SOULCALIBUR 6: News, leaks and information discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, roughly 30? Where did that come from? I didn't see any select screen with that much, it barely reached 20 in the last one.

That must've been either a typo or a miscount. I mean, best case scenario is that it's neither and the 20-slot placeholder select screen has been replaced with a 30-slot select screen, but I doubt it. But also at least 2 slots are reserved for CaS characters and the Random button, so that brings it down to 28, which is where a lot of us were thinking/hoping the roster could wind up being at.
I dunno, I'm reserving judgement until I actually see the new build's character select screen.

I obviously haven't played the game yet, but from a devil's advocate perspective, it's entirely possible that Reversal Edge has gotten so stale and carries that feeling of "not this again sigh" because we're only seeing Mitsurugi and Sophitia doing it, over and over and over. Different characters with different animations and perhaps differently stylized way of handling Reversal Edge may break up the monotony a bit. I imagine for some, only seeing Mitsurugi and Sophitia fight normally, Reversal Edge completely aside, is getting a bit old. We've seen most of the moves, we've seen their Soul Charge, their Critical Edge, granted, not at the highest of level play, of course, but it's just... I mostly feel like we'll calm down a bit when we get new characters.
I'm sure that's the result of starving the fanbase of anything new for nearly six years. Now that we have something new, it's going to observed and broken down to oblivion, until there's nothing else to find. I know I mentioned that I have a degree of patience now that the game came out, but I don't recall SoulCalibur V being so stingy with it's character reveals. One or two new characters would have been fine for CES 2018; not sure why they haven't done so. A new stage reveal would've also been a change of pave

One thing that bothers me with RE, specifically, is if the opponent only uses it to constantly back step. It could become a new form of turtling, one that can break the flow fights. If you can use RE so freely, I can see it becoming an issue for some.

I'm sure that's the result of starving the fanbase of anything new for nearly six years. Now that we have something new, it's going to observed and broken down to oblivion, until there's nothing else to find. I know I mentioned that I have a degree of patience now that the game came out, but I don't recall SoulCalibur V being so stingy with it's character reveals. One or two new characters would have been fine for CES 2018; not sure why they haven't done so. A new stage reveal would've also been a change of pave

One thing that bothers me with RE, specifically, is if the opponent only uses it to constantly back step. It could become a new form of turtling, one that can break the flow fights. If you can use RE so freely, I can see it becoming an issue for some.

I think they're saving the reveal for Evo Japan.

Does anybody know what was meant by "CE can be modified by button-presses after the attack is launched"? It looks like Mitsurugi's CE has some kinda of input so maybe this is why people were mashing buttons through his CE in the demo video?

Hoping there's enough strongly worded feedback based on CES and EVO Japan to get stuff sorted. This feels to me like do or die for the franchise so why are they taking risks with things I don't know.

Dumbing down the game to 'make it more appealing' is just an insult to consumer intelligence. We're all here after all these years - don't think the game has ever had a problem attracting players. SC is it's own entity; when are they going to realise that this game can stand on it's own merits and not have to copy stuff (RE, supers etc).. ARGHHH!

Also, removal of B+K on throws, to me is just crazy. That's been a staple for the last 5 games.. why bother changing it? It's SC DNA.

Worried.

Dumbing down the game to 'make it more appealing' is just an insult to consumer intelligence. We're all here after all these years - don't think the game has ever had a problem attracting players.
How is it any more dumbed down than the jump SCIV to V was, though? SCV introduced CEs and BEs which was simply just some old strings changed into a supposed 'empowered' move. Not to mention that ALL of the move lists were severely reduced (Ivy must have lost at least 20+ moves), and GI was also working against all levels of attack in that game as well.

I'm also concerned about Okubo saying this in that interview above:

“I feel that, up to Soul Calibur V, the focus became too much about the battle itself, and it became too difficult."

I'm not really sure how they've come up with this idea but I guess we now know why RE is a thing. Also really confused how a FIGHTING GAME can be too focused 'about the battle itself'?

Further down he says:

"if you play with an advanced player as a beginner, you’re just beaten up — badly."
I'm actually not understanding what they're thinking -- is the whole point not to learn the game and become better? WTF?

Last edited:
If they keep on simplifying the already simplified SCV, we might end up with a game à la Evil Zone for SCVII: one button to attack, one the guard, that's all.

Let's hope our beloved game will come back to its former glory and, if it seems like it won't, let's fight for it!

Yeah I suspected RE will get boring to watch quickly and will just break the fun flow of the fight. The worst thing is if it's useful it'll be used often and might not get phased out in high level play.

GI is kind of scary too in how effective it is so it might need to get balanced somehow, I find it hard to believe they have time to add a separate low GI with its own animation this point into the game's development so we'll have to see.
Yeah they need to seriously tweak GI and RE imo..I mean why would you make 2 mechanics that essentially do the same thing..but this is to be expected when you keep making fighting games easier to play with less skill involved.

