Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

Who is the dude with the axe? That can’t be a Bangoo fanart, it looks too modern
SCpedia says: Bangoo is ADOPTED son of Rock.
His past is known only that his parents are killed by Voldo and Vercci
Therefore I will not be surprised, if in SC6 Bangoo will be dressed like Romeo, fights with daggers and peppy screams "VIVA ASSASINI!! VIVA EZIO!!" ;)

Something kinda this

His past is known only that his parents are killed by Voldo and Vercci
Rock:
Rock's father had bid on Soul Edge at a secret auction, and was bringing it home on his ship with family on board when the dread pirate Cervantes de Leon attacked. Rock's father ran to the storage room to hide Soul Edge, and his mother ran after to stop him, telling Rock to stay where he was until their return; but they never came back, and the ship sank before they even had the chance. Rock washed up on the shore of the New World, where he learned to live off the land as the Native Americans had been practicing for many centuries before.
Bangoo:
He lost his parents in tribal warfare and was the only native to develop a relationship with the "White Giant" during his first years in the New World.

I maintain that Algol is a no-no in SC6 until I see his reveal trailer. His style does not lend itself well to Creation and they will need to do work to make it mesh with the various body sizes and pieces.

What saves Azwel is that he "summons" the soul weapons. They are not actually protruding from Azwel's body. So it doesn't look bad to have CAS characters use Azwel's moves. It looks really sketchy if a little CAS waifu starts having shoulder blades come out of her elbow
I'm not sure this is really a problem from the perspective of most players, but regardless, what is going to change between SCVI and SCVII? They still face the same choice vis-a-vis Algol and creation: either don't include him as a creation option as SCIV and V opted to do) or do so and live with the weird visual discontinuity (which I agree could be an issue, though perhaps not one that can't be mitigated by some variety in the animations). Whichever they ultimately opt for, I don't see how that effects the likelihood of his appearance any more than it did the last two times he appeared in a game with creation in it. Now I do tend to think that he is one of the legacy characters who is least likely to appear in SCVI, but for a slew of other factors entirely. Also, why would the effect look more 'sketchy' with a female than a male character?

From my own experiences with SoulCalibur V save data modification, making Algol’s style forced on either a male or female character produces the same results, in that most of his appendages simply don’t appear. They clearly have never intended his style to be used this way, and likely would continue that trend of not letting you create characters using his style, instead only being able to customize Algol himself. Unless they made an Algol race in SoulCalibur VII or something, but that’s entirely another can of worms. I actually feel like races has been a failure of an idea, in that most people seem to not use them, and the few that do, they’re limited by the equipment selection that it’s frustrating.

From my own experiences with SoulCalibur V save data modification, making Algol’s style forced on either a male or female character produces the same results, in that most of his appendages simply don’t appear. They clearly have never intended his style to be used this way, and likely would continue that trend of not letting you create characters using his style, instead only being able to customize Algol himself. Unless they made an Algol race in SoulCalibur VII or something, but that’s entirely another can of worms. I actually feel like races has been a failure of an idea, in that most people seem to not use them, and the few that do, they’re limited by the equipment selection that it’s frustrating.
I don't see how that's a "failure", however. For anyone whose done any degree of detailed modding in the iterative versions of this franchise's creation modules over the years, the races are actually a massive godsend: they open up so many design possibilities that would just not be available otherwise. And taking a quick perusal of the database of live creations, it seems to me that basically one in three or four creations uses a non-human base, so I'd disagree that most people don't use them. I've used every race at least twice among my not-quite hundreds of SCVI creations, and non-humans make up nearly half of my creations.

Now, if you're saying that the same assets and features which make up the races could be added in a more modular fashion, I suppose that's true, but at the same time it is clear that this is just their way of walling the user off from technical conflicts in the assets. Maybe if the fans were less needy about getting everything and the kitchen sink in this game and less effort was therefore being wasted on (say, just for for example) time-wasting visual novels in the story modes...well, then we could bust the devs' chops more about wanting to have every asset (or more of them anyway) work with every race build. But for those who insist that such modes are actually worth a little shorter-shrifting on components such as creation, I can only say "[With vexation, as if you are trying to reach through the monitor and strangle some sense into your fellow community members]: "Grarahhgarrraaaaaaarrrr....ghhrrrrarg!"

