Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

Every single DLC character so far has been a waifu. Meanwhile we still haven't even completed the roster of the game SCVI is supposed to be remaking. How is this observation "vitriolic"?
The only reason all the DLC has been women so far is because most of the male cast is already in the main game having been given priority. The game came out male heavy. We've all had to WAIT to even things up even a little bit and you act as if we've gotten special attention for having to wait for a more even roster.

On top of that season two is looking like it will complete that rostet you're bitching about. Which will mean four more men and ONE more girl which will result in this game being even more male heavy by a lot. Oh and one which could go either way.

No matter how it turns out it will stay balanced in favor of male cast. Stop pretending like the female cast has overwhelmed the male cast. Is FAR from it.

Last edited:
The writing has been on the wall about the season pass since day one. Amy and Cassandra are the only characters with new designs that appear but are not playable, so it was all but certain that they would be the first DLC after they got the second guest out of the way, who had higher priority due to marketing.

Hwang and Aeon then, have the next level of foreshadowing as DLC, as they appear often but are not seen actually fighting, save for the one time that Aeon technically fights in Libra of Soul, but I almost say that was a slip-up that wasn’t thought through. Li Long and Yun-seong have passing mention, but aren’t seen. Rock is alluded to, but not called out by name. Setsuka is mentioned in a battle tutorial. Hilde is technically higher presence than Rock and Setsuka, on the same level as Li Long and Yun-seong, but I still doubt she’ll appear.

you act as if we've gotten special attention for having to wait for a more even roster
On top of that season two is looking like it will complete that rostet you're bitching about.
I'm not "bitching," and I'm not making any claims about the ten people who still frequent this thread as you insinuate. I'm merely making the observation that all the characters we've had to pay a premium for have been cringe hentai waifus. If any of you are still in denial about why these characters are so popular then I encourage you to check out /r/kappa, 4chan, or any major FGC or character-dedicated discord server. Obviously not everyone who likes these characters falls into that category, but you don't have to be a genius to see the pattern here.

This isn't to say I only want male characters—some of the characters hardest hit by this have been more modest female ones like Hilde, and altogether non-human characters like Lizardman. I don't even mind Cassandra, I played her in SC2 and 4. But it is to say that the people at Project Soul, like many other Japanese developers, have been pandering hard as fuck to the waifu audience at the expense of the overall quality of the roster and the DLC. Had I known the contents of the season pass in advance, I wouldn't have paid thirty dollars for it.

Thanks for the passive-aggressive dislike for presenting a different opinion though. Really makes the board a welcoming and inclusive place :^)

Norik
You pay too much attention to character genders, while it really is all about popularity/uniqueness/story relevance instead. The only good, popular and viable male characters yet not in the roster are Hwang/Yun-seong (choose one) and Aeon. Both of those options are way below Amy and Cassandra when it comes to popularity. That's it.
Z.W.E.I. belongs to SC5, Rock and Li Long are trash characters almost nobody likes, Alsgol does not fit the timeline of SC6 at all and can't be possibly excused by any kind of a plot device, Dampierre I like, but I'm in a serious minority here, Edgemaster is a mimic and should be free, not be sold for extra money, also let's not even mention SC5 clone kids.

Norik
You pay too much attention to character genders, while it really is all about popularity/uniqueness/story relevance instead. The only good, popular and viable male characters yet not in the roster are Hwang/Yun-seong (choose one) and Aeon. Both of those options are way below Amy and Cassandra when it comes to popularity. That's it.
Z.W.E.I. belongs to SC5, Rock and Li Long are trash characters almost nobody likes, Alsgol does not fit the timeline of SC6 at all and can't be possibly excused by any kind of a plot device, Dampierre I like, but I'm in a serious minority here, Edgemaster is a mimic and should be free, not be sold for extra money, also let's not even mention SC5 clone kids.

This isn’t helping

This isn’t helping
A series of reasonable observations isn't helping? That's quite disheartening.

I really can't see the issue at hand here. The only two new characters are both male, one of the two guests is, and the remainder of the expected additions will almost entirely be.

What I'd say isn't helping is a comment like this: "Had I known the contents of the season pass in advance, I wouldn't have paid thirty dollars for it."

Which, you know, whatever. People can buy or not buy whatever they want. But this complaint -- about DLC in a fighting game -- isn't on the basis of movesets or even story relevance. Just digital "ass"ets.

Even as one of this board's two resident story & lore obsessives, I get where other fans are coming from when they say all that should be ancillary to a fighting game. I can't even begin to understand, though, a complaint about the initial DLC prioritizing bringing in past popular characters with (mostly) unique movesets ... just 'cause they ain't got shlongs.

I'm not "bitching," and I'm not making any claims about the ten people who still frequent this thread as you insinuate. I'm merely making the observation that all the characters we've had to pay a premium for have been cringe hentai waifus. If any of you are still in denial about why these characters are so popular then I encourage you to check out /r/kappa, 4chan, or any major FGC or character-dedicated discord server. Obviously not everyone who likes these characters falls into that category, but you don't have to be a genius to see the pattern here.

