Street Fighter 4: ....Screw it, I tried.

Laswagga

[09] Warrior
Alright, so after playing this game since the day it came out its been the same bullshit over and over again. Ken, RYu, akuma, and Sagat's bullshit uppercuts that people LOVE to abuse the shit out of. Honda, Blanka, dictator, and claw doing the exact same shit. Charge, fly at you, turtle, charge, fly at you. I honestly sat down one day and practiced for 12 hours straight. I studied frame-data, I've studied safe combo's, i've even studied match ups only to LOSE in the end to another bitch ass Shoto player and his godly uppercut technique thats gotten him 6000 BP points. The lack of an air-block and the addition of block damage doesn't help my situation either.

I don't like to sound like a cry baby, even though I know for a fact that I already do so I don't blame you for ripping me apart about it if you so choose, but this game has absolutely ruined my love for SF games. No amount of practice is going to get you closer to winning and the people that are good at the game have been playing for like 15 fucking years now, so all you have to rely on if you want to win are your Dragon Punch abilities and I absolutely refuse to go so low as to start spamming Dragon Punches just to make some progress. If I can't do it the right way, then i'm not going to do the shit at all. Have any of you guys just given up on this game yet? I need something other than Soul Calibur IV and Killzone 2 under my belt. Any suggestions on other competitive games? (fighting or FPS preferably, but i'm open to everything.)

I've studied safe combo's, i've even studied match ups only to LOSE in the end to another bitch ass Shoto player and his godly uppercut technique thats gotten him 6000 BP points. The lack of an air-block and the addition of block damage doesn't help my situation either.

Combos by definition are safe. lol

and air block? street fighter 4 is an old style 2D fighter, has none of this air block you speak of. jumping is a risky endeavor, and you just gotta think of alternative means to get in, or only jump when you are sure they will do a fireball and not have time to DP

Jumping isn't my problem here, I was just saying that I dislike not being able to block while in the air like I can in MVC2 and other games of that nature. My problem is with all the bullshit in general, not JUST the lack of the ability to block while in the air. And I mean "safe combos" as in, if they're blocked I don't have to worry about getting punished heavily for attempting it.

I studied frame-data, I've studied safe combo's, i've even studied match ups only to LOSE in the end to another bitch ass Shoto player and his godly uppercut technique thats gotten him 6000 BP points. The lack of an air-block and the addition of block damage doesn't help my situation either.

I don't like to sound like a cry baby, even though I know for a fact that I already do so I don't blame you for ripping me apart about it if you so choose, but this game has absolutely ruined my love for SF games. No amount of practice is going to get you closer to winning and the people that are good at the game have been playing for like 15 fucking years now, so all you have to rely on if you want to win are your Dragon Punch abilities and I absolutely refuse to go so low as to start spamming Dragon Punches just to make some progress. If I can't do it the right way, then i'm not going to do the shit at all. Have any of you guys just given up on this game yet? I need something other than Soul Calibur IV and Killzone 2 under my belt. Any suggestions on other competitive games? (fighting or FPS preferably, but i'm open to everything.)

1) SAFE combos wtf, what is a combo again?? and why are you trying to play sf4 entirely on frame data?
2) Shoto's don't have it totally easy, it still requires some skill/knowledge of the game to not get raped in high level play.
3)Block damage, you mean Chip damage right? That's always been in competitive 2D fighters as far as I can recall.
4) Practice helps alot, same with Soul Cal. I actually apply alot of Soul cal concepts to street fighter and it helps my game quite a bit, aside from stepping.
5)Dragon Punch? bait it and punish it, it's not difficult. Also stop jumping nothing in this game requires you to jump, i've seen some good players that never jump.
6) spamming dragon punches are unsafe as hell as is so why do it?
7) Also, Air block? why would you need air block? and like tiamat said it's a old style 2D figher and just don't jump, again i've seen some good players that don't jump at all hardly.

