Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

Nyte

Fu-ma's Shadow
Soulcalibur VI is upon us, and with that, we must hope the game will be supported and has a long life ahead to make sure the series stays alive. Here is where we'll speculate and discuss current and future downloadable content for the game, first season and beyond.

I'll update the OP as time passes.

Right now, what we know is that the first season includes:
  • Four new playable characters.
  • Two character customization packages.
  • Tira is Day 1 DLC.
  • Okubo has stated that it's possible another guest could be added as DLC, but they were still finalizing their decisions and weren't entirely sure at the time.
Assuming the game is successful enough, there will likely be more content on the way, potentially more seasons as well, just like with Tekken 7 and Dragonball FighterZ.

Discuss.

With Bandai Namco's reluctance toward SC6, I get the feeling that if we see anything at all after this release and initial DLC wave, it'll be another season; unless SC6 sales go crazy-go-nuts and surpass Tekken and Dragon Ball, Bamco will expect SC6 to follow their very successful example.

The one wrench in the plan I can think of is the single-player focus (at least relative to other fighting games). Will future seasons add single player content? I feel like a noteworthy portion of the fanbase won't even give future DLCs a thought without it. But at the same time, how sustainable would that format be for a fighting game? To add both multiplayer and single-player content? As far as I know, it's a very unique situation for fighting games.

That said, single-player or not, I would really prefer a couple more seasons before we get a sequel. I like the idea of continually building upon a strong foundation--especially if my player profile, characters, and skill grow along with it.

What would be amazing(ly unlikely) is if each season extended the roster and the timeline in Soul Chronicle. Season 1 would mostly fill in the missing spaces in the SC1 roster, then season 2 adds the events of Soul Calibur 2 to each character's story, along with game relevant additions like, Yun Seong and Cassandra, and so on eventually building the game into an ultimate sort of SoulCalibur that retells--and includes the cast from--most of the games.

I'm sure the budget smirks at such a concept, but as far as I'm concerned, they've got a great base with this game.

With Bandai Namco's reluctance toward SC6, I get the feeling that if we see anything at all after this release and initial DLC wave, it'll be another season; unless SC6 sales go crazy-go-nuts and surpass Tekken and Dragon Ball, Bamco will expect SC6 to follow their very successful example.

The one wrench in the plan I can think of is the single-player focus (at least relative to other fighting games). Will future seasons add single player content? I feel like a noteworthy portion of the fanbase won't even give future DLCs a thought without it. But at the same time, how sustainable would that format be for a fighting game? To add both multiplayer and single-player content? As far as I know, it's a very unique situation for fighting games.

That said, single-player or not, I would really prefer a couple more seasons before we get a sequel. I like the idea of continually building upon a strong foundation--especially if my player profile, characters, and skill grow along with it.
I don't think has to sell super duper well, considering fighting game sales are lower nowadays. It just needs to sell, and I think it's doing that.

What would be amazing(ly unlikely) is if each season extended the roster and the timeline in Soul Chronicle. Season 1 would mostly fill in the missing spaces in the SC1 roster, then season 2 adds the events of Soul Calibur 2 to each character's story, along with game relevant additions like, Yun Seong and Cassandra, and so on eventually building the game into an ultimate sort of SoulCalibur that retells--and includes the cast from--most of the games.

I'm sure the budget smirks at such a concept, but as far as I'm concerned, they've got a great base with this game.
It seems much more likely that they would encapsulate the story of SoulCalibur II-IV in SoulCalibur VII, to me, considering that those three games all take place in the same year. That would be a really long year for its Soul Chronicle timeline with a lot of ins and outs and what-have-yous. It also allows SoulCalibur VI to have its base and characters and focus on its specific years while giving SoulCalibur VII the proper focus on that section of the timeline, instead of just tacking more on to what we have right now. Yun-seong, Setsuka, Hilde, and maybe even Algol and Dampierre, all being added to the existing cast, without losing anyone, would be a big sell, along with possibly a couple new faces as well.

All I'm expecting out of the Season Pass, currently, is Amy and Cassandra, even though I've scoffed at the idea of Amy being playable in this game before, since she gets an updated design and all, it adds fuel to the idea that she would make it in. These two are both high in the character poll, and should sell well, and so it would make sense to include them. The last DLC character may be a third guest, it's quite possible, and it would make sense if they went in the center slot, just above Geralt. If it's not a third guest, then it's also possible that it could be Setsuka, making a surprise coming out of nowhere, with no hints dropped whatsoever in-game, to catch everyone off guard who isn't religiously following everything.

I'm going to take a wild guess as to who the DLC guest might be. You totally won't see it coming.

1539666334758.png

The single player focus isn't a hindrance to long term sales. CaS players will hungrily buy up any DLC they can get for the new character, the new weapons and new CaS pieces. I know I will.