Kappa Kappa Kappa

Regardless, as a veteran fan of the series who now spends an unseemly fraction of their time with the game on creation, I think the races represent perhaps the biggest deepening of the formula in this iteration of the editor.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, the races (or rather one race in particular) might be just the solution to the Algol-creation conundrum: we do have a race called "shapeshifters" who at present do absolutely zero shapeshifting, and whose monocrhome/liquid metal-looking models would be most amenable to having Algol's weapon-limbs emanate from. Maybe you just make them the only creation models who accept Algol's style. It would certainly reduce the work-load necesary to making the moveset visually viable for creations.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am engaging in a bit of projection, here, but I just really can't be bothered to make characters with the other races, most of the time. I have tried, of course, but there's always something about the non-human types that gets in the way of my design, or I can't do what I want to do for arbitrary reasons, it's just frustrating to deal with. Lizardmen definitely being the worst, but also the Fully Malfested / Nightmare SoulCalibur IV body and Darksider, they just inhibit so much of everything that you really just can't make what you want to do. And then the other ones that do have a better parts selection aren't enough not-human to really justify their existence, and would rather their parts just be a piece of extra equipment. Yes, it technically does free up an extra equipment slot that you wouldn't have to use otherwise, but at the same time it still limits what you can do with the free piece, so it still has negatives. I do feel like it was a good idea, don't get me wrong, and if it's expanded upon and given more love, then I'd use it more, but as it is, I just... can't. The best thing it's done for me personally is enabling the use of the Revenant voice, really not sure why that was locked out of SoulCalibur III and SoulCalibur IV.

Now, maybe if the fans were less needy about getting everything and the kitchen sink in this and less effort was being wasted on (say for example) time-wasting visual novels in the story modes...well, then we could bust their chops more about wanting to have every asset work with every race build. But for those who insist that such modes are actually worth a little shorter-shrifting on components such as creation, I can only say "[With vexation, as if you are trying to reach through the monitor and strangle some sense into your fellow community members]: "Grarahhgarrraaaaaaarrrr....ghhrrrrarg!"
This, though, is an affront to my identity and I cannot stand for such injustice. "(Adopt the smuggest possible face and composure you can before raising your sword and saying the following) You must be malfested, a shame there's no way to prove otherwise!"

I can't imagine my levels of disappointment if SoulCalibur VII pares back the narrative of the story modes to anything less than what we have right now.

Perhaps I am engaging in a bit of projection, here, but I just really can't be bothered to make characters with the other races, most of the time. I have tried, of course, but there's always something about the non-human types that gets in the way of my design, or I can't do what I want to do for arbitrary reasons, it's just frustrating to deal with. Lizardmen definitely being the worst, but also the Fully Malfested / Nightmare SoulCalibur IV body and Darksider, they just inhibit so much of everything that you really just can't make what you want to do. And then the other ones that do have a better parts selection aren't enough not-human to really justify their existence, and would rather their parts just be a piece of extra equipment. Yes, it technically does free up an extra equipment slot that you wouldn't have to use otherwise, but at the same time it still limits what you can do with the free piece, so it still has negatives. I do feel like it was a good idea, don't get me wrong, and if it's expanded upon and given more love, then I'd use it more, but as it is, I just... can't. The best thing it's done for me personally is enabling the use of the Revenant voice, really not sure why that was locked out of SoulCalibur III and SoulCalibur IV.
For me, I'd say a significant portion of my creations in VI are concepts that I might have previously wanted to create, but could not have even begun to approach without the new skins and other features offered by the races. These are often (but certainly not exclusively) reference works. I actually spent a few hours this week archiving/sourcing images of almost every character I still have from amongst those I've made over the years--a couple dozen for SCIII, a couple dozen for SCIV (there were once over a hundred, but a file lost the majority of them, alas), seventy for SCV, and about a hundred and fifty for SCVI. All for the purpose of creating a jumbo gallery in the creations forum here of my efforts over the years. So when I get around to that, I think it will be obvious what I mean when I say that it has opened up lots of options for my rather varied collection of both original and referential creations, when I do that.

