Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

People are of course entitled to say whatever they feel like but the truth is that not releasing Hwang in a reboot of the series is a crime. From being the Ryu of Street Fighter, the Akira of Virtua Fighter in the series, he was unfairly mistreated by turning him into a cheap assasin in 2 and then criminally underestimated as a mere extra in 3 and from there he was taken into full oblivion. I will not lose hope until the very last DLC.

I like Hwang, but he was never the Ryu or Akira of Soul Calibur. That's Mitsurugi.

Hwang was a secret character back in the arcade version of Soul Blade, and even in the console version he shared most of his moves with Mitsurugi. He was also a time-release character in SoulCalibur, and again shared most of his moves with Xianghua.

There is no "Ryu of Soulcalibur" i feel a legitimate argument could be made for Siegfried, Mitsurugi, Sophitia, Kilik, Xianghua depending on the game and when exactly we are talking about it.

Hwang not being here isnt really the crime. The crime is no Dao. Bear in mind i hate Yun and was excited to see Hwang but... oh well, it is what it is i guess. Even those of us who prefer Hwang should ask ourselves honestly which between him and Yun is PS going to prioritize?

Contextually with SoulCalibur VI, Hwang has a lot more presence than Yun-seong, and he leaves the impression that he would have been included, given more time and budget. Hwang is featured in and participates in both story modes, has a story to tell (the other perspective of Seong Mi-na’s story, to complete the circle), and yet is oddly not seen in combat. Yun-seong gets a passing mention, once, in Libra of Soul only. It really felt like they just did it out of obligation.

Contextually with SoulCalibur VI, Hwang has a lot more presence than Yun-seong, and he leaves the impression that he would have been included, given more time and budget. Hwang is featured in and participates in both story modes, has a story to tell (the other perspective of Seong Mi-na’s story, to complete the circle), and yet is oddly not seen in combat. Yun-seong gets a passing mention, once, in Libra of Soul only. It really felt like they just did it out of obligation.

I agree and all of that makes sense but i'm thinking if they didnt have time to really get Hwang in the game properly, they would just say "screw it" and give him the NPC treatment knowing they're just going to eventually go the Yun route anyway.

Edit: It looks to me a similar "screw it" mindset was taken with Lizardman and Rock. Basically they dont care about them.

I'm not sold on the whole 2 Daos idea. I feel there are some excuses that works for Cassandra, Amy and Siegfried.

PS would still likely bring back Yun-seong if a dao user was gonna be in the game, but it’s looking more like neither of them are going to return because both aren’t nearly as popular as any of the female characters, despite what “statistics” may say otherwise.

I agree and all of that makes sense but i'm thinking if they didnt have time to really get Hwang in the game properly, they would just say "screw it" and give him the NPC treatment knowing they're just going to eventually go the Yun route anyway.

Edit: It looks to me a similar "screw it" mindset was taken with Lizardman and Rock. Basically they dont care about them.

I'm not sold on the whole 2 Daos idea. I feel there are some excuses that works for Cassandra, Amy and Siegfried.

Honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't make Hwang as kick-heavy as Yun. I mean, the guy's essentially the SC equivalent of Hwoarang from Tekken. As for Aeon, PS could make it work by giving him a mix of moves from both his appeareances with his axe and shield moveset and maybe his dual axes moves, more moves for his winged form (hell, there could be something that they can use from Spawn's levitation stance, right?) and a bit of regular Pat's moves (with Cassandra, should she be included, having the bulk of it).

But yeah, Rock has ZERO chance whatsoever, since Astaroth pretty much took over his "grappling-heavy giant weapon wielder" gimmick by that point. And honestly, a golem is more unique than a stranded Englishman, when it comes to backstories.

Honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't make Hwang as kick-heavy as Yun. I mean, the guy's essentially the SC equivalent of Hwoarang from Tekken. As for Aeon, PS could make it work by giving him a mix of moves from both his appeareances with his axe and shield moveset and maybe his dual axes moves, more moves for his winged form (hell, there could be something that they can use from Spawn's levitation stance, right?) and a bit of regular Pat's moves (with Cassandra, should she be included, having the bulk of it).

