Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

Silver-wind

[05] Battler
I think Amy’s transformation story into Viola right now is clear and interesting. So, I am afraid for it to be changed to include Viola earlier. But, I have been thinking about ways to introduce Viola earlier. Please bear with my ideas lol.

It seems as though Amy turns into Viola sometime after Soul Calibur IV. But, the little gaps of explanation that still exist in this transformation story allow hidden/ new parts of her story to emerge. Amy could experience a Jekyll & Hyde situation: Occasionally turning into Viola and back without knowing.

Viola’s biography mentions her waking up in the middle of a town deep in the forest. The town is in chaos. She does not remember anything, but the orb is beside her. What if this could be the moment in which she permanently becomes Viola. Hyde takes over?

Sorry for my wall of text lol.

DanteSC3

[14] Master
Gameplay variety > Story accuracy
To an extent, yes...

Just make Viola an Amy's clone and voila (no pun intended)
...but no, not like this.

Throwing away their new and improved narrative structure and flow would be a massive mistake. They have been using their new position to retell the story in a fairly cohesive and complete manner, and people have been loving it. Even with Hilde, we are seeing her a couple of years before she declares jihad on Algol, and thus are / will be learning more about her family and background. This is fine and only serves to enrich the characters and their depth. It breaks the “past” but not in a way that clashes with the “future”. It remains consistently canon without breaking anything.

@Silver-wind No offense meant, but the suggestion that Amy has a Jekyll / Hyde situation where she immediately drops her rapier and uses the spell orb instead and then goes right back to her rapier afterwards just comes across as incredibly silly and disingenuous. She does have to learn how to use it somehow, yes, and it’s unlikely that she just drops the rapier overnight and masters the spell orb, but it seems the likeliest to me that when she’s close to or at her tipping point, Azwel takes her rapier from her, as a symbol of her past life, and she is forced to adapt to the spell orb to use it for her new life. But this needs framing, either way, and can’t possibly happen before the events of SoulCalibur II’s ending, which they have made abundantly clear that Amy will have a larger role in, so the inclusion of Viola now would be incredibly tacky.

Heniek

[12] Conqueror
To an extent, yes...

...but no, not like this.

Throwing away their new and improved narrative structure and flow would be a massive mistake. They have been using their new position to retell the story in a fairly cohesive and complete manner, and people have been loving it. Even with Hilde, we are seeing her a couple of years before she declares jihad on Algol, and thus are / will be learning more about her family and background. This is fine and only serves to enrich the characters and their depth. It breaks the “past” but not in a way that clashes with the “future”. It remains consistently canon without breaking anything.
Of course it would be a retarded way to do so. I used that awful example just to remind that they can add whatever character they want.
If I recall correctly you were quite negative on the notion that they will add Hilde for lore reasons and yet here we are. Of course adding Hilde requires nowhere near as much of story twisting as adding Viola but still we need to keep such an eventuality in mind.

I'm still hoping we will get Hwang tho. He and his fanbase absolutely deserve it

Silver-wind

[05] Battler
Oh, no offense taken @DanteSC3! I’m always happy to see your responses to my wild ideas lol.

I agree with you that Project Soul has retold Soul Calibur with much more clarity and consistency. That is why I’m afraid to try to fit Viola in lol. I really enjoyed the stories in this game!

I admit, leaving her rapier behind to use an orb to fight is questionable lol. But, Viola’s bio does mention she feels an attachment to the orb. I wonder if she naturally knows that it is a weapon and uses it instead? Also, if she feels a draw to the orb, would Viola use a rapier she has never seen before?

Viola’s bio doesn’t seem to mention her learning to use the orb (as a weapon). But, a pilgriming(traveling) group teaches her how to read the stars (which I thought she knew how to do innately).

Although Amy transforms into Viola, she is still Amy (personality wise). This Soul Calibur seemed to emphasize not only Amy’s possible psychic abilities, but her clever/intuitive side as well. Maybe she taught herself to use the orb? She had a few (quick it seems) lessons with Raphael and became able to properly use her rapier to attack a trained assassin.

Viola’s use of the orb is kind of crafty (like Amy lol). It requires some strategy and intuition.

Still, I think your story is a lot more straightforward and clear: which is probably the best choice to make.

^
What have I done @_@. Sorry for all of the text again. Had to explain myself lol.

