Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

I was thinking more generally about this and SCVII - who can we assume will be in the base roster for that game and who will be DLC? It doesn’t seem right that just because a character was DLC in SCVI means that they then can’t be in the base roster in SCVII.
Let's say we are limited to 20 non-boss characters just like in SC6.
From the way things are going I think in SC7 base roster we are guaranteed to have:

1). Zasalamel - since I believe SC7 will be a combination of SC2 and SC3 storylines, Zasalamel is basically the main player here orchestrating major events.
2). Azwel - his main purpose is to fill original timeline plotholes with explanations which he will continue to do (in particular when it comes to Raphael's vampire transformation and so on). Also I believe people in general really liked the character, which is important for a newcomer. Also he is the main Libra of Soul antagonist.
3). Raphael - he is the secret SC2 protagonist and the one to defeat Siegmare.
4). Siegfried - can't have a SC game without one of the poster boy knights. Also giant plot relevance.
5). Nightmare - can't have a SC game without the other poster boy knight. Also giant plot relevance.
6). Amy - her journey to find Raphael is heavily teased in her SC6 Soul Chronicle. Also you can't have Viola's origin story without Amy.
7). Viola - she's the most popular SC5 character and her inclusion was teased in Amy's SC6 Soul Chronicle for a good reason.
8). Wilhelm aka ZWEI - I think Wilhelm is a better name for the character, but the point is for ZWEI's moveset to return (hopefully with many refinments). His inclusion was teased in both Amy's (a mysterious companion to join Amy and her maid on their quest to find Raphael) and Hilde's Chronicle (an injured wolf themed edgeboy with a cross-shaped weapon traveling around the world doing diplomacy for Wolfkrone Kingdom).
9). Cassandra - she's basically on the mission to break old timeline canon, which is one of the most important things to do in SC7.
10). Tira - from a story perspective she'll be Cassandra's main opponent and the final boss of Cassandra's Chronicle.
11). Kilik - the obvious SC2 protagonist (with Raphael being the secret one), also you can't just drop SC6 main character from SC7.
12). Ivy - way too popular and unique of a character, also her plot against Cervantes is really cool.
13). Cervantes - he's a popular cool character, also he's needed for Ivy's story.
14). Taki - way too popular and cool to miss. Also after SC5 people will be doubly mad.
15). Mitsurugi - another staple poster boy you need to have.
16). Yoshimitsu - another staple poster boy you need to have.
17). Astaroth - series top grappler. You need at least one to appease the archetype.
18). Voldo - series top weirdo.
19). Yun-Seong - you need at least one Korean and he is the most popular according to the official poll, also his SC7 role will be properly established and teased in his SC6 DLC Chronicle.
20). Talim - I guess I can't ignore her popularity poll placement forever, also Yun-Seong needs a companion, so those two go hand in hand.

Only having 20 slots is definitely rough, my most controversial uninclusions are:
1). Groh - I believe he should be essential for Libra of Soul sequel storyline to work, yet as I look at my 20 base roster character selection, I can't find anyone to kick out to free an extra slot. Maybe they'll have to make SC7 base roster 21 non-boss characters big just to be able to fit him. I really can't see any other solution.
2). Sophitia - the final major character in the whole Cassandra/Tira/Sophitia plot. Story-wise she's the least important of the three at this point, but I still think she's very popular, so it hurts to cut her. I think she might be a good candidate for day one free with the season pass DLC the way Tira was in SC6.
3). Xianghua - in a SC2/3 remake her story purpose won't be near as important as in SC1 (she basically hangs around Kilik and Maxi as the trio tries to stop Nightmare for the second time only to fail), but she is still a hightly popular cool character. Definitely a strong contender for Season 1 DLC.
4). Maxi - same as Xianghua, but a little less popular.
5). Seong Mi-na - a very cool and popular character, still for SC7 purposes Yun-Seong is a better choice for the base roster. Should be among top priority DLCs.

All other base roster uninclusions like Setsuka or Hilde I think are not controversial at all.

P.S. Thinking about it, there will definitely be new characters and at least one guest... oh my...

Last edited:
Alternatively you can think about which characters can be bundled in DLC packages that are enticing "must-haves" yet won't cause a riot if they are not included in the main roster.

