Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

I echo the sentiment that I would be more than fine with a previously bland character such as Rock re-appearing because Project Soul has proven nothing but the best when it comes to handling such characters with regard to SC6. Rock would be fine if he was DLC, I would bet money on it.

I'm still hoping that we get Edge Master in some way, shape, or form. A way to cap off the first season pass, or a way to kick off the second season pass, his presence is very much lacking and I'd love a mimic style. SoulCalibur IV is the only game since the mimic concept was introduced to not have a mimic, and while I'm aware the idea of mimics was soured by SoulCalibur V having three, I don't see what the harm is in having one, as a free addition, of course. I still think Inferno not being a mimic was a mistake, but in that he's not a mimic, that just leaves room for Edge Master to fill in that hole...

I think Aeon is likely to end up switching from his sword to the axe earlier than he did in the original narrative, based on what we have seen of the Lesser Lizardman style, so I don't think they are following strict fidelity to the original run of games in that respect.
I still believe in the Schwarzstrom story art. He'll have axes as extra weapons, but his main weapon will be Xi Sword & Game Shield. I'd put money on it.

Does Amy count as a SC3 character or a SC4 character? I know she's technically a SC3 character who became a full character in SC3 AE, and then got bit more unique in SC4....but since SC6 is really her first deep dive as full fledged character (SC4 budget left Amy and Rock in a rushed state)

I guess we'll know for sure when they show the games Amy has been in on twitter for her profile.

If she's considered SC4 then it's open season for Hilde and Algol as DLC
There was an interview last year (I think it was done by Kayane) where Okubo said that characters from SC4 or SC5 could be DLC.

Not really. I'm just trying to figure out if she's SC3 because this will let us know if they fulfill the "Our roster will be SC1-3" statement.

That would mean the final characters to complete this roster would be

SC1:
Rock
Hwang
Lizardman
SC2:
Yun seong
SC3:
Setsuka

6th character = Li Long, guest, Hilde, Algol or Viola???
Edge Master?

I’d say that’s a waste of a spot that could be given to a more deserving character.

Edgemaster should be a bonus in a patch or something
Well its the mimic status that makes him undeserving. Otherwise he's pretty badass but then i suppose that depends entirely on what they would do with his moveset.

the only avenues I see for him are unarmed/martial arts....some sort of old school or xiba version of kilik due to edgemaster having more moves than kilik in SC1 and SC5.

or some sort of nightmare siegfried variant due to that big sword in his art (please no more zweihanders for the love of god)

the only avenues I see for him are unarmed/martial arts....some sort of old school or xiba version of kilik due to edgemaster having more moves than kilik in SC1 and SC5.

or some sort of nightmare siegfried variant due to that big sword in his art (please no more zweihanders for the love of god)

I've always imagined him carrying an assortment of weapons, mostly things not used by anyone else. Like 2B or Ezio.

Edge Master returning as anything other than a pure mimic would be heresy. I agree that paying for him wouldn’t go over well, but that doesn’t mean that changing his style is the answer. My stance is that he should be a free DLC, considering all the work that really has to go into him is bringing his model from SoulCalibur V and making “The Master” weapons for a few new characters. The rest is just copying what’s already there.

They’ve already made Inferno into a joke, where he could have been an Elysium-type mimic and/or how he was in SoulCalibur originally, where he mimics, but keeps his unique Roy moves. Slight but not ludicrous buffs (with nerfs too, making him slightly unsafe?) to styles, like Elysium got for Pyrrha Omega, would have allowed him to be useful and interesting, but as he is, he’s just an overpowered mess for people to cruise through Legendary Arcade and a waste of a slot.

Now I’m just imagining Rock throwing flowers.
Or he can throw stones like Squires from Final Fantasy Tactics.

Edge Master with Alpha Patroklos style was fine in the legendary souls, but just If Setsuka really don't join in the game, otherwise a new style for him should be done.

