SOULCALIBUR 6: News, leaks and information discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Nightmare
Appearing from out of the shadows like the advent of nightfall, this barbaric knight in azure armor reaps the souls of the living as if they were mere stalks of corn. His name came to represent fear and desperation to all who heard it. Those who found out that the rumors were true, that he was no fairytale villain, would be struck down in a single blow before they could even open their mouths to scream.

Nightmare carries the demon sword Soul Edge, a blade that has been part of many battles and retains the memories of those who wielded it, and those who faced them. Such memories influence the fighting style of the blade’s current master, so even if its wielder lacks experience in combat, they can battle like a seasoned warrior. When facing Nightmare, one must never forget that he is able to at least partially unleash the power of the sword. If he does, be prepared for a blow designed to kill in one fell cut.
  • Grøh
The mysterious Aval Organization was a secret group with origins rooted in ancient times. They say the group came to be when a king used the spirit sword to defeat its cursed counterpart, and with his dying breath, entrusted them with both the blade and his unfinished mission. Each new generation has taken on the group’s mission to rid the world of “Outsider” — those connected with the cursed sword. One such member was Grøh, about whom little is known save for that he was a fearsome warrior. Though his fighting style is shrouded in mystery, he is believed to have wielded two swords. Some also say he kept a certain technique close to his chest…

Grøh utilizes the Aval Twinblade Swordsmanship that often employs multiple consecutive slashes. This has a major disadvantage in that a careless practitioner runs the risk of injuring themselves. As such, it takes a lot of practice to use this style effectively. Dual-swordsmanship also allows for the swords to be split in two and wielded separately. This tactic is one of the many ways a wielder can use to surprise their opponent, giving them the opportunity to string together a series of blows that lead to a final, deadly slash.

by: blog.us.playstation.com

Im not going to argue about this because I like both characters but Siegfriend being a separate character in base roster makes no sense, otherwise it made no point on Namcos behalf to emphasize they were going in the the past with the storyline. Why deconfirm SCV characters by pointing to the timeline of events only to put in two versions of a character that create a paradox in the story?

Furthermore if youre going to point out SC1, also realize that Tekken/Soul Calibur sequels in arcade roster arent cannon. Every time release/unlockable character in arcade was a "sub boss/clone" and gave more variety on the character select.

Last edited:
We could easily just have a Siegfried costume for Nightmare. As people noticed, Nightmare does have some of Siegfried's moves, which makes it less likely for him to appear, and it really bothers me to have Siegfried taking two slots, just like it annoyed people to have Patroklos and Pyrrha doing the same.

SoulCalibur I contained Siegfried as a character for much the same reason that it contained Cervantes as a character. There was a recap of the events of SoulBlade in SoulCalibur I, where Cervantes was the original wielder of Soul Edge, was defeated by Sophitia and Taki, and then Siegfried happened upon Soul Edge and became its new host, becoming Nightmare. Assuming that SoulCalibur VI is also going to contain this storyline content, which it likely will, then there's already justification for including Siegfried as a character on the roster.

If not for that reason, then, if the rumor/leak is true, and the story will also contain events from SoulCalibur II and SoulCalibur III, it is at the end of SoulCalibur II where Siegfried finally breaks free from being possessed and becomes his own person again, and he is absolutely his own person in SoulCalibur III, while Nightmare in SoulCalibur III is a corpse reanimated by Zasalamel to wear the armor and carry out Soul Edge's task.

SoulCalibur II is the only game where Nightmare is the only character of the two on the roster, and Siegfried is included as a bonus 3p costume.

It just feels like a shame in that project soul worked from SC3 to SC5 to develop significant differentiation between Sieg and NM. Hopefully it hasn't gone to waste

Again unlockables could be a thing for Siegfried and I think Cervantes was only added to the console version. I'm only convinced they'll be separate because Nightmare is in a slot that'd imply he'd have a rival or a sworn enemy. Could be Raphael for all we know...

I think it's pretty damning evidence that we've seen so far such as Nightmare gaining Siegfried's stance(s) and the fact that it's Siegfried under his helmet (lol) although it is definitely NOT impossible for him to eventually come out as a separate character (see Patroklos/Alpha Patroklos and Pyrrha/Pyrrha Omega from SCV).

Edit:

Kayane has just tweeted this! Get excited guys :)

He gained one stance, Chief Hold, from Siegfried, which he also had in SoulCalibur I-II, and that makes sense because, you know, he's using Siegfried's body, so naturally, some of Siegfried's talents would shine through. Of course Siegfried is under the helmet, who else were you expecting? Le Bello?

