Soulcalibur VI General Roster Speculation Thread

SoulCalibur VI: which 3 characters do you most hope for?

• A brand new character

• Amy

• Cassandra

• Hilde

• Hwang/Yunsung and/or Lizardman

• Rock

• Setsuka

• Viola

• Z.W.E.I.

• Other: Abyss, Algol, Dampierre, Elysium, Leixia, Li Long, Patroklos, etc.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Okubo himself said the keyword for the game is reboot...
Never heard of it, and even if he did, this game is not a reboot, it could be considered a soft reboot at best, like I said, but it is nowhere near what the definition of a reboot is, there are way too many changes done already, and we're pretty much half-way there, in terms of what information we have out there.

Remake brings the prospect of a remake with a new cast and possible visual and recording modernization, but based on and retaining the format of the original work.
The reboots, on the other hand, indicate the restart, make the film or franchise start from scratch and become a unique narrative with a new story and without relying on something pre-existing. Remain only basic elements of the plot.
Again, just from what little information we have already, this isn't a reboot, and I'm not just talking about the story, the game as a whole is very different from what it used to be, it's not just sword fighting anymore, the game has a huge focus on each individual character's unique ability and those abilities, who are very much a visual modernization, shape the gameplay and flips it completely on it's face, the story has been given HUGE changes with 2 newcomers at the front of it, in Geralt, who's a guest character and Groh, who's very different from the usual SC character archetype we've seen so far, the marketing for this game, is also very different, focusing on competitiveness way more than ever before, I can pinpoint a lot of elements about the game that are just too big and cross the line of a reboot, besides, you do have to remember that we are only half-way through in terms of information that's been out, we don't know just how many newcomers are going to inhabit the roster and how many changes this game is going to receive as a game, with potential content ahead of us.

They way you're using remake, reboot and soft reboot makes me think you don't know what they mean.

But then again, I don't know if Okubo knows what they mean either, so what does it matter?

Everything we've seen so far, and all of the recent interviews that Okubo has given, indicate that the plot of SCVI won't be making any significant changes to the established lore from SE and SC1. There haven't been any radical character changes and the cut scenes have all shown stuff that happened in SC1. It could all just be a clever fake out, but I'm inclined to believe Okubo when he says they just wanted to re-tell this story, but add new perspectives on these events.

They way you're using remake, reboot and soft reboot makes me think you don't know what they mean.

But then again, I don't know if Okubo knows what they mean either, so what does it matter?

Everything we've seen so far, and all of the recent interviews that Okubo has given, indicate that the plot of SCVI won't be making any significant changes to the established lore from SE and SC1. There haven't been any radical character changes and the cut scenes have all shown stuff that happened in SC1. It could all just be a clever fake out, but I'm inclined to believe Okubo when he says they just wanted to re-tell this story, but add new perspectives on these events.
I explained myself pretty well, it seems like you are the one who's not sure what to say about the situation, since you're so on the fence with your opinion on it, I'm just gonna point out that we're yet to even know half of the full picture and already there are big enough changes done to every aspect of the game to cross the line of just a simple reboot.

Last edited:
Mechanics have been changed a good deal, yes, there's not really much refuting that, but the story will be almost exactly the same, with more details filled in. Details that were only in bios before, or only available via external sources like art books, will have their place in the game's actual story mode. And not just like, cutaways in arcade mode, or the one true story and everyone else doesn't matter approach, but everyone's individual stories.

With that in mind, having as many returning characters as possible is the best way to take advantage of this, since the more new characters we have, the less characters we get to flesh out properly. You can argue that we'll see the characters in cutscenes, but not actually have them playable, but that just lessens their value, makes it seem like they don't matter.

Every character that has existed in this series is important on some level, and they all play their parts. Some less than others, to be sure, but those lesser impactful characters, it shouldn't be seen as an opportunity to leave them out, but to actually bring them in, to put everyone on an equal playing field, to have details that were only speculative before be given full undisputed canon status instead, that's the intent with the story mode that is going to be in SoulCalibur VI.

Grøh's inclusion (and his leaked father) is intriguing, at that, don't get me wrong, But that he's so out of place in itself is perhaps his plot point, as has been speculated that perhaps he is a time traveler, given his far more modern look that absolutely does not look like it came out of the sixteenth century, it's a well-reasoned enough possibility that it could be true. Time travel is an established concept, as seen in SoulCalibur V, where Edge Master sent Patroklos back in time to undo the killing of Pyrrha.

