoral coliseum is amazing.
• Comparing the river stage in Tekken, the way they prsesent the background (layered lighting, fog..etc) looks like you literally can go out to explore, and is magnitudes more amazing than the forest stage in SC6.
• The lighting in the ruined building/warzone with the helicopter and missiles in the background reminds me of what they were attempting to do with in SC6's cathedral ruins for NM's stage, but done next generation.
• Even the secret catacombs/underground ruins stage (which I would normally find dull and bland) is done very well with the contrast and light shining from cracks above. It makes you want to stop fighting temporarily and just explore around.
• I'm not sure about stage hazards in SC6, since there usually aren't metal drums of explosive and combustive materials just lying around. However, there could be magical jars and gladiators with tigers/lions, soldiers and malfested ogres that would make neat background hazards.
• The special fist bump in the intro animation between Lars/Jin might lead to something in SC7 (like between Maxi/Kilik doing something similar or even between Raph and Amy)

• Anybody else notice a lot of white wind twirling special effects around the characters during combos ? don't like that, its very Street fighter-esque to add oompf.
• I like how T8 is adopting SC6's with character specific mechanisms. Hope stuff like that and LH returns in SC7.
• Astaroth's 28A+G titan bomb looks still more impressive than King's air-powerbomb grab, hoping that Rock inherits a mechanism with armored forward dash like King heat (well hoping he returns at all really)

Anyways good to discuss and see what sort of speculation we can gather, as SC7 is a few years out from even being announced

I know this isn't what you asked but looking at the T8 character order I would like if the SC7 order to be like this:
  • Ivy
  • Siegfried / Nightmare
  • Kilik / Raphael (visually he would be Lee Chaolan, but he is the next protagonist)
  • Mitsurugi / Cassandra ? / Arthur
  • Maxi / Li Long
  • Cassandra / Rock ?
  • Grøh
  • Astaroth
  • Sophitia
  • Xianghua
  • Taki / Guest Character
  • Tira / Seong Mina ? (SC6 made me reflect that SC's Howarang is actually Mina, but she matches Asuka) / Yun Seong ? (despite having H moves, he reminds me of Asuka, for replacing an old character and appearing in more series than the "original")
anyways, I just wish the base SC7 had more or less the same amount as the SC2 HD Online, around 24~25 + Inferno, that would be fine. I personally don't think it's fair for SC6 DLC to be DLC again, if anyone wants to know my ideal roster, just take this part of my comment.

@WuHT
I think it is safe to say that most of the Calibur faces will be on par with Xiaoyu and Asuka due to it being the more anime franchise. Providing everyone is aesthetically pleasing and the tone of the game continues to be upbeat and bright then I will be happy.

I know this isn't what you asked but looking at the T8 character order I would like if the SC7 order to be like this:
  • Ivy
  • Siegfried / Nightmare
  • Kilik / Raphael (visually he would be Lee Chaolan, but he is the next protagonist)
  • Mitsurugi / Cassandra ? / Arthur
Historically Mitsurugi is like always the first character revealed (at least back in SC4 till now). If I was a betting man they'll continue that trend.
Ivy was revealed also alongside Mitsu back when SC5 trailer was introduced, and I think the high-res art for SC4 that was intro'd early also had Ivy.

as I mentioned before the order I did was based on the order that the T8 gameplay trailers were released, so I wanted an announcement trailer and that the characters had individual trailers just like SC6 started to do, unfortunately Mitsurugi and Sophitia did not.
Nina - Ivy
Kazuya - Siegfried / Nightmare
Jin - Kilik / Raphael
Paul - Mitsurugi / Cassandra (In fact, Paul would be Sophitia, but I remember that they already mentioned that Arthur has Paul as a facial base, I doubt that Arthur is playable in SC7, who knows in SC8, so I replaced it with Mitsurugi.)

I would like the announcement trailer to be different, like showing 3 characters (knight, assassin and a samurai / CaS) entering the Ostrheinsburg Chapel (pls they need to redo this stage, besides being iconic it's part of Siegmare's canon) trying to steal Soul Edge and they end up fighting each other and in the end the silhouette of Nightmare would appear. That would make it clear that CaS would be back, plus if it's too optimistic bring the SC3 Jobs too, or at least the sets representing them, preferably completely NEW generic costumes.

Or the announcement could be similar to SC4, 5 veterans and the new character fighting each other, preferably the newcomer is a female character since SC6 didn't have one, with the exception of 2B, but being a guest, she doesn't count as a new female character , at least not for me.

I particularly hope that Siegfried was one of the last characters to be revealed and Raphael appears earlier. Yoshinori said on his twitter that Raphael is the protagonist of SC2, if you follow the logic that the next game will adapt this part of the story, then I would like to see him, unfortunately I very much doubt the writers will transform him into a good protagonist, given that his storyline of getting revenge on Soul Edge has gone to hell, in my view this obsession with Amy ruins him as a character.

• Ivy
  • Mitsurugi
  • Raphael
  • Nightmare
  • Taki or Grøh or Cassandra
  • New Character

Sophitia would probably be one of the first to appear, but I think a lot of people will hate me for this but I wish they put Sophitia and Seong Mina as DLC. I think Cassandra should have the focus, after all, until today many think that she is the protagonist of SC2, and she was never highlighted, if possible a second story mode with her just like LoS gave Mitsurugi, Grøh and Maxi a plot. I highly doubt they would do that, but I know both would sell well, then I would reference SC2, as both only appeared in the console version of sc2, being excluded from arcades. I believe that Mina's story should start when Yun Seong decided to steal the White Storm and look for Soul Edge, Hwang was already DLC and technically Talim has to arrive in the village before YS. Cassandra using Sophitia's sword makes me believe that her journey starts first, obviously they can do the same as SC6 and she actually takes the original Omega Sword, but that would get repetitive.

Well, in the end this is just my personal opinion, as I said it's not right who was DCL in SC6 to be DLC in SC7. Harda already mentioned that it's more practical to add characters than to create games each year, so DLC will likely return. I really hope they have time to make 7 and not have to "cancel" characters like they did in 6, clearly Tira wasn't originally intended to be DLC, and Edge Master and Aeon were cut.

Last edited:
Back