None of that changes the fact that Siegfried has his own calm and tactical style, compared to Nightmare's aggressive and destructive style. Nightmare gained a lot of unique moves to set him apart from Siegfried in SoulCalibur III-V, and this Nightmare in SoulCalibur VI is using those moves, where if it was a straight representation of Nightmare from SoulCalibur I, he wouldn't have those moves. Siegfried kept his moves from SoulCalibur I-II (as Nightmare) as well as developing a few new moves to go with his style in SoulCalibur III-V moving forward that Nightmare doesn't and never had, so the Siegfried in SoulCalibur VI would certainly have those things to set him apart. Siegfried and Nightmare would both exist as separate yet fleshed out styles using the same weapon, and they would play very differently because of this.

I am a Sieg main but to be honest, ever since he split from NM he felt incomplete. Give his 50/50 to this new NM and what would you want more? better frames on agA? a high crushing 22_88A? that wouldn't be so hard. even though +SC3 NM has way better everything else, from better low pokes and 6K to better mids..etc
To me I have no problem with either decisions on Sieg's inclusion in SCVI.

In the midst of all the information we're seeing, I'm curious to know the guest is With mechanics that can drastically change the character (like Kilik and Groh), I wonder if the guest might have a similar mechanic. @Hayate @Kayane has there been any information about who it might be? Not an outright reveal, but any hints? Also, I'm hoping 20 characters won't be all we get at launch. Holding so many characters back has been a bad practice and the BlazBlue Cross has gotten it the worse so far (20 at launch and 20 as dlc).

I dont understand why you would want Siegfried at this point if Nightmare has side stance, base hold and chief hold. Lol.

I know the SC community is more casual than some of the others but with 20 slots, theres gonna be some tears. Besides anyone who wants to argue on legacy would appreciate that Nightmare has consistently been a much better and well designed character than Siegfried, who even at his best iteration in SC4, was still just not as well rounded as Nightmare, and now Nightmare has his moves...

This has quickly shifted from "Sieg should still be in" to "whats the point in having Sieg"

Its like giving Devil Jin regular Jin's concentration stance, and then arguing that Jin should be in the game as well. No purpose!

Last edited:
from the latest shacknews gameplay vid, looks like NM also has the old Base Hold stance from SCII (@12:24) where he crouch on the ground and lays his sword on the ground instead of using it like a shield like SC4 sieg's basehold, so that comes down to a total of 4 stances for NM so far, GS, NSS, Chief Hold and Base Hold. I like it :)

I know the SC community is more casual than some of the others but with 20 slots, theres gonna be some tears.
I am very concerned about this decision as well. Twenty just seems so low. One of the complaints was the cutting of characters in SC5, and SC6 plans to address this by making even more cuts?!?!

Regarding Sieg: He better end up with hellsweep and keep his 3B.

If I were a betting man I assume Namco will just reskin NM and give "Siegfried" 5-8 custom attacks (less punches of course) a unique soul charge and unique critical edge and off to the presses for a DLC release. They'll tweak damage and frames for the rest of his moveset (the remaining 90%) but we know they're pretty much clones.

Of course I could be completely wrong and Project Soul hits it out of the park and gives Siegfried way more differentation.

Nightmare should be just transformation for Siegfried just like transformation for Killik (Kazuya/Devil Kazuya for example).

Night Terror should be separate character with unique moveset and unique weapon (for example cursed eating sword like scissors it's already different than Zweihänder)
of_souls_and_swords_by_xd_385.jpg

Thats a horrible idea. Nightmare is more than just a transformation hes a completely different character. Sieg's character doesnt fit Nightmares fighting style. Theyre literally two different playstyles.

Thats a horrible idea. Nightmare is more than just a transformation hes a completely different character. Sieg's character doesnt fit Nightmares fighting style. Theyre literally two different playstyles.
You acknowledge this, and yet you don't understand why we would want both Siegfried and Nightmare? I don't understand your contradiction.

Also, we're not getting just 20 slots (two of which wouldn't be characters), they have confirmed that the demo build screen is just a placeholder.

You acknowledge this, and yet you don't understand why we would want both Siegfried and Nightmare? I don't understand your contradiction.

Also, we're not getting just 20 slots (two of which wouldn't be characters), they have confirmed that the demo build screen is just a placeholder.

Nightmare has Siegfriends moves. It can work that way, but not the other way around, thats why your idea was terrible. lol. They also look like the same person, so theres no contradiction only inconsistency. Only intense confusion as to why every time a new SC rolls around these discussions always take place among the casual community from members who joined literally a month or two ago.

If Sieg makes it, good for him, this is by no means a MUST HAVE at this point because we basically already have him.

If I were a betting man I assume Namco will just reskin NM and give "Siegfried" 5-8 custom attacks (less punches of course) a unique soul charge and unique critical edge and off to the presses for a DLC release. They'll tweak damage and frames for the rest of his moveset (the remaining 90%) but we know they're pretty much clones.
I dont know if I would want this, given how small the base roster will be.

Again, the disconnect I'm having with rationalizing Sieg being included is how this goes against what Namco originally said.

So if Sieg is in, Viola HAS to be in. Shes the best thing about SCV and if Siegfriend and Siegfriend as Nightmare have a place, we need a retcon with Viola.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back