I was wrong in SC6 about the "clones" and was happy that Sieg and Mina were in the base roster (at the expense of Tira / korean swordsman)
I guess unlocks are now the new DLCs.

The DLCs I noticed a couple of things:
• Tend to have more complex armor break (strictly cosmetic)
• Mechanically they have something more complicated, such as 2 gloomy/jolly stance,l holy charge states, flower counts, or charge holds + regalia perks.

RE has got to go. It was a decent experiment and while it's no longer the tedious bitch it was in season 1, it's still a mini game in a competitive fighting game which is never going to match the main mechanics.
Make Soul Charge moves normal moves.
I have to disagree with both.
With RE I won't cry if they cut the mini game from it, but attack deflection phase should absolutely stay, it simply can do something else on hit depending on a character like Raphael's prep RE already does. I think that might be a decent compromise, but I'm very much against removing RE mechanics completely.
Also locking certain moves behind Soul Charge is great. It allows non-soul charged gameplay to stay more calm and pokey while with Soul Charge crap hits the fan for a limited amount of time, allowing crazy combos and massive damage. I absolutely don't want crazy combos and massive damage to be the default norm at all times, if I wanted that, I would have played Tekken instead of SC.

I think Dissidia has the right end of the stick here. Indeed, i would go further and say, much as we might not like to hear it, we ought to be expecting exactly the opposite trend. We are simply done with the days of getting huge rosters off the bat: the future of this industry, particularly as concerns this genre (and even more particularly, the games with lower market share within the genre) is the continuing support DLC model. I think you will see content increasingly serialized and that you will be paying more for the complete roster, but as a consequence, those rosters will get larger by the end of a game's DLC support cycle, even if the same roster is somewhat anemic for the base game.

And I feel this is something we should celebrate and embrace, not treat as stinginess on the part of the developer. This has been a longtime coming: developers in this genre in particular have been squeezed between a stagnate price for the base product, skyrocketing production costs, and decreased buy-in for many years now, and that's the biggest part of why both the quality and quantity of content in some classic fighter franchises has plummeted. It's taken them a long time to convince the consumer that multiple season passes are worth the price of admission and now that they've got there, expect them to double down in the next generation. I expect you will get anywhere from 16-24 characters in the base game for SCVII, but that by the time the last DLC character drops, you might have a massive roster in the vein of 40 characters.

At least, that's how I hope it goes. But for those expecting the entire SCVI roster (DLC characters and all) to show up in SCVII's base game, I'm afraid that's just a pipe dream. The numbers just don't add up for that--and this is a business, where those numbers are king over just about any other consideration.
You make some very fair points particularly in relation to the direction of the wider industry and where it’s heading, but I very much disagree that we should be celebrating and embracing what is essentially getting less bang for your buck / value for money.

The average consumer is arguably less likely to factor in things like wider direction of travel of the industry when making their purchase decision, and will instead make a judgement based on how much worthwhile content they’re getting from an initial purchase.

I’d like to assume a couple more things - that SCVII comes out within the next 2-3 years as an early next gen title, and that the budget is bigger in light of the relative success of SCVI. If this is the case, I think it’s extremely unreasonable to lock content behind a pay wall that only requires minimal effort to put in the game (my point being it shouldn’t in theory be hard to port SCVI characters to SCVII). Yes this might be a critique of the wider industry rather than Project Soul, but I think it’s an important one nonetheless and that we shouldn’t just accept what we’re given without challenge.

The customer (and a loyal one at that) has the right to expect a certain standard and level of quality, especially with such a well established franchise. Ultimately I think there’s a sweet spot somewhere in between of us getting a SCVII that is bigger and better than its predecessors (including games like SCII and III which had a starting roster larger than SCVI) and a game that is produced in the current economic climate (which in itself might negate my whole argument once the post Covid-19 dust has settled).