Grøh may very well have taken the Astral Chaos under his control to go back in time to prevent the future where Soul Edge influences the world, and that could be the Aval Organization's goal, to change the past. They will probably ultimately fail, as most time travel plots go, but he may just be the justification that is taking us back to the past to repeat the events of the previous games in the first place. We won't know his story until the game comes out, to be sure, but if this is the way of things, then him (and his father) being the only new character(s) makes sense.

With that in mind, having as many returning characters as possible is the best way to take advantage of this, since the more new characters we have, the less characters we get to flesh out properly. You can argue that we'll see the characters in cutscenes, but not actually have them playable, but that just lessens their value, makes it seem like they don't matter.
We can't judge that before seeing what actually happens with them, maybe they're building something interesting with some of the "missing characters" for the sequel.
Every character that has existed in this series is important on some level, and they all play their parts. Some less than others, to be sure, but those lesser impactful characters, it shouldn't be seen as an opportunity to leave them out, but to actually bring them in, to put everyone on an equal playing field, to have details that were only speculative before be given full undisputed canon status instead, that's the intent with the story mode that is going to be in SoulCalibur VI.
I don't fully disagree with that, they can be big parts of the story, as a bigger picture yet not be base roster characters, or some not even roster characters at all.
Mechanics have been changed a good deal, yes, there's not really much refuting that, but the story will be almost exactly the same, with more details filled in. Details that were only in bios before, or only available via external sources like art books, will have their place in the game's actual story mode. And not just like, cutaways in arcade mode, or the one true story and everyone else doesn't matter approach, but everyone's individual stories.

Grøh's inclusion (and his leaked father) is intriguing, at that, don't get me wrong, But that he's so out of place in itself is perhaps his plot point, as has been speculated that perhaps he is a time traveler, given his far more modern look that absolutely does not look like it came out of the sixteenth century, it's a well-reasoned enough possibility that it could be true. Time travel is an established concept, as seen in SoulCalibur V, where Edge Master sent Patroklos back in time to undo the killing of Pyrrha.

Grøh may very well have taken the Astral Chaos under his control to go back in time to prevent the future where Soul Edge influences the world, and that could be the Aval Organization's goal, to change the past. They will probably ultimately fail, as most time travel plots go, but he may just be the justification that is taking us back to the past to repeat the events of the previous games in the first place. We won't know his story until the game comes out, to be sure, but if this is the way of things, then him (and his father) being the only new character(s) makes sense.
I don't agree with that at all...I think the only character that will temper with time in this game is Zasalamel, but even with that, I'm still not 100% sure he's a time traveler, I think Groh is just a new, leading role character, that will probably go through some serious character development throughout the story, and his appearance and rivalry with Kilik might be deceptive, and he's going to be more on the good side as the story continues, rather than just an anti-hero.

With the latest information, I feel more confident than ever that this will be the final roster:

SK1BkJ9.png

If Inferno's not playable, then the center slot could very well be used for DLC, and then the left extra node is for CaS and the right extra node is for bonus characters, such as Rothion and others, maybe Hwang and Li Long? If we're getting a bonus character slot, it makes more sense for Inferno to actually not be playable. We'll see.

Edit: Changed the ideas for DLC/CaS/bonus characters thanks to a suggestion by @tirakai.

Last edited:
Never heard of it, and even if he did, this game is not a reboot, it could be considered a soft reboot at best, like I said, but it is nowhere near what the definition of a reboot is, there are way too many changes done already, and we're pretty much half-way there, in terms of what information we have out there.
It's explicitly a new timeline. I'm taking what they called it over your claim and insistence that "IT CAN'T BE A REBOOT" because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. It even says "Welcome to the stage of history, retold". I mean, it's pretty obvious seeing as they game's story includes new aspects that weren't even there before and retcons things.

