Spacing & Sidestep-Catching

Sora

[11] Champion
Hi guys! So as I'm continuing to study/master Ivy; I've been racking my brain in trying to find out her best counter-step moves. I think it's particularly tricky with Ivy since you have to have a good anti-step or two for each stance. o.o; The problem is, each stance's anti-step is not as effective as the next... or so I think? I would like more insight in this matter.

WP
3A - Obviously. :p
SS - Obviously, especially on blockstun.
WR A - Good move, good reach, the only problem is getting to crouch.
6AA - Definitely good on CH, but quite unsafe and last hit is high. Especially against Amy players, I'm finding this highly ineffective and not worth the risk. (But then again so is the rest of the WP moveset)

CL
3A - Seriously, I wish this had a more decent followup on CH.
33A - Good on CH, but on the slow side.

SW
1KBK - I love the tracking properties of this move. Possibly one of the best in SW in terms of CH/Buffering/Anti-step
66A - Good on CH, relatively unsafe against certain characters, definitely on the slow side.
4A - No idea on this move. Slow as heck. ><
44A - Godly on CH... if the CH ever hit. It's slow and can't step to save its life.
WR A - Such a good move! But again, has to be from crouch which limits its anti-step potential.
CS - Obviously as well.

I have anti step issues with particularly fast characters such as Taki/Amy (Gah... Amy 33B is so annoying ><). So anyone have any insight? Not only via listing moves, but in general gameplay as well.

Ivy Counter-Step

Ivy has so many anti-step moves that it's even hard to list them all. There are dozens of moves that cover one side (like SW 3B for instance) or moves that track (SW 6B9K, 1KBK, SE BBB/5hit JF, SW_CL_WP BB etc) Of course, Whip 3A is probably the best anti-step tool Ivy has. Before the patch, it probably was one of the top 10 moves of the game, now it's worse but still godly. It's too easy to land it on CH. And on maximum range you can erase 1/3 of your opponent's life bar with it.

I would add these:

SW:

6A - short range but this move really rocks. Nic pushback on block, big advantage on hit.
3A - it covers completely one side (I don't remember which one though...) stuns on NH

WP:

22_88A - insane range. It's pretty slow but the range makes it safe. On hit, can become an AT with +11 frame advantage.
4A - it's high but safe and nice adv on NH and CH (both +4)
66A - whip version of CL 66A. Nice range, but unsafe on block.

CL
66A - very good. It's fast and on hit CL 9gB is guaranteed.
4A - slow and high, but on hit guarantees CL 236BB. Imo it's pretty good post GI.

It seems that WP has most dangerous anit-step tools (dangerous for you and your opponent... unfortunately)

The Spacing Game

I thought I'd make this thread to start a discussion on what I think Ivy's main strength is: spacing.

Here you can talk about moves, setups, and tactics that you use to manipulate the distance between you and your opponent.

I'll start:

Keepout:

SW 3B: Beautiful pushback on block, and only -4ish.

SW 6A: See above.

CL 1B,B+K: I love this move. Make sure you prevent transition into SW if you're trying to play keepout.

CL B: Great for checking opponents at Mid range.

CL 33A: Usually safe due to pushback.

WP 6B+K: Probably tied for my favorite move in WP with WP 3A. This move has great pushback, and great SG dmg.

Distance Closing:

SW 66A: Great step killer, but the range is kinda mediocre (think of it as a gimp Lizardman 66A). Also a bit lacking in the speed department. It's really the only non-linear distance closer you have in SW though. Nothing we can do about that.

SW 66K: Safe, ok range, and TC. Also linear, though.

SW 66B: This move advances pretty far (farther than SW 66A and 66K) but it's linear and it's high. Hope that your opponent doesn't duck or step this (it also does great SG damage).

CL 66A: Pretty fast, great range, kills step. My only beef with this move is that it's a HIGH. It's almost as if Namco split Lizardman's 66A in half and gave it to us with SW 66A and CL 66A as some sort of joke. Whatever, this move is really good at closing distance for SW stance usage.

CL 33B(mash): Linear Mid, decent range, safe.

CL 66K: Also very safe, decent range. It is a high though, unfortunately.

WP: You really shouldn't be trying to close distance in WP.

The Spacing Game

I might be mistaken but CL 6B is a pretty good push away and CL 4B is a decent closer - mid range anyway.

Back