This, though, is an affront to my identity and I cannot stand for such injustice. "(Adopt the smuggest possible face and composure you can before raising your sword and saying the following) You must be malfested, a shame there's no way to prove otherwise!"

I can't imagine my levels of disappointment if SoulCalibur VII pares back the narrative of the story modes to anything less than what we have right now.
The good thing is that, with the continuing support model gaining acceptance, in future games we can both have our way to some extent (or at least, there will be less tension between those interests, and more satisfaction with the final product to go around). Still, to the extent that there are choices to be made and features to prioritize, my personal hierarchy will always go like this: Integrity of core gameplay mechanics, including complexity, synergy, polish, and balance > variety of movesets/playstyles > quality art design and presentation > reliability of multiplayer implementation, online included > overall variety of modes > robustness of character creation >>>>>>>>>>> hearing the limitless melodrama that voice actors were asked to pour into a mic, paired with the cheapest possible non-animations, all in support of one of the goofiest pop-fantasy stories ever told in the medium.

Setsuka is gonna be Godlike
Providing she has no stupid gimmick. Just give her just frame windows the size of Geralt's just frame move and perfect just frame windows with properties that put you at more advantage than a standard just frame. That way you keep her core appeal while expanding the satisfying feeling of landing them.

Providing she has no stupid gimmick. Just give her just frame windows the size of Geralt's just frame move and perfect just frame windows with properties that put you at more advantage than a standard just frame. That way you keep her core appeal while expanding the satisfying feeling of landing them.
I kinda doubt they will go that route considering how they tackled jf in this game so far.
I even got a thought that they will push her into S3 (if it'll exist at all) so they may have a strong and popular pick for it.
Hope that I'm wrong on both of those tho

The solution to algol is simple. If they want to include him but can’t have him be customizable then they include him in SC7 base game and simply not allow custom characters to use his style.

Asking people to buy algol if they can’t fix his style for creation is a bit of a step down from everyone so far

Let’s say they do push Setsuka into season three, then who do you feel like the rest of season two would be?

Pretty sure Setsuka is in, but if we play the IF game. Then i say the 2 remaining are Hwang and Lizardman, or Hwang and Algol.

Pretty sure Setsuka is in, but if we play the IF game. Then i say the 2 remaining are Hwang and Lizardman, or Hwang and Algol.

I think Setsuka is in too, but it's honestly a big wtf that they didn't open Season 2 with her. She simply has to be the most requested character. There is no way Hilde has more fans asking for her over Setsuka

I think Setsuka is in too, but it's honestly a big wtf that they didn't open Season 2 with her. She simply has to be the most requested character. There is no way Hilde has more fans asking for her over Setsuka

Hum i honestly don't see why she have to be first just because she's the most requested, also sometimes it's good to keep the strongest bullet for the last, she may also be the least advance character in development of all the 4 characters.

Something we are sure about because it's was said by Okubo himself is that they put Haomaru 2nd because they wanted to release him as soon as possible, but because he's brand new character it's was not possible to put him 1st in Season 2 so they put him as 2nd S2 character, now that's Hilde tht took that 1st Spot.

Hum i honestly don't see why she have to be first just because she's the most requested, also sometimes it's good to keep the strongest bullet for the last, she may also be the least advance character in development of all the 4 characters.

Something we are sure about because it's was said by Okubo himself is that they put Haomaru 2nd because they wanted to release him as soon as possible, but because he's brand new character it's was not possible to put him 1st in Season 2 so they put him as 2nd S2 character, now that's Hilde tht took that 1st Spot.

I know tekken is not the same, but they launched Season 2 with Lei and Anna. These were easily the most requested characters that did not make it into Tekken 7 and it was so amazing to see them come back

I still want to know what Okubo meant when he said the first S2 character will be a ressurection/comeback, because if he meant "a character who hasn't appeared for a long time", then I'd say that Hilde, who has appeared in every Soulcalibur game since her debut, doesn't really fit that criteria. That description seems more befitting for a character who hasn't been playable since SC4/BD or before.

I think he was just trolling Hwang fans, personally. That or resurrection just meant a returning character, as opposed to a newcomer. It was a brief interview and clarity wasn’t able to be sought after that question because it was near the end. Though maybe he was actually talking about her smirk-inducing cameo character, he was certainly resurrected.

Back