Strategy/Playstyle Discussion + general Q&A

SWBeta

[08] Mercenary
This thread is for all other SCIV Nightmare gameplay discussion that does not involve tech traps or combos. For example, discussion of individual moves and their properties, "Top 10 Move" lists, etc.

I'll start off by saying a:G+A is excellent. What followups do you use after it on block? I usually do another a:G+A or a 6K. Apparently, you get a guaranteed, uninterruptable throw attempt after it on block. Just read about it. Good shit.

Strategy/Playstyle Discussion.

thanks for the info i will try that

do you have any other good moves for him?

These are some of his good stuff:

33B: His main launcher. You can get some pretty good damage off of it with his followup combos (The staple is 33B6~GS B to oki). You can also use it in tech traps (33B, {opp. left techs} 1A...). It can also be used as a whiff punisher (after sidestepping verts, for instance) or combo enders (CH GS A > 4KK > 33B). It's a very versatile move. Nightmare's #1 move, without a shadow of a doubt.

6K: This is your friend against close-ranged opponents. Amazing interrupter. Fast, knocks down, and pushes far on CH. Not too much push back on block, though. It's a high, so it can be ducked if you throw it around needlessly.

3K: Nowhere near as good as SC3's 3K, but it can still be worked into his poking game. Can be charged (delayed), and if it hits after the full delay, it will KD a pretty good distance. Pretty good tool for controlling mid range space.

7_8_9K: Solid move. Very good to throw out especially when you see a low coming. KDs on CH.

A+K: It's a solid move when used as a close range standing punisher (on block). Now that it ATs on normal hit, the damage is quite good. So use whenever the opponent is at a big enough frame disadvantage on block (and close enough). Use 6K if you're not close enough, or 6A if 6K isn't close enough.

1K: His best low. The frame advantage/disadvantage was better in SC3, but it's still pretty decent in 4. If it lands on CH, you get an uninterruptable WS K. It's a good low poke; probably his only viable one.

WS K: His best WS move. Fast and decent range. Also, on CH, you get an uninterruptable 1K. Do you see a pattern here?

66K6: A pretty good mid. It TCs, and if you hold 6 afterward, Nightmare shifts to GS. It's his fastest entry to GS. Using it without the GS transition isn't really viable, imo. Lots of minus frames if blocked, as opposed to shifting to GS (which TC's any AAs that would otherwise have punished) and having GS mixups.

6A: Quick move with lots of range. Best used as a whiff or block punisher at mid to long ranges.

GS A: This move Auto-GI's verts, is pretty fast, gives a LOT of advantage if hit on CH (combo after it lands on CH: CH GS A > 4KK > 33B). It's a high, though, so it can be ducked. Use sparringly.

a[B]: When this hits, you get an uninterruptable NSS K. It doesn't FC on block or hit anymore like in SC3, so it's not as good, but it's still good enough to be used from time to time.

a:G+A: Already explained above.

Low throw: Now that you have the option to throw backward, its usefulness has spiked a bit. It's a great option out of GS, and can be used in a variety of situations. Good move.

I'm kinda learning him now, a:G+A is real good... especially now that i know it's not a,g,a =P

free throw attempt is nice.

11K is a decent poke, too, btw. Good to throw in every now and then.

Also, 7_8_9K is pretty good. Not as good as SC2's, but still pretty good. After a 33B > GS B combo, I 50/50 my BT 2K with G~9K. It can be done fast enough that it can't be seen and reacted to fast enough. Much better (safer) option than BT B.

33B is a really good move

33B , GS A > interupt it if you can dude XD !!!
33B, A+K > cool and good damage
33B, 22_88B > tech trap eat it :]
33B , 66B > tech trap again roll and you'll fly into the sky lol..!
33B , GS , BT B+K > I use this a lot :)

Wow, I completely forgot about 33B, 22_88B.

Good stuff, Cupui.

what use do you guys see for the 1A and 1aK. ive been trying to use them some and having success but i dont know if thats because of the lackluster level of competition

1A and 1Ak is used for mixup when your opponent loves to GI you 1A or jump your 1A
1A is the best nightmare's low IMO
must use it :)

i abuse the crap out of it, but im also a huge supporter of 1K and its mixup potential. ie 1K > CH B+G etc etc

here's how u use 1K
if it's CH. ATTACCCK!!!
if it's not or it's block stop attacking or
use B+K for whiffing your opponent who want to punish u. after they whiff use NSS A+B. and let them EAT 2A+B
It's a good trick using 1K

thx to my teacher who teach me this :P

Nightmare Web Theater.

as I think I said I'm new to SC so the reason for that question is that it just doesn't look like GB does all that much other than enabling you to keep the pressure on your opp (which I just realized why Soul Charge is good now...). but what can nightmare do to capitalize off of GBs?

testament101:

some guard breaks are advantage on block, some are not, look at my guide and they are explained ona move by move basis. guard break honestly means nearly nothing.

"it depends on frame advantage and distance

for example at +0 from agA on guard:
66K beats high attacks
66B+K/9B/9K beats low attacks
sidestep dodges linear mids
backstep, B+K, and bA can dodge random stuff
block
1K or 6K to beat slow moves (66K does this as well)
agA again to hit their step or backstep

in soul charge you can do:
3B > throw
3 > NSS A+B as a mixup. some characters with fast A can interrupt NSS A+B so use NSS [A] to beat those

agA just frame on guard:
33B will beat anything that isn't a super fast high move. 11K beats everything. throw beats guard." - from caliburforum

CAS affects Nightmare?

I was just wondering if making a non-nightmare CAS affects/effects (Dont know which one it is) his punch attacks, since Nightmare originally has a giant claw on his hand while CaS just have their fists. (like 6k)

CAS affects Nightmare?

It seems like the grab range is the same between a CAS with a Nightmare style and the real Nightmare. Same thing should be true for the punches. As for Kamikirimusi, it seems she has a smaller step than Nightmare just because she's a lot shorter/smaller. Ultimately, you should just stick with Nightmare, 'cause the animations look kinda weird when your character doesn't have a giant claw ;P.

CAS affects Nightmare?

You know i was just about to bring up something like this on the topic of speed. Ive got a CaS Nighty and am no nightmare rookie so i more or less know whats going on. I do fair but vs the AI i dont know if it reads my inputs and just says "oh ill have none of that" or if the moves are actually faster with the regular nightmare. Becuase every time i fight a Cas Nighty vs Regular Nighty i wind up with odd looking results. The opponent seems faster than i ever could be. Maybe its the way i play nightmare im not sure, but any help here would be greatly appreciated.

CAS affects Nightmare?

Hitboxes for NM's claw are the same for a CAS's regular hand, I'm pretty sure. GS~A and 2B both have little auras of light that show where the actual hit areas are, and these are the same for a NM CAS and the original. Now in terms of speed, that's a really good question and I'm not sure of the answer. I can tell you that heavier armor pieces affect your movement speed; I'm not sure if heavier upper-body armor affects your attack speed too. I would hope not, because if it's true then the chicks have it ridiculously good compared to the dudes (many of their best bonus-giving equipment is light or medium, whereas probably 80% of the good equipment for males is heavy). I'm not sure though.

One potentially troubling thing. Amy is by most accounts a pretty nasty character, but one limitation she has is a lack of range. Amy CASs most definitely get better hitboxes (range) than regular Amy. Scheherazade illustrates this, since she's effectively a pre-made Amy CAS. So that particular character I would say is changed. But NM, I don't think so (at least ranges, not sure about speed/frames).

Back