From the way things are going I think in SC7 base roster we are guaranteed to have:

1). Zasalamel - since I believe SC7 will be a combination of SC2 and SC3 storylines, Zasalamel is basically the main player here orchestrating major events.
2). Azwel - his main purpose is to fill original timeline plotholes with explanations which he will continue to do (in particular when it comes to Raphael's vampire transformation and so on). Also I believe people in general really liked the character, which is important for a newcomer. Also he is the main Libra of Soul antagonist.
4). Siegfried - can't have a SC game without one of the poster boy knights. Also giant plot relevance.
5). Nightmare - can't have a SC game without the other poster boy knight. Also giant plot relevance.
6). Amy - her journey to find Raphael is heavily teased in her SC6 Soul Chronicle. Also you can't have Viola's origin story without Amy.
7). Viola - she's the most popular SC5 character and her inclusion was teased in Amy's SC6 Soul Chronicle for a good reason.
8). Wilhelm aka ZWEI - I think Wilhelm is a better name for the character, but the point is for ZWEI's moveset to return (hopefully with many refinments). His inclusion was teased in both Amy's (a mysterious companion to join Amy and her maid on their quest to find Raphael) and Hilde's Chronicle (an injured wolf themed edgeboy with a cross-shaped weapon traveling around the world doing diplomacy for Wolfkrone Kingdom).
9). Cassandra - she's basically on the mission to break old timeline canon, which is one of the most important things to do in SC7.
10). Tira - from a story perspective she'll be Cassandra's main opponent and the final boss of Cassandra's Chronicle.
11). Kilik - the obvious SC2 protagonist (with Raphael being the secret one), also you can't just drop SC6 main character from SC7.
12). Ivy - way too popular and unique of a character, also her plot against Cervantes is really cool.
13). Cervantes - he's a popular cool character, also he's needed for Ivy's story.
14). Taki - way too popular and cool to miss. Also after SC5 people will be doubly mad.
17). Astaroth - series top grappler. You need at least one to appease the archetype.
19). Yun-Seong - you need at least one Korean and he is the most popular according to the official poll, also his SC7 role will be properly established and teased in his SC6 DLC Chronicle.
20). Talim - I guess I can't ignore her popularity poll placement forever, also Yun-Seong needs a companion, so those two go hand in hand.

Only having 20 slots is definitely rough, my most controversial uninclusions are:
1). Groh - I believe he should be essential for Libra of Soul sequel storyline to work, yet as I look at my 20 base roster character selection, I can't find anyone to kick out to free an extra slot. Maybe they'll have to make SC7 base roster 21 non-boss characters big just to be able to fit him. I really can't see any other solution.
2). Sophitia - the final major character in the whole Cassandra/Tira/Sophitia plot. Story-wise she's the least important of the three at this point, but I still think she's very popular, so it hurts to cut her. I think she might be a good candidate for day one free with the season pass DLC the way Tira was in SC6.
3). Xianghua - in a SC2/3 remake her story purpose won't be near as important as in SC1 (she basically hangs around Kilik and Maxi as the trio tries to stop Nightmare for the second time only to fail), but she is still a hightly popular cool character. Definitely a strong contender for Season 1 DLC.
5). Seong Mi-na - a very cool and popular character, still for SC7 purposes Yun-Seong is a better choice for the base roster. Should be among top priority DLCs.

All other base roster uninclusions like Setsuka or Hilde I think are not controversial at all.

P.S. Thinking about it, there will definitely be new characters and at least one guest... oh my...
I think that's a really solid prediction overall. I'm not so sure about X or maxi as either they or a rough analog have been included consistently since the earliest games. And I wonder if maybe Viola might not be first season (day one?) DLC; unlike most people I don't consider that a sin if the core game has given good value. I'm also not super sold on the Wilhelm=Zwei angle, but then I was on the fence about Amy=Viola, so....

I have to disagree with both.
With RE I won't cry if they cut the mini game from it, but attack deflection phase should absolutely stay, it simply can do something else on hit depending on a character like Raphael's prep RE already does. I think that might be a decent compromise, but I'm very much against removing RE mechanics completely.
Also locking certain moves behind Soul Charge is great. It allows non-soul charged gameplay to stay more calm and pokey while with Soul Charge crap hits the fan for a limited amount of time, allowing crazy combos and massive damage. I absolutely don't want crazy combos and massive damage to be the default norm at all times, if I wanted that, I would have played Tekken instead of SC.
Largely agreed here as well. I think RE has to morph into something much faster and less pace-breaking than it currently is, not to mention more balanced, but I think there is a great argument to be made for keeping the core roll that it was meant to introduce to the Rock-Paper-Scissors melange of the game. Make it slightly faster, remove the mini-game, and make it either neutral on meter or even cost meter, depending on how the individual RE's other qualities are calibrated, for the sake of balance. Maybe allow succesully application to recover like 80% of what was expended to initiate the move but never make it quite a meter net-positive. Or again, just neutral.

