Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

I did a bad thing and snooped through the game's files after today's update, and found this in the same file where Cassandra and Amy are listed as DLC characters. Namco still hasn't learned how to clean up properly.
+ProfileIconInitials=(Character=ELC_CASSANDRA,Initial=NSLOCTEXT("[/Script/LuxorEditor]", "4330548E48FC4A63C10025B7A2DB05E1", "DLC2"))
+ProfileIconInitials=(Character=ELC_AMY,Initial=NSLOCTEXT("[/Script/LuxorEditor]", "E0D41BB848CDE634D4DF518D8E5EB090", "DLC3"))
+ProfileIconInitials=(Character=ELC_STONE,Initial=NSLOCTEXT("[/Script/LuxorEditor]", "7B0E58294CD4C85FA5D35FA717978AE0", "DLC4"))
+ProfileIconInitials=(Character=ELC_YELL,Initial=NSLOCTEXT("[/Script/LuxorEditor]", "79D6CD03424337BC682B9E991FBA703F", "DLC5"))
+ProfileIconInitials=(Character=ELC_STAR,Initial=NSLOCTEXT("[/Script/LuxorEditor]", "CA271D944DFA2167AFC12DAFDD393B2B", "DLC6"))
+ProfileIconInitials=(Character=ELC_SNOW,Initial=NSLOCTEXT("[/Script/LuxorEditor]", "1251B58745E2466D7CE296B65D76B7EF", "DLC7"))
+ProfileIconInitials=(Character=ELC_REPTILE,Initial=NSLOCTEXT("[/Script/LuxorEditor]", "C6C36ED149DF6C1CF986E49A9F34F26F", "DLC8"))
+ProfileIconInitials=(Character=ELC_YELLOW,Initial=NSLOCTEXT("[/Script/LuxorEditor]", "FDC6BAC344C5204386DBBAA6FA1C635D", "DLC9"))
Holy shit! Six characters perfectly fits the outline for a second season pass! Hoping this is true, so that everybody wins in the end. This would be a terrific outcome for the fandom.

If they're already starting work on the second season pass, I'm hoping this means that Cassandra and Amy are coming sooner than expected.

This also just dawned on me... What if this is a means of damage control to appease the people unhappy with Amy and Cassandra? An intentional leak, there to tell them: "Don't worry guys, nobody's getting left out."

This also just dawned on me... What if this is a means of damage control to appease the people unhappy with Amy and Cassandra? An intentional leak, there to tell them: "Don't worry guys, nobody's getting left out."

You can't satisfy everyone with just Season 1. T7 Season 1 was worse than SCVI Season 1 because it didn't have any legacy characters as DLC.

You can't satisfy everyone with just Season 1. T7 Season 1 was worse than SCVI Season 1 because it didn't have any legacy characters as DLC.
Agreed. I think that Tekken's Season 1 pass taught Namco to limit the guests to one per-pass. While season 1 of Soul Calibur's pass is perfect in my eyes (the three legacy characters I wanted the most, and a guest I really like), I know I'm in the minority, and I want to see everyone pleased in the long run.

1547701208966.png

I thought "star" could be Hwang for a moment, but that shape is only really relevant to the, uh, slightly more northern Korea...

Can you imagine if star is referring to this guy?

Attachments

• starkiller_sc4-june07.jpg
    starkiller_sc4-june07.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 147
NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP. NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP.

Everybody would change their tune if it was the man... the myth... the legend... Sheev Palpatine.
You mean Revan lol.

NO!!! No more Star Wars guests please and thank you. Especially given how much of a slippery slope that franchise is in right now.

If it turns out "Yell" is the codename for a guest character, I will laugh and use said character as a troll pick. And maybe keep rematching you until you buy both versions of Skyrim, if it turns out to be who I think it is.

Can you imagine if star is referring to this guy?
Everybody would change their tune if it was the man... the myth... the legend... Sheev Palpatine.

All joking aside, there's pretty much zero chance of a Star wars character ever making another appearance in a SoulCal game. The last appearance was clearly only a possibility as a consequence of LucasArts' massive marketing blitz to promote The Force Unleashed as a game that was going to define its generation, and even then, it took everyone a little by surprise as Lucas-owned properties were always subject to fairly strict licensing controls. Since then, all Star Wars IP has become the property of Disney and the barriers to cross-licensing have only increased.

Personally, though, I think that is not the absolute cause for celebration that some people treat it as; the Star Wars characters were as reasonable as guests as anybody else we've had (though of course Yoda was tedious annoyance in terms of gameplay), and I think everyone is missing the obvious change between SCIC and SCVI with regard to guests; this time around, their movesets are usable in CaS. Personally, I can think of a lot of interesting design possibilities if one were to have access to a light saber and force powers. But if anything, that's just one more reason it would never be allowed to happen this time around.