Also, I'm kinda worried about Cassandra's chances. I've heard nothing about her being in the game, and she wasn't playable in SCI era plus Lizardman has the shield and sword style. I know we have SCII and SCIII characters and it's a reboot, but it mainly focuses on the SCI roster. I'd be willing to be they're saving characters like Cassandra for sequels.
She will most likely be one of the DLC characters...hopefully along with Hilde. I would love to see them in the game but I think they have the lowest chances of making it in. Cassandra would encourage people to pick up the overpriced season pass for example.

If Cassandra is in the game then maybe lizardman won't be. They could make them like the misc enemies that previous games have had and just give them her fighting style.

Spears, pistols, axes mentioned in the ESRB rating also further gives evidence for Cervantes, Astaroth, and maybe Seong-Mi-na (who is one of the more popular characters). We do have to keep in mind though that this esrb so a halberd or something similar might be spear-like to them and this could end up being a misdirect. Then again Seong-Mi-na returning makes it quite likely either Hwang or Yun-Seong will be as well...I'm beginning to fear for Raphael. There is also a possibility that the new character will have a spear or something as well though.

Yun-seong already has an in through Talim, so he doesn't need Seong Mi-na to justify his spot. Seong Mi-na would be more likely if Hwang was in, but it doesn't look like he will be, so I could see both of them being left out. If nothing else, Seong Mi-na will be one of those people who won't be involved in the story, since we have more character slots than story timeline names listed. If Lizardman is going to adapt Patroklos's style, it would be neat to have Sophitia, Cassandra, and Patroklos styles all being in the game all at once, so I see that as very possible.

But I feel like Seong Mi-na, Cassandra, and Amy are all kind of in a 33/33/33 limbo about who gets included. Amy depends on Raphael's inclusion, but I believe he'll make it in. Cassandra can make it in for her links to Sophitia, so... yeah. Amy would make better DLC bait than Cassandra, I think, though I could see either or, but if they want to have her be Viola as a playable character from now on, it would make more sense to have Viola as DLC than to be on the base roster, and Amy can just be a non-playable character in Raphael's story like Rothion is for Sophitia's story..

The for-sure DLC characters, I believe, are Setsuka, Hilde, and a second guest, likely female. So the last DLC slot could go to Seong Mi-na or Amy/Viola.

Yun-seong already has an in through Talim, so he doesn't need Seong Mi-na to justify his spot. Seong Mi-na would be more likely if Hwang was in, but it doesn't look like he will be, so I could see both of them being left out. If nothing else, Seong Mi-na will be one of those people who won't be involved in the story, since we have more character slots than story timeline names listed. If Lizardman is going to adapt Patroklos's style, it would be neat to have Sophitia, Cassandra, and Patroklos styles all being in the game all at once, so I see that as very possible.

But I feel like Seong Mi-na, Cassandra, and Amy are all kind of in a 33/33/33 limbo about who gets included. Amy depends on Raphael's inclusion, but I believe he'll make it in. Cassandra can make it in for her links to Sophitia, so... yeah. Amy would make better DLC bait than Cassandra, I think, though I could see either or, but if they want to have her be Viola as a playable character from now on, it would make more sense to have Viola as DLC than to be on the base roster, and Amy can just be a non-playable character in Raphael's story like Rothion is for Sophitia's story..

The for-sure DLC characters, I believe, are Setsuka, Hilde, and a second guest, likely female. So the last DLC slot could go to Seong Mi-na or Amy/Viola.
I've heard nothing on Yun so I'm starting to worry. Also, I highly doubt all four DLC fighters will be girls, this ain't DOA.

I wonder if William from Nioh would make a good dlc guest character they could give him one of the more unique weapons from that game.

I wonder if William from Nioh would make a good dlc guest character they could give him one of the more unique weapons from that game.
Not likely to happen, since Nioh isn't available on Xbox One, and SoulCalibur VI will be.

Nah, it should be 2B. Now that Nier: Automata is coming to Xbox One, there's no excuse for why she can't be there.

Not likely to happen, since Nioh isn't available on Xbox One, and SoulCalibur VI will be.
That is far from being a problem. Nioh doesn't belong to Sony (you may have forgotten that Nioh is available on PC), it belongs to Koei, if Koei made a deal with Namco to add William in SC6, he could appear without any issue.

The only issues with that are...William being on a game that will be available for XB1, when his own game isn’t. Also, the series already has its own Mighty Whitey samurai in Arthur, technically (who was actually present in some versions of SCI).

Back