SOULCALIBUR 6: News, leaks and information discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question.
I don't have a source on this, and I haven't been successful with finding people's opinions on this.
Someone around the time Soul Calibur VI was announced said "SC6 doesn't aspire to be an 'e-sport game'."
Does this have any reprecussions for tournament play? I don't understand the premise behind such a statement (whoever made it).
Is this a big deal even? ^^

It doesn't . Sc6 will still have tournaments. It only means that it wont get E-sport support from the developers like T7 did, with Tekken world tour n stuff.

Tekken 7 and MKX to only name those have a bunch of new characters, and are all successful games, so why SC6 wouldn't follow? New characters are one of the key of success, putting mostly veterans characters will only please hardcore fans that will buy the game anyway lol New characters will make the game looks fresh and exciting and bring a lot of new players (remember Tekken 3?)
They fucked up so so badly in V they said time and time again in interviews this would be a return to roots for Soul Calibur. Also, MKX is one in the many MK games that introduced a bunch of characters let alone one of the few MK that did that and was successful.

Tekken 7 is the closest thing Tekken got of a Soul Calibur V, people are not happy about the roster of that game, lots of legacy characters missing and people didn't even connect with the new characters well from what I've heard.

7 new characters in a game where they are banking on nostalgia is counter productive.

I loved the Tekken world tour and wish SCVI could its own version. I want SC to stop being thought of as secondary to Tekken, since I always preferred SC when it came to gameplay, visuals and interesting characters.

Reactions: CFW
I'd like to reiterate one more time: https://8wayrun.com/threads/soulcalibur-vi-general-roster-speculation-thread.19677/
USE IT PLEASE...I don't want to start cleaning things out nightly but I will if I have to. Thank you.

Also just to explain so as people don't think I'm trying be an asshole. This thread was made for anything pertaining to any news and discussion stemming from that news about the new game. Now I understand how new things come up and people get excited and post all kinds of things but this leads to every thing getting thrown off track. I've already seen in the last couple of days new people coming in here and saying something to the degree of "I'm new here and couldn't find...xyz about what everyone is talking about". That's what this thread was attempting to avoid. So please I know how exciting things are and how we have all kinds of things to discuss. But please if it's not an announcement, leak of a future announcement, interviews or anything linking to any of those, find the appropriate thread about what you'd like to talk about and take the discussion there.

Sure I'm fine with reactions to any of the above stated subjects but really, we've had on at least 4 different occasions where we'll go 5-10 pages deep about what/who you wanna see make/not make it in the game along with other topics that would fit much better in a thread targeting that issue.

So, once again I'm going to ask for people to just think about what they wanna say and where would it be most appropriate to post it at. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thoughts about developpement time :
- SCV has been splitted to make sure that the game release at a certain time. Games have "launch window" where they know that it wouldn't be too much saturated by other fighting game. Maybe they decided also to delay SC6, because it wouldn't survive before T7 SFV AE and DBFZ ? I don't know. I mean look at MvCII, it could have survived if they weren't other new (better) game launching around.

Last edited:
For me, it's Viola > Amy > Raphael.
As a character there's not much to Amy, but her style has a fantastic sense of flow that Raphael could never achieve.

THAAAAAAAAAANK YOU. I don't know why there's multiple "But it's the same character" NO!!! There is certainly a distinction.

Did I say it was complete? Of course not! I'm not that ignorant. However "same character so no answer" definitely doesn't cut it in the question.

Also, the people on Twitter regarding that crazed list clearly don't think as smartly as us, and so I'd responded with:

Since we see people like Tira/Talim, we should probably assume that SCVI is like an MK9 reboot (i.e. ProjectSoul: "fuck logic, we're in charge") instead of something normal. I don't doubt or support this list, but I do hope for Tira (and this "Annette" girl).
Though someone already addressed my concerns in this alleged Annette girl, as I'm about a 60% close-range fighter; thinking about distinction from Ivy, I'd forgotten about that and was just excited for the likes of a leather whip. My thought is that they will give her removed Ivy stuff, such as the SC2 stances where she was swinging the sword around in whip form -- or vice versa, in which they might give Ivy much of her old style back and pass new stuff to Annette. Especially since I personally think such things as "Coil" would directly fit the actual style inspiring Ivy's.

