Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

Sorry! yeah i know.. stupid pandemic

anyways, i hope two next character creation items will not have that horrible Dark Warrior set from SC5. i hate that crap! but please bring back more badass masks, armors, for body, arms and legs!

Hwang won't be until like December.

I have to keep hammering this point that game development isn't linear, so no one knows apart from the developers exactly how long it's going to take. Haohmaru took a long time because he was practically developed from the ground up. We can all agree that Project Soul added about 80% new stuff to him in comparison to say 2B who's a god damn swiss army knife making her development less of a hurdle. Setsuka from SC4 and Hwang from SC3AE already have plenty of their own stuff so for me, I expect them much sooner to the point that both will be revealed at Evo.

imo Hwang probably requires a bit more work than Setsuka.

• Setsuka at least has the high-resolution face mesh model done in SC4.
• Her attack animations are polished at least to SC4, and she may even take some of Alpha Pat's newer animations
• We know she's going to be the sole iaido weapon fighting with an umbrella so theres not planning to differentiate any clones

Hwang doesn't have a face, a lot of his animations are dated, and theres the whole possibility of yun seong also coming in a later season pass so they have a lot to figure out. The one advantage is that Hwang's art design (from the torso up) is revealed and it looks very similar to his SC 1 design. It'll probably end up different but Cassandra was sort of revealed this wya.

The one advantage is that Hwang's art design (from the torso up) is revealed and it looks very similar to his SC 1 design. It'll probably end up different but Cassandra was sort of revealed this way.
I'm not sure what they're planning here. It feels like it should match the art from the story modes, like Cassandra (and also Amy) were shown prior to their release, though they had revamped designs, and Hwang's is just... plain, for lack of better terms. Not that this is necessarily bad, because there's some other "plain" designs in the game, like Mitsurugi and Sophitia, so it could be an indication that they're sticking Hwang to his fundamentals and not giving him some unnecessary gimmick power, that's what I'm hoping for at least. And maybe we'd get his Assassin outfit as customization equipment as well. If it is a new design, then that would be a surprise, but I don't think it will be. Though that does bode a bit ill for Aeon, if he comes in season three, since his appearance would just be his SoulCalibur IV armor, as he's been shown in the art as well as the fight with him in Libra of Soul. Granted, it would be nice to have that armor, so that Lizardmen can have a proper armor set, but... it would feel a bit on the lazy side.

I don't think Hwang's Soul Chronicle portraits mean much about how he's going to look. Remember that there weren't any plans for a second season pass until the community's support convinced Bamco to give it the greenlight, so I'd argue that Hwang was never meant to be a playable character in SC6, at least when it comes to DLC. They could still use the design from those portraits, but I think he's going to be redone in some way, even if it's a similar case as Mitsurugi and Sophitia where his costume is the same as SC1 but modernized.

I don't think Hwang's Soul Chronicle portraits mean much about how he's going to look. Remember that there weren't any plans for a second season pass until the community's support convinced Bamco to give it the greenlight, so I'd argue that Hwang was never meant to be a playable character in SC6, at least when it comes to DLC. They could still use the design from those portraits, but I think he's going to be redone in some way, even if it's a similar case as Mitsurugi and Sophitia where his costume is the same as SC1 but modernized.

oh godddd to think that we could have gone ANOTHER game without any korean dao or setsuka if SC6 didn't meet expectations! That's horrible!

Last edited:
I firmly believe that Hwang and Aeon were meant to be in the base game.
If I recall correctly, there was a leak a long time ago that wasn't talked about very much (those who did were very skeptical of it) which pointed out that one of the new characters was named Azwel. This leak was weeks before Azwel's name was even revealed if I recalled (however, I can't recall if it was before or after the E3 story reveal when we got a glimpse of Azwel though).

That same leak also claimed that Hwang is going to be in the game. I lost hope when we got closer and closer to the release date though since they slowed down on the reveals and it isn't surprising for content to be cut as they close in on the release date. I even remember Okubo talking in an interview about how he already pleaded with higher ups to allow him to delay the game.

If they were given enough time, I'm more certain than not that Hwang would have been in the base game. It also appears that they rearranged their development pipeline since they talked about rushing Tira in when she wasn't meant to be in the base game and the fact that 2B made it in before Cassandra and Amy kinda shows how messy their development pipline got. (No offense to Okubo and Takahashi, game development is difficult and shit just happens sometimes)

Oh hey, I wrote that post!

It's kind of fun looking back at all of that now. The two 4chan leakers were someone working on localization (he only had access to text files and nothing else) and one guy who did testing on the game. And now as we know everything about the game, it's easier to understand why they were uncertain about some details. The localization guy was uncertain whether or not Hwang was playable, which makes sense as he worked on only text files. Text files that had a lot of Hwang mentions, but missing some strings other characters had (like strings for the narrator saying the name). And then we have the tester guy who was spot on with 99% of the stuff he said, because well, he played the game.

I'm surprised neither had any idea about DLC. I would have guessed at least the localization guy had to do some localization work for 2B since she was released just a few months after the game, but maybe they used another localization team for that for some reason.

Edit: Also, it's fun looking at the comments for that reddit post. A lot of the early comments were dismissing my reasoning as anecdotal and nonsensical, but then some people went back to the thread after more announcements and went "Well, shit, I guess this was right after all."

Oh hey, I wrote that post!

It's kind of fun looking back at all of that now. The two 4chan leakers were someone working on localization (he only had access to text files and nothing else) and one guy who did testing on the game. And now as we know everything about the game, it's easier to understand why they were uncertain about some details. The localization guy was uncertain whether or not Hwang was playable, which makes sense as he worked on only text files. Text files that had a lot of Hwang mentions, but missing some strings other characters had (like strings for the narrator saying the name). And then we have the tester guy who was spot on with 99% of the stuff he said, because well, he played the game.

I'm surprised neither had any idea about DLC. I would have guessed at least the localization guy had to do some localization work for 2B since she was released just a few months after the game, but maybe they used another localization team for that for some reason.

Edit: Also, it's fun looking at the comments for that reddit post. A lot of the early comments were dismissing my reasoning as anecdotal and nonsensical, but then some people went back to the thread after more announcements and went "Well, shit, I guess this was right after all."

people really had their head in the clouds before the leaked roster was truly accepted as final.....

people really had their head in the clouds before the leaked roster was truly accepted as final.....
Oh yeah, 2018 was a wild ride with speculation about what the roster would be. Practically everyone expected a much bigger roster than what we got. It's funny that the mere 20 slots we saw in the first glimpse of the character select screen (which was as early as January 2018) actually ended up being the same size as the final roster.

But at least the roster isn't bad now with all the DLC.

Oh yeah, 2018 was a wild ride with speculation about what the roster would be. Practically everyone expected a much bigger roster than what we got. It's funny that the mere 20 slots we saw in the first glimpse of the character select screen (which was as early as January 2018) actually ended up being the same size as the final roster.

But at least the roster isn't bad now with all the DLC.

The line from Okubo about there being "probably more than 20 characters" or something like that, and markman saying the roster screen/build wasn't final....

people pinned their hopes on that and they got.....Inferno....

That was a rough period...so happy we are beyond it!

Back