I think this must be the case, if these are indeed forthcoming characters. At the time of the first two "leaks", I speculated that the references to these two were possibly a clever form of viral marketing to generate buzz among hardcore fans before the official announcements. Whether that was in fact the case, this second batch is almost certainly intentional; there's no way that Namco was unaware that the first two had been uncovered, and they could not possibly have been sloppy enough to let it happen twice by mistake.

Also, the references themselves are clearly not for pragmatic purposes; those names (if they do in fact reference upcoming characters) will almost certainly need to be changed eventually to reflect the actual character names, as opposed to the codenames, so placing them in there at this point is clearly jumping the gun in terms of actual coding practicalities. This entire situation is looking increasingly engineered, since (to repeat my either comments) code sleuths like Sectus and Autumn become a vectors for information that fans then spend a lot of time debating, generating a kind of self-sustaining hype train for the upcoming DLC.

All joking aside, there's pretty much zero chance of a Star wars character ever making another appearance in a SoulCal game. The last appearance was clearly only a possibility as a consequence of LucasArts' massive marketing blitz to promote The Force Unleashed as a game that was going to define its generation, and even then, it took everyone a little by surprise as Lucas-owned properties were always subject to fairly strict licensing controls. Since then, all Star Wars IP has become the property of Disney and the barriers to cross-licensing have only increased.

Personally, though, I think that is a shame; the Star Wars characters were as reasonable as guests as anybody else we've had (though of course Yoda was tedious annoyance in terms of gameplay), and I think everyone is missing the obvious change between SCIC and SCVI with regard to guests; this time around, their movesets are usable in CaS. Personally, I can think of a lot of interesting design possibilities if one were to have access to a light saber and force powers. But if anything, that's just one more reason it would never be allowed to happen this time around.

I think this must be the case, if these are indeed forthcoming characters. At the time of the first two "leaks", I speculated that the references to these two were possibly a clever form of viral marketing to generate buzz among hardcore fans before the official announcements. Whether that was in fact the case, this second batch is almost certainly intentional; there's no way that Namco was unaware that the first two had been uncovered, and they could not possibly have been sloppy enough to let it happen twice by mistake.

Also, the references themselves are clearly not for pragmatic purposes; those names (if they do in fact reference upcoming characters) will almost certainly need to be changed eventually to reflect the actual character names, as opposed to the codenames, so placing them in there at this point is clearly jumping the gun in terms of actual coding practicalities. This entire situation is looking increasingly engineered, since (to repeat my either comments) code sleuths like Sectus and Autumn become a vectors for information that fans then spend a lot of time debating, generating a kind of self-sustaining hype train for the upcoming DLC.

So far, some of those guesses of which character would have which codename would be pretty obvious. However, Yell and Yellow are the curveballs. Who are they supposed to be? New guests? Newcomers? I mean, dunno if we had a veteran associated with yellow, but Yell, I'm fairly certain it'll be a guest character.

So far, some of those guesses of which character would have which codename would be pretty obvious. However, Yell and Yellow are the curveballs. Who are they supposed to be? New guests? Newcomers? I mean, dunno if we had a veteran associated with yellow, but Yell, I'm fairly certain it'll be a guest character.

It's certainly still a strong possibility. Assuming the likely Rock, Lizardman/Aeon, Setsuka, and Algol speculation is all dead on, that leaves four main cast stalwarts from the SE-SCIV narrative arc unnacounted for: Li Long, Hwang, Yun-Seong, and Hilde (thecnically, I suppose, Dampierre as well, but I think we can agree he is unlikely for a variety of reasons). Dare we hope that the plan (assuming sales sustain it) is for five returning characters and a guest character to comprise Season Two, and to then release a Season Three that returns to the four character / 2 CaS pack construction, such that we end up with pretty much the entire SE-SCIV main roster and four guests total? Well, that's probably too much to hope for--but then again, I didn't think they'd be moving this quickly on a season two to begin with, so....

As to who in the regular cast 'Yell' and 'Yellow' might be, nothing obvious occurs; perhaps @TresDias, following their recent deep dive into series lore, can think of something which these references may be an allusion to?

Last edited:
Bamco giving me false hopes about Setsuka... Nah it's gonna be Amy and Cassie all the way LOL

We shall both celebrate soon, my friend--and Amy and Setsuka will cross blades again after being denied the opportunity for far longer than is excusable! You have to wait on our getting Amy back though--at least you got a half-approximation on your favoured moveset in V, via AlphaPat.

So if we sum things up with the most reasonable guesses:
STONE = Rock
STAR= Potentially Algol
SNOW= Setsuka
REPTILE= Lizardman
YELLOW= Dampierre maybe?

As for YELL, why can I only think of Yun-Seong? XD

I thinking the same with Yun-Seong with YELL being the code name, his SCIV model can be port to Unreal Engine 4 like all the other characters from SCIV & is the favorable Dao user.

Back