Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

Cassandra did get those Ultra HD 4K resolution stockings, though...

But considering she did start out quite modest originally:

cassc2art1-jpg.3577

And then look at her in SoulCalibur VI:

dgjfx05qpqe31.jpg

Still a departure to the fanservice department. It’s similar, but just different enough to make a marked difference. Less extreme than what happened to Talim, not on the same level of SoulCalibur IV Ivy, for sure, but you can’t say they didn’t up the sexy for Cassandra at all.

I do think it’s likely that Setsuka gets her outfit inspiration from SoulCalibur III, but let’s look at it again:

72e47234874235e6e648bf98adcdb7ca.jpg

Compare this to SoulCalibur II Cassandra, and I’m sure you can see that Setsuka has a lot more openings for fanservice while still remaining mostly faithful to this design. It probably won’t be on SoulCalibur IV’s level, because SoulCalibur VI isn’t, but it will be somewhere inbetween, in all likelihood.

Yeah, if characters who were once void of fanservice are suddenly getting it now, a character like Setsuka has no chance.

That said, Cassandra kinda went against this trend, ignoring the cup size increase. Her design's more cute than anything else in my opinion.
I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high, but I think there's a chance Setsuka could at least get something better than SC4.
Cassandra’s appearance is surprisingly quite tame compared to most of the female characters. Imo, it’s probably my favourite design of her so far and they even fixed her face from SC4.

And I still stand by what I say about 4 having some of the WORST designs for the cast.

Cassandra’s appearance is surprisingly quite tame compared to most of the female characters. Imo, it’s probably my favourite design of her so far and they even fixed her face from SC4.

And I still stand by what I say about 4 having some of the WORST designs for the cast.
Some of them were really good though. I just got SC IV again so I could see the costumes and stuff. I really like the armor break in IV. The pieces break and remain on the ground and all costumes have top, mid, and low broken options.

Also, would like the SCVI CAS select screen to look like it did in IV. You can't even see the characters name or style when scrolling through the CAS in VI. Still, I realized I played IV the least since I found the series in II.

I really like the armor break in IV. The pieces break and remain on the ground and all costumes have top, mid, and low broken options.
There’s no doubts that SoulCalibur IV handled armor break the best in the series, with the most detail and love given to it. On the main cast, anyway. Their custom characters and all the games since on both main cast and custom characters have just had things disappear like the custom characters from SoulCalibur IV. That being said, SoulCalibur VI is still a step in the right direction with the broken hairdos and the base equipment having broken states. It just needs to be re-expanded to apply to all gear again and it would be fantastic.

Cassandra did get those Ultra HD 4K resolution stockings, though...

But considering she did start out quite modest originally:

cassc2art1-jpg.3577

And then look at her in SoulCalibur VI:

dgjfx05qpqe31.jpg

Still a departure to the fanservice department. It’s similar, but just different enough to make a marked difference. Less extreme than what happened to Talim, not on the same level of SoulCalibur IV Ivy, for sure, but you can’t say they didn’t up the sexy for Cassandra at all.
Well, yeah, if you're comparing it to her first appearance. Pretty much everyone's first appearance was more modest than they are now. I was was more comparing it to her last appearance in the series.

Well, yeah, if you're comparing it to her first appearance. Pretty much everyone's first appearance was more modest than they are now. I was was more comparing it to her last appearance in the series.
I’m comparing to first appearances due to that being the primary basis for the appearances for most of the cast, considering our turning back the clock to the end of SoulBlade to start of SoulCalibur II. It might be more fair in a real world basis to compare to their most recent appearances, especially because some (Raphael) literally used their SoulCalibur V model as a base, but yeah, the final product is definitely a mix of both of these considerations.

There’s no doubts that SoulCalibur IV handled armor break the best in the series, with the most detail and love given to it. On the main cast, anyway. Their custom characters and all the games since on both main cast and custom characters have just had things disappear like the custom characters from SoulCalibur IV. That being said, SoulCalibur VI is still a step in the right direction with the broken hairdos and the base equipment having broken states. It just needs to be re-expanded to apply to all gear again and it would be fantastic.
Yeah. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for them to include an armor break toggle. Most of the time my CAS get ruined because of a lethal hit. Oh well, maybe one day.

Personally, I think the question of which version of destructibility is best is a little like picking one's favourite brand of garlic-flavoured chewing gum: even the best case scenario is something of questionable value. Mostly I just don't even think about it these days, its been grandfathered in so long, but honestly, it's seriously immersion breaking on a level that Soulcalibur already doesn't need help with: it already is a tough pill to swallow in ignoring the ineffectualness of these weapons that cleave characters in half without leaving so much as a scratch--to have the weapons do no harm to flesh (even when people are being clearly pierced through and bisected by them) but have them rend, shred and explode armor and objects is just drawing attention to something that it's better to leave attention unfocused on.

Aside from that, most designs get completely ruined by destructibility rather than giving the appearance of getting worn down. Honestly, what is the aesthetic/stylistic value that the game gains from having characters fight partially or completely nude? Again, most of the time I don't think about it whatsoever after all these years. But if the topic is "which version of desctriability has served the series best?", the answer is clearly "when there was none."