RE as the term applies in this game is nothing less than the most significant and uniformly positive addition SCVI brings to the overall Soulcalibur formula. I think it has to stay in some form for maybe every subsequent title.

Last edited:
You make some very fair points particularly in relation to the direction of the wider industry and where it’s heading, but I very much disagree that we should be celebrating and embracing what is essentially getting less bang for your buck / value for money.

The average consumer is arguably less likely to factor in things like wider direction of travel of the industry when making their purchase decision, and will instead make a judgement based on how much worthwhile content they’re getting from an initial purchase.

I’d like to assume a couple more things - that SCVII comes out within the next 2-3 years as an early next gen title, and that the budget is bigger in light of the relative success of SCVI. If this is the case, I think it’s extremely unreasonable to lock content behind a pay wall that only requires minimal effort to put in the game (my point being it shouldn’t in theory be hard to port SCVI characters to SCVII). Yes this might be a critique of the wider industry rather than Project Soul, but I think it’s an important one nonetheless and that we shouldn’t just accept what we’re given without challenge.

The customer (and a loyal one at that) has the right to expect a certain standard and level of quality, especially with such a well established franchise. Ultimately I think there’s a sweet spot somewhere in between of us getting a SCVII that is bigger and better than its predecessors (including games like SCII and III which had a starting roster larger than SCVI) and a game that is produced in the current economic climate (which in itself might negate my whole argument once the post Covid-19 dust has settled).

Only if they want to shoot themselves in the foot should consumers adopt such a dogmatic view. I understand why the early years of DLC made game consumer hyper vigilant about getting the shaft, but there's far too much inflexibility and histionic overreaction to new payment models in those same communities as a result now. As I mentioned before, companies in this genre have been struggling to make a profit for ages: it is very hard for them to hit unit volume targets at the heights necessary to keep pace with rising production costs, especially if you are talking about a major 3D fighter. We can either be squuemish/entitled about what we get or confront the basic reality that we won't get larger rosters unless we are willing to buy into the continuing support model. Everyone is free to decide for themselves how much they invest, and yes, by all means keep the company honest: if you don't feel like you get your money's worth for the core game, there's no real harm in one saying as much. What I can't understand is people who self-sabotage their own interest in more content by being unwilling to consider that season passes have to start after a certain roster threshold. That's my take anyway.[/QUOTE]

Very much agree with that generally--I would add only one caveat: it's better to judge the standard flexibly, and not by the question of when content was finished. If they had eight day one dlc characters, my first impulse would be "awesome" if and only if the rest of the core game content was worth what I paid for it at the time I paid for it, if you follow my meaning. If you do that, I view anything further as bonus content and I don't care when it was finished or even if it is indeed on the damn disk: some of the objections people have to this sort of thing are quite irrational and arbitrary and to my mind very much miss the point. if what I get is a reasonable amount of content, considering 1) how it stacks up against my other purchase options, 2) how much I like that particular piece of content and want to support it and, 3) what I think are realistic costs the developer/publisher had to address. I've never understood why exactly "when the content was technically finished" not only gets into people's lists, but in effect sits at the top of their list of priorities.

Only if they want to shoot themselves in the foot should consumers adopt such a dogmatic view. I understand why the early years of DLC made game consumer hyper vigilant about getting the shaft, but there's far too much inflexibility and histionic overreaction to new payment models in those same communities as a result now. As I mentioned before, companies in this genre have been struggling to make a profit for ages: it is very hard for them to hit unit volume targets at the heights necessary to keep pace with rising production costs, especially if you are talking about a major 3D fighter. We can either be squuemish/entitled about what we get or confront the basic reality that we won't get larger rosters unless we are willing to buy into the continuing support model. Everyone is free to decide for themselves how much they invest, and yes, by all means keep the company honest: if you don't feel like you get your money's worth for the core game, there's no real harm in one saying as much. What I can't understand is people who self-sabotage their own interest in more content by being unwilling to consider that season passes have to start after a certain roster threshold. That's my take anyway.