Exactly, having plenty of single player content will make the game more appealing than one only focused on multiplayer. As long as they keep the stream of DLC constant, it should be in a good place. I know Soulcalibur has always had major casual appeal compared to other fighters.

It seems much more likely that they would encapsulate the story of SoulCalibur II-IV in SoulCalibur VII, to me, considering that those three games all take place in the same year. That would be a really long year for its Soul Chronicle timeline with a lot of ins and outs and what-have-yous. It also allows SoulCalibur VI to have its base and characters and focus on its specific years while giving SoulCalibur VII the proper focus on that section of the timeline, instead of just tacking more on to what we have right now. Yun-seong, Setsuka, Hilde, and maybe even Algol and Dampierre, all being added to the existing cast, without losing anyone, would be a big sell, along with possibly a couple new faces as well.

All I'm expecting out of the Season Pass, currently, is Amy and Cassandra, even though I've scoffed at the idea of Amy being playable in this game before, since she gets an updated design and all, it adds fuel to the idea that she would make it in. These two are both high in the character poll, and should sell well, and so it would make sense to include them. The last DLC character may be a third guest, it's quite possible, and it would make sense if they went in the center slot, just above Geralt. If it's not a third guest, then it's also possible that it could be Setsuka, making a surprise coming out of nowhere, with no hints dropped whatsoever in-game, to catch everyone off guard who isn't religiously following everything.
Your thoughts about SC VII covering SC 2-4 seems contradicted by the fact that you choose characters from those game as your dlc picks. I'm probably just over thinking it though

Your thoughts about SC VII covering SC 2-4 seems contradicted by the fact that you choose characters from those game as your dlc picks. I'm probably just over thinking it though
I’m only going by the evidence that we have. Cassandra and Amy getting new designs is suspect. Talim, Raphael, Zasalamel, and Tira being included opens the others to be included as well, for backstory purposes. They’re not contradicting the timeline, they’re just getting origin stories and more depth, which is a good thing.

It’s not in my post in this thread, but if you’ve read my other posts in other threads, I’m on the team that believes Hwang and Lizardman are unlockable characters, to fill the last two slots that we have currently.

So the only SC1 characters being left out would be Rock and Edge Master, who I don’t feel will be included, because Astaroth became even more like Rock and his profile states that his style is identical to that of the White Giant and Astaroth does not care. We will likely get Rock costume DLC and can make our own Rock if you really want him. As for Edge Master, the negative impact of mimics from SoulCalibur V I feel has excluded him from gameplay this time around. Though it’s still a possibility that he is unlocked instead of Hwang, I really want to believe in my Korean swordsman.

I’m only going by the evidence that we have. Cassandra and Amy getting new designs is suspect. Talim, Raphael, Zasalamel, and Tira being included opens the others to be included as well, for backstory purposes. They’re not contradicting the timeline, they’re just getting origin stories and more depth, which is a good thing.

It’s not in my post in this thread, but if you’ve read my other posts in other threads, I’m on the team that believes Hwang and Lizardman are unlockable characters, to fill the last two slots that we have currently.

So the only SC1 characters being left out would be Rock and Edge Master, who I don’t feel will be included, because Astaroth became even more like Rock and his profile states that his style is identical to that of the White Giant and Astaroth does not care. We will likely get Rock costume DLC and can make our own Rock if you really want him. As for Edge Master, the negative impact of mimics from SoulCalibur V I feel has excluded him from gameplay this time around. Though it’s still a possibility that he is unlocked instead of Hwang, I really want to believe in my Korean swordsman.
I see.I just thought it was kinda funny that you put together such a well worded paragraph about SC 7 covering the story of 2-4 because it let's 6 focus on SC1 story, then your next paragraph talked about characters from 2-4 being dlc for 6. Every thing makes since though now that I know how you feel about Lizzy and Hwang

just like with Dragonball FighterZ
DBFZ doesn't have a confirmed season 2 yet, it's nothing more than a rumour. If there is any official confirmation, then link me to it please, as I haven't heard of it.
My guess on character DLC for SCVI:
Season 1: Hwang, LIz, Guest (probably 2B)
Season 2(if there even will be one and they won't jump straight to making SCVII): Cassandra, Hilde, Amy, Setsuka (probably only 3 of those, as Tira is a "bonus")

I was referring to DBFZ having a long span.

Also I bet we’ll see more than four after the initial batch.

I'm going to attempt to find any DLC bait in the PC files. But I wouldn't mind Lizardman and Hwang DLC to "get them out of the way" if it's true that they are indeed cut content.

Rock is definitely not returning in SCVI, DLC or not.
Most of his grabs are now Asta's (also they haven't even bothered to give him a unique CriticalFinish different from Asta's in SCIV, he was already done for at this point), so any game-play uniqueness of his is already destroyed. And he is certainly neither popular nor story-relevant enough to reimagine his style and make him an almost new character.

Back