But yeah, Rock has ZERO chance whatsoever, since Astaroth pretty much took over his "grappling-heavy giant weapon wielder" gimmick by that point. And honestly, a golem is more unique than a stranded Englishman, when it comes to backstories.

They wouldn't make Hwang as kick-heavy as Yun-seong because that's already what Yun-seong does. In fact, Yun shares a lot of kick moves with Hwoarang (as is the staple for a lot of Tekken-Soul Calibur interactions).

They wouldn't make Hwang as kick-heavy as Yun-seong because that's already what Yun-seong does. In fact, Yun shares a lot of kick moves with Hwoarang (as is the staple for a lot of Tekken-Soul Calibur interactions).
As much as I'd like to agree with you, well, in SC1, Hwang otherwise shares a lot of moves with Xianghua, hence my suggestion.

I mean, Project Soul DID succeeded in making Mina different from Kilik by simply giving her most of Xiba's moves.

If they put Cassandra in the game i wonder what's gonna be her own unique gimmick thing. Since everyone in the game has its own so far.

As much as I'd like to agree with you, well, in SC1, Hwang otherwise shares a lot of moves with Xianghua, hence my suggestion.

I mean, Project Soul DID succeeded in making Mina different from Kilik by simply giving her most of Xiba's moves.

It would be nice to get Hwang and Yun-seong both in the game as separate entities, though I’m not entirely certain they would trash Yun and give his moveset to Hwang (seeing as Yun is a fully fledged individual as opposed to an ill-received one-off clone like Xiba).

I think they could sample Hwang's unique stuff from SCI through III AE, plus a few new things for VI, and come up with a take on the dao that ends up pretty distinct from Yun's own. If they can have Kilik and Mina without issue, Siegfried and Nightmare without issue, and if they add Cassandra, Lizardman, or Amy, without issue, then the coexistence of Yun and Hwang shouldn't be unfeasible.

Rock would be a nice clone addition to the big man class but yeah as far as backstory goes he really hasn't contributed in ways that you remember.
I feel like Aeon has a high chance of making it into the game. It seems Lizardman was scrapped entirely through development because of Aeon's fan base outcry to not revert to the sword and shield. I saw somewhere a player dove into the PC and had the moveset in training mode, it didn't even have a critical edge command. Also missing other configurations it looks like they bit the bullet and put Aeon on the to do list.
But I wanted to bring up 2B. I'm not really one to buy season passes and pay attention to release dates. But aren't they annual? Shouldn't the last of the content arrive by the original release date and the possibly of a season2? The reason I ask that question is Square-Enix mobile game Final Fantasy Brave Exvius re-released its Nier Automata content. I believe it isn't a mere coincidence. Yet I was watching a video by Dynasty today and he referred to Tekken 7 releases taking up to 4 months. But that could take it over the year mark.

People really need to stop treating as if Rock cannot return in a meaningful manner, he just simply needs new moves to move him away from sharing moves with Astraroth. He already has a giant mace instead of an axe which is a good platform for his own unique moves plus new types of grapples with different properties. Also for the lore side he will still have those old moves he shares with Astaroth he just wouldn't be using them at that time.

People really need to stop treating as if Rock cannot return in a meaningful manner, he just simply needs new moves to move him away from sharing moves with Astraroth. He already has a giant mace instead of an axe which is a good platform for his own unique moves plus new types of grapples with different properties. Also for the lore side he will still have those old moves he shares with Astaroth he just wouldn't be using them at that time.
If they can get him off of bottom tier hell, that is. Besides, Rock started off as the giant axe guy until Astaroth came along and became more popular.

As an indicator, he ranked 31 out of 45 on the Character Popularity Poll. Astaroth, on the other hand, ended 25th.

I always think back to his Soul Calibur 3 ending and he's screaming Bangoo's name. Reminds me of that character from the TV show Lost who would always scream his sons name Walter. Only reason I can see Rock being introduced is that Bangoo and Talim would be shipped to make planet loving babies.

Back