Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

Algol can't be CaS'd and is thus half a character. Is why a lot of people, myself included are opposed to him.

No, that is not why a lot of people are opposed to him. They dont like him because of how he is. Its somewhat annoying at most that he isnt CASable. You've been on and on about this as if CAS is the most important aspect of the game. Even to extreme degrees when it isnt nearly as important as you suggest. In any case there was an improvement from 4 to 5 in that regard so saying "he isnt CASable" is premature if we're talking his hypothetical inclusion for this game.

Algol should be back using just the wave swords. All that bubble blowing stuff was lame . Need more normal weapons and less magic.

They aren't going to completely remove a key aspect to his moveset like that. Maybe they'll do adjustments to the appearance or frequency of it but that is about it.

Yeah he shouldn’t as a base move set. Almost all the characters added with magic have been disliked over those who don’t.
By you, perhaps. You can only speak for yourself, there is little evidence that the majority of the playerbase actually dislikes magic users, in fact, that poll that they made after SC5 (supposedly for SC6's roster), had Viola a mainly magic user, who was added in the least liked game in the series, and having no story, topping Maxi, Hilde, Astaroth, Lizardman and Aeon (even though the last two are the same, even if you put the two together they still are below her), so yeah, people seem to like magic quite a bit, as such, again, speak for yourself.

By you, perhaps. You can only speak for yourself, there is little evidence that the majority of the playerbase actually dislikes magic users, in fact, that poll that they made after SC5 (supposedly for SC6's roster), had Viola a mainly magic user, who was added in the least liked game in the series, and having no story, topping Maxi, Hilde, Astaroth, Lizardman and Aeon (even though the last two are the same, even if you put the two together they still are below her), so yeah, people seem to like magic quite a bit, as such, again, speak for yourself.
Yeah, I didn't know I was speaking for everyone when giving my opinion. Also, Viola was not anywhere near the top so.... Anyways lets just say you're right and end it there.

Yeah, I didn't know I was speaking for everyone when giving my opinion. Also, Viola was not anywhere near the top so.... Anyways lets just say you're right and end it there.
Don't even try bringing the "my opinion" card. You said that almost all characters with magic have been disliked, you didn't say it was you who disliked them (even though it was), which means you were implying that, at least, a significant number of people aside from you also disliked them, an argument you can't sustain.

@Rusted Blade I have come to conceded to you that the Yell one will be Li Long. But it is only because I have noticed allot of happenings within the Soul Chronicle and Libra of Soul. Where I once stood that he has nothing to add he in fact does now. But Algol is name of a star. And Lizardman is a reptile. Rock is a Stone. They aren't exact name translations. And Setsuka doesn't literally mean snow; as in snow on the ground. But it's like snow flower so they aren't exact translations. I don;t think they will make Hilde yet any longer because mentions are even laced as mention to the future. Her model would be younger and the way Bamco is moving and having to re-render everything into the Unreal Engine I can see them lazily not wanting to make a young Hilde this game and then a older Hilde in the next one. It's best they save what assests they have that can be converted rather than having to build everything brick by brick again. And before you say most of the cast had too. You have to remember the last two games released were Soul Calibur 5 and Soul Calibur the Lost Swords. Between those two every character besides Hwang, Rock , Setsuka, Yun and Li-Long had updated models. Ironically the DLCs for season two cast. But I'm still going with Algol for Star because it's not Yun's time yet.

Li Long gets into a relationship with that girl from the Fu-Ma clan and eventually comes back to marry her. Toki no longer absorbs gel-o-fury meaning he is still alive. There is a Fu-Ma Clan arc outside of just focusing on Taki now and now he can be more involved in this. He was excluded from Soul Calibur 1-2 but now he can contribute more and have a more defined character and assist....I forget the sect of the Fu-Ma clan that just watches the head of the clan for signs going crazy....them in stopping Toki from getting Soul Edge. I see that the new DLC characters end up getting Soul Chronicles Time map being edited to allow characters to have new spots prior to 1583. But he has much to put into the story now.

Correct me if i'm wrong here but this is all related to the Fu-Ma clan specifically and not even involving a single confrontation with any playable characters. Aside from that, he's got a single lost duel with Cervantes and that is about it. His story will just be run-ins with CAS made assasins and Fu-Ma ninjas.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. You'll have to share the screencaps (if you don't mind) if Zasalamel literally says he think Algol has awakened, because I think you've read into or misremembered something wrong, because I have no recollection of that. Now, I'll grant you, I am not super big on the story of this franchise--I tend to find it a little ham-fisted, silly, and bad structured--so I did A LOT of skipping of that canned, uninspired dialogue in Libra. But I did watch most of the interactions with Zasalamel and read his entire chronicles summary, and I just recall nothing of the sort. Also, taking a look at TresDias' very detailed breakdown of the SCVI plot and how much it parallels the original narrative beats of the first iteration of the story (which is to say, virtually identical in most respects), it seems to suggest that Zasalamel details Algol's story in Chronicles and and then ends with noting in the Libra epilogue that Algol is still in the Astral Chaos.