DanteSC3

[14] Master
@Heniek I realize, of course, they can do whatever they want, and in addition to that, they’ve shown themselves to subvert expectations, using Hilde as an example. My personal negativity towards adding Hilde for lore reasons was rooted in the past, that Hilde’s reason to fight was to defeat Algol, commanding her own forces before then, but feeling compelled to act herself on this new threat.

It still will, I feel, make Algol feel less special in the long run, considering he won’t have a true protagonist to go against his role as antagonist. At least, not in the same way. Hilde’s ending did end up being the canon ending of SoulCalibur IV, after all, making her the hero instead of Siegfried. It’s not impossible that this still happens, of course, but the idea that Hilde rose up to defeat Algol as her main drive, and succeeded in that role, is far more heroic a tale than it is for her to have personally fought against and failed to defeat Nightmare in the past, though maybe it does make it more epic, I don’t know. Point being, I’m not sure who Algol’s “rival” is going to be now.

All I’m saying is that while Hilde was unexpected, Viola is far beyond unexpected, to the point of incredulity. It’s maybe possible to get Z.W.E.I., to establish his origin that is, for now, shrouded in mystery, but again, they have to save SOMETHING for SoulCalibur VII, else they won’t have justification to add new characters. Viola can also be one of those somethings, and given her ties to Z.W.E.I., it would make far more sense for them to be introduced together.

Hilde is a marketable character, to be sure, and would have been a strong selling point for the next game in the series. I understand that everyone wants every character back, but if they give us all the heavy hitters now versus later, then the next game feels like it won’t have as much shine.

Either that, or they’ll sell us a third of the roster back as DLC again...:sc5dam1:

Silver-wind

[05] Battler
Please don’t hate me lol:

I think Dampierre adds a lot of personality to the game. He’s not only bombastic, like Azwel, but his style of fighting is something to watch. I would like it if he were slightly more on the good side though lol.

DanteSC3

[14] Master
Point being, I’m not sure who Algol’s “rival” is going to be now.
I'm pretty sure that's Mitsurugi and always has been Mitsurugi.
In the literal sense of the word, yes. But I put rival in quotes as a means to describe it in the way of hero versus villain, that sort of rivalry. Mitsurugi just wants a strong opponent, without any semblance of good and evil. That’s not really the marketing angle you go for when there’s a holy sword versus a dark sword. Mitsurugi just ends up disappointed at not being able to test his skills anyway, since the pesky heroes get in his way time and time again.

Klimat

[09] Warrior
In the literal sense of the word, yes. But I put rival in quotes as a means to describe it in the way of hero versus villain, that sort of rivalry. Mitsurugi just wants a strong opponent, without any semblance of good and evil.
Hilde & Siegfried vs Nightmare clash already covers the good vs evil part of the story pretty well, Mitsurugi vs Algol being a little bit different makes it more interesting in my opinion when both battles literally occur at the same time.

FluffyQuack

[14] Master
Please don’t hate me lol:

I think Dampierre adds a lot of personality to the game. He’s not only bombastic, like Azwel, but his style of fighting is something to watch. I would like it if he were slightly more on the good side though lol.
I would be completely okay with Dampierre returning. I like having one joke character available in a fighting game, and Dampierre was fun to mess around with in SC5. That said, I'm also not really bothered if he doesn't end up in the game at all. Characters who are more popular should have priority.

Silver-wind

[05] Battler
@Dissidia Did you happen to see my post on Hwang/ Assassin in the general thread : )? If you ignored it, you can be honest lol. You are probably asking yourself, “ which one”. I post quite a bit about Hwang •_• lol. It’s the one with pictures of Soul Calibur 2 assassin. Not sure if I should repost it here. Don’t want to bother everyone lol.

Silver-wind

[05] Battler
Reposted & Edited for this thread:

The grey slot will really be a mystery. I don’t want to give Hwang fans (like me) false hope. But, like Soul mentioned, Hwang or someone else could be redesigned and have prominent grey in their outfit.

If Hwang is introduced, I feel as though his assassin/ninja look will be brought out more, especially since his model would be made from scratch (?).

With this, he could be using darker colors. In particular, I have been thinking about arm guards and leg guards (Silver) - not unlike two of Assassin’s alt costumes. Please forgive my wild guesses and this wall of text.

*Edit: Beserker ( Rock’s replacement) also wears armor. It could be a bonus character = armor = not important situation. Trying to avoid false hope while giving some lol

1572887165741.jpeg

1573173783631.jpeg