1) SAFE combos wtf, what is a combo again?? and why are you trying to play sf4 entirely on frame data?
2) Shoto's don't have it totally easy, it still requires some skill/knowledge of the game to not get raped in high level play.
3)Block damage, you mean Chip damage right? That's always been in competitive 2D fighters as far as I can recall.
4) Practice helps alot, same with Soul Cal. I actually apply alot of Soul cal concepts to street fighter and it helps my game quite a bit, aside from stepping.
5)Dragon Punch? bait it and punish it, it's not difficult. Also stop jumping nothing in this game requires you to jump, i've seen some good players that never jump.
6) spamming dragon punches are unsafe as hell as is so why do it?
7) Also, Air block? why would you need air block? and like tiamat said it's a old style 2D figher and just don't jump, again i've seen some good players that don't jump at all hardly.

Easier said than done, unfortunately.
I'm a 3D fighter at my very core. The games I do the most damage in have always been 3D, Tekken, DOA, Virtual Fighter, and my most recent being Soul Calibur. But once again, JUMPING is not my problem. its all the rest of the BS that i've experienced while playing this game that i'm talking about. And yes, I can win. I've won a couple of rounds, but its just not worth it to me because it always boils down to whoever can spam the better move more times in a row. And I mean, I main Sakura and Chun-Li on SF4 so if you have some idea on how to "not jump at all" while playing and still remain deadly then let me know. Some of the easiest matches i've had have been just me jumping the fuck around and HKing them in the head everytime I get close.

Its a habit.

Well if you mean online I've had that problem too

It's not worth it to go for really hard long links as if you mess up, or even if you just don't compensate for input lag, you'll eat an SRK or SPD in the gap.

I've lost many times to bad players mashing out ultra during my combos simply because of a lag spike

So to win you have to dumb down your game to the point where it's just not interesting. As abel I used L.mp into rekkas only. Punish whiffed uppercuts with tornado throw. Really boring basic stuff.

So yeah I understand. Just the turtle nature of the game itself turned me off at first(my 2D roots are in GG and KoF), but when I couldn't even get a satisfying match online I just put the game away and decided to bide my time for KoF12, BB and Tekken 6. Which are all more my speed anyways

So yeah I understand. Just the turtle nature of the game itself turned me off at first(my 2D roots are in GG and KoF), but when I couldn't even get a satisfying match online I just put the game away and decided to bide my time for KoF12, BB and Tekken 6. Which are all more my speed anyways

This happened with me exactally the same way, I think its because I'm used to the super agressiveness of GG ect.

bait block punish, and know your link, online samethign just shorten your links. and dont jump around like a retard, end of story :)

Same here as far as the speed and aggresiveness of GG, BB and especially KoF. I absolutely LOVE the KoF series, and I had already decided that when the next installment came out for consoles SF4 was getting the boot. But I mean, I would still like to enjoy it. Street Fighter is a staple in the gaming community, why shouldn't I be able to enjoy it? Thats the kind of thinking that put me in this position.

bait block punish, and know your link, online samethign just shorten your links. and dont jump around like a retard, end of story :)

And that's PAINFULLY boring

My complaint lies not in that I can't win, but that I have no fun doing it.

You have to play really simplistic to win, and when you go for riskier more exciting things, you'll lose to terrible players just by how the game is coded.

and then there are just straight up annoying online tactics on top of that

I think the game is a good tournament game. Offline it's probably the most balanced Capcom game since Vampire Savior and with consistent timing, going for harder moves is ALOT less of a risk.

but if online is your only option I think quitting is perfectly understandable

Las,

its just not your game, theres nothing with it, you tried and thats all that matters right?

Las,

its just not your game, theres nothing with it, you tried and thats all that matters right?

I guess, but I want to be good at this game damnit! I don't like dropping things out of frustration, but I just simply can't take it anymore! Arrrggghhhh.

I feel for ya. I can't get into that game either. It hurts my head on a competitive level. Beyond spamming hadukens and trying to shoryuken on the jump i can't get anything to look strategic.

Don't jump.

...Because thats a realistic thing to say. Sometimes you just gotta.

He's actually right. Focus dash through fireballs, utilize jumping straight up moves, things like that. Jump ins are just plain bad in this game, but you've got other options. I'm considering quitting it as well, but more because the pace of the game is too slow, unless I want to take a chance on eating random DP into Ultra. But it's entirely possible to limit your jump ins and close the gap through other methods.

Back