Yeah they need to seriously tweak GI and RE imo..I mean why would you make 2 mechanics that essentially do the same thing..but this is to be expected when you keep making fighting games easier to play with less skill involved.
Easier and less finished game to appeal to die-hard fans, throw a bunch of lazy and overpriced DLC to make money, it's the key to success now since people follow the trend, fall in the DLC trap and bow to shorter movelists because it's "better for competition" (so was I told when I complained about half movesets).

It's up to us to make sure that SCVI is living up to our expectations and not become a mainstream cashgrab.

SC5 was wrong in many things, but it was not in gameplay. Its by far the best its ever been, rewarding you with combos you were now allowed to perform instead of a random poke and then get back to a guard and dodge fest. What is the point of having huge movesets if you wouldn't even use many of those moves? Its not like you could combo them, not as much as in SC5.

Not as much as in SCV because every move could be added to a combo. SCIV required skill to put some moves in combos and, once you were able to do it, would reward you a lot and also amaze your opponent.

As I said, Evil Zone had only one attack button, and you could combo each move with another. I don't think guaranteed combos mean a game has a good gameplay, because some high level players always use the same three combos over and over again and know the most obvious combos of the other characters. Surprise is a key element, and if the opponent doesn't know every possible combo of your character, that makes the game faster paced: kill him before (and if) he throws a random highly rewarding combo. With SCV it gave me the impression fights were more "let's wait until the opponent makes a mistake, then throw the guaranteed combo, rince and repeat".

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet by anyone. Looks like we might get 30 characters.
http://www.techradar.com/news/soul-calibur-vi-release-date-trailers-news-and-features
This is the related quote in the article:

At least 30 characters

The number and make-up of the characters also remains mysterious: so far, only Sophitia and Mitsurugi have been confirmed. However, the launch screen for Vs battles showed roughly 30 slots for characters, so that is the least amount we can expect.

Sounds like he's just bad at counting.

How is it any more dumbed down than the jump SCIV to V was, though? SCV introduced CEs and BEs which was simply just some old strings changed into a supposed 'empowered' move. Not to mention that ALL of the move lists were severely reduced (Ivy must have lost at least 20+ moves), and GI was also working against all levels of attack in that game as well.

I'm also concerned about Okubo saying this in that interview above:

“I feel that, up to Soul Calibur V, the focus became too much about the battle itself, and it became too difficult."

I'm not really sure how they've come up with this idea but I guess we now know why RE is a thing. Also really confused how a FIGHTING GAME can be too focused 'about the battle itself'?

Further down he says:

"if you play with an advanced player as a beginner, you’re just beaten up — badly."
I'm actually not understanding what they're thinking -- is the whole point not to learn the game and become better? WTF?

It's funny that this is being said about Soul Calibur. One of the easiest to pick up fighting game series to ever exist. Like, how much easier do you get for a pick up and play game than this?

Of course, SCV also made the dumb mistake of adding in a bunch of mechanics to create a false sense of depth (but simplifying move sets and adding high damage meter). It's the same mistake Street Fighter 4 made... adding in a bunch of weird mechanics together that ultimately makes for a confusing game, it sort of balances out at the high level but I thought it made intermediate play pretty undesirable.

Not as much as in SCV because every move could be added to a combo. SCIV required skill to put some moves in combos and, once you were able to do it, would reward you a lot and also amaze your opponent.

As I said, Evil Zone had only one attack button, and you could combo each move with another. I don't think guaranteed combos mean a game has a good gameplay, because some high level players always use the same three combos over and over again and know the most obvious combos of the other characters. Surprise is a key element, and if the opponent doesn't know every possible combo of your character, that makes the game faster paced: kill him before (and if) he throws a random highly rewarding combo. With SCV it gave me the impression fights were more "let's wait until the opponent makes a mistake, then throw the guaranteed combo, rince and repeat".
SC4's huge movelist was stupid. Why waste resources and time on moves that no ones gonna use? There was absolutely no reason for a movelist bigger than SC5's. People always cry "creativity" but that doesn't make any sense. In every single game, characters come down to their best, let's say, 10~15 moves, and even that's a stretch. Sophie: AA, BB, grabs, stab, 4B, 66B, B+K, 66A, profit. Amy: 3BA, 33B, 66A+B, 2B+K, 1A, profit. SC2 X: 22B, 3B, 1A, 3A, profit.

It's like why do you need 7 different stepkillers when only one of the is going to be the best which you should use in every situation you want to stepkill?? Why do you need another shitty low? Why do you want a cluttered movelist which will not add "depth" to the character? Most SC5 characters use much less than half of their entire movelist because they don't need it to win. Viola has so many shitty moves I would never throw out, and if this was SC4 then she would just have three times the amount of shitty moves I'm still not using lol

The only case where a big movelist makes sense would be a character like Ivy pre SC5 since she had three different stances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back