It's hard for me imagine anything less sensible or less likely to ever happen than the devs deciding to de-mimic Edge Master. If they were going to go through the effort of engineering a new moveset from scratch, they would certainly give it to a new character whose entire aesthetic was defined to fit that style, and continue to preserve Edge Master within his very raison d'etre. He's not just a mimic, he was the first mimic in the series (arriving early on) and maybe the first multi-style mimic of any fighter? He's iconic in that role--it just makes so little sense to change that, especially in the game that is all about invoking nostalgia and the classic aesthetic of the early games. No way, no how that happens. Nor would they consider selling him as a mimic--they are quite a savvy enough company to know how well that would go over. I agree with Dante's assessment (or indeed, I've been saying it for ages): only way Edge Master gets in at this point is as a bonus during some patch at some point.

And that really is something they should consider: it would take truly trivial amounts of effort to create a model and a few art assets for him--probably the only reason they didn't include him in the core game (given his prominence in the plot and his good fit with the classic vibe) is that they didn't want to go through the effort of creating a chronicle narrative for him and didn't want him sticking out as a sore thumb as the only rostered character lacking one. But at this point, if they just dropped him in with an update, I don't think even the story nuts would object, given a) he'd presumably be a freebie and b) he's got a kind of ancient, unknowable mystery vibe to his background and I think no one really expects to know where he is at the plot at any given time--he's one of those characters who just steps through plot holes to show up wherever the rest of the principle cast might need him for some sagely advice.

Last edited:
I still really like the idea that when Cassandra is released, adding Edge Master as an unlockable for where you've mastered all styles in Libra of Soul. I also think it's reasonable that Edge Master would not mimic Geralt, 2B, or Azwel. Maybe not even Grøh. This would also allow them to skimp on making a few unique weapon models, which helps his chances of inclusion, requiring less work.

There was an interview last year (I think it was done by Kayane) where Okubo said that characters from SC4 or SC5 could be DLC.
Yes, but if you look at the context and the precise wording of what Okubo says in that interview, it becomes pretty apparent that he's doing the usual senior dev "I'm not going to rule anything out at this point and thereby paint myself into a corner, when I can instead answer vaguely that anything is possible moving forward" maneuver. While it's clear that the team could have easily decided to include anyone from SCIV and forward, so far everyone they have added to the game (minus the two guests and two new original characters) is a character that originated in the first four games of the franchise. The story fixates on the events covered in the first few games and (much as I think it's a pointless fixation) they really do seem to want to introduce only characters that can tied into the narrative directly (at least as regards non-guests). That interview came months before the game's release and everything we got once the game did drop, everything in the ongoing DLC support since, and everything hinted at by the codenames all suggests an objective of rounding out the early story and classic cast before moving on to anyone/anything that arose after SCIII.

Now, don't get me wrong, as I was just pointing out to someone above yesterday, if things go so profitably with the second season pass that they are actually encouraged to make a third (unlikely but by no means impossible), then clearly I think they would leap on the SCIV characters next--there'd just not be anyone more sales exploitable or narratively appropriate at that point, once they have exhausted the classic cast. Which may very well have been Okubo's thinking at the time, when he left the door open (though I doubt he could have known at that point that even the second season was going to be greenlit--and let's not forget it still hasn't officially been announced and they could still back off it if sales were not sufficient to justify it, which is almost certainly one of the reasons they decided to unofficially reveal it through the almost certainly staged "data leak"). In other words, he planned for all contingencies and said SCIV/SCV characters might return (even if they clashed with the plot and didn't get a Soul Chronicle) because he knew there was an outside chance Namco would go hard on the post release support/serialized content, as they had already begun to do with Tekken. But he also knew (as it was clearly his team's design, even at that point) that the planned content would focus on the classic era and characters first. Basically, I think whether we see Hilde and Algol depends entirely on how profitable the first two DLC seasons are.

Last edited:
Assuming that they do the second season of SoulCalibur VI like they did the second season of Tekken 7, and announce all six characters from the start, do you think that would help/hurt the sales? Sectus pointed out a while back that the six characters appear to be bundled in sets of two, much like Tekken did it. Anna and Lei came out in September, then Marduk and Armor King came out in December, and finally Julia and Negan came out in February. The likely pairings, in my opinion, would be Aeon and Hwang first, then Rock and Li Long, and finally Yun-seong and Setsuka. Alternatively, if you believe that Yell is Hilde and Star is a guest, it would also fit the pattern precedented by Tekken. Either way, I'd say it's better marketing than keeping it all secret until release.

Back