Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

It’s fine to make a lengthy response

I was expecting to be corrected about the geography or history of turkey in related to seong Minas stage so I was bracing for a big response... 🦹‍♀️

I was expecting to be corrected about the geography or history of turkey in related to seong Minas stage so I was bracing for a big response... 🦹‍♀️
I have never been to Turkey and I'm not as brilliant as Dante and Rusted, but I'm sure it is not in China.
latest

Last edited:
Because they take forever to get to the point, and its like a tactic to disguise logical fallacies because the reader gets tired.
Wow, that's pretty out of the blue and unnecessary, especially for a moderator, who should be setting an example of community members treating eachother civilly and avoiding inflammatory attacks on people from out of nowhere. I can handle a little snark from Dissidia: some of his positions have come in from some criticisms by yours truly over the last couple of weeks (albeit on stuff I think we would both consider trivial), so if a little passive aggressive joke gets lobbed back my way on occasion, I'm honestly happy to see that everything is being taken in proportion/in context/non-personally and I'm happy to take those comments similarly in stride. But your comment suggests you have some genuine animsoity towards me lingering from one (just one, that I can recall) little difference of opinion....like a year back, if I recall correctly. Homie, let it go: I can't even remember the substance about what we argued over, except to say it was about a video game, so...

But as to the substance of your criticism: A) I don't "take forever to get to the point"; my arguments start on point from the outset, end on point and work the point inbetween, and B) if someone doesn't have the psychological/rhetorical stamina to work their way through a couple of paragraphs of counter-argument, that's really not a shortcoming on my end--and frankly, anyone who takes that mental stance towards disagreement is probably the type of person who is always pretty certain they are right, but rarely able to give a principled explanation as to why. And thus are not really the people my comments are meant to engage to begin with: you know, open-minded people, who actually want to explore the ideas being considered, rather than just posture around their own confirmation bias.

Edit: And as for the rest, honestly, I challenge you to present me with so much as a single case where my verbosity is supposedly hiding a logical inconsistencies or fallacious reasoning...I'm happy to come in for criticism for being a little long-winded, but you should come loaded to bear with some substantial evidence if you want to suggest I'm burying poor argumentation in it.

It’s fine to make a lengthy response

The truth is, the details are too uneven to say anything conclusively about what kind of architecture is being invoked. Thing is, Namco/PS have always taken a vaguely hand-wavey approach to these elements in the past anyway: very often their details are more evocative of a broad geographic area and are pretty inconsistent in terms of anachronism and historical and cultural continuity. In regard to that one particular image, colonnades have been used in both Egypt and Turkey since time immemorial, the buttresses/arches are ambiguous enough to have been used just about anywhere in the classic middle east, and the mosaics are too blurry/ill-defined t say anything conclusively: if they were Egyptian, they would have a tendency to be iconographic, whereas Ottoman relief would likely be strictly geometric, since most of it was constructed during an era of pretty strict taboo in rendering living creatures, which was abjured for a long time by the religious beliefs that shaped Turkeys artistic culture.

One little wrinkle is that 'Maze of the Dead' is definitely more suggestive of an Egyptian theme. But again, I doubt very much that a high degree of thought was put into the historical realism of these stages, especially the earlier ones--either in terms of nomenclature/concept, let alone the archtecture and design. As to the question of whether that is Mi-na's stage or not--that I'm afraid I have no recollection of: I guess now that I stop to think of it, there's really no level that screams Seong-Mi-na in this game, other than the Emperor's Garden, which is clearly identified as Chinese, but which (having just refreshed myself on what it looks like) could as easily be Joseon as Ming.

Last edited:
I mean, PS has established that Maze of the Death is located in Turkey.
Built before the birth of Christ, according to the legend, the underground city of Cappadocia in Turkey is still shrouded in mystery. Several centuries after Cappadocia was established, a reigning monarch converted a similar underground temple into an extravagant palace. This temple stands above a deep chasm, claimed from ancient times to be a gateway to Hades. The interior of the temple contains a section that was converted into a palace. In addition, a cave exists beyond the palace, followed by more unexplored regions. No one knows for sure what exists down there. The palace itself is in ruins now, thanks to those who turned it into a rock quarry of sorts. However, the lower underground area remains intact. Since the treasure seeking thieves who venture into the lower ruins never come back alive, no one but the most foolhardy enter this place now.
I think the good question is why she was in Turkey? probably the search for Soul Edge , in resume, was a random choice like YS in Egypt.
photo_2019-09-15_14-26-16-1200x684.jpg

I mean, PS has established that Maze of the Death is located in Turkey.

I think the good question is why she was in Turkey? probably the search for Soul Edge , in resume, was a random choice like YS in Egypt.
photo_2019-09-15_14-26-16-1200x684.jpg
Yeah, I read that blurb on the Fandom wiki immediately after posting. Apparently it's supposed to be Cappadoccia; which is actually pretty famous for having a very distinctive type of architecture that looks especially unlike what we see here, so I don't know why they chose that of all locations, lol. But again, it's just Soulcalibur: the names are just basically meant to be the continuity equivalent to pointing vaguely to somewhere on a globe and saying "Like, within 500 miles of here, I think?"