This isn't to say I only want male characters—some of the characters hardest hit by this have been more modest female ones like Hilde, and altogether non-human characters like Lizardman. I don't even mind Cassandra, I played her in SC2 and 4. But it is to say that the people at Project Soul, like many other Japanese developers, have been pandering hard as fuck to the waifu audience at the expense of the overall quality of the roster and the DLC. Had I known the contents of the season pass in advance, I wouldn't have paid thirty dollars for it.

Thanks for the passive-aggressive dislike for presenting a different opinion though. Really makes the board a welcoming and inclusive place :^)
Yeah, I'm sure "waifu" is the first thing people think about when they see Ivy and Tira, right? Also, what exactly is hentai about anyone aside from Ivy? And how is that more hentai than Voldo, or any of the guys that end up in their underwear once you armor break them? There is honestly ZERO reason for this whining, because women in this game are being treated in a sexual way in the same way men are, even fucking Yoshimitsu got lewd underclothes, the only things men don't have isexualized on them are good round butts and nice-sized bulges, but they still have good-looking bodies and the naked factor.

Norik
Disregarding gender as a factor is honestly absurd. Fighting games got criticized for lack of females before (notably Injustice 2 and Dragon Ball FighterZ) and, honestly, I think its understandable for people to want that, we don't need to have rosters with exactly the same number of characters of each gender, but its kinda stupid that, at this day and age, a gender gets put above the other in whatever the situation. Also, if uniqueness and story are major factors, then Z.W.E.I. has MUCH more chance than either Hwang or Yun-Seong. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hwang's moves have been tied to both Xianghua's and Mitsurugi's before, which means he is not very unique on his own, and Yun-Seong took what could have been original moves for him later.

Z.W.E.I. has a very unique mechanic, and since he came out of nowhere, and he has no age or pre-SC5 story, its extremely easy to include him in SC6 as an ageless character with better ties to the events surrounding the two swords, specially how they could set up him befriending Siegfried, while the koreans both already have an established backstory, which means there is much less flexibility to create anything for them, so excuse me if I find your analysis flawed and one-sided, because you seem to be one of those people who just want to hate on a few videogame characters for no actual reason while not understanding what actually can be done with less popular one.

Also, Algol does not fit the SC6 timeline? Why, again? As an ancient immortal king, he fits literally anywhere in the timeline and can easily be brought back, specially because, as I keep repeating myself to the dumb people who talk about story without actually knowing any small part of it: SC2 happens in the same year as SC3 and SC4, which means there is no reason for ANY SC4 character to be absent in this game. Even Rock, a bland character that, so far, has only existed to be in Rule34 (in which he is actually really damn popular), can easily be brought back, and I acknowledge that despite not liking the character one bit.

I think Pyrrha can return too. Since we have Nightmare, Inferno and Siegfried in the game it will make no difference if we get back both Pyrrha and Pyrrha Omega.

I think Pyrrha can return too. Since we have Nightmare, Inferno and Siegfried in the game it will make no difference if we get back both Pyrrha and Pyrrha Omega.
I kinda liked Pyrrha in that at least her style could be used for CaS to cover NPCs and PCs that should barely know how to fight and be terrified and fighting desperately with no skill, but still want to make a character for while taking into account they would freak in actual combat, and if they did win, it was pure luck and the fates.

on top of that we should just bring back all the SCV kids, then make them better versions of who they are cloned of. So make Xiba better than kilik. Then people will buy the DLC to keep their competitive edge. Namco can't lose!

Z.W.E.I. has a very unique mechanic, and since he came out of nowhere, and he has no age or pre-SC5 story, its extremely easy to include him in SC6 as an ageless character with better ties to the events surrounding the two swords
It is possible, but not necessary. I would take Dampierre over Z.W.E.I. any day when it comes to obscure unpopular characters with unique movesets.
Also, Algol does not fit the SC6 timeline? Why, again? As an ancient immortal king, he fits literally anywhere in the timeline and can easily be brought back, specially because, as I keep repeating myself to the dumb people who talk about story without actually knowing any small part of it: SC2 happens in the same year as SC3 and SC4, which means there is no reason for ANY SC4 character to be absent in this game.
Doesn't matter. SC2 happens in the same year as SC3 and SC4, but not the same day or the same month. SC6 is SC1 story plus the gap between SC1 and SC2 explained, yet it doesn't even include SC2 proper to begin with. Algol can't be excused, because he literally didn't have a body until SC4, you can't screw with that without majorly screwing the entire plot of the series, rendering any potential SC4 remake impossible.

@Klimat
I'm in agreement with the gist of your post with regard to Algol, but "SC2 proper" as a stort doesn't really amount to more than "Here's Raphael, Talim, Cassandra and Yun-seong." Three of them have been -- or are about to be -- delivered, and the fourth stands a pretty good chance of showing up.

Also, Amy's Soul Chronicle looks like it will actually show Raphael's duel with Nightmare, which occurred during SCII's events.

SCII was pretty light on plot and character developments overall, and from the look of where we are at the moment, all of those developments will be making their way into SCVI soon-ish.

Of course, your overall point about Algol is still correct. He not only doesn't currently have a body, his attempt to take the Conduit's was stopped.

Back