Pre-order characters are hardly ever exclusive to pre-order. And, if we're being honest, this is the least of our worries when it comes to their attempts to make money.

Okubo said in that facebook interview that (for the moment at least) the DLC is planned to be sold in the orthodox way, which is a good sign. Hopefully it stays that way.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but given some seven games of development, we pretty much know Project Soul's development habits and that list pretty much debunks itself.

Come on guys, we KNOW that PS won't put in character styles without some gimmicks included into them. Look at our newest character, Groh, double-bladed weapons - already an exotic weapon style in Europe that didn't see that much use - and PS felt that the weapon wasn't unique enough, and felt necessary to give Groh the ability to seperate the blades into individual shortswords AND a special transformation that lets him teleport.

Same with Hilde. Obviously, they could've given her just a spear, but that alone wasn't enough, they included a shortsword to make the character more unique and standout. Setsuka's traditional Iaijutsu utilizes an umbrella. Cervantes has a gun attached to his parrying dagger. Voldo is blind, deaf, and mute, fights with katars in a completely non-traditional manner. And so on and so forth.

Yes, there are some wholly traditional styles in Soul Calibur, Mitsurugi, Kilik and Xianghua are long-recorded and well-documented styles that have been around for century or more. But every one of these traditional styles has some elements of exaggeration in the Soul Calibur sense and style. But look at Ivy, her weapon is a sword that turns into a whip and utilizes a ton of whip-like animations. Because a simple whip wasn't enough, it had to be a sword that could turn in one. You think Ivy can live alongside a new character with just a leather whip?

Put it another way, you think Talim's tonfas with sharp blades was enough? It wasn't, they had include circus-parlor acrobatics and parkour into her style just to make it stand out more.

That does bring to mind something, the crazy weapon styles they'll come up with I think are the most exciting part of new characters. Just look at SCV, who would have guessed that its two proper new fighting styles would've been a magic floating ball and a Jojo stand?

Who knows what else they'll come up with this time if the first character revealed has a splitting twinblade and teleports.

Also when should we expect Kayane's interview? I always like reading the interviews with fans, they generally have better questions than standard games journalists interviewers do.

I personally do think Ivy could stand aside such a character. (I'd use Seong-Mina and Kilik as an example but something tells me it's not the right comparison . . . there's also the likes of Sop./Cas., maybe?) Of course, this is not to say that I have full trust in the list or the character, as I have pretty little. HOWEVER, just because Ivy has such strong and highly-numbered whip features, that doesn't mean I'm just going to throw out Project Soul's equally high sense of creativity, some of which you've just described very nicely for us. So "pretty much debunked"? Not yet, I believe.

Last edited:
Why everyone acts so seriously to a baseless leak from a random dude on 4chan?
Similar leaks are posted to nearly every thread about any video game on /v/ (do I need to point out that they always turn out to be completely false?), why everyone suddenly cares about that one?
Besides we already have a reliable leaker - Vergeben, that proved being true by ACTUALLY predicting characters and mechanics before announcements.

Why everyone acts so seriously to a baseless leak from a random dude on 4chan?
Similar leaks are posted to nearly every thread about any video game on /v/ (do I need to point out that they always turn out to be completely false?), why everyone suddenly cares about that one?
Besides we already have a reliable leaker - Vergeben, that proved being true by ACTUALLY predicting characters and mechanics before announcements.

Probably because there is an overall lack of information from Bamco, so people will wildly speculate on the smallest pieces of information they can get their hands on, including questionable leaks. I low-key wonder if I'm just old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back