Last edited:
Personally, I think the question of which version of destructibility is best is a little like picking one's favourite brand of garlic-flavoured chewing gum: even the best case scenario is something of questionable value. Mostly I just don't even think about it these days, its been grandfathered in so long, but honestly, it's seriously immersion breaking on a level that Soulcalibur already doesn't need help with: it already is a tough pill to swallow in ignoring the ineffectualness of these weapons that cleave characters in half without leaving so much as a scratch--to have the weapons do no harm to flesh (even when people are being clearly pierced through and bisected by them) but have them rend, shred and explode armor and objects is just drawing attention to something that it's better to leave attention unfocused on.

Aside from that, most designs get completely ruined by destructibility rather than giving the appearance of getting worn down. Honestly, what is the aesthetic/stylistic value that the game gains from having characters fight partially or completely nude? Again, most of the time I don't think about it whatsoever after all these years. But if the topic is "which version of desctriability has served the series best?", the answer is clearly "when there was none."
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like armor break. While yes I'd prefer to be able to toggle WHAT gets broken, with the option for nothing to get broken as well.

I get that it pisses a lot of people off, but there is also a number of people, such as myself, that like to incorporate armor break into a costume. It's a nice challenge for design.

Some people like it for the sexy, some like it for how hilarious it looks.

I still think that a merger between sciv and scvi armor break would be the best, lethal hit rewards a slight damage boost, but with the design of scvi armor break. I can be a bit blind, so now Nightmares face would let me know, "oh yeah, extra damage". It's not realistic, but when has it ever been. Is it going to break someone's immersion after a character literally shoots a whirlwind at someone?
Lately it feels like SC has been getting a bit of comedy in it, so kicking someone in the shins so hard their entire lower body armour just explodes is hilarious. I get that it could be a pet peeve, but I still think togging what breaks is the perfect design choice. Those who dislike the break can either disable it completely, or make a costume that doesn't break, whilst the people who find it funny can add it to certain items or the entire costume. Damnit, I don't wanna lose my explosive clothing it's hilarious!

How people here feels about Miriam from Bloodstained as guest in Season 3 :sc4rap1:
View attachment 73631
She would actually fit in pretty well with the cast. Not completely sure how her moveset would be like since she uses so many weapons in Bloodstained. Maybe this would be a good excuse for Namco to reuse parts of Ezio's moveset from SC5.

But she wouldn't be an amazing guest character in the sense that they ideally a character from a huge IP, so they can lure as many people as possible to buy SC6.

I feel like I'm the only person on this forum who's not expecting Setsuka's SC6 design to be a kimono like her previous 1Ps were lol. I think her default costume will be more swordswoman-ish like her SC3 2P, and then she'll have one of her previous 1Ps included as bonus CaS parts (which will be used in her Soul Chronicle for plot purposes like Cassandra's and Hilde's extra costumes were).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like armor break. While yes I'd prefer to be able to toggle WHAT gets broken, with the option for nothing to get broken as well.
That would certainly be an ideal solution, but I can't see them doing that.

It's not realistic, but when has it ever been. Is it going to break someone's immersion after a character literally shoots a whirlwind at someone?
Well, the way i would put it is that it doesn't help. I mean, as I said above, for the most part my brain just looks straight past it after having become used to it over the last twelve plus years, but when one does notice it, it tends to reinforce the silliness of how physics work in Soulcalibur's presentation. Personally I don't get irritated by it, but if the next game were mine to design, I would dispense with it: although honestly, it has to be said that your solution is a more ideal one that would serve a larger variety of preferences.

I feel like I'm the only person on this forum who's not expecting Setsuka's SC6 design to be a kimono like her previous 1Ps were lol. I think her default costume will be more swordswoman-ish like her SC3 2P, and then she'll have one of her previous 1Ps included as bonus CaS parts (which will be used in her Soul Chronicle for plot purposes like Cassandra's and Hilde's extra costumes were).
What makes you expect such a divergence from the classic focus of her 1Ps? Mind you, I would not mind seeing such a variation, but I'm not immediately perceiving why you would suspect it.

Last edited:
What makes you expect such a divergence from the classic focus of her 1Ps? Mind you, I would not mind seeing such a variation, but I'm not immediately perceiving why you would suspect it.
Mainly my own theories about how Setsuka's story will play out. I'm assuming that her Soul Chronicle will mostly involve her backstory from her SC3 character profile, since it falls very conveniently within the timeframe that SC6's story mode covers. Not only does this mean that her master is still alive and training her, but also that this is Setsuka's first appearance in this timeframe (similar to Hilde, whose SC6 redesign is a somewhat far-cry from her previous 1Ps).

There's also this line from the aforementioned character profile:
Armed with an oilpaper umbrella containing a concealed blade and wearing the kimono that her teacher had left to her, her appearance was that of a beautiful goddess of war dressed in bewitching robes of mourning.
Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but to me it implies that Setsuka doesn't start wearing the kimono until her master dies and she makes her decision to seek vengeance. This is also where my theory about her bonus costume comes from.

So yeah, there's my thoughts about Setsuka's costume. Hopefully my word-vomit makes sense lol

She would actually fit in pretty well with the cast. Not completely sure how her moveset would be like since she uses so many weapons in Bloodstained

Her abilities are based on the crystals she absorbs, she would in effect be a female Azwel fused with Viola.

I wonder if this evo online thing will give us a soulcalibur announcement in July or August...

July 4-5
July 11-12
July 18-19
July 25-26
July 31-Aug. 2

Back