SoulCalibur VI Storyline Theory Thread

Okay, this is my problem with that idea: it's the exact same thing that led to problems in SCV. V tried to have it both ways by bringing back too many veterans instead of just biting the bullet and starting fresh or aging people accordingly. VI bringing back EVERYONE for the roster in-canon despite the timeframe making no sense creates the same kind of problems. Either save some characters for later (either through SCVII or DLC) or get used to substitutes. Trying to have your cake and eat it never works. Furthermore, it would just lead to the narrative being overstuffed (which is the exact opposite problem of V) considering they've already confirmed they're doing a story mode.

We have no idea when Setsuka actually set out. For all we know she was already after Mitsurugi in 1584- she simply wasn't shown to us until 1590. The timeframe straight up isn't an issue here. Stuffing in an extra character when they aren't needed is a bad idea as well, and putting in Shugen over Setsuka is entirely unnecessary. It would be replacing her(or I guess Alpha Pat) with yet another new character when you could just as well put in the original.

Shugen is a terrible idea because again, his death is supposedly in 1584(meaning he's already dead in SCVI's timeframe) meaning you would actually have to retcon his time of death just to exclude Setsuka(who has no good reason not to be in).

We have no idea when Setsuka actually set out. For all we know she was already after Mitsurugi in 1584- she simply wasn't shown to us until 1590.

Then her reason for being there is nil. Her entire arc is attached to Mitsurugi at the hip. If she doesn't meet him then it's pointless and she's just there for fanservice. And, once again, overstuffing the plot

I do like the idea of just having the whole cast in the game but make the storyline separate. Or they should just do a tag tournament like tekken lol

That's pretty much the only way to reconcile it; having the roster back, but they're non-canon appearances due to timeline discrepancies. They're already doing enough retcons with adding previously unmentioned new characters so anything more would probably cause things to buckle under their weight.

Then her reason for being there is nil. Her entire arc is attached to Mitsurugi at the hip. If she doesn't meet him then it's pointless and she's just there for fanservice. And, once again, overstuffing the plot

...What in blazes?

Then her reason for being there is nil.

No, it's the same reason she's even in the series in the first place.

Her entire arc is attached to Mitsurugi at the hip. If she doesn't meet him then it's pointless and she's just there for fanservice.

Reminder that by this logic, Setsuka shouldn't have been in SCIII in the first place, as she never met him or interacted with him in III. Mitsu is the starting point of her arc and the end point- not everything inbetween. So no, she's not just there for fanservice.

And, once again, overstuffing the plot

Essentially unavoidable when you have a full fighting game cast that all need to be properly personalized.

...What in blazes?

1) She DOES meet Mitsurugi in SCIII, in both her Tale of Souls and Mitsurugi's. They face off because that's dramatic payoff. It is one of the most basic rules of storytelling.

2) Even if she didn't it doesn't somehow justify the same thing happening theoretically in VI. Saying "Oh, it was badly written the first time." is not an argument.

3) No, overstuffing the plot is NOT unavoidable. You use what's important and don't use what isn't. Furthermore, it's going back to SCI where things are just starting off. It's been six years since V but it's almost been a DECADE since SCIV. And that's even before getting into how old SCI's storyline is (20 years, holy crap). They need to make the foundation first and then slowly build up, not try to make the whole building at once at people especially since this will probably be the first SC for a significant chunk of buyers. I get wanting to have everyone back all at once, but it's probably not gonna happen just because that would be a mess. Again, you can't have it both ways.

Well having all characters from all games would be a mess. I'll be perfectly happy if they have the SCI roster plus a few new characters (or maybe just one guest and the dual-blade-staff wielder?), and have everything nicely polished and well thought-out, and get the later characters in SCVII and onwards. But I'd only be happy with this if we had the certainty of getting SCVII and the newer characters in it in a few year, not after 6 years of silence and trash though.

As to the story mode, I like the suggestion someone here had of expanding upon SCI's story, because as said, a lot of it is background and told in text, if even. So expanding the story and showing more of it sounds great to me, rather than a reboot. But "history hides away more than one truth" kinda contradicts this...

Anyway, the stuff you guys came up with - Setsuka's master, Taki's master, the Schwarzwind, Siegfried's transformation to Nightmare etc. - it all sounds great to me, and I'd love to see it.

Ok so let's look at the roster from SCI

Astaroth
Cervantes
Edge Master
Hwang
Inferno
Ivy
Kilik
Lizardman
Maxi
Mitsurugi (that guy Arthur too, any chance we'll see him as a costume?)
Nightmare
Rock
Seong Mi-Na
Siegfried
Sophitia
Taki
Voldo
Xianghua
Yoshimitsu

OK. So out of these, are there any we might NOT see if they're gonna put in new characters? I mean majority of the newer characters were practically mirrors of eachother.

Supposedly were promised each character being diverse. And has anyone considered what the meaning of the flashbacks in the first trailer mean? We see references to SC2-5 and then it cuts to Sophitia. Is she "remembering" these things? Or is she getting them as an oracle from the gods? Why?

If Project Soul claims to have more than half done, then we can assume this is the space for the final roster and stage selection. 20 characters and 12 stages (unless there's hidden unlockables, which is likely)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171219-133846.png
    Screenshot_20171219-133846.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot_20171219-133856.png
    Screenshot_20171219-133856.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 184
Ok so let's look at the roster from SCI

Astaroth
Cervantes
Edge Master
Hwang
Inferno
Ivy
Kilik
Lizardman
Maxi
Mitsurugi (that guy Arthur too, any chance we'll see him as a costume?)
Nightmare
Rock
Seong Mi-Na
Siegfried
Sophitia
Taki
Voldo
Xianghua
Yoshimitsu

OK. So out of these, are there any we might NOT see if they're gonna put in new characters? I mean majority of the newer characters were practically mirrors of eachother.

