Soul Charge Moves Cause Damage When Guarded

I don't think it's too early to say that at all Zero, you're spot on. If it's a guaranteed way to do more damage people will find ways to use it.

I don't think it's too early to say that at all Zero, you're spot on. If it's a guaranteed way to do more damage people will find ways to use it.
It depends on how long the charge lasts, and also whether or not it kills.
But yeah... I can see people doing oki setups into Soul Charge and forcing the opponent to try and panic GI or RE out of MK style block pressure...

As for Lethal hit, it's said to be not random and will happen on certain moves, when done under certain conditions. Mitsu has his old SC4 22A back that used to only give stun as a whiff punish. So that could be the condition for Lethal hit for him in SC6. Be interesting to see who has the best/most practical Lethal Hit attacks. Also what you get off them afterwards.

Seems to last maybe around 8 seconds or so but taking hits will make you lose meter. I'm more interested in whether the chip damage is affected by the guts scaling.

I do think the chip damage from soul charge is a really good idea. having 8-9 or so seconds of soul charge if you don't manage to guess right and hit the opponent you still get some damage in if blocked. It is also gonna give more reason to have to avoid blocking and give more incentive to try movement or GI/RE

I do think the chip damage from soul charge is a really good idea. having 8-9 or so seconds of soul charge if you don't manage to guess right and hit the opponent you still get some damage in if blocked. It is also gonna give more reason to have to avoid blocking and give more incentive to try movement or GI/RE
Also wonder if Soul charge changes frame data on block/hit. In the previous games, it gave CH status on hit and Guard Break status on block. (unblockables at level 3). I don't expect it to be quite the same, but it would be pretty crazy if you're doing chip and being more safe.

I would of thought so with many attacks like Mitsu 66A+B getting GB properties in the Soul Charge state I'm sure that and other moves would be safer so can get a good number of attacks off in that 8-9 seconds with it.

If CE and SC are the only mechanics that use the meter unless characters CEs are really good for punishment and/or combo extenders/enders then soul charge gonna be active alot.

Also a big deal is gonna be if the chip damage will kill or not. We would of known had that dumb Sophitia AI had blocked the second hit of 4KB in the gameplay interview video lol

Last edited:
Am I really the only one disappointed that SC isn't a traditional freeze frame without a hitbox? It's staggering how much depth it would have brought to the game. The addition of a hitbox is probably one of the most ingeniously lazy balancing decisions I've ever seen.

Am I really the only one disappointed that SC isn't a traditional freeze frame without a hitbox? It's staggering how much depth it would have brought to the game. The addition of a hitbox is probably one of the most ingeniously lazy balancing decisions I've ever seen.

. . . . Huh?

You shave off what makes it great in defense by removing the hitbox. Its faster than any poke; has great knockback on hit and block; and seems to only be risky on whiff.

You shave off what makes it great in defense by removing the hitbox. Its faster than any poke; has great knockback on hit and block; and seems to only be risky on whiff.
Not really, if you've seen how instinct mode is used in Killer Instinct the activation can be used when in a disadvantageous situation allowing you to see what your opponent is about to do and properly defend against it. I'd rather something like that than just pushing the opponent back. Also, do we really need soul charge as another defensive option, aren't RE and GI are more than enough?

Not really, if you've seen how instinct mode is used in Killer Instinct the activation can be used when in a disadvantageous situation allowing you to see what your opponent is about to do and properly defend against it. I'd rather something like that than just pushing the opponent back. Also, do we really need soul charge as another defensive option, aren't RE and GI are more than enough?

You can push an opponent into a wall to reduce the pushback, so you don't lose ground if you're already on offense. It's just not something you want to do midscreen as a combo extender, which is a fair compromise because damage is pretty high already.

You can push an opponent into a wall to reduce the pushback, so you don't lose ground if you're already on offense. It's just not something you want to do midscreen as a combo extender, which is a fair compromise because damage is pretty high already.
I doubt activating SC mid combo would actually allow for combos that are too damaging. Imagine any characters 3B into a SC without a hitbox followed by a SC specific move. This would probably only add 1-2 addition hits.

Back