Spacing, Pressure, Mix Ups, Punishes, Matchups

L_to_Spell

[08] Mercenary
Hello I've been browsing this site for quite a while, but I had a questions none of the threads really specify. As of 2 weeks ago I took on Pat as a main, and I've been having a lot of trouble with the following:

-Applying pressure to big sword guys (Astaroth, Seigfried, Nightmare)
-Fighting Mitsurugis (Mostly can't find a way to punish/pressure him)
-Spacing (When to run in, how to know when to back off, when to step)
-Getting Stepped (I seem to constantly have my opponent on my side while I'm whiffing a 66B or similar vertical move.)
-Mix Ups (I've been simply getting the opponent to the ground and switching between a slide kick, a 66A BE, or a 66B, and of course 66K)

If anybody could reply with an answer to any of my quesions ,I would appreciate it. I have trouble enjoying playing with people who know to step because I am whiffing. I also seem to drop many 3B and 33B combos. I end up doing 3B/33B.B.B.236B.

I find myself using 236B whenever there I want to punish because it is an easy way to down them, avoid throws, and start moving in. Is it bad that I'll throw out 236B like 5-7 times a round? What would be a better move to punish with? Whenever they block 236B it is a free punish.

You apply pressure with your 1K. That's your "vortex", your "vacuum". You hit 'em with 1K, then you BB or 2A or whatever, and if they backstep you 66B and draw them right back in.

Fighting anyone in the game revolves around the question, "Can you hit 1K?"
If you can, you've won.
If you can't, you've lost.

Characters that can make it hard to land 1K (ranged characters) are Pat's "weakness" but it's not like he's dead in the water. Depends on who you're playing.

If you want to get close, try a run-up guard and see what happens. If you don't get repelled or pushed out, bam, you're on the inside, kick them in the shin.

If they're pushing you out, try and see what they're pushing you out with. If it's linear, try run-up and then step right when they do it. If it's unsafe, run-up guard and then punish it.

If it's neither, make it look like you're gonna run-up but don't, stay right outside their range. The goal is to make them miss. When they miss, depending on the move, you might be able to land a free 3B or 66B while they recover. If you can't (they recover too fast or your reflexes are too slow) you can at least run-in and 1K/BB mixup.

That's the safe option. Run-up and 1K or BB when they miss.

Generally you don't wanna back off unless you need the breathing room. You're supposed to get on 'em and stay on 'em. If you're getting hammered on/put at disadvantage you can try to escape, but if you have advantage you need to be kicking them in the shin.

You try to step whenever you're at disadvantage (not too heavy, let's say -6 or so?) and you think the other guy will throw out a vertical. Like, you attack with BB, it gets blocked, you think the other guy will retaliate with a linear move, then you step.

For keeping the other guy from stepping you, use 236AB or 3A. Up close, 1K, 4K or AA works well.

Your mixups should revolve around 1K. If they're standing, 1K/BB. If they're grounded, 1K/3B. If you think they'll stand up and block right away, you can switch out 3B for 1B instead.

If you can't hit the standard 3B combos, just 3B, 3B isn't so bad. The okizeme is pretty good, actually. Run up to them after they float in the air when you hit them with the second 3B and hit them while they're on the ground.

236B is an alright move to use in the open, but only if you're not whiffing it or you're not getting punished when it's blocked.

Do you have any videos of you playing? That usually helps get to the root of the problem faster.

I'd recommend you download and read the guides I've made as well, when you have the time.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/the-complete-patroklos-guide-series.14741/

You apply pressure with your 1K. That's your "vortex", your "vacuum". You hit 'em with 1K, then you BB or 2A or whatever, and if they backstep you 66B and draw them right back in.

Thank you! I never use 1K but i'm going to start now. Also I hardly ever use A when I'm Pat, but I'm going to get it started. I don't have any videos of me playing and I don't know how to get you one. I downloaded your Pat guides and I'm going to start reading them now before I get on SCV.

i just noticed there is a patroklos header in this page
and i don't know much about patroklos, but 1K is a very good move, about stepping i'd recommend you to always stay close to your opponent, specially when it's a long sworded character

and i never use 236B of patroklos unless the opponent is on the air, but that's up to you

So people don't appreciate me using 1K then either BB or 236B. One kid sent me a message that I was just low kicking like a turtle. Is it spamming or something to use 1K everytime we are both standing blocking and nobody is at advantage/disadvantage? What should I do instead to not be called a bad Pat? It's not like I don't use other tools. Just not rushing in for 66B as much as I used to because I seem to get sidestepped constantly when I do it.

you have to learn how to combine attacks, of course it isn't something wrong but it can be considered as "cheap" or low spam or however people lke to call it

So people don't appreciate me using 1K then either BB or 236B. One kid sent me a message that I was just low kicking like a turtle. Is it spamming or something to use 1K everytime we are both standing blocking and nobody is at advantage/disadvantage? What should I do instead to not be called a bad Pat? It's not like I don't use other tools. Just not rushing in for 66B as much as I used to because I seem to get sidestepped constantly when I do it.

No matter which character you pick, people will complain about how you play, you might aswell just ignore it. I'm assuming you won that match? If it works just keep doing it. If people don't wanna adapt to your playstyle, you don't have to adapt for them, just take your 3 free rounds and move on.

Personally I spam that 1K all day but mixup the rhythum of them e.g. 1 here, next time 2, next time 5(Yes I have done this, had him in the corner, too scared to duck for fear of a wall combo). Look me in the eyes too long and you'll be at -2 or I'll be eating a punishment.

Annoying other people is just gonna make them play worse anyway. Have you ever started playing better because someone pissed you off? Probably not. You start making dumb, desperate decisions. That kid probably got frustrated that you were "turtling" and tried to go for the big damage, got smacked, gg no re. Turtling is a legit tactic anyway, probably not with Pat but with others its decent.

losing is fun as well, so it's not just about winning, not sure if I don't take this game as serious as you do guys. rofl

Trying to trivialize the subject?

We're talking about something very serious. You try to play the game, you try to be the best you can be, and people will hate and call you names and try to drag you down just for playing the game properly.

Because they're weak.

They can't admit that their views are wrong. Even though the game has told them so by serving them a loss. They can't stand up and see the truth.

So they denigrate it.

And if you listen to them you'll just hold yourself back.

Now- losing is necessary. In fact, it's more valuable than winning.

Because a loss is an opportunity to learn.

But you won't be able to learn from any loss if you're not giving 110%. If you're not pushing your limits and playing to your fullest you won't learn anything when you lose, except the fact that you weren't playing your best.

If you're not trying to win- by using every tactic in the book, clean or dirty- if you're not using your losses as tools to learn from so that you can win in the future- if you're not doing what is right for your own development and growth- then you're missing out on a substantial part of the game.

And I can't idly stand by and let that go without saying something about it.

I'm sick of this "fun" argument.

Fortunately, someone already debunked it for me. DEBUNKED FUN you say? Nah, they did.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/beyond-fun
wait-no-fun-allowed-spiderman-wlL2CK.jpg

Back