Generally I think we’re in agreement. I’m not especially critical of how SCVI’s roster and DLC has been handled - this was the first game in the series in 6 years, for a new generation of consoles, made on a tight budget with little indication of whether it would be financially successful or not. I do not expect similar compromises for SCVII however, given the success of SCVI and the likely profits made (providing they make SCVII in the not too distant future and so are able to reuse most of the assets from SCVI).

I think I’m more inclined to lean to the side of the customer / fan feeling they made a return on their investment rather than the business making a large profit.

Also I’m just not buying that Tira was anything other than planned Day 1 DLC from the beginning - and I think this is wrong of companies and we should hold them to account when they adopt these unnecessarily greedy practices.

Last edited:

Sophitia, Maxi, Xianghua and Seong-Mina are such series staples (SCV not withstanding) there’s no way in hell they won’t make the base roster!

Also, if a bunch of the SCVI characters (base roster or DLC) don’t make the cut for SCVII - what’s the incentive to move on to the newer entry? For me personally, you could give me all the new flashy combat systems and game modes in the world, but if the newer entry is missing a good chunk of characters from its predecessor, it’s a pass from me. I think Project Soul would need to be careful that they don’t inadvertently make SCVI the definitive edition in the franchise if they are having to cut characters for SCVII (arguably what happened with SCIV and V, judging by the respective sales of those games)..

Last edited:
Sophitia, Maxi, Xianghua and Seong-Mina are such series staples (SCV not withstanding) there’s no way in hell they won’t make the base roster!

Right!? Isn’t Xianghua the one that actually had Soulcalibur? Also, unlike Yun or Amy, Sohphitia and Xianghua actually have something to do with the main story and the Soul Swords. Could not see a SC without them.

Sophitia and Mi-na almost didn’t make it to SoulCalibur II, you know. The plan was for Cassandra and Kilik to usurp them completely, like Astaroth was for Rock, except he has now succeeded in doing that now. Yun-seong hasn’t won the war yet, though, with Hwang getting into SoulCalibur VI first or only depending on if we get a season three or not. I’m not saying that they’ll repeat past mistakes, but there was an attempt. It didn’t work, and they were essentially forced into bringing them back for the home release of SoulCalibur II, but there was a real attempt back then to remove Sophitia and Mi-na.

Sophitia and Mi-na almost didn’t make it to SoulCalibur II, you know. The plan was for Cassandra and Kilik to usurp them completely, like Astaroth was for Rock, except he has now succeeded in doing that now. Yun-seong hasn’t won the war yet, though, with Hwang getting into SoulCalibur VI first or only depending on if we get a season three or not. I’m not saying that they’ll repeat past mistakes, but there was an attempt. It didn’t work, and they were essentially forced into bringing them back for the home release of SoulCalibur II, but there was a real attempt back then to remove Sophitia and Mi-na.
This was attempted twice and failed both times. They need to phase characters out and in more smoothly than they did with SC2 and SC5.

Also locking certain moves behind Soul Charge is great. It allows non-soul charged gameplay to stay more calm and pokey while with Soul Charge crap hits the fan for a limited amount of time, allowing crazy combos and massive damage. I absolutely don't want crazy combos and massive damage to be the default norm at all times,

That's why I said just balance them accordingly. A lot of these Soul Charge moves have been normal moves in past games, it's just a case of making them do less damage overall and change the frame data so you're minus on hit or punishable on block.

Well, let me just put the brakes on this whole exercise right here ...

QFT. We're not even officially done with SC6, why would Bandai Namco sacrifice the current momentum just because 9th gen is just around the corner. If anything, it will probably be better for fighting game devs to release their sequels mid generation due to a console player base being adequate in size by that time.

QFT. We're not even officially done with SC6, why would Bandai Namco sacrifice the current momentum just because 9th gen is just around the corner. If anything, it will probably be better for fighting game devs to release their sequels mid generation due to a console player base being adequate in size by that time.

Tekken 7 didnt release on arcades til 2015....no console til 2017. The fifth year (or fourth) that the PS4/xbone was out... we aren't getting a sequel for years....

That's why I said just balance them accordingly. A lot of these Soul Charge moves have been normal moves in past games, it's just a case of making them do less damage overall and change the frame data so you're minus on hit or punishable on block.
Well, what's the point then? You'll just end up with a bunch of underwhelming moves you don't really need and a useless Soul Charge.

Back