The thing is the further along the series went the more characters began to differentiate from one another. Aeon became way more savage and brutal in his style, Rock became more grappling-centric, and Seong Mi-na really evolved differently from Kilik. So in terms of movesets the characters can justify their existence with the exception of Inferno who's just kinda there. You could probably also just fuse Nightmare and Siegfried into one character unless you go with their SCIII and beyond movesets. Story on the other hand is completely different. The Korean characters for example are pretty superfluous to the plot, same with Rock unfortunately. They would have to do some retcons to work them in.

Supposedly were promised each character being diverse. And has anyone considered what the meaning of the flashbacks in the first trailer mean? We see references to SC2-5 and then it cuts to Sophitia. Is she "remembering" these things? Or is she getting them as an oracle from the gods? Why?

It could just be something they put into the trailer to indicate the previous entries in the franchise. I can think of a couple of story reasons. One is Sophitia is seeing things that will happen in the future because she has had visions before (heck, she gets involved in SCI because she has visions of Nightmare) another is that it's an indication they're going to be foreshadowing things to come, like maybe alluding to Algol in the backstory to the Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. It's a way for them to make things seem more cohesive instead of blatantly just making stuff up as it went along.

I wonder what changes for Sophitia in the story. In SC1, Kilik and Xianghua stopped Nightmare befor Sophitia could do anything so she went straight home. I doubt they would go that route again, so it's really interesting to see what changes for her.

If it IS a reboot then none of the previous character stories will much matter, so it's fully possible Setsuka, Tira, Zas etc could still be included. Possibly even with whole new motivations and everything.

I'm fair certain most people don't care how their favourite ties into the story as long as it means they get included.

I'm fair certain most people don't care how their favourite ties into the story as long as it means they get included.
Zasalamel could as well be a bonus character unlocked by completing some game mode or just appear in epilogue, forshadowing the sequel that will focus on SCIII-IV - just include him in the roster!
And Setsuka too, her style is complicated, but I'd like to try her once again.

I'm not sure if anybody has talked about this before but I just noticed that in the selection screen, the roster seems to be divided into two parts (possible SC-aligned and SE-aligned). Also, one character slot seems to connect the two as all "branches" and "roots" lead up to that slot.

Who do you think that might be? New character/new boss?

I think you guys should take notice of this, a quote from our favourite leaker:
I don't know if it would qualify, but, I'll just tell you all right now: stop thinking about the previous timeline and canon. Aspects are the same and similar, but don't expect all the same events to be retold the same way.
They're intentionally ignoring saying character's birth years and ages in Sophitia and Mitsurugi's bios for VI.
Start thinking of this more as a reboot. Just like they stressed in the interview as the key word for the game.
And if you're thinking the SCVI roster will be a 1:1 recreation of SC1's, well, stop thinking that too.
Essentially: everything can be different.

I think I should quote myself from the other topic as well, since its relevant:
Well, then, that changes absolutely everything I once thought about it. Destroys my theory about going SC1 to SC3 story wise, but it also destroys the SC1 story people are expecting too. That makes the appearence of Talim, Tira and Zasalamel make a lot more sense, since their ages will be rewritten as well. What is a shame, however, is how characters like Viola and Z.W.E.I. will get deleted despite that (as they confirmed we'll get characters from SC2 and SC3, but made no mention of SC4 or SC5), Viola can survive that if they merge her with Amy, because Amy would fall on the same category as the other three I mentioned above, but why would Z.W.E.I. be kept out with such an unique moveset? Oh well... goddammit, I have no clue of anything whatsoever, WHAT ARE THEY GONNA DO????

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see algol as a final boss in a super OP form, i mean so f*cking OP that he won't be playable. Something like Jinpachi in Tekken 5 or Azazel in Tekken 6.

I can see algol as a final boss in a super OP form, i mean so f*cking OP that he won't be playable.
His OP "boss mode" form could be unplayable, while his normal one (that was in previous two games already) could be available as unlockable character in the "SC/SE center" slot mentioned above after you finish story mode.

I can see algol as a final boss in a super OP form, i mean so f*cking OP that he won't be playable. Something like Jinpachi in Tekken 5 or Azazel in Tekken 6.
I'd rather not have them bringing this again. Outside Night Terror, all bosses from the Soul series have been average, when it comes to balance, maybe we should leave it that way. Night Terror was bad for all the wrong reasons.

I'd rather not have them bringing this again. Outside Night Terror, all bosses from the Soul series have been average, when it comes to balance, maybe we should leave it that way. Night Terror was bad for all the wrong reasons.

Tbh i don't care about Algol as him to playable or not, but i though he was sicker as boss compare to Inferno and Abyss who were really wack imo.

Tbh i don't care about Algol as him to playable or not, but i though he was sicker as boss compare to Inferno and Abyss who were really wack imo.
I agree on him being sicker. Thats because all other bosses and sub-bosses were just regular enemies or altered versions of regular enemies.
  • Soul Edge was just Cervantes
  • Inferno, Elysium, Kilik, Edge Master and Olcadan were all random weapon users (with maybe one or two minor unique features)
  • Abyss was Zasalamel with a few move moves
  • Night Terror was Nightmare with broken moves
  • Ashlotte, Shura, Scheherazade, Kamikirimusi and Angol Fear were just Astaroth, Cervantes, Amy, Nightmare and Seong Mi-Na, respectively
  • Pyrrha Ω and α Patroklos were just Sophitia and Setsuka, respectively
Algol, on the other hand, was the only boss who was his own thing: he had an unique moveset, an unique look and was somewhat over-the-top to fit his status as a boss, so he ended up being the best boss the series had.

Back