You know, it's funny you include the silk road map, because I removed a bit from my last message where I was opining about how if there was any SCI stage I kinda-sorta associate with Mi-na, I would have to say it was probably the original Silk Road Ruins, which, aside from the connection to Hwang, always felt to me like it was situated closer to the central asian high desert end of the road than the Anatolian/Middle Eastern end. If I had to guess, I'd say they just developed a roughly equal number of stages and characters and that some stages were clearly meant to serve certain characters (Ivy's, Sophitia's) but others were assigned in a more random fashion. Seong Mi-na's is definetly the biggest thematic mismatch, but meh--I mean the way these folks get around the world defies credulity--everywhere is next door for characters who get teleported by the plot!

see what i mean ? There isn't a word count requirement to post here.
See what I mean, about making a pretty aggressively insulting comment about someone else's discussion style out of nowhere and supporting it with nothing? But I tell you what, let's just both learn to agree to disagree about the particulars of this or that aspect of this very nerdy shared interest of ours and not throw random, inciting shade at eachother in a conversation where everybody was presently having a perfectly good time? Surely we can agree as to that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I read that blurb on the Fandom wiki immediately after posting. Apparently it's supposed to be Cappadoccia; which is actually pretty famous for having a very distinctive type of architecture that looks especially unlike what we see here, so I don't know why they chose that of all locations, lol. But again, it's just Soulcalibur: the names are just basically meant to be the continuity equivalent to pointing vaguely to somewhere on a globe and saying "Like, within 500 miles of here, I think?"
I would like to find a source, but on the website there are only images, maybe that was left as additional info in the artbook, I believe there is one.
You know, it's funny you include the silk road map, because I removed a bit from my last message where I was opining about how if there was any SCI stage I kinda-sorta associate with Mi-na, I would have to say it was probably the original Silk Road Ruins, which, aside from the connection to Hwang, always felt to me like it was situated closer to the central asian high desert end of the road than the Anatolian/Middle Eastern end. If I had to guess, I'd say they just developed a roughly equal number of stages and characters for those maps and that some were clearly meant to serve certain characters (Ivy's, Sophitia's) but others were assigned in a more random fashion. Seong Mi-na's is definetly the biggest thematic mismatch, but meh--I mean the way these folks get around the world defies credulity--everywhere is next door for characters who get teleported by the plot!
I put it just because the Silk Road, I mean, the both Koreans on this trip looking for Soul Edge must have passed through all these different desert countries. She was possibly in Turkey fighting with Ivy (at least I could supose because the artwork and stage from SC 1) and China trained with Kong Xiuqiang, We (in Libra) found her lost in Kashgar (by the images I would never say that it is a Chinese country, maybe because of possible stereotypes the how China was introduced to me through films, series and others). She probably must have arrived in the Middle East and fought against Fygul Cestemus, I believe that this is the place of origin of this group. :sc1ast1:

I would like to find a source, but on the website there are only images, maybe that was left as additional info in the artbook, I believe there is one.

I put it just because the Silk Road, I mean, the both Koreans on this trip looking for Soul Edge must have passed through all these different desert countries. She was possibly in Turkey fighting with Ivy (at least I could supose because the artwork and stage from SC 1) and China trained with Kong Xiuqiang, We (in Libra) found her lost in Kashgar (by the images I would never say that it is a Chinese country, maybe because of possible stereotypes the how China was introduced to me through films, series and others). She probably must have arrived in the Middle East and fought against Fygul Cestemus, I believe that this is the place of origin of this group. :sc1ast1:
I mean, it all makes sense to me, but then again, as concerns the particular meanderings of the characters, you could have made half of those details up and I would never know the difference... ;) Reflecting deeply on my old memory associations with that stage (which, we should pause a moment to address as a real stand-out when it comes to the art design of the stages in the early games), I think I always imagined it being closer to the arid portions of northeastern China--again, probably because that felt suggested by it being Hwang's stage, and a little because the architecture of the vaulted ceiling--if I'm half-guessing/half-recollecting correctly.

Last edited:

Some videos to enjoy the silk road ruins stage. It still looks really good imo even in SoulCalibur 1. I love how that game still looks so good today.

Impressive to me how through art direction SC3 was able to improve over SC1 by so much. The PS2 wasn't even that much more powerful than the dreamcast but man the classic stages in SC3 look amazing. Sadly the classic stages in SC6 don't look quite as amazing art direction wise

I'm here for the facts..
latest
View attachment 75773
latest

The Dumas set should be dlc, not this ugly armor. :sc5nm1:

I don't like the SC4 nightmare 2P but I wish it wasn't made CAS exclusive. It sucks that we can't fully recreate the look from SC4 because of them making it a race (and removing lighting/colors from it)

1591339324391.png

That being said. Your original point. The SC5 2P does indeed look a lot better. Watch Project soul butcher it if they include it as DLC!

Mark my words it will be awkward or ill-fitting just like Siegfrieds SC5 outfit looks really weird in on him in SC6

Back