But much more problematic to your theory, I think, is that I believe you may dropping into some wish fulfilment by assuming STAR=Algol. Other than 'YELL', all of the forthcoming character codenames are either a straight translation or a synonym/near synonym for the actual name of a character. Setsuka=SNOW, Rock=STONE, Hwang=YELLOW, Lizardman=REPTILE....and Yun-Seong=STAR. That's a much better fit for the obvious pattern than "he has a few moves with 'star' in the name" or "a completely different fantasy video game series once had a star system named the 'Algol system' in it, twenty fives years ago." In fact, I think the only reason we got 'YELL' was because the last spot goes to Li Long, and they couldn't just call him DRAGON, because then people would lose their heads wondering if the second season pass was going to feature SCI-IV Lizardman and SCV Aeon. Which is not what you want when you just took a chance on an effort to disguise your viral marketing as a leak (and you were lucky enough to discover your fanbase was more gullible about such things than you could have ever dreamed possible)--a situation in which you don't want to send certain messages that fans may be confused by, like the possibility of having versions of Lizzi from opposite ends of the story arc.

So, STAR = Algol is wish fulfillment and you're saying all characters must directly translate their names into the codeword...

but the excuse for Li Long not being DRAGON is just because it conflicts with Aeon? Aeon doesnt directly translate into DRAGON anyway.

Last edited:
The names not directly translating is my point. No one's name but Hwang's directly does it and it's his stage theme music. My main point is that the characters being included are heavy Soul Chronicle inclusions because of how they have directed the remaining characters in Soul Chronicle and Libra of Soul. So I'm not going to repeat writing such a long explanation. I believe I finished the Libra of Souls missions and I just want to point out that you never meet Siegfried/Nightmare but you hear about him killing is dad. This plays into a different hypothesis I have about Siegfried's armor. And if you would like to see the information on Algol just go to your missions log and play Zasalamel's three side missions; History of a Man, The Hero King, Libra of Scales. All these begin foreshadowing Algol and then he makes his appearance through the Conduit.

Has anyone seen the Amy trailer in English yet? Have you ever heard Nightmare saw something so corny as "Have you confessed your sins?" besides when he gave Astraroth and Aeon their coden ames? I don't think that is actually happening, more or less is Amy's thoughts and fear for going after Raphael.

Algol should be back using just the wave swords. All that bubble blowing stuff was lame . Need more normal weapons and less magic.
That's a great idea to get those weapons back in the game. I personally think he just shouldn't have Soul Calibur and Soul Edge as his primary hand weapons. Since he's from a civilization we never saw before, we don't know if he went under the knife with those sages to make himself a walking weapon. So he should have one weapon that is just the original Soul Edge and another sword, then the sword combo.

This sort of thing should kind of be expected from the boss character of a game. Dont they need something to distinguish them from the rest of the cast?

He's less magical than Azwel in that most of the things he creates are still physically swung in melee rather than everything levitated.

2B definitely strikes me as a boss type if she weren't a guest i'd say she definitely fit as a boss or secret character.

Last edited:
Rock getting in rather than Algol doesnt piss me off. Its both Yun and Hwang that bothers me. I'd like for PS to make a decision between the two of them, not both. I'm still holding out some hope that "star" is Algol but that might be a long shot. Oh and of course Li Long would also be very annoying.

Not interested in digging up those pointless arguments consisting of "but they can easily change these characters to make them different". Or "Hwang and Yun fight very differently". I dont care. Several duplicated weapons will still be very disappointing.
It's quite possible to have both Yun-Seong and Hwang by giving them a different weapon. I kind of envision Yun-Seong with a "Korean Sword" which looks closer to a one handed Katana than a Dao and he could also take in a few moves from The Apprentice from SoulCalibur IV to further differentiate him.

Li Long could also be made to be more different by being given a three-section staff, which is what they called his weapon in the European version of Soul Blade as a way to censor Nunchucks. The actual weapon is completely different from a Nunchuck.

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but Algol seems relatively more or less on the same level as Azwel.
I'm not a big fan of Azwel's moveset either. I would much rather see more grounded weapons like a three-section staff, flail, javelin & shield, hook swords, dagger, and more.
However, the biggest difference between Azwel and Algol appears to be that Azwel has a personality that can easily be made into a meme while Algol is too bland. Also, unlike the other meme character Dampierre, Azwel's design is actually good and fits well with the rest of the cast.

Azwel and Algol are great as two extremes to their spectrum. Like Abyss and Elysium. Algol may be all the world will tremble at my feet, yet he is still a loving man and father. He is a formidable warrior, he doesn't really fight dishonorably. Even though he is an "Evil" boss he is more like an Anti-Hero. There really are no Heroes and Villains in war because one side will always suffer at the others behalf. Azwel on the other hand is like the crazy magician/alchemist person. Who is dishonorable and manipulates others. Even though he has some attacks that he comes straight at you, most of them are ethereal. They will always play off each other wonderfully.

No, that is not why a lot of people are opposed to him. They dont like him because of how he is. Its somewhat annoying at most that he isnt CASable. You've been on and on about this as if CAS is the most important aspect of the game. Even to extreme degrees when it isnt nearly as important as you suggest. In any case there was an improvement from 4 to 5 in that regard so saying "he isnt CASable" is premature if we're talking his hypothetical inclusion for this game.
If Algol does make a return I’m sure he’ll be just as meter heavy as he was in SCV.

Back